General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Power vs HR zone training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-11-10 7:02 AM

User image

The Woodlands, Texas
Subject: Power vs HR zone training

Hey all,

I'm doing my first full in May (Ironman Texas). My training program is all heart rate zone based (Don Fink's Be Iron Fit - Competitive Plan). I really want to try training with power but wondering how I can translate HR to power, if it's even possible? If it is possible, I don't have power meter on my bike sooo... I'd be back to square one and using my HRM strap to keep an eye on HR during the race.

As I type this out, I seemed to have answered my own question. I'm just throwing this out here to see if others may have done similar.

Thanks!

2014-11-10 7:31 AM
in reply to: m3bella

Subject: RE: Power vs HR zone training
Seems you have the answer. If you do not have a power meter than you do not have the option to train by power. If you purchase a power meter than you don't need to translate HR to power you simply set you training zones by testing. Once you have the results you can use those numbers to plan your training.
2014-11-10 7:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

I'm stealing a line from someone but it always makes sense:

Power (how much force you apply to the drivetrain) is an input, heart rate is an output.  There are also a ton of variables that go into heart rate like how much you slept, what you ate, how hydrated you are, how hot it is, etc.  That's why HR can be a hard metric by which to gauge performance from day-to-day and from workout-to-wokout.  It's not consistent.  But it's a good race day indicator about how your body is reacting to the work you're doing.

You can ride a ton with both a power meter and a heart rate monitor and pour over the data and see if you can find some translation.  Maybe you find some translation, maybe you don't.

2014-11-10 7:50 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Elite
Ontario

Plenty of folks riding with power during the winter with TrainerRoad or something similiar and then correlating power to HR once outside again.  Just need to be willing to adjust/compensate for effort level indoors to outdoors as well.  And FWIW, many only train with HR and can be very successful with it.

2014-11-10 7:53 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

It doesn't necessarily need to be an either/or proposition.  An effective approach can be to train with virtual power using Trainer Road or similar from now until the first of the year, focusing on increasing your FTP (functional threshold power), collecting HR data alongside the virtual power.  Then, begin race-specific training using HR.

2014-11-10 7:54 AM

Master
Northern IL

GMAN, where did that come from? Notably different from what I've seen. Curious if the context mattered.

And back to the OP, are you asking about a conversion factor to change the HR data you collect into power? That wouldn't be any more helpful than HR itself as they'll all be based on HR in the first place. If you don't get an actual powermeter, you could try virtual power on the trainer and watch your HR there.

2014-11-10 9:51 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by brigby1

GMAN, where did that come from? Notably different from what I've seen. Curious if the context mattered.

I should've elaborated more but I was posting from my smart phone and didn't feel like typing anymore than I already had.

Power is both an input and an output depending on how you want to look at it.

It's an input if you think about it like I mentioned... the amount of force you're applying to the drivetrain.  It's an output as well... that amount of force produces a certain number of watts.  Your heart rate is strictly an output kind of number.  I'm trying to find the exact quote but I can't recall whether I read it here, on ST or at EN.

2014-11-10 10:24 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by GMAN 19030

I should've elaborated more but I was posting from my smart phone and didn't feel like typing anymore than I already had.

Power is both an input and an output depending on how you want to look at it.

It's an input if you think about it like I mentioned... the amount of force you're applying to the drivetrain.  It's an output as well... that amount of force produces a certain number of watts.  Your heart rate is strictly an output kind of number.  I'm trying to find the exact quote but I can't recall whether I read it here, on ST or at EN.

What I've seen best was from Jordan. And that was power is an output. HR is an indication of an output, but not quite a direct output. I haven't thought so much on parts of the power being an input, so will let that thought think is some before saying anything.

2014-11-10 10:24 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
I guess the input and output terms are crossed. Here is Joe Friel's explanation that made sense to me: http://www.joefrielsblog.com/2012/01/why-you-need-a-power-meter.htm...

Edited by GAUG3 2014-11-10 10:54 AM
2014-11-10 10:45 AM
in reply to: #5066434

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
I probably completely butchered the quote I was going after. I can't find the original source.
2014-11-10 1:00 PM

Originally posted by m3bella

Hey all,

I'm doing my first full in May (Ironman Texas). My training program is all heart rate zone based (Don Fink's Be Iron Fit - Competitive Plan). I really want to try training with power but wondering how I can translate HR to power, if it's even possible? If it is possible, I don't have power meter on my bike sooo... I'd be back to square one and using my HRM strap to keep an eye on HR during the race.

As I type this out, I seemed to have answered my own question. I'm just throwing this out here to see if others may have done similar.

Thanks!

You absolutely can do it, but it does require a small hardware investment.

If you have a trainer, and do the bulk of bike indoors, you can get power estimates that are pretty good for power-based training using software like Trainerroad (costs), perfpro (costs), veloreality (free), and the new Maximumtrainer (free). The power numbers won't be very accurate, but they will be precise enough to allow quality training like "ride at 90% of FTP" which is how you train via power. 

To correlate HR, just make a chart of what power corresponds with what HR. That should get you pretty close. Yes, there are variables that decouple HR from power especially on late-fatigue workout stages, but for the most part, it's pretty good. 

