Other Resources My Cup of Joe » My life is a country song.... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2014-11-17 9:00 PM

User image

Elite
Subject: My life is a country song....
So... At the beginning of Summer, my power plant burned down. Oil fire. 60-70 hour weeks for the next three months getting 2 of the 3 units back up. Then, when that wound down, my boss took a big steaming dump on my chest. I would resign, but I have no place to go and I'm the only wage maker. Mind you, prior to that, I would have taken a proverbial bullet for my company. That's how much I loved my company.

I've been completely spun for the last 3 months. Started smoking again. Ran two HMs that I didn't train for. My nerve pain is worse. Nothing has helped. I'm up to deciding on spinal cord stimulation... Not exactly thrilled about that. It would probably be accurate to say I'm in a bit of a depression. It's really wearing on me.

To top it all off... My baby Sammie got hit by a car a couple weeks ago. Broke pelvis, dislocated hip. $6k. Chased a rabbit. She never did that, until she did that. She's getting better.

So how was everybody else's Summer?

2014-11-18 6:57 AM
in reply to: powerman

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: My life is a country song....
Assume you are misery wanting company......Nothing at all on the level of those crises, but all in all not a great summer. I was really looking forward to training in my hometown, which is, after all, "Running Capital of the World". Planning to crush my best Oly time and get down near 2:30. i had the basic fitness and the training situation to do it. We even had a trip planned to Kona. The reality?

*Two weeks after getting home, tripped over either a stick or my own feet on a run, bruised my kees so badly I couldn't run for a week or do normal training for another two weeks. A recurring theme in my running life. i've been at it since I was 10, at times running as much as 90 miles a week, and apart from a few bouts of PF as a teen, ALL of my " running injuries" have either been from tripping over my own feet, or non-running injuries that made running painful.
* I couldn't sleep, basically, all summer, owing to a combination of uncomfortable bed, allergies (to our house? Oregon? My sinuses become a mess within 24 hours of entering the Willamette Valley, pretty much year round.), insomniac family, travel, etc.
* Finally able to run normally again, had a nice trip to Vancouver and Honolulu, but Kona had torrential downpours every day due to tropical strom offshore. The waves were actually crashing onto Alii Drive and people were surfing off the pier where the IM starts. On one of the rare nice days, I went swimming at a normally calm beach and managed to get thrown out of the water, badly bruising my ribs and pretty much everything on one side of my body. Had I not twisted onto my side while being slammed by the wave, might have broken my neck going head first onto the beach.
*The next week managed to do a tri anyway (goal race) despite even changng shoes in transition being really painful. Managed to do an Oly PB.....by a whopping 17 seconds.
* Ribs hurt for the next month.
*Dad had a major health crisis two days before I returned to Vietnam. Didn't even want to go back but due to job, pets, etc. had to.
*Then caught the flu on the plane coming back and felt wretched until a few days before school started. No way to take those days off, plus moving into a new place.

Hate to say it, but it was one of the few times I've ever felt relieved that summer was over.

On the plus side, Dad is doing better and my cats are healthy. And it's not summer anymore.
2014-11-18 7:42 AM

User image

No words of wisdom other then I feel your pain. I've had a craptastic '13 and '14 due to mom passing, put dog down, injuries and horrible job. Most of that was this year. At the end of the day still have a great family and that's what matters to me. It'll get better!Still managed some PBs in the few races I managed to do with minimal training. A top 25 OA finish which I was happy about.Put the ciggies back down. Former smoker so I'm not judging and I know that's a tough battle. 2015 is right around the corner so here's hoping we all have a better year.
2014-11-18 8:41 AM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Pro
Tejas
Have you tried gabapentin for your pain? Ive been on it for almost a month now and am having mixed feelings about it. It really seems to work on the persistent nagging pain, but I get a Nyquil type buzz for a bit after taking it. When the pain really kicks in after a physical activity, it does nothing and I take a vicodin. I'm in the process of titrating up the gabapentin, so maybe at higher doses all will be well.
2014-11-18 8:47 AM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

In about 48 hours, my City will be a war zone.  That should be fun.

