General Discussion Triathlon Talk » new to WA Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-11-18 1:31 PM

User image

Elite
Subject: new to WA
Hello all,

I recently moved from South Carolina to Washington, attending WSU. I've been away from triathlon and BT for a while, but with Coeur d'Alene so close its hard not to think about Ironman.

Hows the tri scene in eastern Wash? Any races besides CdA that are a "must do"?

2014-11-18 4:58 PM
in reply to: steveseer

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: RE: new to WA

There are some good races on the East side.  I've greatly enjoyed Moses Lake Tri in June which is a good early season Olympic/sprint event.  Also, Boise isn't too far away if you want to do a great 70.3.  You have to cross your fingers on the weather but it is a great venue.  I know there are other races over there but these are what I've experienced.

There are also a number of races that friends have done in Eastern British Columbia that come very high recommended. 

2014-11-18 7:44 PM
in reply to: popsracer

Master
, California

WSU is pretty remote on the far eastern side of Washington, so the Idaho races are more convenient distance.  Coeur d'Alene is your nearest race, probably followed by Boise.

Chelanman is about 4 hours from WSU.

Also some Canadian races are still within a fair driving range.  Challenge Penticton is about 5 and a half hours.  Cultus Lake (half-IM) is about 7 hours and Ironman Whistler is about 8 hours.

There are a lot of options for shorter race distances if you search for them.  The toughest thing up here in Washington is the lack of daylight during winter.  You need to get comfortable with biking on the indoor trainer and running on a treadmill or with a headlamp.  This is especially true if you're training for an early season race like Coeur d'Alene.

2014-11-19 11:53 AM

User image

WSU has a Tri Club. Check them out on Facebook. I live in Kennewick, Wa which is just 2 hours from Pullman. We have a great triathlon/ running/ cycling group here. If you go on the site 3RRR.org, you'll find a variety of fun runs and a triathlon race series. The Tri series starts sometime in April. Let me know if you have any questions, feel free to ask. GO COUGS!!!
2014-11-20 5:27 PM
in reply to: mjbinky

User image

Elite
Originally posted by mjbinky

WSU has a Tri Club. Check them out on Facebook. I live in Kennewick, Wa which is just 2 hours from Pullman. We have a great triathlon/ running/ cycling group here. If you go on the site 3RRR.org, you'll find a variety of fun runs and a triathlon race series. The Tri series starts sometime in April. Let me know if you have any questions, feel free to ask. GO COUGS!!!

A couple months ago I "found" the tri club on the WSU rec center website and sent them an email but never got a reply. Didn't know they had a facebook page, I'll check it out. Thanks!
2014-11-25 4:34 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

Originally posted by steveseer
Originally posted by mjbinky WSU has a Tri Club. Check them out on Facebook. I live in Kennewick, Wa which is just 2 hours from Pullman. We have a great triathlon/ running/ cycling group here. If you go on the site 3RRR.org, you'll find a variety of fun runs and a triathlon race series. The Tri series starts sometime in April. Let me know if you have any questions, feel free to ask. GO COUGS!!!
A couple months ago I "found" the tri club on the WSU rec center website and sent them an email but never got a reply. Didn't know they had a facebook page, I'll check it out. Thanks!

Troika is also pretty well-known!

2014-11-30 10:35 PM

User image

Regular
Welcome to WA. I'm in the Tri-cities, a couple of hours away from Pullman. 3 Rivers Road Runners (3rrr.org) put on a few shorter events in the area like someone said previously. There's also Onionman in Walla Walla.
2015-01-04 5:23 PM
in reply to: eurasn1

User image

There are plenty of races in the area and the Palouse is a great place to train. Coeur d Alene also has an OLY and a sprint as well. hayden lake has a good sprint. Priest Lake has an OLY that is very cool. Moses Lake has a couple races that are worthwhile too.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » new to WA Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Where to live in WA?

Started by famelec
Views: 1637 Posts: 10

2008-04-09 2:25 PM famelec

anyone still swimming outside in Eastern WA?

Started by c_cic
Views: 1160 Posts: 1

2006-10-09 11:46 AM c_cic

Black Diamond Tri - Seattle, WA

Started by jmeyers
Views: 1499 Posts: 5

2005-09-25 5:15 PM magic

Seafair Triathlon 7/17 -- Seattle, WA Pages: 1 2

Started by eviltangerine
Views: 3723 Posts: 40

2005-07-19 9:16 AM eviltangerine

Tacoma WA or Kitsap County WA?

Started by piggpen35
Views: 1167 Posts: 4

2006-05-30 11:17 PM Swimmer3
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.

date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.
date : November 14, 2004
author : Akuma
I am 28 now, hardly an old crony, but life in busy Sydney Australia has meant my belly is softer than the excuses I use to convince myself I am in good shape.

date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
New Years Resolutions that Last - How to make them and keep them
author : anchorage84
It’s just so discouraging to know that within a few more weeks those New Years’ Resolutionists are going to quietly disappear.

author : Daniel Clout
Stay focused on your dreams and stand up for your rights!
My expectations for the quality of this years’ Triathlon world championship were fulfilled. This was because of the superb location that is like no other along with having the top triathletes present.

There is a marvelous destiny out there waiting for you too, but only if you are willing to take chances and put yourself on the line.