It's a good idea anyway to know how your body responds both in terms of HR and power for perceived effort on race day. More than once I've found one or the other unreliable on race day unexpectedly.

2014-11-10 1:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Take at look at the Cycleops PowerCal: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2012/11/cycleops-powercal-in-depth-revie...

Maybe it can help you with what you want. If I were you, I would go with trainerroad and pay attention to the power and HR numbers along with PE.
2014-11-11 6:53 AM
in reply to: GAUG3

User image

The Woodlands, Texas

Thanks everyone for the replies!

I started my training based on HR then a couple of weeks ago started thinking about power. My wife stumbled across TrainerRoad and it looked promising; I could build custom workouts based on HR intervals on my plan. Then I find out that TR only uses virtual power for the custom plan creator. Bummer!

Still, power interests me and I'm pretty certain I'd get stronger with a PM. The downside: I don't have a dedicated PM and really not in my budget. So, even though TR is $10/month, once I'm on the road it's all a guessing game.

Thanks again everyone!

2014-11-11 7:30 AM

Master
Northern IL

Fyi, it's not actually necessary to use power for 100% of your riding to see benefits from using it.

2014-11-11 8:54 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Fyi, it's not actually necessary to use power for 100% of your riding to see benefits from using it.

^^^ Ditto.

I train with virtual power on the trainer, most of my rides are on the trainer.  I monitor HR too while on the trainer but don't use it as a training metric.  In fact I cannot achieve the same LT HR average on the trainer as I can outside, its was always about 4-6 bpm less.  For the trainer, HR lag during any kind of interval workout makes HR undesirable for me, especially comparing the 1st interval to the last interval.  VP you know what you have to hit and maintain and is a vast improvement for monitoring gains. 

I monitor HR on outdoor rides and during races and correlated RPE.  This past spring I PR'd a sprint by sacrificing some speed on the bike and keeping HR in low-mid Z4 range and being able to blitz the run.

FYI, there's a new trainer program out in beta (maximum trainer) that allows you to build workouts in either HR or W.  Its free and getting good feedback/reviews.  The developer has been very response to fixes and improvements and I'm slowly adding the BT Winter Cycling Plan Power workouts to it.

2014-11-11 11:43 AM

Originally posted by m3bella

Thanks everyone for the replies!

I started my training based on HR then a couple of weeks ago started thinking about power. My wife stumbled across TrainerRoad and it looked promising; I could build custom workouts based on HR intervals on my plan. Then I find out that TR only uses virtual power for the custom plan creator. Bummer!

Still, power interests me and I'm pretty certain I'd get stronger with a PM. The downside: I don't have a dedicated PM and really not in my budget. So, even though TR is $10/month, once I'm on the road it's all a guessing game.

Thanks again everyone!

You can start out without the $10/month investment by using veloreality or maximumtrainer. 

2014-11-13 5:14 AM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

The Woodlands, Texas

Just a quick update: I used Maximum Trainer last night for the first time. The "virtual" PM is all new to me but I can see how I can (more or less) correlate power with HR. This is just my first impression.

Everyone has been extremely helpful with your replies. Of course, now I'm looking at a couple of "training with power" books (Joe Friel and Hunter Alan).

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Power vs HR zone training Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

HR zone training test...a little worried about HR

Started by bigpaps
Views: 1136 Posts: 9

2012-03-26 4:51 PM Kido

HR, pacing and power - testing, zones Pages: 1 2

Started by KirkD
Views: 3005 Posts: 46

2010-12-16 10:08 AM bryancd

Running HR zones and pace zones don't jive Pages: 1 2

Started by UrsusAdiposimus
Views: 3997 Posts: 38

2010-03-10 4:57 PM Experior

HR Training vs distance vs time vs...

Started by fester808
Views: 1609 Posts: 9

2009-04-15 1:29 PM fester808

HR zone questions...trouble staying in zones

Started by kimmitri408
Views: 1474 Posts: 11

2007-11-17 8:15 PM EABonney
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 6, 2011
author : mikericci
comments : 4
Triathlon Coach explains Zone 1 and Zone 2 training and the benefits of each training zone

date : March 4, 2009
author : jasongootman
comments : 0
In this third part, we discuss bike workout types and how they relate to power training. Power analysis of workouts included. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.
date : January 20, 2009
In this second part, we discuss indoor, outdoor and ramp functional threshold tests to determine your power training zones. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.

date : December 3, 2008
What is power training? In this first part, learn the terms and definitions associated with power training. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.
date : October 21, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
Training with a power meter will make sure that you are spending every minute on the bike effectively. Racing with a power meter will keep you humble and in your proper zones on race day.

date : September 3, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Questions on training plan sport ratios, staying in HR zones, my HIM run suffers, training for a hot race, tri or road bike for a HIM and the length for a run focused training block.
date : April 1, 2008
author : sportfactory
comments : 1
How will a power meter help my cycling training and racing? A few questions and answers will help determine if a power meter will be good for you.

date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 8
Training plan terms and definitions for use in silver and gold member plan workouts. Many workout drills include VIDEO tutorials, see links below.