2014-11-18 11:26 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite

Hot Runner, grab a beer. Welcome. 

Goggles... Ya, I was a light smoker, I really hate it actually, just a habit. Quit several years ago... Off and on. Now on, but definitely need to be off. I'm starting this week. Feel like crap.Congrats on the races, really sorry you lost your loved ones.

Mdg.... Lyrica made it worse but that was pre surgery. Was on nuerotin for a while after surgery. It's like talking stupid pills. At my highest dose I couldn't even put a sentence together. I might actually accept that if it helped, but no relief. Doc finally tells me everything is permanent. That hit me hard. Then I thought I had a simple solution... 2 pain docs tell me won't work. Pain originates in cord so can't burn nerves. Next is SCS. I think it's getting worse, but just might be all the added BS. My wife even suggested weed.... Sounds awesome to me... But I might as well put a bullet in my head now because that is exactly where I will end up. That's just indicative of our level of frustration for some sort of relief.

Ya, Ferguson... That should be a hoot.

Edited by powerman 2014-11-18 11:34 AM

2014-11-18 12:01 PM

User image

Regular
Georgetown, KY
Sorry about your troubles! It will get better though. I've had some bad months and some good months, but if you stay positive, it will all be good memories eventually. There is an old quote I always try to think of, especially when I start feeling depressed about all the bad happening in a given time: "You're only as happy as you make your mind up to be." Think about the good things like the reasons you work, and don't fret so much on how much your work sucks. All jobs suck, you won't get away from that.

Sorry about your dog, glad she is getting better! I too spent $6000 for my dog in January. He ate a bag of dark chocolate chips....
2014-11-18 4:27 PM
in reply to: Bradleykd

New user
Key West
Sorry to read about your summer. Mine could have been better, could have been worse. Started with me falling 3 days before a marathon and breaking some bones in my hand, then my earnings took a nose dive which in turn forced me to realize I cannot retire in paradise--so house on the market and looking for a less expensive rest of my life, and my number 2 kitty this year to be diagnosed with cancer lost her battle. But, believe it or not, this wasn't my worst summer or year. That came 10 years ago, the year I turned 50, when I lost my only child to a lifelong battle with a genetic disease, the man that I thought was my soul mate broke up with me, and I lost a cat who had been through everything with me for 14 years (yes, yet another cat died). There have been other bad days, weeks, months and years along my 60 years, but none as bad as that one and none so bad that I am not still thankful for the good things in my life. My mantra since I was pretty young is that things could always be worse. One needs to only look around a bit and see how bad others have it to appreciate what you have.

Just look at it this way, it is all character building. Right?!
2014-11-18 5:31 PM
in reply to: Bob Loblaw

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Bob Loblaw

Eh......I will remain positive on this one.  I imagine there will be some stupidity on all sides....and maybe we'll all learn something about each other.  Hopefully we get through it without any loss of life.  Those are hard lessons.

PM - keep your chin up....you know the drill....left foot, right foot, left foot.  You've been down that road, there's light in front of you.

2014-11-19 8:56 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

My wedding planner says I need my own reality TV show
-In Sept my employer released me with out cause. 90 days to find a new job
-Wedding looming 12/13/14
-I injured my knee at the beginning of sept (running straight ahead on a flat surface...who does that?) It became significantly worse SLEEPING (again who does that) To the point walking was difficult and stairs were impossible-This resulted in knee surgery 10/10 and lets just say my knee is a mess
-Which resulted in no IM this year
-In the mean time still trying to find a job
-Had not one but TWO maids of honor bail on me for the wedding.
-I still can't run and knee keeps getting tweaked
-The weekend i had my knee surgery my cat died
-I have another cat who vomits daily. Between trying to track that down and the one that died I am about $4000 in vet bills the last 6 weeks and I am still cleaning up cat vomit daily and my baby is gone
-My fiance's ex is being vile hauling him into court over stupidity and they are threatening to put him in jail every weekend = no wedding I have a boatload of money wrapped up in.  WHY only the weekends? Because he couldn't work if he were in jail during the week and would loose his job
-There is a possibilty said vile ex will try to come after me for money after we get married

