General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Off season and recommendations & 2015 race thoughts Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-11-14 12:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Ferndale
Subject: Off season and recommendations & 2015 race thoughts

Hello everyone.  I am planning on my first 70.3 distance next year, the race I have picked is Half Rev Cedar Point, September 13th 2015.  Already obsessing about the training.....

Little background on me...  

I started doing Triathlons in 2009 mostly sprints, one Olympic Typically 2-3 races a year with 5k, 10k running races, and mountain bike races mixed in for fun.  I did no triathlons in 2014 but did two half marathons and  few 5k races (5K PR got me 2nd in my AG!!!), both half marathons I finished around 2:05 - 2:10...

I want to focus on my swimming and biking over the winter.  I saw a swim workout called the guppies challenge from Slow Twitch in another thread (LINK Page 2) and downloaded it in hopes to use it over the next 10 or so weeks.  I am also thinking of doing the Winter Cycling program at the same time to improve my cycling.  I also plan on running a little throughout the winter as well.  

I plan on using the free 20 Week Beginner Half Plan starting in April 2015.

So now to the questions...

1.  Am I biting of more than I can chew with the swim and bike training plans?  Should I just try to improve 1 discipline?

2.  My goal is to finish in under 6 hours.  Would I be better off buying a membership to get access to different plans?

3.  I have a spring (March) half marathon on my radar.  Would it be smart to do this before starting my training to get a good idea of where I am at running wise?

4.  Would it be  a smart idea to to an Olympic around July to judge fitness and just for fun?

Thanks in advance!!!

Chris

2014-11-14 2:03 PM
in reply to: caffer

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Subject: RE: Off season and recommendations & 2015 race thoughts

all sound good.  i think with the fitness you are going into your plan with in April though you could do better than the beginner plan.  especially since you've been doing SBR to some extent since 2009.  

early August might be better for the Oly

2014-11-15 9:34 PM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

Veteran
Ferndale

Thanks!!  So an Oly about a month before it not to close?

Plans are down on paper, now the fun begins!!

2014-11-17 9:44 AM

User image

I might try those swim workouts that you linked to. After the season ended, I just couldn't drag myself to the pool for a while. I am a slow swimmer, and really needed a break. I have decided to start back Thanksgiving week. Those will be good workouts for me to start with.
I am also planning on doing my first half next year after 2 years of Olys and sprints. I signed up for Musselman. I figure that once I signed up, I couldn't back out. I am much less likely to skip a workout if I have a goal, even if that goal is 10 months away.
2014-11-17 3:30 PM
in reply to: happyscientist

User image

Veteran
Ferndale

I am starting them tonight, I will post up tomorrow about how it goes.  This will be the first time I actually follow a plan instead of just swimming laps in the pool.  Good luck on the training for Mussleman!!

2014-11-17 4:22 PM

User image

Since the BT beginner plan wouldn't have you starting until april, you could probably try and do an early season (May/June) Olympic Tri and follow an olympic plan for that.. that would help have some planning for your early season workouts..

Personally I would completely slack off all winter unless I had early season races.. while they may not be PR races.. they still give me something to work towards.

2014-11-17 4:49 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
My thoughts on your questions..

1. I think your idea of improving bike fitness and swimming over the winter sounds good. But you will be "training" for the March HM most likely starting early Jan, so I would back off a bit on the swim/bike effort to focus on the run.

2. As for the 6 hr goal in the Sept HIM, you are going to have to work to accomplish this I think. Your race log suggests that you would "just" make the 6 hr mark under ideal circumstances. HIM usually doesn't translate to 2 x Oly time, it most likely will be slower, so you might want a bit more intensity in your training than a beginner plan.

3. As for the HM, it will be completely separate from your HIM training, so just treat it as such. You will be ahead of the HIM training for the run fitness obviously, but I wouldn't try to maintain that once you start the HIM plan.

4. The Oly idea is probably ok, it will help break up the monotony of the training, but it's not necessary IMO. Remember when you break from your training to race, there is a recovery period to get back where you were. Oly should not be much recovery, other than 2-3 days.

2014-11-19 11:57 AM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Veteran
Ferndale

Thank you for all the responses!

Metafizx:  

1.  Yea I was thinking the same thing about the spring HM.  I really want to improve the swim and bike, maybe I'll just run a couple of days a week to keep it up.  Maybe that HM is not in the cards for me.

2.  5:59:59 is good enough for me...  I think I will up my membership so that I can get access to different plans.  I understand there are many things that can happen during training or a race that are outside my control. 

3.  Got it!

4.  Yea, I was just thinking it would be fun to break up the training and kind of see the state of affairs.  Good thing I have 9 months to think about that!!!

Also, I did week 1 workout 1 of the swim plan the other day.  

I thought it was fun, in fact, I learned two things.

Dolphin kicking is hard if you have never purposely had to do it.

I armed swimming is even harder than dolphin kicking...

Thanks again everyone!!!! 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Off season and recommendations & 2015 race thoughts Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

2015 season

Started by dsmallacomb
Views: 1438 Posts: 10

2014-11-07 9:14 AM mikerunkle

2015 Tri Season

Started by molivi311
Views: 877 Posts: 3

2014-10-22 2:13 PM Sillygal

2015 Season Schedule

Started by gonzoballz
Views: 790 Posts: 1

2014-09-22 3:14 PM gonzoballz

July 2015 'destination' race - east/NE?

Started by Mike_D
Views: 1233 Posts: 11

2014-08-05 10:47 AM nrpoulin

To off season or not to off season???

Started by molly@rosenblumlawlv
Views: 2067 Posts: 14

2011-08-29 11:26 AM PinkPrincess
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 19, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
Don't power through your off season! Rest and take it easy. Our doctors tell you why rest is important, how long to rest, and what training and exercises you should be doing.

date : January 18, 2013
author : eric_kenney
comments : 0
Looking at your past training to figure out the future season.
date : December 22, 2011
author : Mikael67
End of season thoughts and tips

date : February 2, 2009
author : tonyladd
A discussion on how to use the training and race logs to determine how best to improve your performance for next season.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.

date : December 13, 2004
author : kanoelani
My first experience as a triathlete and my post-season plan.
date : October 31, 2004
author : tmwelshy
To prevent a mental breakdown before you even get to the starting line, use the winter months to set goals, build your base, vary your workouts, cut back on training and throw in some variety.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.