General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 1st Marathon wrap-up Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-11-17 11:58 PM

Shanghai, China, Unknown
Subject: 1st Marathon wrap-up
I completed my 1st marathon on November 2nd (Shanghai Marathon). I mainly have done triathlons in the past (Olympic distance and 70.3), so 42km was new to me. I didn't really have enough long runs in beforehand, but decided to do it about 1 month before the race. My target was to run it somewhere around 3 hours 45 minutes... which was probably a little optimistic for my running ability.

So the day started at 4:20am. I wake up eat a light breakfast and get dressed and leave the house around 5:30am. Race starts at 7am, so I am right on time. I am walking to the starting area when I remembered I need to put the timing chip on my shoe. I check my pockets... nothing, I knew instantly what happened. I left my clothes and stuff out in the living room the night before (so I didn't wake my wife when I got up)... my 3 year old saw an interesting little "toy" and took it. I am panicking by now... the whole area is blocked off so I start running to try and find a taxi. Luckily I find one, he drives fast, I find the chip and make back for the start of the race! And to my credit, I did not strangle the baby when I got home (honestly, my fault... this is my 3rd child, I should know better)!

The race started at 7am and it was pouring down rain, the temperature was about 60 degrees... other than the rain, just about perfect! About 1km into the race, I noticed my shoes felt like they weighed 10lbs each (good shoes, but they don't drain well). Heavy shoes, not enough mileage training, and a long race... I knew things were gonna be tough later on!

I ran comfortably at ~5:20 to 5:30 / km pace for the next 20km. My heart rate stayed at ~155 BPM (top of Z3)... a little high but not bad. Right around the mid point of the race I noticed my heart rate creeping up to about 163... I maintained pace and tried to control my breathing.

At the 30km mark, things started to slip. My feet were killing me, and my legs were aching from top to bottom. My heart rate was ~166. My pace had slipped back to about 5:40 /km and I was struggling to maintain it. This is when my mind started to play games... I knew I was in trouble, and needed to maintain this pace for another hour!

At the 35km mark lots of people are walking and stretching at the side of the road. I continue to trudge on but now my pace had slipped even farther to 6:10 / km... not good! My heart rate was at 170 and it hurt to move my legs (and I was having intermittent chest pains)... I REALLY wanted the race to be over!

At the 40km mark, 2.2km still felt like a long ways! Lots of people walking, I am moving along at a snails pace... I new I missed the 4 hour target and was pissed off I couldn't get it done. I sprinted the last 100 meters, great sense of relief to finish. But my legs were so stiff I could barely sit down. I finished in 4:03... all-in-all not too bad. My wife met me at the finish line and we took the subway home. After the race, I told myself I am NEVER doing a marathon again! After a few weeks, the pain isn't so fresh in my mind and am already planing to do it again next year :-).

A few lessons learned:
- don't leave race chip on couch for baby to steal (rookie mistake)
- wool socks and a pair of shoes with better drainage
- start off slower (again, another rookie mistake)

A few comments on the marathon:
- well organized and fun atmosphere
- no groupings based on your estimated finish time... wish leads to a bit of a free-for-all at the start
- not enough porta-potties along the course
- quite a few pace groups to follow

Rob

2014-11-18 3:53 PM
in reply to: robdmac167

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Subject: RE: 1st Marathon wrap-up

First off, big congratulations on finishing your first Marathon.  Your experience was very similar to mine, I think I finished at 4:15 or something like that, and I was gunning for the 3:45-4:00 range.

I also didn't do enough long runs, which contributed heavily to the late race leg cramp issues.  I also discovered over time that my nutrition plan was in about as good of shape as my legs were. 

For subsequent long distance races I made it a point to ensure I did a lot more long runs as well as practiced my full nutrition plan.  After a half a dozen nutrition failures I finally found a mix that works for me for calories/hydration and omg does it make a difference.  I'm not a medical professional by any means, but I think nutrition can have as much or more effect on your legs giving out late in the race as not running enough.

Either way, you did it and I'm sure you learned a lot.  Good luck on your next race.

Tony

2014-11-19 9:41 AM
in reply to: #5068256

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
Intermittent chest pains would concern me. Unless those were stomach issues (which can sometimes feel similar) I'd get that checked out.
2014-11-19 11:17 PM
in reply to: #5068562

Shanghai, China, Unknown
My fueling wasn't so good, I usually only intake fluids during training. I obviously need to add that into my normal training. Definitely I plan to increase the mileage for next year!

I happened to have a normal check-up the week after the, no issues with the heart. I still don't know what caused the chest pain, it's not normal for me (then again, neither is running 42k!).
2014-11-19 11:57 PM
in reply to: #5068748

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
Nice report and neat to see you decided to signup again!
2014-11-23 2:42 PM
in reply to: #5068750

User image

I enjoyed reading your account, I could almost repost it as mine based on some of your comments. Finished my first marathon a few hours ago in Philly. Weather was beautiful, felt great throughout despite some ugly blisters that developed late in the run. Feeling pretty good, typical quad soreness which creeped up around mile 19 or so, but I was able to push through and kept striding. My first goal was to finish, second goal was sub 4:00, third goal (crazy) was to qualify for Boston. 2 out of 3 isn't too bad. I finished in 3:47. Honestly pretty pleased with my first go. Most importantly I had an absolute blast!
I need to be more diligent with my training to go after the third goal, but with a job and 5 kids, life gets in the way and I am ok with that.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 1st Marathon wrap-up Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

1st Marathon in 1st IM?

Started by bradaskins
Views: 1561 Posts: 23

2011-08-21 9:48 PM msteiner

1st HIM and 1st Marathon in same month?

Started by windandsurf
Views: 1088 Posts: 15

2011-04-08 6:42 PM tri808

Clip on aeros: how to wrap/should I wrap?

Started by merlin2375
Views: 958 Posts: 8

2009-03-10 9:12 AM pvanbuskirk

1st OWS-1st Tri Questions

Started by retiretotri
Views: 924 Posts: 3

2006-06-26 10:26 AM cadreamer

10k, 1/2 Marathon warm ups?

Started by autumn
Views: 1194 Posts: 4

2004-09-30 9:40 PM slow&steady