Zeitgeist Half Marathon
40F / 4C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 39m 9s
Overall Rank = 25/633
Age Group = 40-45
Age Group Rank = 8/55
Pre-race routine:

10am start time, so plenty of time to get ready. Woke up normally. Ate my regular breakfast ( oatmeal made with milk, mixed with yogurt a little jam and blueberries, and two pieces of toast with butter. Total of about 630 calories.

The wife and I picked up her sister, and we were off. It is about 30minute drive to the race start. Got our packets, numbered up and hit the bathrooms. Then waited. It was cold, and tried to rain a couple times so we hung out under a tent and waited for our other friends and the race start. As always our other friends were just in time. They were pinning numbers on as we were walking to the start line.
Event warmup:

Just relaxed, and did a little dynamic stretching to stay warm.
Run
  • 1h 39m 9s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

This is not a flat easy course. Two major hills, one minor, and rollers for the last couple miles. About 1100ft of gain on this course.

Before I get into my report I have to give a shout out to my wife. She also ran the race, and has now completed her first half marathon!

This was the first time I have ever raced with a good plan. I decided to lock onto a heart rate, and race to that. I knew I could sustain 160bpm for at least ten miles, so that was my goal, 160bpm for the entire race.

Because of waiting for our friends the start chute was packed. I decided to hang back and wait for it to clear, it's chip timed, and even by waiting I bet my gun time would be the same by letting the crowd thin.

I took off just about a minute after the official start. I ran at a perceived ez pace as I worked my way through the crowds towards the front. Within the first mile the running was basically clear. The first hill start around a mile in, and last for two. About 600ft of rise, so it's not too bad, but it's there. I ignored my pace, and just ran at 160bpm. Cresting the top I felt great, and really let myself stride out on the backside. I passed quite a few more people on the backside. Down to the bottom where we run through a little subdivision, there at mile 4 is the 2nd aid station, I grabbed a water and took a sip without breaking stride and was off.

After the subdivision is the middle hill. It is not high or steep, but it was the toughest part of the race for me. Still my HR was locked in, and I was happy. Another sip of water at the mile 6 aid station, blast down the back of the middle hill, and look up the the last big hill.

Last big hill, just over a mile, 400ft or so of gain, with the last couple hundred yds pretty steep. I was flagging just a bit. Noticed I had been running for about 48 minutes, so I popped a couple shot blocks. Kept my HR in line and crested the hill. I got passed by several people going up the hil, but left most of them in the dust ( for good) on the back of the hill.

The rest of the race was just running. It got progressively harder to maintain my HR. I was passed by 3-4 guys, and passed an 11 yr old boy who was running the race as well. He had a great race going, but was nearing the end of his line, and taking some walking breaks. Still, kudos for him, he was under a 8min pace on a tough course.

About 200 yds before the finish there's a short stupid steep hill, I walked it last year. This year it was an easy run to the top, then striding out to finish strong.

What would you do differently?:

Not much. Maybe try and kick it up just a little sooner near the finish. Maybe try for HR of 165-170 next race?
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out and waited for my friends, relatives and wife to finish. I did grab my drop bag and put on some layers. The wind was cold! Had a blast watching my wife and her sister kick it up and sprint to the finish.

We all hit the food tents, ate the meal, and then took off. It was just too cold to hang out for awards and raffles (plus I am building a garage, and had to get some work done)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing. In fact I felt so good after the race I wonder how much harder I could have pushed.

Event comments:

I am stoked about this race and my finish time. This was my first real comparison race. Same course, similar weather, just different me. Last year in my first ever half marathon I ran a 10:22 pace and over 2:15 for the race, I also had to walk several times in the last miles. This year it was a 7:34 pace, and over 35 minutes faster! To finish in the top 25 of a large field is awesome, and to do it with gas left in the tank has me wondering what's next?

The only downside is I outran all the ladies, so there was no late race pick-me-up scenery ;)

Last updated: 2014-11-09 12:00 AM
Running
01:39:09 | 13.1 miles | 07m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/55
Overall: 25/633
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-11-09 10:15 AM

User image

Subject: Zeitgeist Half Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Zeitgeist Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Zeitgeist Half Marathon

Started by chosenprovidence
Views: 1651 Posts: 3

2008-11-05 4:10 PM JoshR

Zeitgeist Half Marathon

Started by jeffnboise
Views: 1591 Posts: 3

2008-11-02 6:15 PM BabsVa

Zeitgeist Half Marathon

Started by mattfuxan
Views: 744 Posts: 1

2007-11-06 4:45 PM mattfuxan

Zeitgeist Half Marathon

Started by dochalladay
Views: 1471 Posts: 3

2009-02-21 3:24 AM kaveman

Zeitgeist Half Marathon

Started by dochalladay
Views: 910 Posts: 3

2006-11-06 7:14 PM dochalladay
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : June 15, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
I just ran the Boston Marathon under nine minute miles, can I run eight minute miles for my half Ironman training runs? Or should I go slower?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : June 10, 2008
author : kns57
Steady is our walk. Ignoring the pain that is radiating from my feet, I continue to place one foot in front of the other. Again I wonder, “Why am I doing this?”
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.
date : October 2, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 2
I will assume you have not run consistently more than 6 miles and have never completed a half-marathon. I believe running your first half-marathon is a big task which requires dedication and work.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.