General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Loss of strength in my hands Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-11-20 7:37 AM

User image

Atlanta, Georgia
Subject: Loss of strength in my hands
Over the last week or so, I have been experiencing a slight numbness & loss of strength in my hands that I feel is progressing. My left hand more than the right, but both are affected. Last night after an hour on the trainer (leaning on the horns most of the ride), my hands were tingling & it was hard to pick up & open a water bottle. At work I have periodically lost dexterity when typing & my hands aren't hitting the keys that my brain is telling them to type.

Has anyone else experienced this through training? A Google search came back with everything from carpel tunnel syndrome to a brain tumor. A search on Slowtwitch came back with HTFU.

I know the real answer is to go see a doctor, and if it continues through next week, I will, but I wanted to see if this is a common issue with triathletes.

2014-11-20 8:12 AM
in reply to: Meathead

User image

Subject: RE: Loss of strength in my hands
1) Go see a doctor that is familiar with cycling.

2) It's probably carpal tunnel or cycling palsy. Probably. Wear gloves with big, thick padding and see if that helps.

http://www.hughston.com/hha/a_15_3_2.htm
2014-11-20 8:15 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I've had carpal tunnel issues in the past and eventually had surgery on my left wrist for it.  My symptoms were a combination of numbness and chronic pain; so much that it would keep me awake at night.

I'm still prone to get some numbness on long bike rides.  That's one of the reasons I'm more comfortable riding on my aerobars so I can take pressure off my wrists.  I've got ski-bend bar extensions which keep my wrists at a more relaxed neutral angle.  I've also got gel-padded bar tape and wear gel-padded gloves on most training rides.  It also helps to change hand positions on a frequent basis.

I'd encourage you to see your doctor and get checked out.

Good luck.

Mark

2014-11-20 9:19 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by Meathead

Over the last week or so, I have been experiencing a slight numbness & loss of strength in my hands that I feel is progressing. My left hand more than the right, but both are affected. Last night after an hour on the trainer (leaning on the horns most of the ride), my hands were tingling & it was hard to pick up & open a water bottle. At work I have periodically lost dexterity when typing & my hands aren't hitting the keys that my brain is telling them to type.

Has anyone else experienced this through training? A Google search came back with everything from carpel tunnel syndrome to a brain tumor. A search on Slowtwitch came back with HTFU.

I know the real answer is to go see a doctor, and if it continues through next week, I will, but I wanted to see if this is a common issue with triathletes.

Don't wait. Call your doctor today. Go to the ER even.
I'm serious...as a coach AND as an ER physician, don't even play with this.

Yes, it's probably related to a cycling palsy...that's the best case scenario. Why play with your health though?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Loss of strength in my hands Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Weight and Strength Loss

Started by privateer
Views: 1048 Posts: 8

2010-05-04 7:18 PM GODAWGS

Strength/weight loss question

Started by osprey
Views: 1059 Posts: 8

2010-02-14 12:33 PM osprey

Is hand loss of mobility/injury tri related?

Started by randomguymike
Views: 2241 Posts: 13

2009-12-17 11:08 AM trifusion

Loss of strength in hand while biking

Started by mdickson68
Views: 876 Posts: 6

2008-09-29 6:01 AM mdickson68

Interesting Experiment - Right Hand v Left Hand Pages: 1 2

Started by jacasa
Views: 2539 Posts: 28

2008-07-29 9:10 AM runningwoof
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 5, 2010
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I've noticed when running that my hands start to swell. I started running with a fuel belt and started sipping water about 15 minutes into my run. It seemed to help for a few runs, but not all.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
This is a video of the fingertip drag drill used for recovery to promote high elbows upon hand entry.
date : June 27, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Questions and answers on wetsuit swimming, cadence, interval time, paddle benefit, hand entry, runners kick drills, bilateral breathing and race breathing.

date : March 19, 2007
author : Team BT
Stability Ball Hand Opposite Knee Crunch abdominal exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : March 7, 2007
Discussions on hand entry, common triathlete training mistakes, the best swim drills, useful swim tools and flip turn help.

date : September 3, 2005
Now we will add in the focus on how you will enter your hands in the water upon recovery, and how to rotate to the next side.
date : February 13, 2005
author : JeremyLikness
comments : 9
Losing fat is not difficult. So why does this continue to be an elusive goal for so many people, who “struggle” just to lose a few inches?

date : November 28, 2004
Work your weakness. In the sport of triathlon, most coaches agree that you should spend the most time working on your weakest of the three sports. For many of you this will be swimming!