On the good side I am verbally committed to a job in January (waiting for the contract), I am seeing an atty friday to get a pre-nup, I found two lovely ladies to be in my wedding

2014-11-19 11:29 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by Socks

My wedding planner says I need my own reality TV show
-In Sept my employer released me with out cause. 90 days to find a new job
-Wedding looming 12/13/14
-I injured my knee at the beginning of sept (running straight ahead on a flat surface...who does that?) It became significantly worse SLEEPING (again who does that) To the point walking was difficult and stairs were impossible-This resulted in knee surgery 10/10 and lets just say my knee is a mess
-Which resulted in no IM this year
-In the mean time still trying to find a job
-Had not one but TWO maids of honor bail on me for the wedding.
-I still can't run and knee keeps getting tweaked
-The weekend i had my knee surgery my cat died
-I have another cat who vomits daily. Between trying to track that down and the one that died I am about $4000 in vet bills the last 6 weeks and I am still cleaning up cat vomit daily and my baby is gone
-My fiance's ex is being vile hauling him into court over stupidity and they are threatening to put him in jail every weekend = no wedding I have a boatload of money wrapped up in.  WHY only the weekends? Because he couldn't work if he were in jail during the week and would loose his job
-There is a possibilty said vile ex will try to come after me for money after we get married

On the good side I am verbally committed to a job in January (waiting for the contract), I am seeing an atty friday to get a pre-nup, I found two lovely ladies to be in my wedding

oh good, now because the employer didn't read the contract they signed with the recruiting firm I may be screwed out of a job

Edited by Socks 2014-11-19 11:29 AM

2014-11-19 1:13 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by Bob Loblaw

Eh......I will remain positive on this one.  I imagine there will be some stupidity on all sides....and maybe we'll all learn something about each other.  Hopefully we get through it without any loss of life.  Those are hard lessons.

PM - keep your chin up....you know the drill....left foot, right foot, left foot.  You've been down that road, there's light in front of you.

I hope you're right, but I don't share your optimism.  Stay safe and thanks for your service.

2014-11-19 11:00 PM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Elite

Originally posted by Socks

oh good, now because the employer didn't read the contract they signed with the recruiting firm I may be screwed out of a job

Sorry to hear that Socks. Definitely sucks when we have pet problems. Thanks for always taking your time to answer some Dr. questions. Be sure to have fun at the wedding!

2014-11-19 11:05 PM

User image

Elite

Thanks everyone... perspective helps. I know me personally, and I know I will get past it. Not because I am some Pollyanna miss Sunshine type... I just get bored being mad and down. I also know I'm not the only person that has medical issues. If you ask me would I rather be paralyzed, or have nerve damage from surgery... well... I would rather be 100%

Sorry... ya, I'll take walking thank you. It's just been a trip.

2014-11-20 10:34 AM

, Virginia

Hang in there! Into everyone's life a little rain must fall so you just have to learn how to dance in it, or in my case, just waddle around for a bit. 2014 certainly has had it's fair share of "tension" and its a daily fight for me to trust that it will all turn around. Some days I feel like the luckiest person walking the face of the earth, some days I believe I live in Hell......I won't go into details. Just hang in there, keep your chin up and remember....you get to do it all again tomorrow!

2014-11-20 8:38 PM
in reply to: #5068241

User image

Elite
So a couple months or so ago, I got some stuff and made a gym downstairs. I just haven't used it yet. 2 days without smoking, I did my first TRX workout, and did 20 minutes on the punching bag. It sucks, but I gotta start someplace. Used my new Jaybird earphones. I really like them. Put on some good hate music, got some aggression out.

Now it's time to start Sammie' rehab. Got a couple exercises we have to do with her everyday. It would be awesome to go running with her again next Spring. Doc says her x-ray looks good, and she is down 8 pounds and exactly where she needs to be. Now we just have to keep her there. Doc says if she is lean, she will be near 100% with her OFA.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » My life is a country song.... Rss Feed