General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Thinking about renting a tri bike for my first Ironman Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-11-12 9:12 AM

Subject: Thinking about renting a tri bike for my first Ironman
So, I just signed up for Ironman Florida 2015. I have done multiple sprints, and olympic distances, but this will be my first full Ironman. I am currently riding a slightly modified Cannondale CAAD 9, with tri bars, which I have had for a few years. With a new baby, our budget would be strained for me to purchase a tri bike, so I wanted to look at other possible options.

The first option that I have considered is renting a tri bike. The cost isn't high, but my concern is that all of my training will be spent on my road bike. Will my legs be able to adjust to the new position on the tri bike?

My other option is to just rent some wheels and possibly buy an aero helmet to get the most aero position for my road bike that I am currently using. Will this really make a difference?

The last potential option, of course, would be to go out and purchase a tri bike. I wouldn't say it is completely out the question, especially since I have a whole year to make a decision, but I would definitely love some thoughts on any other options.

2014-11-12 9:17 AM
in reply to: IronNewbie

User image

over a barrier
Subject: RE: Thinking about renting a tri bike for my first Ironman
I would not rent a bike for a race where I'm going to be in the saddle for 5.0 -6.5 hrs with little to no training on it. Assuming you pay for a fit on it, I would stil be more worried about shoulder/back fatigue than my legs.

Another option, is look for a used Tri-frame and swap your group set over to the new frame. Add a different cockpit and be have a full season on the bike.
2014-11-12 9:25 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
ride the CAAD
2014-11-12 9:26 AM
in reply to: running2far

User image

Elite
Ontario

I would also avoid renting a bike.  The idea of renting wheels + helmet will certainly add some additional speed on the day.  I know Florida was cold this year but if it were hot some people would prefer a non aero helmet so you have the additional cooling benefit. 

If you go with the above suggestion of a used frame and switching your gruppo keep in mind the cost of aero shifters, brakes, bars etc (assumign you don't keep the road bars).  And ultimately, ask yourself if the additional 10-20min of riding is worth the cost for your first IM - this assumes you're already in a reasonble setup on your current aero extensions.

2014-11-12 9:26 AM

User image

If you haven't spent dozens to hundred(s) of hours on a tri bike, don't use one for a long distance tri. Legs, hell, your back will cuss you for changing position on it for a 6 hour ride all at once. Ride what you got.

The helmet will actually make a difference in time and will go with you to the new tri bike if you buy one. The wheelset might give you a couple minutes.

2014-11-12 9:27 AM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

Originally posted by Leegoocrap ride the CAAD

X2

2014-11-12 9:32 AM
in reply to: running2far

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Originally posted by running2far I would not rent a bike for a race where I'm going to be in the saddle for 5.0 -6.5 hrs with little to no training on it. Assuming you pay for a fit on it, I would stil be more worried about shoulder/back fatigue than my legs. Another option, is look for a used Tri-frame and swap your group set over to the new frame. Add a different cockpit and be have a full season on the bike.

I agree, subtle changes in riding position will affect your neck, shoulders, and butt far more than your legs.  You'lll also have to deal with the unfamiliarity of how the rented bike corners or behaves in wind (which is also true if you rent aero wheels).  

2014-11-12 9:41 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Renting a bike that will put you in a different position for the IM would be a bad idea (your legs are the least of your issues--think back/neck).  If the tri bike didn't put you in a different position, it wouldn't offer much benefit.  So ride the bike you bring--be it your roadie or a new tri bike.

Aero helmet & wheels will make you a little faster on race day.  How much depends on a variety of factors.  And then there is how much you care about being a few minutes faster on the bike.  Maybe you 'care' enough to spend $100 on a helmet but not enough to rent or buy wheels.  Maybe you care about saving every second you can and, so, are willing to do both.  There's no 'right' answer.  If budget is a real constraint, I would say stick with your current bike and do what you can to get as comfortably aero as possible on it position-wise.  Then consider buying an aero helmet along with some good tires and latex tubes--relatively low cost ways to 'buy' speed with items you will already need.  Maybe go so far as trying to find a decent used aero front wheel and get a cover for your rear wheel, but very optional and only if in your budget.

Good luck & welcome to BT!

2014-11-12 10:15 AM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Originally posted by JohnnyKay

Renting a bike that will put you in a different position for the IM would be a bad idea (your legs are the least of your issues--think back/neck).  If the tri bike didn't put you in a different position, it wouldn't offer much benefit.  So ride the bike you bring--be it your roadie or a new tri bike.

