General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Indoor track or treadmill? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-11-19 1:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
Subject: Indoor track or treadmill?

First off not looking for any advice here - I do both because I'm a wimp when it comes to Northern Wisconsin winters and do most of my runs inside.

Which do you all prefer?  I am lucky and have access to a treadmill (my gym & the university where I work) and a 200m indoor track (also at the university).  I think they both have there advantages.  It's also good to mix it up to help prolong that boredom.  The indoor track is in multi-activity center so there is always people watching to do, which can be good sometimes.

2014-11-19 1:09 PM
in reply to: Justin86

New user

Central Mississippi
Subject: RE: Indoor track or treadmill?
Living in central Mississippi, running outside is usually not a problem. I ran in 22º temp this morning. I prefer the treadmill if I have to run inside. Our gym has a 1/10 mile indoor track and after several laps my outside knee starts to hurt due to the repeated turns the same direction.
2014-11-19 1:12 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Justin86

First off not looking for any advice here - I do both because I'm a wimp when it comes to Northern Wisconsin winters and do most of my runs inside.

Which do you all prefer?  I am lucky and have access to a treadmill (my gym & the university where I work) and a 200m indoor track (also at the university).  I think they both have there advantages.  It's also good to mix it up to help prolong that boredom.  The indoor track is in multi-activity center so there is always people watching to do, which can be good sometimes.

I prefer treadmill for a variety of reasons:

Work on leg turnover
Hill reps for strength
Mental challenge
The belt controls how fast I go and I have to stick to that pace or else….

I use a treadmill versus an indoor track

Have one at the private gym I work at
Have one at my apartment
Don't have access to an indoor track
2014-11-19 1:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
I have done both. When I was in school I ran around the indoor track with my longest run being 10miles. The benefit to the track I found was that it was the most like running outside, the down side is running in circles and the potential stress of doing that. I currently run on my treadmill in my basement which is nice because its super convenient and I watch videos on a projector. The down side is that it doesnt offer the variety of running outside. I suppose I prefer the treadmill as it give me my TV fix but would always rather run through the woods.

2014-11-19 1:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Issaquah
I am almost exclusively an outdoor runner, but if I had to use only these two options I would do any/all runs >30m on the track and anything 30m or shorter on the treadmill. I can't stand treadmills for very long, but I'm not sure exclusively running in circles is a great idea either. With my current schedule this would give me 30% of my time on the treadmill and 70% on the track.
2014-11-19 1:31 PM

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
I used to have the option of a 1/8th mile track or the treadmill. The winters were never so bad that I couldn't do long runs outside. The only time I had to run indoors were for speed work. I almost always took the track.
Occasionally, there was a mob of people on the track. Again, since I was doing speed work, zig-zag was no fun. Even then, most people figured it out and started staying on the inner lanes. Only when it was too crowded or people were too ignorant (walking 4 abreast across 3 of the lanes) did I switch to the treadmill.
Most gyms will switch the track direction regularly. Depending on how many corners you are running, there is a possibility of getting some weird over-use imbalances from side to side. As long as you don't keep the same schedule as the direction changes, don't worry about it.

2014-11-19 1:35 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
This is like asking if you'd rather be punched in the face or kicked in the gut. Either is miserable in my book.

I suppose id choose the track because like you said, you can people watch and there's stuff to look at.
2014-11-19 1:35 PM
in reply to: dfroelich

User image

Regular
Georgetown, KY
Too many tight turns wears out my shins. I hate both for their own reasons. lol. I bundle up and run outside.
2014-11-19 1:39 PM
in reply to: Bradleykd

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin

I actually prefer the treadmill for longer runs, and the indoor track for shorter.  I also find that there is stress that is put on the knee while running on it.  Lucky though they switch running directions each day so you wear out your knees evenly!  Just like rotating tires.

I like long runs on the treadmill >10 miles because of the mental endurance.  Put in some headphones.  Set that timer to 99 minutes and have at it.

2014-11-19 1:42 PM
in reply to: Bradleykd

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
For the most part I Run outside thru pretty much everything but if its totally unbearable or too icey then I use a 200M indoor track as Option #2 and then the TM as option #3 depending on which one is the most convenient at the time.
2014-11-19 1:57 PM
in reply to: RRH_88

User image

The only indoor track around here is at the Richmond Oval, and since I don't have a monthly membership it would cost about $15 for a drop-in, I think. So I have never gone. I have a gym at work and a private gym that I belong to where I use treadmills a lot in the bad weather. We don't get much snow or harsh winter weather here, but it does often get unpleasantly cold and rainy. So I can run outside most of the winter, but I will often choose to run inside.

I think I would like the variety of using both the track and the treadmill if I had the option, but I would also worry about too many tight turns on the track. I do enjoy using the treadmill.

2014-11-19 2:06 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

I actually prefer the treadmill for longer runs, and the indoor track for shorter.  I also find that there is stress that is put on the knee while running on it.  Lucky though they switch running directions each day so you wear out your knees evenly!  Just like rotating tires.

I like long runs on the treadmill >10 miles because of the mental endurance.  Put in some headphones.  Set that timer to 99 minutes and have at it.

