General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2015-01-05 9:51 AM
in reply to: TheCuse

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread
This is very true about the heat.

I'm actually busy making sure I have some cool weather bike gear for the summer in the mountains. There isn't really any need for it this far south which means 1. I know nothing about it. 2. It's not available very long in the local stores. So I just picked up some shoe covers which hopefully I'll never need.

2015-01-07 1:07 PM
in reply to: miamiamy

User image

East Syracuse, New York
Originally posted by miamiamy

I'm actually busy making sure I have some cool weather bike gear for the summer in the mountains. There isn't really any need for it this far south which means 1. I know nothing about it. 2. It's not available very long in the local stores. So I just picked up some shoe covers which hopefully I'll never need.

Yeah its not THAT cold up here lol...only thing i would really suggest is something to cut the wind when u come up. Just in case it rains on a training ride...if its kind of cool, you get a shower and then fly down the Keene decent at 45mph it might get a bit chilly lol
2015-01-08 1:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Maine

Is anybody doing a training camp on location in Lake Placid?

I'm training for this race in Miami and we're known for lots of things (cuban coffee, bad drivers) but not for having lots of mountainous terrain. I trained for France on a computrainer so I can prep for the climbing but the descending is a whole different story. I am chicken little on a bike going down the hills.

I'm looking at either the PRS fit camp www.prsfit.com or the Team mossman camp www.teammossman.com. I'm hoping to decide and register before the end of the year to take advantage of the lower pricing.

Just wondering if anybody has heard of these ... know anything about them... wanna join me up there?

Thanks in advance.

Don't know anything specific about the Team Mossman camp but I did want to say doing a camp last year was very beneficial. I went up for a camp with Endurance Nation and the time spent on the course as well as the talks regarding course specific strategy were really helpful when it came to race day.

Those are great prices on the Mossman camp.
2015-01-08 1:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Maine

It doesn't hurt to have an extra layer or two, especially earlier in the year for the training camp.

I picked up a lite bike vest the week before IMLP '14 due to the weather forecast. I was very happy I had it on race day, it poured a several times during the bike segment and having that to block some wind during the Keene descent was worth it.
2015-01-09 7:29 AM
in reply to: cdkayak

User image

East Syracuse, New York
Originally posted by cdkayak

Is anybody doing a training camp on location in Lake Placid?

I'm training for this race in Miami and we're known for lots of things (cuban coffee, bad drivers) but not for having lots of mountainous terrain. I trained for France on a computrainer so I can prep for the climbing but the descending is a whole different story. I am chicken little on a bike going down the hills.

I'm looking at either the PRS fit camp www.prsfit.com or the Team mossman camp www.teammossman.com. I'm hoping to decide and register before the end of the year to take advantage of the lower pricing.

Just wondering if anybody has heard of these ... know anything about them... wanna join me up there?

Thanks in advance.

Don't know anything specific about the Team Mossman camp but I did want to say doing a camp last year was very beneficial. I went up for a camp with Endurance Nation and the time spent on the course as well as the talks regarding course specific strategy were really helpful when it came to race day.

Those are great prices on the Mossman camp.

I just went to their website and that really is a great price...3 nights in a hotel in placid is almost as expensive as their camp. heres a link for anyone
interested http://www.teammossman.com/events_uttc.html
2015-01-09 5:10 PM

User image

So, I thought the Fink program started this week, but week 1 was last week!! Anyways I figured that out last week and I'm now on week 2. The pool was a little tough this week but that's about it.

How's everybody's training going??

If anyone has any pointers for the bike course, I would really appreciate it. I volunteered last summer and saw a good portion of the run course.

Hope your training is going well if you have started!

2015-01-09 8:24 PM
in reply to: JasonD36

User image

East Syracuse, New York
Originally posted by JasonD36

So, I thought the Fink program started this week, but week 1 was last week!! Anyways I figured that out last week and I'm now on week 2. The pool was a little tough this week but that's about it.

How's everybody's training going??

If anyone has any pointers for the bike course, I would really appreciate it. I volunteered last summer and saw a good portion of the run course.

Hope your training is going well if you have started!

Heres the map from IMLP website (incase my link fails) it gives a turn by turn descritions. http://www.ironman.com/~/media/1bad65ab9b694bb5bfd73bf4b83054dd/lak...

I think most people will agree the 2 hills coming out of lke placid before the keene decent and the hills on rt86 after you come out of jay are worse than the infamous "3 bears". Once you go down the keene decent its pretty much flat until you turn on rt86 out of jay, then its a grind all the way back into placid. Couple long steady climbs...and that stretch going through willmington notch near whiteface always seems like a griiiind...slight uphill and seems like the wind is always hitting you in the face there. There arent any HUGE hills but there are some long hard climbs...and they hit you on the back 3rd of both loops. So if you're not a really strong cyclist you really have to save your legs a little for the 2nd time through.
2015-01-09 8:27 PM
in reply to: JasonD36

User image

East Syracuse, New York
my training is going really well...except swimming...i really gotta get off my butt and line up some pool time. I just moved and am out of my comfort zone for pool training.

