General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help me figure this out - Powertap or Fluid 2 problem Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-11-19 11:39 AM

User image

Oakville
Subject: Help me figure this out - Powertap or Fluid 2 problem

Background - about a month ago I picked up a really cheap power meter (Powertap +) and posted a question on BT about low power readings.  As compared to virtual power on Golden Cheetah, the Powertap readings were about 70 watts lower than the virtual power (based on Fluid 2 power curve on Golden Cheetah). 

Also, a few months ago my Fluid 2 had a leak and Cycleops sent me a replacement flywheel/impeller.  I've used the new unit a few times, but nothing really too structured. 

I'm starting to ramp up my offseason training and did a workout last night using virtual power on Golden Cheetah, but also monitored the Powertap using my Garmin.  The workout started with a 10 minute warm up at 155 watts and then 6 x 3.5 minutes at 245 watts with 1.5 minutes at 155 watts and then a 5 minute cool down at 155 watts. 

For the initial 10 minute warm-up and the first 3.5 minute threshold session, the Powertap was showing about 70 watts lower than virtual power.

BUT, as the workout progressed the wattage gap started to get smaller and by the 5th and 6th sessions, the Powertap was showing about 260 to 265 watts, 15 to 20 watts higher than virtual power. 

For prior workouts on the replacement Fluid 2, I did notice that the later efforts felt harder, but I just assumed that this was due to fatigue and the fact that I wasn't in race shape.

So maybe the Powertap is working fine but the resistance of the Fluid 2 is getting progressively higher throughout a workout?  I've never heard of this before.  In fact, I've read that it was supposed to get slightly easier as the oil in the unit heats up.

Anyone experience anything like this?

I guess its also possible that the Powertap is malfunctioning and that it was showing progressively higher readings for some reason.

I'd do an outdoor road test, but its currently -5 Celsuis in Southern Ontario and I'm a wimp when it comes to cold weather riding

2014-11-19 11:57 AM
in reply to: Scott71

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: Help me figure this out - Powertap or Fluid 2 problem

Am I understanding correctly that at the beginning when GC was saying 245 watts, your PT was saying 175 watts but by the end of the workout GC was saying 245 watts but the PT was saying 260-265 watts?

If so, your effort level should tell you which was correct.  There is a huge difference in effort required to put out 175 vs 265 watts.  For me, that's about the difference between Ironman effort and Sprint effort.

2014-11-19 12:09 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
, California

The Fluid2 resistance definitely jumps up after it gets warm.  Not a smooth curve across the entire workout though.  I usually notice it suddenly get harder after about 5-10 minutes of moderate spinning.  The virtual power probably assumes the unit is already warm.

Also if you read some of the notes from the TrainerRoad guys, the Fluid2 is notoriously inconsistent when trying to determine a virtual power curve:

http://blog.trainerroad.com/an-update-on-virtualpower-for-the-cycleops-fluid-2/

I would probably trust the powertap over virtual power, unless you have reason to believe the powertap is damaged.

Edited by spudone 2014-11-19 12:18 PM
2014-11-19 12:17 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Oakville

Originally posted by axteraa

Am I understanding correctly that at the beginning when GC was saying 245 watts, your PT was saying 175 watts but by the end of the workout GC was saying 245 watts but the PT was saying 260-265 watts?

If so, your effort level should tell you which was correct.  There is a huge difference in effort required to put out 175 vs 265 watts.  For me, that's about the difference between Ironman effort and Sprint effort.

That is exactly what was happening, I just have never heard of anyone complaining about this problem with the Fluid 2 or any fluid trainer for that matter.  I would have thought that after the 10 minute warmup, the Fluid 2 power curve would have stabilized for the rest of the workout.

At first I figured my endurance was shot after taking a post-season break, but you're right that is a significant wattage gap.

Customer service at Cycleops was excellent the last time I called them, so I'll try them again and see if anyone else has complained of this. 

2014-11-19 12:45 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Oakville

Thanks Spudone.  It definitely took longer that 5 to 10 minutes for the resistance to stabilize last night.

I'm going to try the same workout again but hold power using the readings from the Powertap this time.  The harder effort might speed up the "warm up" period.  

2014-11-19 12:57 PM

Master
, California

Originally posted by Scott71

Thanks Spudone.  It definitely took longer that 5 to 10 minutes for the resistance to stabilize last night.

I'm going to try the same workout again but hold power using the readings from the Powertap this time.  The harder effort might speed up the "warm up" period.  

Yes that's absolutely true.  I usually have to shift to an easier gear after the warmup if I want to maintain the same power and cadence.

