General Discussion Race Reports! » Capt Hiram's River Challenge Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Capt Hiram's River Challenge Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Sebastian, Florida
United States
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 12m 4s
Overall Rank = 15/63
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 6/10
Pre-race routine:

Way off from routine. Very scattered. In from out of town. Drove around a bit to find a coffee shop. Pre-race "meal" of OJ/Banana/Coffee/Clif Bar consumed in fits and starts and closer to race start than anticipated. Luckily, it was a small venue and only a few steps to get back to the parking lot.
Event warmup:

Also way off from routine. Very little time to warm-up for the run and stretch. Had rested my legs for a week beforehand to rehab my Achilles, and so had wanted a longer walk/jog with dynamic stretches and some strides. Just rushed it so could get into wetsuit and get to the pre-race meeting. Also, had extra layers due to cool morning and had to get back to stow those away. A bit hectic. Did get into the water in my wetsuit and did some splashing about before and after brief pre-race meeting. Felt ready for the swim. Nice and toasty in the wetsuit. Felt fine over my tri top/shorts. Nice woman offered to check that I was zipped up properly, and I was.
Swim
  • 08m 41s
  • 541 yards
  • 01m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

2 start waves. Men first. Then women. Felt good, but stood up a couple times just to orient and get bearings after collisions. Seemed very quick. Enjoyable, especially with wetsuit. Swam with tempo trainer at 1:12. Tried drafting a bit on way back but few options. There was some body to body collisions, but it was minor. Found myself veering off course several times, so tried sighting more frequently. If had swam more straight, would have been out of the water sooner! Still, wetsuit speed just destroys non-wetsuit speed! A bunch of guys were wearing no wetsuit or a shorty.
What would you do differently?:

Sight more frequently and put TT on faster pace. 1:10 would have been fine. 1:05 maybe even. Learn to swim straight!
Transition 1
  • 00m 53s
Comments:

Just a quick little run up sandy beach, through tiki bar, and out into front parking lot. Really cute! Had put body glide on outside of wetsuit at wrists and ankles. That really did the trick! Goggles up, unzipped, and stripped to the waist while running to T1. Then goggles/cap/TT off and in hand by the time I got to bike. Wetsuit off. Stepped into pan of water/popped shot blocks at same time. Sunglasses and helmet on, and I was off. Seat briefly caught on rack, but little to slow me down.

3rd in age group behind :37 and :51. Feel really good about that. This and T2 made a difference and put me within striking distance of AG competitor with much slower transitions. 10/63 overall.

New protocol. Use a gel in T1. No more shot blocks. Hard to chew and swallow while breathing hard. Ended up chewing on them for 1/2 mile on bike then spitting them out.
Bike
  • 37m 32s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 19.82 mile/hr
Comments:

Really tried to push it and give everything I had. Fueling was screwy. Took a couple gels. First was to make up for initial shot blocks I did not get. Felt queasy a bit after that, but knew I wanted another gel 3-4 miles out of the run for extra energy. Took it around 1.5 miles out, so was feeling yucky at start of run. Water in aero position was tricky, and felt I drank a bit too much. It was not that hot, but I took 3/4 of my aero bottle - probably only needed 1/2. I was passed by about 6-8 bikers. Usually big tree-trunk legged guys on aero bikes I beat out of T1. There was a bunch of drafting and no race officials, which pissed me off. Especially as I was struggling on bike.

Stood a couple times to refresh legs and get back up to a higher cruising speed. Did work on proper pedaling technique, which helped.

Need to concentrate on building power and my stamina on the bike in the off season.
Transition 2
  • 00m 40s
Comments:

3-way tie for 2nd place in T1. There were 2 :43's and a :45 as well. Again, I was much faster than the guy who came in 5th. 16/63 overall

Nothing.
Run
  • 24m 19s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

Legs felt like lead off of the bike. It did not go away the entire run. First guy I passed at about 1/2 mile was one of the big dudes who smoked me on the bike. I got passed by a 30-something shortly after, who looked like he was not even breathing hard. Just gliding along. Kept him in my sights. He congregated with a few guys up ahead by a couple hundred yards. My mind vascillated between "running my race" and trying to catch up to them. Decided to "run my race" instead, at first. Drank a cup and poured a cup on myself at the turnound. I built speed from about 1.5 to 2 mile mark, drawing closer to them, and then at the 2 mile mark, decided to give everything I had. I know I was going at or below 7 min pace because I was breathing very hard and feeling strained. I picked off 3 of the 4 before the final sprint, and the last guy, the race director - in his 20's (!) looked over his shoulder to see me coming, and put on a burst of speed at the end so he finished before me. Very happy with the finishing pace, which met my goal of a sub-8 5k in a Sprint this season. Wish I had timed my splits better, because I knew my target paces and it would have helped me adjust as needed. My run has gotten significantly faster my last three races this season: 8:26/mile, 8:09/mile, 7:50/mile.

