General Discussion Triathlon Talk » case for smartphone Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-11-11 11:05 PM

User image

Subject: case for smartphone
Hello,

Currently, I have been using a pouch to carry my phone on my bike. I use my phone for emergency call and log my activity. My phone dimension is
6.32" x 3.21" x 0.33". What do you recommend? The pouch is ok but it's annoying for accessibility and it keeps hitting my bike.

Also I need a case for this phone when I do my run ( I don't listen to music except when running tracks ). Currently, I just carry it my hand. My training outfit doesn't have pockets.

Thanks

2014-11-11 11:22 PM
in reply to: Phebes

User image

Subject: RE: case for smartphone
I use this: http://flipbelt.com/

but that's a huge phone-- not sure if would work. Can you get framebag for your bike? What kind of "pouch" are you talking about?

I have an iPhone 4s, and I don't want a larger phone for this reason.
2014-11-11 11:42 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Originally posted by jennifer_runs

I use this: http://flipbelt.com/

but that's a huge phone-- not sure if would work. Can you get framebag for your bike? What kind of "pouch" are you talking about?

I have an iPhone 4s, and I don't want a larger phone for this reason.

I have BLU 5.5. This is my phone and pouch. I hang this pouch to a water bottle holder. I usually don't answer my phone when it rings or text message. Occasionally, I'll respond if I'm expecting an important call . (Of course, I stop when I take the call

(100_5455.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
100_5455.JPG (2756KB - 5 downloads)
2014-11-11 11:52 PM

User image

I can see how that bag would flop around a lot.

I have one of these that I use for rides:

http://www.mec.ca/product/5026-248/mec-bicycle-frame-bag/?q=bike%2B...
2014-11-12 8:47 AM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

Couldn't you just put the phone in a ziplock bag and put it in a jersey pocket when riding as opposed to that bag that would get in the way a lot?  not sure what options you have been looking at for running but it might be pretty close to the same cost as getting an ipod shuffle and using that for music when you run instead of dragging along a phone. the flipbelt that was linked looks like a good choice too though, i almost bought one of those a while back and can see how they would be useful. 

2014-11-12 9:02 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

I am considering one of these for the iPhone 6 Plus:  http://www.spibelt.com/products/spibelt/large-pocket-spibelt

2014-11-12 10:15 AM
in reply to: 0

The more shockproof you want it, the bigger it gets. I used Otterbox, very solid protection but it also doubles the thickness of the phone. So I stopped using it. without a case, the phone easily fits any pocket...

Now I use the case only for rock climbing and leave it without protection for anything else.

Worst case, maybe you can use those bands people put around their arms to hold the phone for running... (I have no clue how to call it).

The ziplock is a great idea. you don`t even have to get it out of the bag to use it. It picks your finger just fine through the plastic which is what a lot of people do when kayaking, mountain biking and such.

For your reference, otterbox: http://www.otterbox.com/apple-iphone-6-cases/apple-iphone-6-cases,d...
The galaxy one gives you a better appreciation of the level of protection it brings: http://www.otterbox.com/samsung-galaxy-s5-cases/samsung-galaxy-s5-c... The bottom layer is the clip, the next three are the case.

Edited by Antoine tri 2014-11-12 10:18 AM
2014-11-12 10:24 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

I recently searched for a better way to carry the phone as well. I ended up with a Topeak mount for the bike and settled on an "Armpocket" armband for the run. 

I used the bike mount with my iPhone 4s and it worked well. I was experimenting with using the phone as my cycle computer, but it really didn't work out very well. Using the GPS killed my battery and that was with the screen off, I decided it would be a bad deal to be out in the middle of nowhere with a dead phone so I quit using the phone and bought a Suunto Ambit2 instead. Now that I have the iPhone 6 I am back to a ziploc bag and jersey pocket.

I like this particular armband because you don't have to take the phone out of your normal case in order to use it, it is big enough to get the phone in with a case on it. 

I see you are using a case that also holds cards and has the flip face, that would work in this armband but you wouldn't be able to see the screen or change your tunes. I would recommend this case.

I use it with my iPhone 6 and it works great. I am able to get my DL, debit and credit card in it which is all I need for most occasions. And I still have full access to the screen at any time without having the flap in the way.

Good luck, there are tons of options out there, but anything is better than the bag you are using now!

Edited by Aarondb4 2014-11-12 10:25 AM
2014-11-13 12:25 PM

User image

Thank you all for all your suggestions.

For running, I'll think about the belt or the arm type. I heard a lot about the otterbox. My phone has a flip case because I can store cards, notes, etc. But I also have a 2 yr replaceable warranty on my phone and I have a very old phone that I can use ( using GSM sim) in the event my phone is being replaced

For the bike ride,I think I will use the frame bag during rainy season and Topeak when I'm expecting an important phone call ( I like where you can see right away who's calling, just need to remember to stop first )

2014-11-13 2:29 PM

User image

I found the SPI Belt works great. I put my phone in a ziplock plastic bag then toss it into the spi belt. don't have easy access to the phone, but I just use it for music when running so just need to start the music before putting it in the case. When biking it just goes into the belt so I have it.

It fits my one plus one.. so it should fit everything (iPhone 6+) but the latest Nexus 6 (stupid large phablet)
2014-11-14 10:56 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Originally posted by Phebes Thank you all for all your suggestions. For running, I'll think about the belt or the arm type. I heard a lot about the otterbox. My phone has a flip case because I can store cards, notes, etc. But I also have a 2 yr replaceable warranty on my phone and I have a very old phone that I can use ( using GSM sim) in the event my phone is being replaced For the bike ride,I think I will use the frame bag during rainy season and Topeak when I'm expecting an important phone call ( I like where you can see right away who's calling, just need to remember to stop first )

Topeak has you covered for rain as well. Waterproof bag that uses the same mount and still allows access to the screen.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » case for smartphone Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

durable smartphone

Started by fnkyhd
Views: 1546 Posts: 21

2014-03-05 4:27 PM fnkyhd

IM registration using a smartphone???

Started by FELTGood
Views: 775 Posts: 8

2012-07-23 5:33 AM matcrawf

GPS Accuracy - Garmin vs Smartphone...

Started by jsnowash
Views: 5390 Posts: 23

2011-08-04 11:37 AM kevkelsar

Bike case vs shipping through bike shop

Started by eddie04
Views: 981 Posts: 8

2005-04-29 2:20 PM devo27

Travelling with bike...Case or cardboard box?

Started by lifeisgood
Views: 932 Posts: 5

2005-03-03 9:59 PM sjhamblin
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 6, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
We review both the Sci'Con Atlas and the Aerotech Evolution bike cases for traveling with your bike.

date : August 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Are you traveling to a race and need to ship your bike? This video will demonstrate how to disassemble your bike to be able to pack it properly in a bike case for shipping.