The warmup time can vary depending on the type of tire you have and how hard you're riding.

2014-11-19 12:58 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Originally posted by spudone

The Fluid2 resistance definitely jumps up after it gets warm.  Not a smooth curve across the entire workout though.  I usually notice it suddenly get harder after about 5-10 minutes of moderate spinning.  The virtual power probably assumes the unit is already warm.

This is also my experience with fluid trainers.  It takes a while for the resistance to kick in as the fluid warms up.

2014-11-19 1:34 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

This thread made me a bit curious.  My wife has a Fluid2 and a Powertap and her most recent workout had the following intervals

Power - Speed (km/hr)
175w - 32.4 (this started at the 10 min mark)
203w - 32.2 (this started at the 20 min mark)
202w - 30.3
205w - 29.9
207w - 29.5
206w - 29.2

It definitely seems that that resistance goes up and continues to go up as the workout goes on.

2014-11-19 2:30 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by axteraa

This thread made me a bit curious.  My wife has a Fluid2 and a Powertap and her most recent workout had the following intervals

Power - Speed (km/hr)
175w - 32.4 (this started at the 10 min mark)
203w - 32.2 (this started at the 20 min mark)
202w - 30.3
205w - 29.9
207w - 29.5
206w - 29.2

It definitely seems that that resistance goes up and continues to go up as the workout goes on.

fyi, I use a computrainer. As the tire warms up you calibrate and you get calibration numbers. Based on these numbers, there is a 35-40 watts difference in about 12 minutes. This is mostly the tire warming up. It will continue to vary slightly after 12 min but the bulk of it occurs within 12 minutes.

Scott, maybe a solution is a stomp test with the powermeter ?

2014-11-19 3:00 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Oakville

Scott, maybe a solution is a stomp test with the powermeter ?

I did try a stomp test shortly after I bought the PM and the number wasn't too far off, about a 5% margin of error, but the PM was so much lower than the wattage on Golden Cheetah that I was convinced it was the problem.

BUT I only used a 10 pound weight and have since read that heavier is better and should be at least 50 pounds.

I'll give it a try again using my body weight and see how close it is.

2014-11-19 3:11 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
also do it cold and warm.

I would not use your body weight. I think it gives innaccurate numbers. Tom A on ST is a real expert on this stuff

If possible find a nice size weight, bring it to the post office and have it weighed accurately with whatever you are using to hold it on.

Edited by marcag 2014-11-19 3:12 PM

2014-11-19 3:14 PM

Arden, North Carolina
I think this is a fluid 2 problem. I went through this exact same issue. Now I didn't have a power meter to confirm it, but i had that same issue where 30 minutes in it seemed to get a lot harder to push. I mentioned this on here and the overwhelming response was that it was fatigue. Which didn't make sense given how much harder it became, and how suddenly I felt it. For instance, early in the workout I could easily push over 300-350 watts(virtual). Towards the end even if i gave it everything I had for a couple seconds I could barely reach the upper 280's.

Finally months later i looked into it again and discovered people saying that the resistance increases a lot as the fluid warms up in the trainer.

This off season I moved my bike out of the freezing part of my basement into the section with better heating. And the problem isn't nearly as bad. I notice it ever so slightly, but probably more that it's simply fatigue. Since the fluiid isn't going from 40's to whatever it becomes after heated, it's starting at 70, so the easy resistance is never there.

Is the room in which your riding very cold?
2014-11-19 4:04 PM

User image

Master
Solution...since you have a powermeter, quit using virtual power?
2014-11-19 5:16 PM

User image

Master
I know it sounds neerdy but I have a wired powertap and use virtual power with a GSC-10 on Golden Cheetah on my Cycle-ops 2 Fluid trainer. Last year I had impressive virtual power numbers but miserable powertap numbers. I thought it was my powertap going bad and I was about to send it back for recalibration/replacement but decided to try a wireless PT. It turned out the problem was the resistance unit. I had the resistance unit replaced and the virtual and wired reading are almost identical after a short warm-up. The resistance definitely goes up once the unit warms up, but after that is seems to be pretty stable.
2014-11-19 10:23 PM
in reply to: trisuppo

User image

Extreme Veteran
Issaquah
Originally posted by trisuppo

Solution...since you have a powermeter, quit using virtual power?

This. Virtual power is going to vary based on so many things. Tire pressure, temp, contact with the unit etc. If you have a power meter I'm not sure why you'd bother trying to correlate that to virtual power.
2014-11-20 3:12 AM
in reply to: cnsegura

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by cnsegura
Originally posted by trisuppo Solution...since you have a powermeter, quit using virtual power?
This. Virtual power is going to vary based on so many things. Tire pressure, temp, contact with the unit etc. If you have a power meter I'm not sure why you'd bother trying to correlate that to virtual power.

