Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Snowshoeing. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2014-11-12 4:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
Subject: Snowshoeing.

As the snow has already started to fly (and accumulate).  I have thought about buying a pair of snowshoes this winter.  I have done it in the past and have always enjoyed it so I thought it could be a good investment for this winter.  Basically, I have no idea what I am doing.. Does anyone have any tips for a first time snowshoe buyer?  I'd probably just be doing day hikes - but I would like a pair I can grow into.  What kind of boots do you normally wear?  Just by looking I see some kits for reasonable prices - but those always have me worried - you get what you pay for.  Take this for example;

http://www.rei.com/product/876487/atlas-8-series-snowshoe-kit-mens#tab-description

I was thinking of a budget of around $300 (I'd like poles I'm super clumsy) It looks like this could be possible.

X

2014-11-12 4:40 PM
in reply to: Justin86

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Subject: RE: Snowshoeing.

I like snowshoeing. Take my advice with a grain of salt, I didn't research much. I just asked a friend who knew what he was doing, what I should buy. I have an older model of these ones I think. I do like the part that you flip up to walk on for steep terrain. I think it is worth it for that. My snowshoes are a bit longer and seem to kick up a bit more snow than most peoples, so I have to wear snowpants, so I don't get a cold wet butt. That might just be due to the type of snow we have here though.

I wear hiking boots with mine. I have snowboots too which would work, but my hiking boots are more comfortable to walk in. I have put botties over my hiking boots too, but I used old botties, because the snowshoes can tear them up if you get them stuck over the bottom of the snowshoe.

I have used running snowshoes before too which were fine, but really like running, so if I ever wanted to go snowshoe running again, I'd probably just rent some.

I guess it just depends on what type of terrain you will be covering most. 

2014-11-12 11:18 PM

Expert
The snow was so bad last year that I bought snow shoes just so I could get some exercise in. Loved it! Now I'm actually looking forward to the winter. I went to Sierra Trading Post and bought shoes, boots, and poles. The main factor is to get shoes that accommodate your weight, I was between sizes and went with the shoes for the lighter weight, ended up sinking more in the snow then I should have. No big deal, just made for a more rigorous workout. Started out with regular snow boots, but ended up with blisters, so I bought boots from Sierra meant for winter hiking and these were fantastic. Also get poles.
2014-11-13 9:29 AM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
I have owned a pair of Tubbs for several years and like them for the gentle terrain here in Minnesota. I can't remember the model, and they seem to change them out often anyway, so it might be a moot point. They do have a nice crampon-like cleat on the bottom for a good grip on ice. I usually wear my beefy hiking boots with them for easy walks, as they are my warmest and it can get darn cold here, as you know coming from WI. I have also used lighter boots and even my trail running shoes when not so cold or for hard efforts. I also looked at MSR brand and think they are the best for more mountaineering use, but maybe not as good in deep snow. You can buy an extra "tail" to attach to give more float. As has been mentioned, getting the correct size for your weight is the important. Make sure you include any pack weight you will normally be carrying when you size them.

Snowshoeing is another great way to embrace winter!
2014-11-13 9:41 AM
in reply to: ejshowers

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin

Thanks for the input guys!  Looks like I'm going to be making a trip down to REI in Madison, WI this weekend.  I defiantly want to look at them before I buy.  At least now I am not completely in the dark. 

The prices seem pretty reasonable to, which makes me happy.  I think I can get a decent pair + boots + poles for under $500.

2014-11-13 9:53 AM

User image

Regular
Grand Junction, Colorado
Slow down turbo!!! Because you stated that you really are unfamiliar w/snowshoeing DO NOT DROP $300.oo!!! Start very simple, go on Craigslist & purchase any pair under $75.oo. No need to run out & buy any poles just yet. For the most part, snowshoeing for many years, really only needed the poles when I was in Crested Butte or another time on the Grand Mesa when the snow was a weeeee bit more than hip deep.

Most of the "trails" are groomed, packed down by others, & are rather simple to navigate. I do wear my water proof hiking boots & my insulated Mountain Khakis pants. I would recommend spending your money on a proper jacket, gloves, boots, & socks. Thats just my 2 cents…..

Now if you wanna go ape Sh*t & spend $300.oo+ on all the gear, GR8!!! Do It & then come on over to the Grand Mesa & I will be more than happy to guide you along some amazingly exposed terrain. We can climb more than 1,000ft using them new poles of yours & then I will teach you how to ski back down in your new snowshoes. That is such a rush!!!! From Dec- March, I gather the same & sometimes different groups for a Full Moon Adventure which goes over very well!!!! Ah, snowshoeing, its about that time of year?!?!?!?!

Have a blast & find that cardiovascular system!!!

Cheers
The Padre

2014-11-13 10:28 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by Justin86

Thanks for the input guys!  Looks like I'm going to be making a trip down to REI in Madison, WI this weekend.  I defiantly want to look at them before I buy.  At least now I am not completely in the dark. 

The prices seem pretty reasonable to, which makes me happy.  I think I can get a decent pair + boots + poles for under $500.

Good timing with REI. They have a sale starting tomorrow and if you're a member, they have 20% off a single item sale too.
2014-11-13 11:27 AM

User image

You should have no problem getting set up well under your stated budget. Atlas, Tubbs, and Redfeather all are reputable options at the lower price levels. Anything from those 3 will probably be more than adequate for most people. If you plan on traversing more technical terrain with steep ascents/descents, then some of the more expensive snowshoes with features like heel lifts, added teeth, lighter materials might enter the conversation...but that's overkill for most...I've never missed that stuff here in Michigan & have been more than happy with my entry level Atlas shoes.

