General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clogged up Uvula Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-11-16 8:00 PM

User image

Subject: Clogged up Uvula
When I'm running I feel like my breathing gets impeded by mucus. It feels like it's hanging onto the uvula but it may just be in the back of my throat. I hack and spit and then I'm good for several minutes until I have to repeat the spitting. Does anyone else have this problem? Has anyone found a way to get rid of it?

2014-11-17 2:05 AM
in reply to: b2run

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
Subject: RE: Clogged up Uvula
Are you sipping on a sports drink? Dilute it down a bit. Is it really dusty? Wait till the farmers are done harvesting. Those are the only two culprits for when I have experienced what you described.
2014-11-17 6:51 AM
in reply to: dfroelich

User image

Nope. No sports drink, no dust.
2014-11-17 5:54 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by b2run

When I'm running I feel like my breathing gets impeded by mucus. It feels like it's hanging onto the uvula but it may just be in the back of my throat. I hack and spit and then I'm good for several minutes until I have to repeat the spitting. Does anyone else have this problem? Has anyone found a way to get rid of it?

where is it coming from, upstairs or downstairs? Do you feel like your sinuses or nasal passages are draining? Or do you feel like mucus is coming up from your lungs when you cough? Do you experience it ever when you are not running? Aside form running are there other things that make it worse? Have you found anything that helps mimiize the symptoms (for example being extremely well hydrated before you start running? ) Do you have any history of allergies or asthma? How long has it been happening? The list of questions goes on and on...

See a doctor.
2014-11-17 6:11 PM
in reply to: AdventureBear

User image

Brooklyn, New York
I get aggravating post nasal drip, and have allergies. Got this badly once in an OWS and nearly gagged to death. I take a small amount of ephedrine to help with constriction, but do take guaifinesin to loosen phlegm up and clear it out. There's a bronchiole/asthma relief blend of both at pharmacy counter. I also saline flush alot, since my issue is in the SINUSES, not deriving from chest mucus. As bear said, identify the area it's deriving from. Chest can be a sign of other conditions.
Regarding the possibility of sports drinks, well, I get phlegmy from maltodextrin, not so much from sucrose or dextrose. Staying water hydrated helps with mucus as well
2014-11-17 6:28 PM

User image

Regular
Georgetown, KY
It's sinuses. I take pseudoephedrine pretty much daily in spring and fall and that seems to help. What helps me most is swimming more. Probably gross to others, but nothing clears out those sinuses like a hard swim, especially with some flip turns in there... lol

2014-11-18 2:54 PM
in reply to: #5067970

User image

Drink lots more water. Lots.

And do saline rinses. The neti pot is your friend.

Just my opinion but I would try to stop taking the pseudophedrine.
2014-11-22 3:52 PM

User image

Originally posted by AdventureBear

where is it coming from, upstairs or downstairs? Do you feel like your sinuses or nasal passages are draining? Or do you feel like mucus is coming up from your lungs when you cough? Do you experience it ever when you are not running? Aside form running are there other things that make it worse? Have you found anything that helps mimiize the symptoms (for example being extremely well hydrated before you start running? ) Do you have any history of allergies or asthma? How long has it been happening? The list of questions goes on and on...

See a doctor.

It feels like it's coming from my lungs. I don't cough, it just kind of builds up until I feel like it is impeding my breathing (only slightly) and then I spit and it's good for a while. It only happens when I run, not when I bike or swim or at least I don't notice it. I haven't noticed anything that helps. I'm usually pretty well hydrated when I run. I don't have any allergies or asthma that I know of. I'm not on any meds and eat a healthy diet. I can't figure it out. It's not a big thing but I think I'd to better if it was gone, particularly at the end of a race when you need all the breath you can get.
2014-11-22 4:52 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven

Originally posted by AdventureBear

See a doctor.

It feels like it's coming from my lungs. I don't cough, it just kind of builds up until I feel like it is impeding my breathing (only slightly) and then I spit and it's good for a while. It only happens when I run, not when I bike or swim or at least I don't notice it. I haven't noticed anything that helps. I'm usually pretty well hydrated when I run. I don't have any allergies or asthma that I know of. I'm not on any meds and eat a healthy diet. I can't figure it out. It's not a big thing but I think I'd to better if it was gone, particularly at the end of a race when you need all the breath you can get.

Hmm...if there is no coughing involved I'm less inclined to think it's from the lungs, because how would it arrive in the back of your throat for you to spit it out? Usually unless there is catastrophic heart failure, lung fluids are expelled by coughing. if it's coming from some "upstairs" source experimenting wiht a non sedating antihistimine could be a safe way of seeing if you get any relief...this is then information that you can take to your doctor *hint, hint* to see if there is a better fix.

