General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Navigating the buoys Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-11-14 10:18 AM

User image

Subject: Navigating the buoys
This was my first year of swimming in open water and I completed two sprints. I made the same mistake on both triathlons where I bee-lined it right to the buoy, and then lost momentum trying navigate around the buoy without getting stuck under it.

Any advice on how close I should swim to the buoys to make smooth turns >=90 degrees?

And should the turn be continuous or is it better to quickly stop, turn, and then start again?

2014-11-14 3:05 PM
in reply to: cassowary

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: RE: Navigating the buoys

For sprints with a short leg to the 1st buoy I like to take a wider approach and then arc over to the Buoy.  We have a sprint where the course is a large triangle 150yd out, 300 across, 150 back.  For the 1st buoy I start out wide and make a straight line to the outside of the buoy aiming about 10-15' out from it.  This lets all the sprinters & wishful sprinters go to the inside and it always bottlenecks so as I approach the buoy I can cut it if it clears out, or in most cases I have to approach it with an arc and go about 5-10' from it then cut it.  2nd Buoy I take the direct line and do a sharp crossover strokes to make the turn as it has mostly thinned out by then as the wishful sprinters have fallen off and the real sprinters are ahead. 

Ever hear about the corkscrew turn?  I've did this once when it was all clear at the turn. 

X

2014-11-14 7:43 PM
in reply to: Donto

Originally posted by Donto

For sprints with a short leg to the 1st buoy I like to take a wider approach and then arc over to the Buoy.  We have a sprint where the course is a large triangle 150yd out, 300 across, 150 back.  For the 1st buoy I start out wide and make a straight line to the outside of the buoy aiming about 10-15' out from it.  This lets all the sprinters & wishful sprinters go to the inside and it always bottlenecks so as I approach the buoy I can cut it if it clears out, or in most cases I have to approach it with an arc and go about 5-10' from it then cut it.  2nd Buoy I take the direct line and do a sharp crossover strokes to make the turn as it has mostly thinned out by then as the wishful sprinters have fallen off and the real sprinters are ahead. 

Ever hear about the corkscrew turn?  I've did this once when it was all clear at the turn. 

X

x2
I am not a great swimmer but I practiced the corkscrew & have been able to use it during races. I find it easier or perhaps smoother is the better word, to turn at the buoys using this technique. Things do get congested at the turns but I have found that if you stick close to the buoy & use the corkscrew the contact is minimal. Of course, as I stated I am not fast, so I am not in the first, tight pack of swimmers either.
2014-11-14 8:04 PM

User image

Richland, Washington
The idea is not to think of it as a hard 90 degree turn, unless you like getting kicked around. If you are not real keen on getting in close to the buoy due to all the people, I'd suggest taking it a bit wider and arcing the turn a bit. Honestly, depending on where you are in the group, the sheer number of people will help create a current that will propel you around the buoy.
2014-11-14 10:23 PM

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
I'll have to try that technique. I avoided the first bouy since it was so congested but the second one was more open so I did a wide-ish turn and that worked for me. I did almost run into the last bouy like the OP! :D
2014-11-17 1:40 PM
in reply to: ChemNerd23

User image

Awesome advice, thanks everyone. I'll aim about 15' wide next time to keep on the outside of the congestion of that 1st buoy, and then aim in close for the 2nd buoy to try out that corkscrew turn!

2014-11-22 6:34 PM

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Never saw this, but I can so see myself flipping to be blind to the buoy and knock'n someone out with a few hard rotating strokes in a crowded turn lol
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Navigating the buoys Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

navigating with 310xt

Started by trix
Views: 2078 Posts: 7

2010-05-03 7:13 PM dcrainmaker

Simming and pull buoys

Started by sranney
Views: 1225 Posts: 12

2006-03-10 8:26 PM sranney

swimming question: kicking and leg buoy

Started by lablover
Views: 1448 Posts: 9

2005-01-23 4:54 PM madkat

How to navigate or swim in a straight line when swimming freestyle

Started by steven
Views: 2508 Posts: 7

2004-06-28 6:19 PM getwet

Pull Buoys-useful or not?

Started by keepitup
Views: 1219 Posts: 9

2004-05-05 8:51 PM keepitup
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Use this tutorial anytime you see a 'pull' workout indicating paddles. Use a pull buoy too.

date : March 4, 2009
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on pull buoys and paddles, the backstroke, speedwork and drills to avoid the windmill arms.
date : December 24, 2008
Discussions on further swim improvements, spicing up endurance swims, kicking for triathlon, pull buoy usage, not moving while kicking and rest intervals for fast/short sets.

date : December 4, 2008
Discussion on how to properly kick, sculling, the 3/4 catch-up drill, hand entry mechanics and the utility of using fins, buoys, paddles and kick board. PLUS the top pool mistake.
date : October 7, 2008
author : didds
Cotswold super sprint - UK. Lots of bodies colliding, I swam half over someone, got kicked by some bloody breaststroker, and as a mob we poured towards the first buoy.

date : May 19, 2008
author : EnduRight
comments : 1
Next time you reach for your pull buoy, think again. By creating dependency on a buoy, the athlete never learns how to correctly create a more efficient freestyle stroke through better body position.
date : November 28, 2007
Question and answers on swimming strength challenges, is kicking important, 'runners kick' with ankle inflexibility and the usefulness of fins, pool buoys and paddles.

date : September 3, 2005
author : Coach AJ
You may think that all the swims are the same. You get in, follow the buoys and exit. Well, it’s not so simple. What will the water itself be like?