General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2015-04-06 7:35 AM
in reply to: TheCuse

User image

East Syracuse, New York
Subject: RE: Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread
I got outside running for the 1st time since december. It was still cold and flurries but was nice to get outside and off the dreadmill. I was running along a river and saw some seagulls riding a chunk of ice...looked like syracuse's versions of penguins.

2015-04-06 10:11 AM

User image

That's good to hear. I think I saw that we're 16 weeks away from the race. That seems pretty close. Hope everyone's training is going well.

I have Ironman 70.3 Florida in Haines City this weekend. I feel undertrained and mentally unprepared so we'll see what happens. Eeek!
2015-04-08 5:11 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Long Island, NY
I've been doing 1 loop of lake placid every other weekend on wahoo segments (simulates the course with a wahoo kickr) I'm 190lbs and have been averaging 225np at 17.3 -17.5mph. It takes me on average 3:10 to do 56 miles. Not sure how this will translate onto the real course. Does this sound reasonable to any of the vets? Keep in mind there is no down hills. On segments you have to pedal. Granted it's easier but still need to push.

Edited by Jayabusa 2015-04-08 5:20 AM
2015-04-08 5:40 AM
in reply to: Jayabusa

User image

East Syracuse, New York
Originally posted by Jayabusa

I've been doing 1 loop of lake placid every other weekend on wahoo segments (simulates the course with a wahoo kickr) I'm 190lbs and have been averaging 225np at 17.3 -17.5mph. It takes me on average 3:10 to do 56 miles. Not sure how this will translate onto the real course. Does this sound reasonable to any of the vets? Keep in mind there is no down hills. On segments you have to pedal. Granted it's easier but still need to push.

I have no idea how a simulator will translate to the real course...but it sounds like a great workout, and a great way to train. I think thats the important thing .

I dont train with power but the last time I did placid I did the 1st lap 3:09:xx and the the second 3:14:xx and was thrilled at being fairly consistent for 2 laps.

You're training sounds like its going well and you will do well in return!
2015-04-08 6:53 AM
in reply to: Jayabusa

User image

Veteran
, New York
That sounds about right to me. IMO, the course really isn't as bad as the reputation it has. There is climbing, but Papa Bear is the only tough climb (I don't even notice mama or baby unless I read the markings on the road!), and up Papa you get all kinds of crowd support. The only thing I'd keep in mind is coming through the notch, especially the second time around, the wind tends to pick up and that's what kinda knocks you back a bit. I'm not sure your simulation would take that into account, but that's the only difference I can think of.
2015-04-08 10:39 AM
in reply to: elrasc06

User image

East Syracuse, New York
Originally posted by elrasc06

That sounds about right to me. IMO, the course really isn't as bad as the reputation it has. There is climbing, but Papa Bear is the only tough climb (I don't even notice mama or baby unless I read the markings on the road!), and up Papa you get all kinds of crowd support. The only thing I'd keep in mind is coming through the notch, especially the second time around, the wind tends to pick up and that's what kinda knocks you back a bit. I'm not sure your simulation would take that into account, but that's the only difference I can think of.

that hill coming out of jay is the 1 i like the least...but i agree none of them are horrible.

2015-04-09 1:12 AM
in reply to: #5068793

User image

Long Island, NY
Great info??. thanks everyone. I am glad I'm on track. 90% of us still can't get outside to ride. So I figured alternating placid,quassy then a short ride on weekends is better then nothing. I can't wait to recon placid for real.
2015-04-09 5:14 AM
in reply to: #5106883

User image

Long Island, NY
Sorry. My I pad auto corrected. That post was supposed to read. Great info. Thanks everyone. Like 90% of Us i still can't get outside. So I figured alternating placid and quassy on the weekends is better then nothing. I can't wait to do placid for real.
2015-04-09 6:41 AM

User image

Veteran
, New York
I agree with that. The first time I road the course, after I hit that hill all I could think was "If this hill is barely mentioned, but the bears are named, I don't even want to see how bad they are!". But that hill out of Jay is deceivingly long and much harder than the bears I think.
2015-04-09 8:19 AM
in reply to: #5106890

User image

New user
4:30 a.m. Wake up call today for a hard 3x30 on the trainer (1:55 total). Feeling eyebrow deep in IM training now. I've gotten outside on the bike the past two weekends. Conditions were tough but hey it's not supposed to be easy. Hoping to ride 60+ this weekend, and temps will be around 60 glorious degrees.
2015-04-13 3:33 PM
in reply to: #5106925

User image

Ok so here in the sunshine state I did my warm up 70.3 yesterday in Haines City, Florida. The run was like running on the surface of the sun it was crazy hot.

