General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IMFL to IMCoz BACK-TO-BACK questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-11-10 10:58 AM

User image

Subject: IMFL to IMCoz BACK-TO-BACK questions
Hey all!

I raced IMFL last week, and as many of you know, the swim was cancelled. This was necessary but left a bad taste in my mouth and I felt the need to do a full Ironman this year. So, I am officially registered for IMCoz and my bike will be shipped on Wednesday! I am excited, nervous, and still a little worn out from the excitement of IMFL. My body feels 90% recovered, but my mind may not be there yet.

I took last week completely off except for one easy swim and one aqua fitness class (because I am the instructor). I have also done some stretching and foam rolling. I think I am ready to get back in the saddle, but not 100% sure what to do. I am guessing I do not need many long bricks or crazy long workouts since I just did the longest brick of my life (112 bike/26.2 mile run) last weekend. Here is what I was thinking in general, but would love feedback from any veterans:

-Add my swim workouts back in at full distance since IMCoz is not wetsuit legal and I have technically swam in about 2 weeks (for more than some 800 meter practice swims in FL during my stay). Keep the same swim schedule that I did leading up to IMFL.

-Add in 2-3 bike rides per week focusing more on speed and power than distance. May do 1 three hour bike ride this week before I send my bike off, though. Otherwise, maybe a 2 hour ride next week and then taper down.

-Run my normal schedule aside from anything very long- 1 hour run on Tuesdays and Thursdays with some light pick-ups/bursts at the end of each session (6X30 second or 6X1 minute). Keep my speed and confidence up. Longest run being 10 miles sometime in the next 2 weeks.

I have just been doing research but cannot find much on the topic. I did talk briefly to a local coach but he didn't give me too many details and I am not in a position to hire a coach for part of a month.

Thanks!

2014-11-10 11:57 AM
in reply to: midwesttrimom

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: IMFL to IMCoz BACK-TO-BACK questions

If you've been following a training plan, repeat as many weeks leading up to the next race as you can with the following caveats:

1)  You need to recover from your 138.2 mile brick.  If your legs aren't up to a 5-6 hour ride or a 3 hour run, you're not going to lose fitness skipping that kind of workout. 

2)  You need to get your mind engaged in doing another race including the preparation leading up to it.  You've had to put off the "done with that" thoughts of training.  You're still waiting for training to be over instead of basking in the glory that you trained and completed your goal.  If you had any "I hate my bike" thoughts before, expect them to come back with a vengeance.  

On the flip side...you've successfully avoided the "now what?" and post-IM malaise that often hits after completing an IM race.  

2014-11-11 8:51 AM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Regular
Clermont, Florida
I think McFuzz is spot-on. I'm going for a fall triple - did Chattanooga, then Florida and headed to Cozumel. I'm doing essentially this with my training plans - pasted the last four weeks of my plan for each, but did not worry if I didnt have the legs for the long bike or run the weekend after the race. I also race much differently than many others here as I am in it only to finish, and have a lengthy pedigree of last two hour finishes. That said, you have already built a huge aerobic base that you can rely on, and you will be fine. Enjoy the race. Unfortunately the race group here in BT never really caught on, so there hasn't been much talk this year. Hope that helps.
2014-11-26 11:43 PM
in reply to: exnavydoc

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
It takes me something like 16 weeks to recover from one IM to the next and performance is sucky on the second. Luck. Basically recover, do what you can and pace well.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IMFL to IMCoz BACK-TO-BACK questions Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

IMFL: Car crash, TKO in 2010, back in 2011

Started by cwsiii
Views: 1869 Posts: 16

2011-11-07 8:06 AM cwsiii

100 milers back to back?

Started by ballyard7
Views: 1631 Posts: 21

2009-05-11 10:34 AM bschulte

Back to back HIM

Started by dropdeadjersey
Views: 1249 Posts: 6

2008-12-15 12:33 AM rsqdvr

Back to back HIM

Started by dropdeadjersey
Views: 771 Posts: 5

2008-11-18 7:50 PM dropdeadjersey

Back to back ironman races

Started by jonathan22
Views: 1548 Posts: 10

2008-07-30 2:19 PM Shermbelle
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 30, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 4
Fast forward to now after many triathlons and marathons, my back is worse than ever. What helps lumbar back issues? Shots, physical therapy, surgery?

date : December 14, 2011
comments : 2
What is the recommended way to recover from a cycling-related lower back injury?
date : December 14, 2011
comments : 0
After surgery for a herniated disc, is running causing a repeat injury?

date : January 28, 2010
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on doing Ironman Wisconsin on a road bike and a training plan for back-to-back centuries.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
Video of the kicking on your back swim drill.

date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
My back wheel needs to be trued up. It has a slight side-to-side wobble, and I feel at times like I'm going to lose control when I ride. Is this something that I should only trust to my LBS to do?
date : September 15, 2008
author : lcthomas74
Soon after I got married, I decided I needed to get motivated to work out and focus on getting back into shape. I could barely jog a quarter-mile without needing a walk break.

date : March 22, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on running muscle imbalance correction, water running, overdistance training, back-to-back Olys, maintenance plans and speed and common age-grouper mistakes.