General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Indoor racing when pregnant? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-11-10 11:30 AM

New user

Ottawa, Ontario
Subject: Indoor racing when pregnant?
The following refers to bikes only but feel free to kick in any advice!
Have any of the women members done any indoor trainer racing (ie - computrainer or tacx) during their pregnancy?
Have any of the women members trained/exercised in their zone 3 or 4 HR or Wattage during pregnancy?
Just want to get a handle on the reality of my next 7 months!
Thanks,
Em

2014-11-10 12:34 PM
in reply to: embot

Scottsdale, AZ
Subject: RE: Indoor racing when pregnant?
I took 3 spin classes a week while pregnant with my first kid - my HR did venture up into the higher zones occasionally (only had HR to measure).
Took a spin class the day I had this kid - guess he was sick of it and ready to come out :-). Felt a bit 'off' that day, but overall always felt better when I was able to train.

With my second, I had more issues, so had to be a little more careful, and was teaching spin at the time. Still let my HR do what it needed to do and went by how I felt. Funny thing was that I was so sick the first 5 months but the only time I wasn't nauseous was when I was training.

I cleared all this with my dr. He said that since I was already in good shape when I got pregnant, that my body was used to the intensity and just go by how I felt. Don't push it too much and take it easy when I needed to.

Big thing is to not try anything new once you get pregnant. So if you aren't used to intensity, don't go adding it now. The exercise limits/recommendations for pregnant women IMO are way too conservative, but I believe they are targeted to the average female (non athlete) that doesn't train or works out only occasionally. If you are an athlete, your body is used to the load. Always good to use RPE as a guide but if you feel good, and if your DR says it's ok, AND you don't have any issues with your pregnancy, then I think you should be fine. Plus staying in shape during your pregnancy makes it easier to return back once you have the kid (although now you have much less time :-)). It definitely helped me with both kids!

Congrats and good luck!
2014-11-10 2:17 PM
in reply to: embot

User image

Veteran
Great White North
2014-11-10 7:21 PM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Talk with your OB/GYN. The ACOG (American College of Obstetricans and Gynecologists) has specific guidelines for exercise during pregnancy.  They are very conservative.  James Clapp MD who I think is out of Case Western in Cleveland (At least he used to be at Case) has done the bulk of the work looking at exercise in pregnancy.  We probably don't have all the answers.  They recommend not letting your core temp get too high (I have forgotten the exact #) in the first trimester to avoid neural tube defects.  There have been anecdotal cases of elite marathoners running thru their pregnancies with no ill effects.  Most of the evidence supports that exercise in pregnancy is good for both mother and baby.  Why do I know this? I wrote an article on the musculoskeletal changes of pregnancy a LONG time ago for a  medical journal and because the edition had nothing on exercise in pregnancy I included information on that.  NONE of it is MY research, most of it is James Clapp.  Talk to your OB, do some research.  For women having normal healthy uncomplicated pregnancies exercise is safe and to be encouraged. 

2015-10-28 12:05 AM
in reply to: Socks

Originally posted by Socks

Talk with your OB/GYN. The ACOG (American College of Obstetricans and Gynecologists) has specific guidelines for exercise during pregnancy. They are very conservative. James Clapp MD who I think is out of Case Western in Cleveland (At least he used to be at Case) has done the bulk of the work looking at exercise in pregnancy. We probably don't have all the answers. They recommend not letting your core temp get too high (I have forgotten the exact #) in the first trimester to avoid neural tube defects. There have been anecdotal cases of elite marathoners running thru their pregnancies with no ill effects. Most of the evidence supports that exercise in pregnancy is good for both mother and baby. Why do I know this? I wrote an article on the musculo skeletal changes of pregnancy a LONG time ago for a medical journal and because the edition had nothing on exercise in pregnancy I included information on that. NONE of it is MY research, most of it is James Clapp. Talk to your OB, do some research. For women having normal healthy uncomplicated pregnancies exercise is safe and to be encouraged.

That's really a great. I think such organisation should always be formed for guiding the women's during their pregnancy, this not only helps in maintaining their health during their pregnancy journey also helps to be fit and fine. I think during menstruation too certain exercise routines should be conducted, which will also help the women to participate in the racing freely.

http://www.cupissima.com
2015-10-28 10:18 AM
in reply to: venessamanter

User image

Good recommendations above.

Beyond the medical stuff-- here's my personal experience.

I'm not sure if you are pregnant yet-- I was VERY tired and not enough energy for any quality workouts in my first trimester. It was enough to just keep moving at all. I felt a lot better in the second trimester and could do things almost normally, but I never biked outside. By the third trimester my weight distribution was too awkward to run comfortably, so I stuck to a stationary gym bike for moderate workouts. At the time I didn't have a bike trainer, but I probably could have set it up to be comfortable to work out at home.

2015-10-28 10:37 AM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Pro

I watched my wife ride a stationary bike or walk on a treadmill every single day of her pregnancies......even with full term twins.  She already had a regular program and was very fit when she got pregnant, so she just adapted her program a bit and contiued right through.  She gave birth to our twins on the same day she walked 4 miles on a treadmill.  The biggest benefit that I saw was that she was back to "fighting weight" within weeks of giving birth.

Anecdotally, she  gave birth to some REALLY healthy kids as well.  I have no idea if her excersizing had any effect on their good health....but I know that from the time their hearts got formed they were gtetting a workout for more than an hour a day.......whether they liked it or not.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Indoor racing when pregnant? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Pregnant runners/ formerly pregnant runners

Started by trishie
Views: 883 Posts: 4

2014-03-31 8:36 AM trishie

racing while pregnant?

Started by dizzyone
Views: 970 Posts: 7

2008-02-26 9:08 PM auto208562

Indoor Swim Race Strategy

Started by crouse
Views: 867 Posts: 11

2006-04-13 1:13 PM blackbettybambalam

Indoor race swim..wetsuit or no wetsuit

Started by Buzzyman
Views: 1345 Posts: 4

2005-05-02 6:14 PM JGFTri

"mock" indoor triathlon before race

Started by Freeswimmingfish
Views: 691 Posts: 5

2004-09-16 4:13 PM autumn
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 25, 2012
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
This article will discuss the differences between TrainerRoad and PowerTap's power numbers and how to best use each of them.

date : November 5, 2010
author : FitWerx
Do you struggle to hold your power output indoors versus outdoors? The keys to this problem are due to lack of cooling and the flywheel effect.
date : January 20, 2009
author : jasongootman
In this second part, we discuss indoor, outdoor and ramp functional threshold tests to determine your power training zones. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.

date : January 20, 2009
author : AMSSM
Information for training as a pregnant triathlete including physiological changes, nutritional and environmental concerns plus certain risks to avoid.
date : December 28, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 1
Tired of your bike trainer already? Here are two indoor bike trainer workouts that you can use to keep things interesting while keeping your cycling fitness up.

date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.
date : January 29, 2006
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
My doctor says 140bpm HR is my max, but that feels like a walk in the park... I don't know what to do, how to train, and my motivation is waning. Any suggestions?

date : September 1, 2004
author : TriSports.com
As the Holiday season approaches and temperatures steadily drop, triathletes become faced with a difficult decision, to ride or not to ride.