I think you have it exactly backwards.  If you have a GOOD treadmill and someone who can show you how to get the most out of it with intervals and incline you can get some smoking workouts and build some serious speed on it.  All those turns on an indoor track really aren't very good for your legs if you are doing any kind of fast work.

If you can, run on a treadmill with a mirror in front of you and pay attention to what happens to your feet/form as you run out of your comfort zone...... you'll likely be surprised at what you see and will have plenty to work on.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-11-19 2:08 PM
2014-11-19 4:28 PM

User image

I run outside all winter but if the weather did get bad enough to force me in, I would go for the treadmill. It is much better on your running mechanics.
2014-11-19 5:40 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Only indoor track I've ever ran on was the Pettit Center one blustery 30 degree, windy and raining day. It was a 15 miler and while running that many circles was not the most enjoyable, it was better than slogging it out on the tready. With that said, I've learned to love the tready for hill work and speed work, if necessary. 

2014-11-19 5:52 PM
in reply to: thebigb

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
If I have to run inside it will be on the treadmill. I probably would skip my run and ride on the trainer or swim if my only option was the indoor track.
2014-11-19 9:59 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin

Originally posted by Left Brain

I think you have it exactly backwards.  If you have a GOOD treadmill and someone who can show you how to get the most out of it with intervals and incline you can get some smoking workouts and build some serious speed on it.  All those turns on an indoor track really aren't very good for your legs if you are doing any kind of fast work.

If you can, run on a treadmill with a mirror in front of you and pay attention to what happens to your feet/form as you run out of your comfort zone...... you'll likely be surprised at what you see and will have plenty to work on.

You'd be right, but I don't do much speed work.  When I do it's mostly during the summer.  It's something I should do more of... The treadmills at the gym I go to aren't the best for it.

2014-11-20 12:04 AM
in reply to: #5068640

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
Interestingly I got a treadmill from a relative a month ago who doesn't use it any more and I haven't used it yet hehe I prefer outside running but I'm only in central Iowa so I understand your desire to avoid some harsh days. I do run on my university indoor track when the weather permits and when my running buddy wants to go but in general I can make it outside in Iowa. Bundle up out there folks!
2014-11-20 12:18 PM

User image

New user
Howell, Michigan
I'm lucky enough to have a good treadmill at home and access to a track at the gym. I use the treadmill for intervals and inclines, or when my work schedule doesn't permit me to get to the gym, probably 2/3's of my runs. I use the track when I want to run with someone or run after a strength training session.

LB's comment about running on a treadmill with a mirror is spot-on. It was humbling to see myself run but it has given me a number of things to work on.
2014-11-20 12:29 PM
in reply to: LJonesCPA

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by LJonesCPA

I'm lucky enough to have a good treadmill at home and access to a track at the gym. I use the treadmill for intervals and inclines, or when my work schedule doesn't permit me to get to the gym, probably 2/3's of my runs. I use the track when I want to run with someone or run after a strength training session.

LB's comment about running on a treadmill with a mirror is spot-on. It was humbling to see myself run but it has given me a number of things to work on.

The "Coaches Eye" App is great for this too, Record, and analyze.
2014-11-20 12:48 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Treadmill here. FAR too many people on the track for my comfort at my local Y. I like to position myself so I can people watch all of the track runners, and I have witnessed way too many near-collisions from people not using common sense. They scare me. :p

Edited by lisac957 2014-11-20 12:48 PM
2014-11-20 1:03 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I used to have the best indoor track ever, when the Metrodome (Vikings stadium) was opened up on Tuesday and Thursday nights for running around the concourse.  2.5 laps per mile.  Man, do I miss that.  I don't know if there's any chance they will allow this when the new stadium is built but I hope so.

I finally ordered a treadmill for home, something I have wanted for years.   I hope that not having to go to the gym will make it more palatable.  I like the fact I can use a big fan, watch my own TV, etc.    We'll see!

I also have my own outdoor "track" for the winter.  The place I work does a great job of clearing the sidewalks, so I can run around a .75 mile block with minimal issue when it's snowy/icy elsewhere.   Boring but consistent.,

2014-11-21 7:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

If I need to run really long the outside lane is 453m with wider turns... did lots of 16-18 k runs at the oval when its -30.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Indoor track or treadmill? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Treadmill vs Indoor Track

Started by Sidney Porter
Views: 5507 Posts: 18

2013-03-09 2:55 PM Seabeast

Indoor track or treadmill?

Started by Kido
Views: 1649 Posts: 19

2012-11-02 5:15 PM brigby1

Treadmill vs. Indoor Track

Started by scraver
Views: 2079 Posts: 22

2011-07-22 9:41 PM mmrocker13

Great Fan for use with Indoor Trainer and/or Treadmill

Started by 08M3Sedanski
Views: 2718 Posts: 16

2011-01-05 4:52 PM 08M3Sedanski

Tyson Invitational (indoor track) on the tube this weekend

Started by TH3_FRB
Views: 568 Posts: 1

2007-02-06 11:03 PM TH3_FRB
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 28, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 1
Tired of your bike trainer already? Here are two indoor bike trainer workouts that you can use to keep things interesting while keeping your cycling fitness up.

date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
comments : 0
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.