Even though I have done a bunch of bricks since my last race, I skipped those in the last couple weeks to spare my Achillles. This would have helped my legs

I would have kept an eye out for guys in my AG passing me as I neared the turnaround. The AG'er who came in 5th beat me by 18 seconds! If I had paid more attention, I would have seen the guy right before I hit the turnaround at 1.5 miles. I would have pushed the pace earlier and might have caught him. I never even saw him pass!
Post race
Warm down:

Greeted by kids and parents. Water, juice, chatting.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need more bike fitness. More bricks and more run tempo work. Want to start paying a little more attention to my competition so I can keep track of AG'ers I'm competitive with. Find that if I have a focus like that, it pushes me to perform at a higher level and dig deeper. Still trying to gauge my limits. On run in particular, feel like I'm holding back, but on a 5k, I may want to push the limits earlier.

Event comments:

Enjoyable small race for a good cause. Volunteers were awesome as were local police. Wish they would have enforced drafting rules because all the guys passing me in the bike were drafting. Post-race food was non-existent. They had water, juice, and gatorade. I saw no food.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2014-09-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:41 | 541 yards | 01m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/10
Overall: 16/63
Performance: Good
Suit: Yes
Course: Out and back to pair of buoys, keeping buoys on the left. Sandy beach/sandy bottom. Shallow for first 100 or so yards, so could actually stand at times. Absolutely flat. In intracoastal, but mostly between two boat docks, so very protected.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:53
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:37:32 | 12.4 miles | 19.82 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/10
Overall: 25/63
Performance: Average
Was up at 20.5 mph for first few miles. On highway, slowed down a bit due to fatigue, but on back road last couple miles, I was back to about 22 mph.
Wind: Some
Course: Back road for 2 miles then merge with 4-lane highway continuing south. All lights and cross-streets manned by police, who stopped traffic for us. Great! Down 2 miles, then doubled back at turnaround and continued north on main highway for 6 more miles, then turned onto back road for last 2 miles. Google Maps shows it as 12.6, which would put pace at 20.1 mph.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 00:40
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:19 | 03.11 miles | 07m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/10
Overall: 12/63
Performance: Average
Hit lap button at the 2 mile mark and then pushed the pace to catch the pack. Forgot to hit the lap button when I crossed the finish line. Was curious to see how fast I was. Felt like I was around 7:00/mile until the final stretch, which was a sprint.
Course: Out and back on back road.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-11-17 9:24 AM

User image

Subject: Capt Hiram's River Challenge Triathlon

2014-11-17 6:53 PM
in reply to: #5068062

User image

Master
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Capt Hiram's River Challenge Triathlon
Congrats on a well executed and fast race!
2014-11-17 10:30 PM
in reply to: #5068062

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Really well done.  It was fun reading your report.  Glad your Achilles wasn't an issue for you.

2014-11-18 8:31 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Thanks for the feedback, guys! Posted some photos of the start and finish, too.
2014-11-19 10:17 AM
in reply to: PsyTri

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Congrats on the race! Way to push through and focus on running your race. Chasing people down can be good to, but it sounds like you finished well.

The pictures look awesome as well! So beautiful!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Capt Hiram's River Challenge Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

RIVER CHALLENGE PADDLE TRIATHLON

Started by Jschrenker
Views: 585 Posts: 1

2013-04-28 12:15 PM Jschrenker

River Challenge Duathlon

Started by tcheck
Views: 736 Posts: 1

2010-04-27 4:33 PM tcheck

River Challenge Duathlon

Started by Kam29
Views: 1665 Posts: 8

2010-04-27 10:34 PM marmadaddy

River Challenge Paddle Triathlon

Started by Ridgelake
Views: 1545 Posts: 9

2010-04-27 12:38 PM cusetri

Platte River Adventure Challenge

Started by KMac40
Views: 576 Posts: 1

2006-12-26 8:16 PM KMac40
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 14, 2008
author : dr_forbush
comments : 0
In addition to writing your race number on each upper arm, they also wrote your age on your calf. This allowed me to see who was passing me by in the bike section of this race.

date : November 28, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Question and answers on swimming strength challenges, is kicking important, 'runners kick' with ankle inflexibility and the usefulness of fins, pool buoys and paddles.
date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.

date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.
date : January 7, 2007
author : Ontherun
comments : 4
We were all there once, a beginner. Time to take the challenge and help a beginner triathlete!

date : January 29, 2006
author : lv2teach
comments : 1
It’s a challenge to push yourself a little harder and a little further. Be proud of every workout that is accomplished and every step-even the baby ones-that you take on this course to the finishline.
date : September 3, 2005
author : infosteward
The Boulder Peak bike course is legendary. It is, literally and named as such, one of the toughest bike legs in the country.

date : August 31, 2004
WAYNESVILLE, Ohio (August 22, 2004) Professional triathlete Felipe Bastos (BRA/USA) took another trip to Ohio this weekend...