Any OTC drugs can interfere with your body's ability to stay hydrated or process fluids so it's tough to know what to try. Could it be environmental allergens like smoke, soot, bad air or indoor allergens??
2014-11-22 6:24 PM

User image

Brooklyn, New York
I agree, without coughing I am also less inclined to think it's a lung congestion issue. And I highly doubt if it was, that the lungs would selectively choose running only.
Since you mentioned it being only on run, is there a breathing pattern or style difference causing this? It still sounds like a post nasal drip phlegm build up issue
2014-11-22 6:26 PM
in reply to: miamiamy

User image

Pro
Houston
I have this issue if I have dairy the night before. I try to stay away from milk, ice cream, cheese, yogurt etc.

2014-11-22 6:36 PM
in reply to: KeriKadi

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Originally posted by KeriKadi

I have this issue if I have dairy the night before. I try to stay away from milk, ice cream, cheese, yogurt etc.

Good point, dairy notorious for phlegm cause
2014-11-23 4:30 PM
in reply to: TJHammer

User image

Originally posted by TJHammer

Originally posted by KeriKadi

Good point, dairy notorious for phlegm cause

That probably has something to do with it. I love me my milk.
2014-11-26 5:54 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Brooklyn, New York
b2,how has it been? I was on the track doing intervals and turning heads with the amount of hacking up (and loudly mind you) I was doing, and thought of you lol

Edited by TJHammer 2014-11-26 5:55 PM
2014-11-28 4:46 PM

User image

b2,how has it been? I was on the track doing intervals and turning heads with the amount of hacking up (and loudly mind you) I was doing, and thought of you lol

I appreciate that you were thinking of me. I would have appreciated it more if you were female but I'll take what I can get.
I still haven't figured it out. I just got back from a run and it was - 12 and dry out and still hacking. It has been below freezing here (except for one short hot spell when the temperatures climbed above zero) since the end of October so there can't be plant allergens in the air. I didn't touch dairy since 7:30 this morning so I'm not sure if that's it either. I'm stumped.
2014-11-29 6:53 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

It would behoove a ya, to take care of your Uvula .

Edited by jeffnboise 2014-11-29 6:54 AM

2014-11-29 7:10 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I'd look into the possibility of asthma and/or allergies causing your problems. Not a doctor but have a lifetime of experience with "hacking" as does my mom. What it really sounds like is post-nasal drip getting into the back of your throat and making you cough. If it's asthma, you get bronchial irritation and hack some more. Having both is not uncommon. Asthma can be triggered by all manner of allergens (mainly smoke, dust, and mold in my case), cold, dry air (a trigger I never encounter here in Vietnam but that made my respiratory life hell when I lived in Beijing), or even, in Mom's case, exercise itself. It was explained to her that the nasal/throat congestion she gets on any hard effort is actually a form of exercise induced asthma. Mine mainly affects my sleep and only affects workouts if pollution levels are high. (Sadly, burning the vegetation seems to be a popular pastime in SE Asia.) There are a variety of treatments like antihistamines and preventative and rescue inhalers. I would definitely consult with a doctor as they all have side effects and may be unwise to use long-term or in a race situation. Not sure why you only have issues running, but maybe that's when you are exposed to more of the trigger, or pushing harder? My issues tend to be more on the bike, and in the pool (if it's poorly ventilated, or they're burning down Vietnam outside). I run mostly quiet residential streets very early AM before pollution gets bad, so that may be why it doesn't affect my running as much.

Possible too that diet something to do with it but it's only likely if you have an actual food allergy--I think the connection to dairy has been disproved. The only food I've ever associated respiratory symptoms with has been tomatoes, and I clearly have some level of allergy to them as raw ones often make me break out in hives. Most food allergies would probably cause more obvious symptoms than just some extra phlegm.

Edited by Hot Runner 2014-11-29 7:17 AM
2014-11-29 7:26 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Originally posted by Hot Runner

I'd look into the possibility of asthma and/or allergies causing your problems. Not a doctor but have a lifetime of experience with "hacking" as does my mom. What it really sounds like is post-nasal drip getting into the back of your throat and making you cough. If it's asthma, you get bronchial irritation and hack some more. Having both is not uncommon. Asthma can be triggered by all manner of allergens (mainly smoke, dust, and mold in my case), cold, dry air (a trigger I never encounter here in Vietnam but that made my respiratory life hell when I lived in Beijing), or even, in Mom's case, exercise itself. It was explained to her that the nasal/throat congestion she gets on any hard effort is actually a form of exercise induced asthma. Mine mainly affects my sleep and only affects workouts if pollution levels are high. (Sadly, burning the vegetation seems to be a popular pastime in SE Asia.) There are a variety of treatments like antihistamines and preventative and rescue inhalers. I would definitely consult with a doctor as they all have side effects and may be unwise to use long-term or in a race situation. Not sure why you only have issues running, but maybe that's when you are exposed to more of the trigger, or pushing harder? My issues tend to be more on the bike, and in the pool (if it's poorly ventilated, or they're burning down Vietnam outside). I run mostly quiet residential streets very early AM before pollution gets bad, so that may be why it doesn't affect my running as much.

