General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rollers Platform Build (warning lots of pics) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-11-18 12:02 PM

User image

Subject: Rollers Platform Build (warning lots of pics)
This is two years in the making. I've had surgery and sometimes after a Dr's appointment I'm a bit not-quite-as-stable-as-I'd-like so I decided I need the fork stand occasionally.

The original build:

First finished:

Cut outs in the front for use with the fork stand:

With the fork stand in place:

Using a trainer with the fork stand. The 2X4 is so I don't get dents in the wheel from it sitting on the drum:

With the cut outs in place as bumpers, using rollers:

With the trainer using a riser block:

2014-11-18 12:21 PM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: Rollers Platform Build (warning lots of pics)

Nice work.  Did you post about that original frame a few years ago?  I actually built something very (very) similar and I think it was based off of what you posted.  I used it all the time when I had the rollers, it worked very well.

2014-11-18 12:36 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Originally posted by axteraa

Nice work.  Did you post about that original frame a few years ago?  I actually built something very (very) similar and I think it was based off of what you posted.  I used it all the time when I had the rollers, it worked very well.

Yup. I got tired of trying to straddle the Empire State Building from the floor so I changed ground level

2014-11-18 2:11 PM

User image

Why do you use the 2x4 ? I haven't heard of that before, dents in the wheel. Is it specific to the trainer you're using in that pic. That's an impressive set up you have there.
2014-11-18 3:11 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

Why do you use the 2x4 ? I haven't heard of that before, dents in the wheel. Is it specific to the trainer you're using in that pic. That's an impressive set up you have there.

Not specific to mine. When you leave a bike set up on a trainer, the rear tire is dented. If you don't get back to that bike for a while you end up with a hop where the dent was. It might be ignorable or it might drive you nuts. It drove me nuts so I don't leave bikes on rollers or connected to a trainer or with the wheel resting on something that has a shallow radius any more. I just drop a 2X4 over the rollers or on the ground in front of the trainer so the rear wheel is on a level ground type thing rather than a roller or a trainer flywheel.

(edit) Oh, disconnect the rear wheel from the trainer first. If you look closely it's not attached to the trainer on either of those trainer pics.

Edited by DanielG 2014-11-18 3:13 PM
2014-11-18 3:42 PM

User image

That's interesting, didn't know - thanksI don't think I've ever left my bike on the trainer. I guess that's a pro of not enough room to keep it set up. The few times I have I just disengaged the wheel. My trainer tire definitely has a flat spot which is annoying at times.

2014-11-18 4:24 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by DanielG

Originally posted by axteraa

Yup. I got tired of trying to straddle the Empire State Building from the floor so I changed ground level

Nice job
2014-11-18 8:55 PM
in reply to: AdventureBear

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
perhaps its completely unwarranted but I would be concerned about the stress on the forks or head tube when using the fork stand. I do like the rollers though,
2014-11-19 3:08 AM
in reply to: DaveL

User image

Originally posted by DaveL

perhaps its completely unwarranted but I would be concerned about the stress on the forks or head tube when using the fork stand. I do like the rollers though,

Then don't buy one.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rollers Platform Build (warning lots of pics) Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

running lots- how much is lots?

Started by chayes
Views: 1324 Posts: 15

2011-11-28 2:29 PM Scout7

Replacement rollers for Cycleops bike rollers?

Started by AHare
Views: 1190 Posts: 2

2011-10-12 6:53 PM axteraa

"Warning will Robinson, warning," stupid question inside this post

Started by frm-fat-2<fat
Views: 763 Posts: 5

2011-10-11 5:12 PM pga_mike

Built my own truing stand!!! Pics included

Started by mscotthall
Views: 904 Posts: 5

2009-08-28 2:42 PM Rudedog55

bike lots = win, swim lots = ?? Pages: 1 2

Started by danCC
Views: 2707 Posts: 30

2007-05-28 5:48 PM Focker out!
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 16, 2014
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I ended up in the ER in the middle of the night due to unbearable foot pain which they think is PF since the x-rays came back negative. I'm wondering if I missed some warning signs?

date : December 3, 2008
author : dexter
comments : 15
What are rollers? How can rollers help your bike training? Learn how to use your first set of rollers without doing too much bodily harm to yourself.
date : April 14, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
A few years ago, I was diagnosed with two lumbar herniated discs (L1-L2). I have started a very slow build towards my first tri. Are there any recommendations or warnings I should heed?