He's trying to determine if his power meter (which he bought used) is giving him valid data.

2014-11-20 4:49 AM

Originally posted by Scott71

Background - about a month ago I picked up a really cheap power meter (Powertap +) and posted a question on BT about low power readings.  As compared to virtual power on Golden Cheetah, the Powertap readings were about 70 watts lower than the virtual power (based on Fluid 2 power curve on Golden Cheetah). 

Also, a few months ago my Fluid 2 had a leak and Cycleops sent me a replacement flywheel/impeller.  I've used the new unit a few times, but nothing really too structured. 

I'm starting to ramp up my offseason training and did a workout last night using virtual power on Golden Cheetah, but also monitored the Powertap using my Garmin.  The workout started with a 10 minute warm up at 155 watts and then 6 x 3.5 minutes at 245 watts with 1.5 minutes at 155 watts and then a 5 minute cool down at 155 watts. 

For the initial 10 minute warm-up and the first 3.5 minute threshold session, the Powertap was showing about 70 watts lower than virtual power.

BUT, as the workout progressed the wattage gap started to get smaller and by the 5th and 6th sessions, the Powertap was showing about 260 to 265 watts, 15 to 20 watts higher than virtual power. 

For prior workouts on the replacement Fluid 2, I did notice that the later efforts felt harder, but I just assumed that this was due to fatigue and the fact that I wasn't in race shape.

So maybe the Powertap is working fine but the resistance of the Fluid 2 is getting progressively higher throughout a workout?  I've never heard of this before.  In fact, I've read that it was supposed to get slightly easier as the oil in the unit heats up.

Anyone experience anything like this?

I guess its also possible that the Powertap is malfunctioning and that it was showing progressively higher readings for some reason.

I'd do an outdoor road test, but its currently -5 Celsuis in Southern Ontario and I'm a wimp when it comes to cold weather riding

Hi Scott

This is a problem with the limitations of virtual power. Virtual power is just an estimated power, based on speed. Speed on a trainer is such a flawed metric, as it is dependent on so many things, such as temperature, tyre pressure, weight etc.

The Fluid 2 trainer is know for increasing its resistance as the unit warms up. Increasing resistance essentially means that speed at a given power will decrease (i.e. virtual power will decrease as the unit warms up, given a fixed 'real' power output.

I can give you an example of a recovery ride I did not long ago, using the Fluid 2 and a powertap.

Here is my power output. Notice for the first half an hour, my power remains reasonably constant (in fact if anything its rising slightly over time)
http://i.imgur.com/eopuyfj.jpg

Now look at my speed for the same workout (and hence virtual power): its decreasing over time (even though actual power is rising). This is due to the Fluid 2 resistance increasing over time as the unit heats up.
http://i.imgur.com/WnGx4ua.jpg

My advice: completely forget about virtual power. Your powertap is fine, use it for all future power analyses.
2014-11-20 5:44 AM

User image

A man with two watches is never quite sure what time it is.

2014-11-20 8:50 AM
in reply to: craigbennison

User image

Oakville

Your powertap is fine, use it for all future power analyses.

Thanks Craig.  When I first bought the Powertap it was such a steal (only $200) that when the power numbers were coming back so far off from virtual power, I assumed that it was defective. I expected a drop of about 30 to 40 watts, but 70 to 80 watts seemed too low to me.

I also assumed (wrongly) that the resistance of the Fluid 2 would stabilize after my usual 5 to 10 minute warmup. 

Based on others experiences above and the two charts you provided, this does not appear to be the case and resistance seems to keep getting harder 30 to 40 minutes into a workout.  I think you're right and the Powertap is likely working fine.

The drop in my FTP is a bit of a hit to the ego, but at least I'll be working with real numbers now and not the inconsistent and unreliable wattage that it looks like I was getting from virtual power.

2014-11-20 9:14 AM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
Have you seen this?

http://www.cyclepowermeters.com/powertap-garmin-calibration-check-7...

You could try it cold and warm to see what your PM is doing...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help me figure this out - Powertap or Fluid 2 problem Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Powertap G3 problem

Started by djmtrier
Views: 1397 Posts: 3

2014-10-09 11:46 AM RockTractor

Help me figure out my OWS problem...

Started by The Chupacabra
Views: 1209 Posts: 13

2013-07-22 11:33 AM siouxcityhawk

Help me figure out a new pre-race/long training day breakfast mix

Started by JonCT
Views: 889 Posts: 7