Possible too that diet something to do with it but it's only likely if you have an actual food allergy--I think the connection to dairy has been disproved. The only food I've ever associated respiratory symptoms with has been tomatoes, and I clearly have some level of allergy to them as raw ones often make me break out in hives. Most food allergies would probably cause more obvious symptoms than just some extra phlegm.

It's not that I'm having to cough. I clear my throat to get rid of the phlegm. Maybe "hacking" was a bad word to use. It doesn't happen when I'm biking, swimming or doing other exercise so I doubt that it's asthma or allergies.
2014-11-29 8:26 AM

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Stumped by the only running aspect. Alright, thinking out of the box now: Clearly phlegm is being loosened and/or produced, and running is the highest impact of all the things you do; therefore, all the bouncing contributes to it? Perhaps you're more of a diligent nose breather during run vs other disciplines?
2014-11-29 9:03 AM

User image

Stumped by the only running aspect. Alright, thinking out of the box now: Clearly phlegm is being loosened and/or produced, and running is the highest impact of all the things you do; therefore, all the bouncing contributes to it? Perhaps you're more of a diligent nose breather during run vs other disciplines?

I breath almost exclusively through my mouth in any kind of exercise. I think that the running-only problem is due to body position. In running and swimming, the lungs and throat are more horizontal.
2014-11-29 12:43 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven

I appreciate that you were thinking of me. I would have appreciated it more if you were female but I'll take what I can get.
I still haven't figured it out. I just got back from a run and it was - 12 and dry out and still hacking. It has been below freezing here (except for one short hot spell when the temperatures climbed above zero) since the end of October so there can't be plant allergens in the air. I didn't touch dairy since 7:30 this morning so I'm not sure if that's it either. I'm stumped.

You'd need a much longer "washout" time to determine if dairy was a culprit.

I'd love to say no dairy for 2 weeks and see how you do, but that's daunting for a lot of folks. Since you tried 12 hours no dairy, try 24 hours no dairy. or 48 even.

2014-11-29 6:04 PM

User image

Brooklyn, New York

I breath almost exclusively through my mouth in any kind of exercise. I think that the running-only problem is due to body position. In running and swimming, the lungs and throat are more horizontal.

That mean you're gulping air a lot? There's a real efficiency to using the nose for breathing. Do you sleep on your back and breathe through your mouth as well?
2014-11-29 6:23 PM

User image

That mean you're gulping air a lot? There's a real efficiency to using the nose for breathing. Do you sleep on your back and breathe through your mouth as well?

I don't get enough air if breath through my nose when exercising. Is it really possible to breath heavily through your nose? I don't think that I sleep on my back much, if at all. I do breath through my nose when I'm not exercising and while I'm sleeping though.
2014-12-01 5:54 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
i can't believe we are still posting to this thread, lol. Running, even easy, will generally create a much larger volume of air movement in your lungs which could explain things. When I hydrate really well, then do vigorous activity I cough much more and bring up phelgm . Whereas normally I don't cough at all, and never notice a difference either way. We all have mucus on the lungs and under normal circumstances it is brought up by fine hairs lining the airway passages like an escalator for mucus. running could speed up that process simply becuase more air is moving in and out more qucikly.
2014-12-01 6:01 PM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

Originally posted by AdventureBear i can't believe we are still posting to this thread, lol. Running, even easy, will generally create a much larger volume of air movement in your lungs which could explain things. When I hydrate really well, then do vigorous activity I cough much more and bring up phelgm . Whereas normally I don't cough at all, and never notice a difference either way. We all have mucus on the lungs and under normal circumstances it is brought up by fine hairs lining the airway passages like an escalator for mucus. running could speed up that process simply becuase more air is moving in and out more qucikly.

Some people are tall.  Some people have dry skin.  Some people produce a lot of phlegm, which becomes apparent during exercise.  I am a phlegmy one.

Keep spitting, my friend. Keep spitting.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clogged up Uvula Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

sit ups

Started by Ern
Views: 1072 Posts: 10

2007-08-01 5:14 PM dmorgan_jazz9

Warm Ups- What do YOU do?

Started by Adam P
Views: 862 Posts: 5

2006-10-20 9:31 AM marymosc13

Question about water bottle hand-ups

Started by smiley k
Views: 1071 Posts: 3

2006-09-21 9:58 AM drewb8

Stolen UPS package - HELP!

Started by KenyonTri
Views: 3595 Posts: 7

2006-07-05 11:23 PM Zev

veins and arteries kinda clogged?

Started by arturcampos
Views: 610 Posts: 3

2004-11-10 2:03 PM arturcampos
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 19, 2013
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Step-Up exercise instruction with pictures and video

date : March 5, 2006
author : TH3_FRB
comments : 0
The goal is to get stronger while your swim, bike and run training schedule is relatively light and you can afford to hit the weights hard a couple times each week.