General Discussion Triathlon Talk » St Anthony's Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-11-10 8:15 PM

Subject: St Anthony's Triathlon
So this seems to be a huge triathlon and seems to be very popular. I'm new to triathlons this year and am planning on doing this event next year. What makes this event so popular? It attracts some pros and just has a huge field.

2014-11-11 5:11 PM
in reply to: TriTampa2

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: St Anthony's Triathlon

Originally posted by TriTampa2 So this seems to be a huge triathlon and seems to be very popular. I'm new to triathlons this year and am planning on doing this event next year. What makes this event so popular? It attracts some pros and just has a huge field.

Its a wonderfully done race.  It is considered the season opener and attracts a world class field of pros.  Its been around a long time.  its an Ironman feel at an Oly distance race.  One of my favorites. 

2014-11-13 12:38 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Originally posted by TriTampa2

What makes this event so popular?

The overall atmosphere surrounding the event is great. Some of the specifics from my experiences:

The lady at check-in that threatened to kill the volunteer if he read her weight out loud. They actually make you step on a scale if you race Athena or Clydesdale.

A real race expo. I learned so much from spending time with vendors and other triathletes, if you're new, this is invaluable.

Saturday bike check-in. This qualifies as "big time" in my book.

Now that the swim course has been changed, knowing that you should be able to get the swim in. There were a few years where this race was a duathlon.

Getting passed by pros in T1 as they are leaving T2. Those guys, and gals, are FAST!!!

Bottle exchange on the bike course. Is it really needed? Probably not, but it was nice to practice that aspect of a race before my first HIM.

Sprinklers, hoses, beads, beer, margaritas, the theme to Rocky, and great local support along the run course.

A real finish chute with banners, and bleachers, and an announcer calling out your name. Another "big time" check for me.

Meeting the same nurse in the medical tent in back to back years and having her remember you. Ok, not really a good thing, but the medical support is great, considering the race is named after a local hospital.

Edited by cwpeters 2014-11-13 12:39 PM
2014-11-15 9:09 AM
in reply to: cwpeters

Originally posted by cwpeters

Originally posted by TriTampa2

What makes this event so popular?

The overall atmosphere surrounding the event is great. Some of the specifics from my experiences:

The lady at check-in that threatened to kill the volunteer if he read her weight out loud. They actually make you step on a scale if you race Athena or Clydesdale.

A real race expo. I learned so much from spending time with vendors and other triathletes, if you're new, this is invaluable.

Saturday bike check-in. This qualifies as "big time" in my book.

Now that the swim course has been changed, knowing that you should be able to get the swim in. There were a few years where this race was a duathlon.

Getting passed by pros in T1 as they are leaving T2. Those guys, and gals, are FAST!!!

Bottle exchange on the bike course. Is it really needed? Probably not, but it was nice to practice that aspect of a race before my first HIM.

Sprinklers, hoses, beads, beer, margaritas, the theme to Rocky, and great local support along the run course.

A real finish chute with banners, and bleachers, and an announcer calling out your name. Another "big time" check for me.

Meeting the same nurse in the medical tent in back to back years and having her remember you. Ok, not really a good thing, but the medical support is great, considering the race is named after a local hospital.

You should work sales for this event You sold me. I have never done this event, but put Dec 1st in my reminders to sign up for sure.

Thanks for the info.

Just hoping power couple Tim O'Donnell and Miranda Carfrae will do this again. Would love to be lucky enough to get passed by them in transition.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » St Anthony's Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

St. Anthony's Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by boxer
Views: 27530 Posts: 219

2011-05-07 3:12 PM TrkHilo2k

St. Anthony's Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7

Started by [email protected]
Views: 20848 Posts: 166

2010-10-06 3:07 PM TrkHilo2k

St. Anthony's Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10

Started by triorbonk
Views: 23524 Posts: 244

2009-04-28 1:57 PM debs

St. Anthony's Triathlon Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by KathyG
Views: 13238 Posts: 223

2007-04-29 3:22 AM mmakbenton

St. Anthony's Triathlon Triathlon (Olympic) Pages: 1 2 3

Started by Ron
Views: 8918 Posts: 54

2006-12-01 9:52 PM snikpos
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 9, 2010
author : garyhallsr
comments : 2
Doug was one of the few swimming coaches who really appreciated how important swimming technique is and would spend as much or more time with his athletes making sure they got it right.

date : January 15, 2008
author : MLT1
comments : 4
The triathletes really inspired me. I watched them in awe as childlike thoughts went through my head like, "I want to do that!" But then reality set in. “Who are you kidding?
date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
I’ve signed up to do the St. Anthony’s Olympic Triathlon in April. I will be 49 in May and need some advice on a good training program to fit into my full time work schedule.