General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Skin rash from tri top Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-11-17 6:04 AM

Subject: Skin rash from tri top
I bough an Orca 226 tri top and absolutely love it for racing....but I seem to have developed an allergic reaction to the material. I have tried Loobit and Body glide and even changed the sunscreen I wear..but the rash still appears. It is just around the neck area and nowhere else, so I am unsure if it is the material or the sunscreen/lube I use. the itch is insanely uncomfortable! I am considering drinking an antihistamine before wearing it as buying a new one is currently not a possible option, but worried about the effects it might have on my race and of course my body. Any ideas, suggestions and tips desperately needed. Next event in two weeks!

2014-11-18 6:04 AM
in reply to: Louise26

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Skin rash from tri top
I've had this issue with a few run tops and even some work clothes--probably related to heat/humidity here as well as sentsitive skin. If it's only happening in one place it is probably from friction rather than an allergic reaction, so an antihistamine won't do much good. At any rate, it's probably safer to just go ahead and get a rash once a in while than to mess with antihistammines before a race, unless itching is driving you crazy during the race. If the trouble area is small, would a waterproof bandaid or something work? I've worn them and had them stay on for a sprint tri under my suit (over road rash that I didn't want to rub or to get salt water in). The other thing would be to get the top off as soon as possible after the race and get into something clean and dry.

If it is actually allergy related (which I doubt, because it would probably affect a larger area), you might look into what you are using to wash the tri top. Lots of people use special sports washes or liquid soap for delicates and if it's a product you're not used to, maybe you're allergic to it and that area just happens to be where you have more contact or more sensitive skin. There are a few detergent products sold here in Asia that I have to avoid because when I wash clothes in them, it makes me itch, especially in hot, humid weather (which is pretty much all the time). I have really sensitive skin, though (allergic to lots of soaps, makeup products, and sunscreens) so this is probably not that common.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Skin rash from tri top Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

road rash treatment?

Started by KathyG
Views: 6125 Posts: 9

2005-09-27 11:40 PM AdventureBear

Road Rash recovery

Started by gocorey
Views: 2061 Posts: 11

2005-08-10 11:07 AM gocorey

Chlorine rash???

Started by line
Views: 1328 Posts: 9

2005-06-30 12:03 AM line

Skin Rash Solutions for Men - Suggestions

Started by jerry
Views: 974 Posts: 3

2005-06-29 8:42 AM dibujob

road rash infections?

Started by DRLski
Views: 4503 Posts: 3

2005-05-31 12:08 AM Dr Hammer
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 21, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
My foot is now in a tremendous amount of pain, it is swollen, and I can barely walk on it at all, it hurts so much. I am still putting the gel on, taking anti inflammatories, and icing. Help!

date : January 9, 2010
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
Does a degree or two difference between two frames(head and/or seat tube) really make that much of a difference when it comes to fit?
date : August 24, 2009
I sometimes have severe pains on the top of my left foot. It feels like a knife is stabbing my inner foot on the outer portion of my foot. These pains happen mainly at night but not while riding.

date : November 11, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
Does compression clothing really work? Coach AJ was able to try out a line of compression wear by Skins during the 2008 Annual Hawaii Ironman Triathlon.
date : November 3, 2008
While not the most pleasant topic, saddles sores are a common phenomenon within the cycling community. Learn what causes saddle sores and how to prevent them from occurring.

date : August 7, 2007
Yesterday I ran 10 miles. At mile 7 it started feeling sore. At mile 9.5 I got a shooting pain and walked the last 1/2 mile. I have a half Ironman to do in a week and a half. What are my chances?
date : July 3, 2006
author : TriDoc5280
comments : 1
There are other risks that may not be perceived because of their long term nature. This article deals with one of those, the risk of developing skin cancer.