One differentiator that you will be able to notice is the binding system. When you are trying to take your snowshoes on or off while wearing gloves, single pull straps & ratchet type systems will be easier/more convenient to use than 2 or 3 individual straps with hook & loop type closures.

Shoes & poles will be a matter of preference. I wear my lightweight hiking shoes; and although I almost always bring my hiking poles with me, they usually never get used & spend the whole trip strapped to my backpack.

I'll also add to what Padre said about trails. I love my snowshoes for the off trail freedom they allow...it's fun to blaze your own path. However, snowshoes can be overkill if you are planning to stick to trails that see any use at all. I do much more winter hiking & running on trails (which get somewhat packed down unless I'm on them within hours of new snowfall), so my Kahtoola microspikes get much more use each winter than my snowshoes.
2014-11-13 12:52 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin

Originally posted by The Padre Slow down turbo!!! Because you stated that you really are unfamiliar w/snowshoeing DO NOT DROP $300.oo!!! Start very simple, go on Craigslist & purchase any pair under $75.oo. No need to run out & buy any poles just yet. For the most part, snowshoeing for many years, really only needed the poles when I was in Crested Butte or another time on the Grand Mesa when the snow was a weeeee bit more than hip deep. Most of the "trails" are groomed, packed down by others, & are rather simple to navigate. I do wear my water proof hiking boots & my insulated Mountain Khakis pants. I would recommend spending your money on a proper jacket, gloves, boots, & socks. Thats just my 2 cents….. Now if you wanna go ape Sh*t & spend $300.oo+ on all the gear, GR8!!! Do It & then come on over to the Grand Mesa & I will be more than happy to guide you along some amazingly exposed terrain. We can climb more than 1,000ft using them new poles of yours & then I will teach you how to ski back down in your new snowshoes. That is such a rush!!!! From Dec- March, I gather the same & sometimes different groups for a Full Moon Adventure which goes over very well!!!! Ah, snowshoeing, its about that time of year?!?!?!?! Have a blast & find that cardiovascular system!!! Cheers The Padre

Thanks for the advice there, I do appreciate it - and I would normally agree with you but I have the money to spend and I want to spend it on this.  I am getting a bonus from work next month and am spending $500 on something for myself, the rest is going into savings and paying off a credit card.  So its a bit of a splurge and a treat!

That sounds like fun though - maybe I'll just take you up on that!

Originally posted by mdg2003
Originally posted by Justin86

Good timing with REI. They have a sale starting tomorrow and if you're a member, they have 20% off a single item sale too.

Awesome - I am a member. 

X

Edited by Justin86 2014-11-13 12:53 PM
2014-11-13 3:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI
Since you live in Wis you have to go with Northern Lites, very nice shoes.
If you get up to Wausau they have them at Rib Mt Cycle.

2014-11-14 11:04 AM

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member

I love snowshoeing - nothing better than getting out there in the snow  and the quiet!

I'd agree that $500 is probably overkill for snowshoes, you can probably get everything you need for $300 and then buy yourself some decent clothes (which are important when you're working up a sweat in the snow). I live in Colorado, snowshoe quite a bit, and have used a pair of Redfeathers that I got for less than $100 for years - I've done multiple hut trips carrying a 30-40 lb pack for 6-8 miles in the backcountry, and they've served me well for that. A couple things that I think are important:

- Like others said, make sure you get the right pair for your weight, otherwise they won't float well enough

- You do want to make sure you have warm COMFORTABLE boots. This is where I 'd say spend your money. I've had a friend have a miserable time on a snowshoe trip because she was wearing cheap Cabela's boots that tore up her heels. I wear a pair of Columbia boots - they weren't expensive, but they fit my feet perfectly, which is key.

- I don't always use poles, but around here definitely like to have them for steeper trails. We have the kind that telescope, so you can make them small to stick on your pack if you aren't using them, and adjust to your height if you need them.

- I wear snowpants if it's cold enough, but usually work up enough heat that I can get away with just running tights - when that's the case, it's nice to have a pair of gaiters to keep the snow out of your boots.

Have fun!

2014-11-14 11:43 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

I got a Yukon Charlie snowshoe package as a Birthday present the fall I was in Utah.  Basic snowshoes plus poles.  I wrote them asking for replacement lock mechanisms for the poles as one was broken, and they sent me a new set of poles.  I had several friends with the same set, so we kept what we could as "spare parts."  

I wore my Asolo TPS520 (non Gor-Tex) hiking boots and gaiters.  Most of the time, we were out for 1-3 hours on previously hiked trails and I didn't have problems with cold or wet feet.  No gaiters in the attached pic.  

(snowshoe1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
snowshoe1.jpg (455KB - 4 downloads)
2014-11-14 11:46 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Awesome pics!

Edit to make pic plural

Edited by mdg2003 2014-11-14 11:48 AM
2014-11-14 7:34 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
No, I don't snowshoe here in Vietnam! But used to do it quite a bit in winter when I lived in Portland. One thing to keep in kind besides finding the right snowshoes is clothing--I was always surprised at how much heat I built up snowshoeing, especially if it was fresh snow or a hilly route. I almost ended up dressing similar to a run in winter conditions, plus bringing a warm jacket for keeping warm when we stopped for lunch or snacks, or at the end. it also helps to bring a dry base layer or change of clothes for after. If you don't have snowpants or get too hot to wear them, those insulated Trader Joe's bags make great seating pads for stops to help keep the butt warm and dry!

Edited by Hot Runner 2014-11-14 7:37 PM
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Snowshoeing. Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

I want to go snowshoeing

Started by jezzieswims
Views: 991 Posts: 8

2009-12-05 9:34 PM BigDH