Other Resources The Political Joe » Gunbroker - any advice on selling? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-11-13 8:45 PM

User image

Elite
Reno
Subject: Gunbroker - any advice on selling?
No political discussion here - but it's guns, so I will play it safe and put it here, as who knows where it will go. Mr. Booty* has decided to sell some guns and scopes and parts on Gunbroker.com. His tastes tend to the WWII rifles and Russian items. He has often bought people's unfinished projects and finished them after intense research. He has been a longtime buyer there, but never a seller. The goal is to make a profit on his "extra" items and uncrowd the gun safes and work room. We listed some items the other day, and I. see there is a number of choices with starting/reserve/buyitnow pricing, and the extras (featured, colors, etc). There must be some of you out there with some experience and strategy here. Please share.

*Mr. Booty is not his gunbroker name.

2014-11-14 10:39 AM
in reply to: bootygirl

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Subject: RE: Gunbroker - any advice on selling?

Originally posted by bootygirl No political discussion here - but it's guns, so I will play it safe and put it here, as who knows where it will go. Mr. Booty* has decided to sell some guns and scopes and parts on Gunbroker.com. His tastes tend to the WWII rifles and Russian items. He has often bought people's unfinished projects and finished them after intense research. He has been a longtime buyer there, but never a seller. The goal is to make a profit on his "extra" items and uncrowd the gun safes and work room. We listed some items the other day, and I. see there is a number of choices with starting/reserve/buyitnow pricing, and the extras (featured, colors, etc). There must be some of you out there with some experience and strategy here. Please share.

*Mr. Booty is not his gunbroker name.

Mr. Booty might get him a few more hits though.  lol

So, my advice in general is similar to selling on ebay, craigslist, or any other online auction site.

1. Search for what's out there that's similar and see what people are selling it for.
  2. Make sure all the categories are correct because many people looking for specialty items will search through categories.
  3. Make sure the header includes the make/model, and part number if applicable because people peruse through the search results by looking at the heading (or main description)
  4. I'm not a fan of doing a straight auction with a $0 start (no reserve) because you can easily get hosed if there's not a lot of volume or people interested.  I typically sell with a starting price at what my reserve would be and put a "buy it now" at my ideal price.  If there are similar items for sale, then I try to make my prices just a little cheaper.
  5. pictures, pictures, and more pictures.   Think of you buying something online, especially if it's used.  You want to see every angle and closeup possible.  If it's just a picture of a bag or a box, then people will be less comfortable with purchasing it.  Especially if you're new to selling and have little or no feedback.

Good luck, and I hope it works out.

On a side note, check facebook to see if there's a local gun exchange group.  We have a Nebraska Gun exchange group that is very active and I buy/sell most of my stuff through there now

2014-11-14 11:06 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Another option to look into is Armslist . com. The craigslist for guns. Keeps the sale local and face to face which may or may not be a benefit to you. You don't have to pay the associated fees and go through the shipping hassle. But if his stuff only appeals to collectors he may get a better price on gunbroker. Probably worth it to put the stuff up on both sites. 

2014-11-16 1:55 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Elite
Reno
Originally posted by tuwood

Mr. Booty might get him a few more hits though.  lol

So, my advice in general is similar to selling on ebay, craigslist, or any other online auction site.

1. Search for what's out there that's similar and see what people are selling it for.
  2. Make sure all the categories are correct because many people looking for specialty items will search through categories.
  3. Make sure the header includes the make/model, and part number if applicable because people peruse through the search results by looking at the heading (or main description)
  4. I'm not a fan of doing a straight auction with a $0 start (no reserve) because you can easily get hosed if there's not a lot of volume or people interested.  I typically sell with a starting price at what my reserve would be and put a "buy it now" at my ideal price.  If there are similar items for sale, then I try to make my prices just a little cheaper.
  5. pictures, pictures, and more pictures.   Think of you buying something online, especially if it's used.  You want to see every angle and closeup possible.  If it's just a picture of a bag or a box, then people will be less comfortable with purchasing it.  Especially if you're new to selling and have little or no feedback.

Good luck, and I hope it works out.

On a side note, check facebook to see if there's a local gun exchange group.  We have a Nebraska Gun exchange group that is very active and I buy/sell most of my stuff through there now

I would say he did all of this. He has 8 "watchers" on one item, a few on the others

. "Mr Booty" might not attract the kind of attention he is looking for

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Gunbroker - any advice on selling? Rss Feed  
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 20, 2011
author : Coach AJ
comments : 3
Using a high-volume schedule for many months is not the best tactic. Build speed and skill several months out, and then transition to a high-volume IM plan.

date : June 14, 2010
author : Oakley
comments : 0
In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about a few tips to prepare you for your open water swim.
date : January 8, 2010
In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about that 'perfect day off' - as triathletes, it's needed.

date : October 9, 2009
In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about a few variations for brick training.
date : July 28, 2008
author : peteo
comments : 4
Honey, great news. I just spent our kids’ college fund on a new bike! The sales guy said it will shave at least 3 seconds off my 40K time. Umm, honey why do you have a knife in your hand???

date : July 4, 2005
author : Daniel Clout
A lot of my unnecessary troubles and tribulations were because of my defiance, acting on my own naïveté and strong will. I was not acting on the advice given to me.
date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
Triathlons - Not an Ordinary Workout

date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
Triathlon Training Advice and Tips