General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for the BEST CUSHIONED running shoe Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-11-11 11:14 PM

Subject: Looking for the BEST CUSHIONED running shoe
Fell in love with my ASICS Gel Nimbus 13 running shoes, and after several years, I know that I have to part ways with them; they are falling apart. Still the cushioning remains awesome. But I need a new shoe and the Nimbus 13 is long off the market (and I can't find it anywhere online at classic stores, etc).

Can anyone throw out in this thread some REAL CUSHIONED shoes that they presently using and are happy with? I'm 5 ft 9 and 160bs, medium build, but I will be 55 in less than two weeks, and I can't take pavement pounding anymore, and some of the advertised "cushioned" shoes don't hold up as advertised. If anyone knows what current shoes are the "real deal", please let me know. Thanks!

2014-11-12 6:44 PM
in reply to: scholar

Subject: RE: Looking for the BEST CUSHIONED running shoe
What about the Hoka One One sneakers? I have a few and love them.
2014-11-13 12:15 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

You and are about the same weight, height, and age.  Also the pounding over the years has taken a toll on my lower back so while I have always preferred a softer cushioned shoe I'm at a point where it is critical to minimize impact.  The problem I have found was that the shoes I felt were the softest were more neutral than is best for me.  I need a little stability in a shoe to keep my knees from starting to ache.  I have a number of shoes that I rotate with on a daily basis to try and keep things in balance.

I really liked the Mizuno Wave Precision but they phased that out and replaced it with the Sayonara which has a little more stability but nowhere near the cushioning.  I had been curious about the Hoka's but they seemed to bulky for me.  But at an ultra I did this summer so many people were wearing them and raving about them, especially the new lightweight (7+ ounces) Clifton's.  They have a much smaller footprint than the other bulkier versions so I thought I'd give them a try.  After about a week, I'm pretty impressed.  Some of the other shoes I've worn have nearly as soft heel cushioning but the softness of these shoes is very noticeable across the entire foot.  Mid- and fore- foot cushioning is way beyond anything I've experienced.  It all adds up to something very much worth trying out if you are looking for a cushioned shoe.

Lastly, while running on flat pavement certainly more cushioned overall, but running downhill on pavement is amazing.  I could not believe the decrease in impact while running downhill.  I'm still rotating some light stability shoes in to be cautious with my knees but these could be my new workhorse.

Edited by popsracer 2014-11-13 12:16 AM
2014-11-14 5:19 AM

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia

What about the Nimbus 14? or 15? Or whatever number is out now. I'm a Nimbus guy. Have never noticed much of a difference in the numbers.

2014-11-14 11:40 PM
in reply to: popsracer

Thanks Everyone for your replies...managed to dig up one last pair of 13s on line, paid too much for them, but hopefully they are as good as the last pair. But I am going to start looking into the Hokas, they sound promising. Appreciate everyone's input. I value your opinions, and my back/knees/hips appreciate your thoughts as well!
2014-11-15 6:24 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Not sure if they would work for you as they are a bit of a different feel, but I LOVE the Saucony Grid Tornado. They don't have a super-cushy feel to them like Hokas, so perhaps not suited for very heavy runners, but they are not at all minimalist either, more of a pleasant, slightly flexible "bounce". They are easily the most comfortable shoe I've ever run in, and unlike all other shoes I've tried, the cushioning doesn't seem to noticeably decrease over time at all. I run quite a bit of mileage and it is almost all on pavement, but they hold up really well. My older pair is almost two years old and very well-loved in some pretty tough conditions, but I can still run comfortably in them and they feel like new. Their only shortcoming is that they become quite heavy and mushy when wet--it's an issue here on longer runs due to the extreme heat/humidity I train in, or maybe for people who run in the rain a lot. Otherwise a very dependable, durable, affordable no-frills shoe ($50-60 range at Big 5.). Don't know if they're still in production as the stores in Asia rarely sell Saucony and when they do it is only the higher-end shoes. If they discontinue I will cry!

2014-12-01 10:21 PM

A late reply, but check out ASICS Kayano. I've moved on to a much lighter shoe now, but that's what I started with when I was 125kgs and they served me extremely well.
2014-12-17 8:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shawboro, NC
Also late to the party here, but I, too, am a Nimbus runner. I jumped on the bus with the Nimbus 14, and have gone through 2 pairs. Thanks to my 230 pound, 6' tall frame, I certainly don't get much more than 400 miles of comfortable use out of them. You can still find a Nimbus 14 or two on Amazon, but it's disappearing quickly. Still, every review I read about the 14 leads me believe that the difference between it and the 13 is purely cosmetic.

The 15 added the tiniest bit more cushioning and also some cosmetic changes.

The current Nimbus model is the 16, which is supposedly a tad bit more rigid than the 15, but has the same cushioning. Again, cosmetic changes also happened.

I'm also in the market for new shoes, and the Hoka One One Conquests and Cliftons seem to be right up my alley.
2014-12-26 8:06 PM
in reply to: #5066959

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, Nebraska
I struggled with shoes for a long time. Sometimes they would seem amazing, and I would still end up with running pain issues after adding time/distance. I'll skip to my point, and spare you the details.

ALTRA shoes are great.
www.altrarunning.com

The thing I figured out was the toe box on all big name shoes is way too narrow. Your toes should have room!

I just got two pairs of their Oplymus shoes for Christmas. They are super cusions. Maybe too much...but we'll see.

I'm also not "a runner". Even at peak training, and on a strict diet, I couldn't break 200lbs...a few years back I'm currently 6' and 245lbs.

2015-01-01 7:08 AM
in reply to: fifthcircle

User image

Master
Salisbury, North Carolina
I've been with the Gel Cumulus for several years.... it's actually below the Nimbus but I tried the Nimbus twice and it didn't work for reasons I still can't understand. Love the Cumulus.... I'm 5'8" and 192 at present .. ouch.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for the BEST CUSHIONED running shoe Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

What running shoe should I look for?

Started by urnalmp
Views: 1392 Posts: 8

2010-10-24 6:25 PM dandr614

running shoes - less cushioning?

Started by feh
Views: 2168 Posts: 21

2010-03-03 1:28 PM FurnaceM3

Good shoes for running sockless

Started by ksb
Views: 894 Posts: 7

2007-07-30 4:02 PM getsome

Pearl Izumi running shoes, good or bad idea?

Started by the_patagonian
Views: 1157 Posts: 7

2006-11-28 12:19 PM speedball

Running shoes--good brands? Pages: 1 2

Started by sharonnagy5
Views: 3437 Posts: 46

2005-04-08 8:37 AM sharonnagy5
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 2, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
A comprehensive look at a controversial trend-- for triathletes like you

date : February 28, 2012
author : greggseltzer
comments : 6
Why barefoot running is not suited for the average runner.
date : July 30, 2006
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I started riding this spring with the Carnac shoes on Look pedals (with plenty of float). About five minutes into a ride I get sharp pain on the outer edge of my feet, just behind the pedal.

date : September 2, 2004
author : chrisandniki
comments : 0
To avoid a myriad of injuries (joint pain to your knees, ankles, hips, shin splints, foot pain, bruises), it’s invaluable to find the right running shoes.