General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Indoor Training Recommendations Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-11-10 11:13 AM

New user

Subject: Indoor Training Recommendations
Hi Everyone,

My wife and I are expecting our first baby in early January and are very excited. I'm trying to figure out how to maintain some training while providing the support and parenting that I want to commit to. I have been counseled by friends and have read on this forum and others, that it would be a wise idea to think about having an at-home indoor training option - at least for cycling and running. I've also decided not to aim for anything longer than an Olympic during 2015 (about to sign up for an Olympic Tri in May in addition to a 10 mile run in late March). I have been pretty consistent with training until recently and have done up to HIM distance (though that one was October 2013). My questions are:

1 - I have an old cycle trainer (travel trac) that has worked fine but not been my best friend. I'm thinking of replacing it and getting one that can work well with Trainer Road or other virtual training options. Any suggestions? I would like to keep this investment to under $500 if possible...
2 - My wife and I have discussed getting a treadmill that we can both use (she's not much of a cyclist) and I've been researching these a bit also. I'm wondering if there are virtual training options for treadmills in the same way as cycle trainers. I have read a bit about iFit but it looks somewhat limited compared to Trainer Road. I realize that quality treadmills cost at least $1,000 and potentially higher, so we'd like to keep this purchase to under $2,000.

We are in Virginia, so while cycling and running outside are possible almost all year, I'm guessing that efficiency and ease of fitting in workouts is going to be key, hence the push for indoor equipment. Obviously, I'll have to hit the pool at the gym since we don't have space .

Any suggestions or other people's experiences with this sort of thing would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-- Matt

2014-11-11 11:47 PM
in reply to: mfoster73

User image

Subject: RE: Indoor Training Recommendations
1) Kurt Kinetic Road machine. I did a lot of research about trainers before deciding on this one, and was able to get a used one for $200 (new is about $350). You won't be sorry.

2) There are lots of good treadmills out there and you should do well in the $1500 range. You don't really need something like Trainer Road because the treadmill already does a very good job simulating road running. It depends on the treadmill somewhat, but pacing is pretty similar to outside-- most people find it a bit easier than outdoors-- I would say its is usually comparable to a perfectly flat outdoor surface, but you can always vary the incline. You can design interval workouts, tempo workouts, progression runs, hill workouts, etc. I know lots of runners who train primarily on the treadmill at certain times of the year or in their life, and do well with running outdoors in marathons and other races-- they don't use any type of virtual training program other than sometimes the programs that come with their treadmill. True and Pacemaster are two of many good brands.

Congrats on the expanding family.
2014-11-13 5:55 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
There's two that stand above all else, Kurt Kinetic Roadmachine and CycleOps Fluid2. Build quality, customer service, function, etc. Not the least expensive, but they last a very long time (could very well be the last trainer you ever buy…).

One major step above that is a CompuTrainer, but that's significantly more money and since you have the ability to ride outdoors most of the year, I would say to get an excellent fluid trainer (the above) instead.

Also, you want to invest in a trainer tire, not only do they last much long (as in for many, many years… which also means you're not destroying your road tire…), but they also grip the roller much better so very little slip and quieter.
2014-11-13 8:04 AM

New user

Thanks Jennifer and audiojan for your suggestions - very helpful. I'm leaning toward a Kinetic trainer, but has anyone ever tried the Kinetic Rock And Roll? Apparently they have a 2.0 version out now. It's expensive but wondering if it could be worth it. Thanks

Matt
2014-11-14 10:12 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
I havent tried the rock and roll but to me it looks like a gimick. I am very happy with my Cyclops Fluid trainer and it is quite. I also have a cheapie treadmill that my parents had sitting in their basement. While I am sure that the higher end treadmills are worth it to some, a less expensive, seldom used one can usually be picked up very inexpensively on craigslist.

Edited by DaveL 2014-11-14 10:13 AM
2014-11-15 3:16 PM

User image

Originally posted by mfoster73

Thanks Jennifer and audiojan for your suggestions - very helpful. I'm leaning toward a Kinetic trainer, but has anyone ever tried the Kinetic Rock And Roll? Apparently they have a 2.0 version out now. It's expensive but wondering if it could be worth it. Thanks

Matt

I'm certainly not the expert on trainers or cycling, but I don't see how this one is really worth the extra $$. 95% of the training value you get from the trainer will be the from the effort you put into the workouts. I know people who train for IM on fairly cheap mag trainers in the winter and still do well-- the fluid trainers are a step above mag trainers (and are quieter).

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Indoor Training Recommendations Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Training Video for Indoor Trainer

Started by hakmed
Views: 643 Posts: 4

2009-11-02 2:07 PM ollie3856

Looking for recommendations on an Indoor Trainer

Started by swiss tri
Views: 643 Posts: 5

2007-09-11 5:54 PM Karl Hungus

Stationary exercise bike for indoor training?

Started by David_60126
Views: 622 Posts: 3

2007-07-07 7:42 AM DerekL

Recommendations for Strength Training DVD?

Started by KrisMarie
Views: 591 Posts: 3

2007-01-07 7:23 PM newadventures

Indoor Trainer recommendations?

Started by nikki
Views: 1108 Posts: 15

2006-09-09 8:44 PM Whitenose
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 19, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
Don't power through your off season! Rest and take it easy. Our doctors tell you why rest is important, how long to rest, and what training and exercises you should be doing.

date : January 25, 2012
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
This article will discuss the differences between TrainerRoad and PowerTap's power numbers and how to best use each of them.
date : April 22, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
Find out which sports nutrition practices effectively enhance performance. What and when you eat powerfully impacts how well you can perform.

date : January 20, 2009
author : jasongootman
In this second part, we discuss indoor, outdoor and ramp functional threshold tests to determine your power training zones. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.
date : December 28, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 1
Tired of your bike trainer already? Here are two indoor bike trainer workouts that you can use to keep things interesting while keeping your cycling fitness up.

date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.
date : April 2, 2006
author : TriDoc5280
comments : 2
This article will cover the basics on the nutritional needs of athletes and will include some standard recommendations from neutral bodies.

date : September 1, 2004
author : TriSports.com
As the Holiday season approaches and temperatures steadily drop, triathletes become faced with a difficult decision, to ride or not to ride.