General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shaved legs? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-11-26 2:13 PM
in reply to: louamerica

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: RE: Shaved legs?
I was searching for wetsuit threads on a different subject and came across this one and thought I'd add my $0.02. I shaved in high school for swimming and it was a terrible experience, like noted above. I Swore I'd never do it again. I just remember it was in the middle of winter and freezing in NW Pennsylvania and every time I'd get goose bumps the razor burn would hurt like heck.

When I started triathlon almost 20 years later, the shorts I had were ripping out the leg hair on my thighs and it was driving me nuts, and giving me weird looking bald patches. So I had the bright idea to just shave that area...now that looked weird, like hairy thigh highs or something. It was not flattering to only have hair from the top of the knee down, at which point I was kind of cornered into going the full monty. It was uncomfortable at first but then I got used to it. Now I dig it so it's staying. It doesn't take much to keep up and it may help reduce times (as noted) and some other benefits. Also, between the compression sleeves and shorts etc, I can just imagine that my original problem would persist even more now. Mostly though, I think it looks cool.

As far as all the debate; we do all kinds of stuff that may or may not actually help performance from aero helmets to aero bags to aero bottles to aero whatever...yet this is the only one that gets debated so much. Even if the real reason that most of us shave is cause everyone else is doing it or we like how it looks; that's precisely the ONLY reason women have been doing it for decades and nobody give them flack about it. I honestly think hairy legs look kind of weird now.

2014-11-26 4:03 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

I'll just come out and say it, for me it's mostly about vanity    I like the way it looks.  In fact in winter when I get a little more hirsute, I don't like the way my legs look 

Just so happens that it makes massages more comfortable (for me) and turns out it might be a little more aero.  Knock wood never dealt with road rash so can't comment.

So, vanity, and I do it in season, so it's got a little bit of a ritual aspect.  I know it's race season when the Lady Venus razors come out (every real man knows a Lady Venus is the only way to go, LOL). 

Edited by ChrisM 2014-11-26 4:03 PM
2014-11-26 4:05 PM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

I only shave the front of my legs. 

2014-11-26 4:11 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by ChrisM

I'll just come out and say it, for me it's mostly about vanity    I like the way it looks.  In fact in winter when I get a little more hirsute, I don't like the way my legs look 

Just so happens that it makes massages more comfortable (for me) and turns out it might be a little more aero.  Knock wood never dealt with road rash so can't comment.

So, vanity, and I do it in season, so it's got a little bit of a ritual aspect.  I know it's race season when the Lady Venus razors come out (every real man knows a Lady Venus is the only way to go, LOL). 

I'm with ya Chris. After 3 years of clean shaven legs, I saw a picture of myself with hairy legs and my immediate thought was "eww!"

2014-11-26 4:13 PM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by Hook'em

But that.....umm....what?
2014-11-26 4:43 PM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by 3mar

aero in the front, party in the back.

2014-11-26 5:13 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Pro

Originally posted by dmiller5

HAHAHA!!

2014-11-26 6:00 PM

User image

Brooklyn, New York

That's a funny one. Nice
2014-11-26 6:00 PM

User image

Regular
Georgetown, KY

Best advice in this thread! HAHAHA!

For me, I use my tan-line as a guide. Anything white, I knock down with the clippers. Only because I hate it when some of the hair sticks through the bike shorts. Looks ridiculous and it pulls with movement. Anything tan, is au naturale.
2014-11-27 2:56 AM

User image

Hereford, England

I nearly spat my coffee out while laughing at that!
2014-11-27 3:21 PM
in reply to: Eucid

User image

Only time I had shaved legs was for heart surgery three years ago. Not just legs, what they call a "neck down!" Because of the infection risk of surgery like that, they didn't use a razor. The clippers they used gave as close a shave as you could get from a razor, though. They are probably a bit more expensive than what they sell for that purpose in your local pharmacy. I was never fast enough in swim or bike to feel like it would have made a difference to shave, and my wife wouldn't like it either. I was at a recent Gran Fondo, however, and a guy passed me with the hairiest legs I have ever seen in my life. He truly looked like a chimp or Sasquatch; if it was a picture I would assume it was some sort of costume wear. I think if I was that hairy, I might be tempted to thin it a bit with clippers!

2014-11-27 5:00 PM
in reply to: jbrookscga78

User image

Queen Creek, Arizona
I have used balding clippers. work good cheep. but takes to long. now I use have club and shave every other day. works for me....
2014-11-27 5:07 PM
in reply to: Jimmycolorado

User image

Last year at one of the weekly crit races it finally occurred to me that I needed to do it. I was at the start line looking at everyone's legs and they were all shaved. I've been doing it twice a week since then
2014-11-30 4:46 PM
in reply to: naptime

Wollongong, New South Wales
The only reason I would is for massage if I was getting them regularly or worried about road rash. I know a lot of cyclists who do it an say its more psychological for them, makes them feel fast.
Whatever works for you. I hate shaving my face so not adding any more body parts!

Cheers
2014-12-01 11:29 AM
in reply to: Jimmycolorado

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

I meant to shave for my last race but it was on a Sat and I didn't have time to get to it beforehand with work.  I will shave for my next A-race which is in early June.  Heck I've done a lot to save a watt here and there aero wise, so why not shave if its good for 1-5 watts.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shaved legs? Rss Feed  

of 2