Aero helmet & wheels will make you a little faster on race day.  How much depends on a variety of factors.  And then there is how much you care about being a few minutes faster on the bike.  Maybe you 'care' enough to spend $100 on a helmet but not enough to rent or buy wheels.  Maybe you care about saving every second you can and, so, are willing to do both.  There's no 'right' answer.  If budget is a real constraint, I would say stick with your current bike and do what you can to get as comfortably aero as possible on it position-wise.  Then consider buying an aero helmet along with some good tires and latex tubes--relatively low cost ways to 'buy' speed with items you will already need.  Maybe go so far as trying to find a decent used aero front wheel and get a cover for your rear wheel, but very optional and only if in your budget.

Good luck & welcome to BT!

Agree with the other posters. Renting a TT bike really only makes sense when you already ride a TT bike and can't or don't want to ship your bike. Renting the same bike or a similar bike works in that situation. You will likely be in serious pain if you try to go from your roadie to a TT bike for your IM. Ride your bike, enjoy the race and don't worry about the 5 minutes a TT bike would save you. Heck, just decide to pee on yourself instead of stopping and you will make up that time and more!

2014-11-12 10:30 AM

User image

I have a Cannondale 9 (I think 9 6 to be exact) with clip ons that I have been riding and racing for 5 years.  Love it, can ride it for hours on the extensions and it's super comfortable and fairly quick.  I have pretty much set it up myself so it may not be the most optimal set up but it's comfy.  Bought a NP2 this year, had a 3 hour fit session which had me feeling good when I left.  First ride and 30 mins in I couldn't stay on the extensions any more.  It took me about 2 months of riding the tt bike before I felt confident enough to race it.  At that point I still think I was faster on the cannondale.  Plus with the road bike I was so used to it I feel like I can do almost anything on it, especially while on the extensions - drink, turn, eat for examples.

Everyones a little diferent but as others have mentioned switching bikes at the last min without any time to get accustomed to it could be painful.

2014-11-12 10:57 AM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by JohnnyKay

^ This

There was a similar question posed a few months ago: http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=521990&posts=24#M5040143

My comment on that thread...

Riding 112 miles on a tri bike having never ridden a tri bike before is just ridiculous.  She's going to spend 6-7 hours in an aero position that she's never been in and then expects to run 26 miles afterward.  I'd be thoroughly impressed if she were to finish the bike let alone the race.  Her neck, shoulders and lower back will be on fire.

The flip side is that she will ride 90% of the ride up on the base bars which negates the entire reason for using a tri bike.  Better off just using a road bike in that case.

My advice... use your own bike or rent a ROAD bike.

The nothing new on race day is generally for minor things.  Using a new type of bike on race day takes "nothing new on race day" to a different level.

2014-11-13 4:09 PM

Great information. Thanks!

It seems like the right thing to do is use the CAAD 9 if I am unable to purchase a tri-bike well in advance of the race.

Thanks again for all of the advice!
2014-11-13 4:37 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Yeah, just to jump on the bandwagon here.

I realized on one of my IM's I didn't spend enough time training on my TT bike because I did a lot of group training rides.  I chose to do the IM on the road bike even though I had a perfectly good TT bike in the garage.  I back hurts while I type this just THINKING about 6 hours on a TT bike without having spent most my time on if for about 4-5 months before the race.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Thinking about renting a tri bike for my first Ironman Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Renting a Tri Bike for IMAZ... Need Input

Started by AthenaTri
Views: 2168 Posts: 24

2014-08-16 3:27 PM Joblin

Think of backing out of first Half Ironman Pages: 1 2

Started by MoniqueGriffith
Views: 3908 Posts: 38

2013-02-13 7:00 AM Gladiador

Visiting my sister in Colorado Springs, need to rent a tri bike

Started by saldana_joel
Views: 1440 Posts: 4

2008-07-22 12:23 PM saldana_joel

Wildman Tri Rent a bike? Orlando FL

Started by Butchcantswim
Views: 783 Posts: 2

2007-03-12 11:37 AM RBRMIKE

First Tri Sunday - need to rent a wetsuit....

Started by regaldozer
Views: 883 Posts: 3

2004-06-07 7:06 PM glf33
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 27, 2012
author : davey m
comments : 3
Deciding on an Ironman as my first venture into triathlon was greeted with incredulity and astonishment combined with a hint of, "well, you're full of yourself aren't you?" and, "a bit ambitious?"

date : April 12, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
How should I be shifting gears on the front chainring and the rear cogs to cope with hills?
date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?

date : August 7, 2009
author : Coach AJ
Looking to rent or try-before-you-buy race wheels for your next triathlon? Coach AJ checks out the service at RaceDay Wheels.
date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.

date : February 7, 2007
author : Angie M
comments : 4
In the past 18 months, I have delivered two babies, had meningitis, broken my pelvis, had two surgeries, worked full time, AND completed my first triathlon!
date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.

date : March 21, 2005
author : Ontherun
Until last year an Ironman was just a dream. Now it has become a goal. I needed to start, but where?