I think im way ahead of last year as far as cycling and running goes though
2015-01-09 9:00 PM
in reply to: #5079366

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
My buddy Rob from onefortypointsixmedia.com filmed and produced this video of the bike course, along with pointers. Check it out.
http://www.onefortypointsixmedia.com/2014/08/07/ironman-lake-placid...
2015-01-10 11:13 AM

User image

Thanks for the info! I appreciate it.
2015-01-10 11:15 AM
in reply to: cheekymonkeys1

User image

Thanks for the link! Now I have a good sense of what I'm up against!!

2015-01-11 5:00 AM
in reply to: #5081890

User image

New user
It's 5:30 am, dark, and 18 degrees, and I'm going out for my long run. These are the mornings . . . .
2015-01-11 9:10 AM
in reply to: braciole

User image

East Syracuse, New York
Originally posted by braciole

It's 5:30 am, dark, and 18 degrees, and I'm going out for my long run. These are the mornings . . . .

Yep...its "all in" time. " You can't half your way through an ironman"....well most people cant anyway.

Everything we put it into now will make those 5-6 hour training days in may and june payoff
2015-01-11 9:24 AM
in reply to: #5082151

User image

So this was really my first full week back to tri training. 3 swims and thankfully by the third I felt less like I would drown before the hour was up :-)

I feel like the race is right around the corner.

I didn't chose the moss man camp I actually went with PRS. I hope it works out.
2015-01-11 2:54 PM

User image

Thanks for posting that link..I have been on the course and done the race but it was great to watch that while on the treadmill on a cold winter day. The hour flew by...
2015-01-11 4:21 PM

User image

East Syracuse, New York

So this was really my first full week back to tri training. 3 swims and thankfully by the third I felt less like I would drown before the hour was up :-)

I feel like the race is right around the corner.

I didn't chose the moss man camp I actually went with PRS. I hope it works out.

Im sure they're all pretty close amy...it will do you a ton of good! just to be familiar with the course is a huge benefit.

2015-01-11 4:31 PM

User image

East Syracuse, New York
This is a from a guy that was in the lake placid thread in 2012. I think his name was triguy...I've posted it every year since then, and nobody seems touched by it...but I absolutely love it. Brings back so many good memories of a beautiful day in a beautiful place... lake placid is magic to me. I hope we all have a day like this on july 26th

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z42YUjgpW3c
2015-01-12 10:42 AM

User image

Thank you for sharing that video of the course. Super helpful.

2015-01-14 11:34 AM
in reply to: #5082197

User image

New user
I didn't think I'd be doing so, but I'm now going to try to get up to LP before the race, either to work with a camp (if open) or just ride, run and swim over a weekend. I need to see what works for my family and what my coach wants to do, but I'm going to keep that June 26th weekend in mind. I may be up there too. I'll post if/when I commit to something.
2015-01-17 6:18 PM

User image

East Syracuse, New York
Soooo how the training going? Im doing well with the running and cycling still big fat nothing on the swimming. I should really change that or I'll never make it to to T1
2015-01-18 6:21 AM
in reply to: #5083360

User image

New user
Doing well. Got sick this week with a sinus infection but caught it early and so far only took 1 extra day off because of a well timed planned rest day. These bumps in the road are gonna happen. This one worked out ok.

2015-01-18 2:29 PM

User image

East Syracuse, New York
Originally posted by braciole

Doing well. Got sick this week with a sinus infection but caught it early and so far only took 1 extra day off because of a well timed planned rest day. These bumps in the road are gonna happen. This one worked out ok.

Yep its early it wont effect anyhting...even later on I think its better to take a day or 2 off and try to get healthy than it is to force a couple days of crappy training which dont do anything positive and probably just delay getting betterr
2015-01-18 2:32 PM

User image

East Syracuse, New York
finally made it to the pool. swam 1250 just to get a feel for it...it was enough to know my shoulders are not in swimming shape yet lol. A step in the right direction but I really need to figure out a swim strategy...do i just continue to be sufficient and spen minimal time in the pool? Or do i really work at it? Im not sure I'll gain more than a few minutes even if I spend a lot of time on it to be honest.
2015-01-21 8:13 AM

User image

East Syracuse, New York
day 2 in the pool...and i still suck
2015-01-21 8:22 AM
in reply to: #5084539

User image

New user
As someone once told me (or I read somewhere), embrace the suck.

First day back at full gas since I got sick. Had Thursday off, took Friday to rest, did some light workouts and am now back at it.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 9

RELATED POSTS

Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread

Started by bdenehy
Views: 2989 Posts: 7

2014-06-16 1:53 PM k1200rsvt

Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59

Started by BrotherTri
Views: 120720 Posts: 1462

2013-09-24 12:00 PM JMoney

Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 145 146 147 148

Started by Jacklcm
Views: 269473 Posts: 3690

2012-10-08 3:39 PM SEADOCHA

Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 190 191 192 193

Started by Fred D
Views: 378082 Posts: 4809

2010-09-14 1:51 PM TankBoy

Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20

Started by tasr
Views: 45607 Posts: 481

2009-08-05 6:13 PM PennState
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 12, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
I have Bontrager Race Lite wheels. I was looking into renting Zipp 303's or 404's for race day for Ironman Lake Placid. What time will I save?

date : September 24, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
I am running Boston in April and Ironman Lake Placid is in July. I have been told that it is ambitious to think about doing an IM so close to a marathon due to the recovery time. Any suggestions?
date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
comments : 0
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?

date : July 30, 2006
author : mhan22
If you are calm while everyone around you is losing it, you probably don’t know what the hell is going on.
date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw: