General Discussion Triathlon Talk » In Praise of Hansons Advanced Marathon Training Plan Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-11-13 5:52 AM
in reply to: 5Books

New user
Key West
Subject: RE: In Praise of Hansons Advanced Marathon Training Plan
Originally posted by 5Books

Scott71, your background is similar to mine, vis-a-vis the half marathons. Used Hansons at age 64 (running my first ever 26.2 mile distance!) and turned in a 3:50 and change. Never hit the talked about wall, but my legs felt just a tad wobbly between miles 22-24 before I got a second wind and finished fairly strong. The 2nd time through the program was where I thought the magic was. At age 65, ran a 3:39:01! Strong the whole way, passing lots of people between miles 18-26, despite again not running more than 16 miles in training as a long run. However, I will not lie, it is a tough, demanding program. And there is no free lunch. While your weekend won't come with a 20-22 mile running requirement, you'll be hit with mid-week workouts that require a lot of time. I am a much better runner having done Hansons, as the gains made in speed and stamina have stayed with me.

Great results. I am definitely going to use the Plan again for my next marathon. I have only run 2 marathons, out of 6 or 7, where I did not hit the Wall, and this was one of them. So much better from a psychological standpoint too. It is a tough Plan though and there were many times I felt like I was going to burn out before the end, especially because I trained in hot very humid weather, but sticking with it paid off.

2014-11-13 2:22 PM
in reply to: topolina

User image

Congrats on your first place AG! I had that, too, and getting a special piece of bling later in the mail was great. With regards to your fueling, I also took gels with me. My regimen -- one gel 15 minutes pre-race, then gels at 4 miles, 8 miles, 12 miles, and 18 miles. I was going to take one at 22 miles, but couldn't get it down. Hansons notes the importance of race fueling, and suggest that the long runs are the time to experiment with what works best for you. As far as I'm concerned, they covered all the bases.
2014-11-14 8:32 AM
in reply to: 5Books

New user
Key West
Originally posted by 5Books

Congrats on your first place AG! I had that, too, and getting a special piece of bling later in the mail was great. With regards to your fueling, I also took gels with me. My regimen -- one gel 15 minutes pre-race, then gels at 4 miles, 8 miles, 12 miles, and 18 miles. I was going to take one at 22 miles, but couldn't get it down. Hansons notes the importance of race fueling, and suggest that the long runs are the time to experiment with what works best for you. As far as I'm concerned, they covered all the bases.

Thanks. I was really just focused on getting a BQ time, but I figured that if I did, I would likely place in my AG. But, it was a pleasant surprise to find out later that night I came in first. The GU worked for me and I didn't have any stomach trouble during the race. The next day or so I had some issues, but nothing major.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » In Praise of Hansons Advanced Marathon Training Plan Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Signing up for IM (12 months in advance) without having run a stand alone marathon

Started by mtnbikerchk
Views: 1976 Posts: 25

2014-08-02 8:45 PM niceguy542006

Recommend an advanced half marathon plan?

Started by swishyskirt
Views: 3913 Posts: 18

2014-09-18 9:21 PM colinphillips

BT Advanced IM training plan - comments

Started by LazyRiver
Views: 1060 Posts: 3

2013-05-16 2:30 PM axteraa

Advancing tri training and career

Started by ellismichael
Views: 951 Posts: 5

2005-02-14 11:06 PM mcobu

Advanced training programs?

Started by TH3_FRB
Views: 957 Posts: 6

2004-12-10 11:41 AM TH3_FRB
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 30, 2011
comments : 0
How do you incorporate marathon training into a triathlon training plan?

date : February 3, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Scheduling workouts in the Custom Training Plan Creator for an ideal, balanced, injury-free season
date : October 13, 2009
I signed up for Ironman Frankfurt, next year July - and I am very excited about it. I originally planned to run my first Marathon in the middle of September, but am not sure if this is wise.

date : January 9, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This plan is an advanced plan in terms of volume and intensity and appropriate for someone who is looking to go under 5:00 and as fast as 4:30. There isn’t a lot of fluff in the plan.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : October 24, 2005
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.
date : October 24, 2005
comments : 3
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 3:00-4:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.

date : July 17, 2005
author : Brandon Heflin
So how do you plan for a season? Below, I’ve created a simple five step process to use as a primer for season planning.