But I feel like it was a good tune up. Shocker, I feel like I need to do more swimming and running before IMLP.

2015-04-14 7:12 AM
in reply to: miamiamy

User image

East Syracuse, New York
Originally posted by miamiamy

Ok so here in the sunshine state I did my warm up 70.3 yesterday in Haines City, Florida. The run was like running on the surface of the sun it was crazy hot.

But I feel like it was a good tune up. Shocker, I feel like I need to do more swimming and running before IMLP.

"like running on the surface of the sun" lol...nice job on getting a HIM in. Great way to gauge where you are, and even when im in great shape it always scares the crap out of me that a full is twice as long

We just had our 1st nice 2 days this week. I got out on the bike for the 1st time...felt so good. The only downfall for me about getting outside is, I think I push myself harder when Im on the trainer. Hoping this weekend is as nice and I will go ride the syracuse 70.3 course
2015-04-14 8:32 PM
in reply to: #5107772

User image

New user
Very cool that you got to race already this year. My first and only tri this year before LP will be an HIM in early June. I have gotten outside on the bike the last 3 weekends for long rides and hills.
2015-04-16 11:48 AM
in reply to: braciole

User image

East Syracuse, New York
I got in the pool 2x this week...look out biatches here i come!
2015-04-17 10:15 AM
in reply to: braciole

User image

Being able to train and race almost all year is a big advantage of living this far south. On the other hand ... I have no hills so that's the flip side.

This week watching everyone post big workouts while I'm in recovery week has been mentally challenging. I keep saying to myself - trust the plan, trust the plan.
2015-04-17 12:47 PM

User image

East Syracuse, New York

Being able to train and race almost all year is a big advantage of living this far south. On the other hand ... I have no hills so that's the flip side.

This week watching everyone post big workouts while I'm in recovery week has been mentally challenging. I keep saying to myself - trust the plan, trust the plan.

Yeah trust the plan amy ...you'll be fine.

Only thing I can think of to simulate hills might be big gear/low cadence work??

2015-04-20 11:48 AM

User image

yup that's basically what I do. I do hill work on my trainer with the wahoo kickr.
2015-04-20 8:02 PM

User image

East Syracuse, New York

yup that's basically what I do. I do hill work on my trainer with the wahoo kickr.

You'll be fine. Didnt you also say you were going to try to make it up there for a camp?
2015-04-21 10:47 AM

User image

Yes I'll be there at the end of June for a camp.

Somebody somewhere along the way said to me something like - you don't want the first time you see the Keane descent to be on race weekend. I find that I can train for climbs on trainers but the descending in France scared the crap out of me. I literally was praying silently most of the way down the switchbacks. I gave up a lot of time because I was so tentative on the descent there and it's something I've been working on. But I took that to heart and booked a training camp so that I am familiar with the descents.

Also, I'm excited for a long bike ride there before the race. I love to race where I know a bit of the course and so this will be good for me. Also getting a solid wetsuit swim in before the race is also good since it won't be wetsuit weather at all ... not even a little teeny bit between now and race day.

I hope everyone's training is going well.
2015-04-21 12:40 PM

User image

East Syracuse, New York

Yes I'll be there at the end of June for a camp.

Somebody somewhere along the way said to me something like - you don't want the first time you see the Keane descent to be on race weekend. I find that I can train for climbs on trainers but the descending in France scared the crap out of me. I literally was praying silently most of the way down the switchbacks. I gave up a lot of time because I was so tentative on the descent there and it's something I've been working on. But I took that to heart and booked a training camp so that I am familiar with the descents.

Also, I'm excited for a long bike ride there before the race. I love to race where I know a bit of the course and so this will be good for me. Also getting a solid wetsuit swim in before the race is also good since it won't be wetsuit weather at all ... not even a little teeny bit between now and race day.

I hope everyone's training is going well.

Yeah the Keene decent is big...but not so big it has switch backs lol. Its not that bad...especially on race day when the whole lane is closed. Its just like driving, the biggest worry is someone else doing something stupid and it takes you out.

But great idea to see it before race day...makes a BIG difference. Its not fun flying down a hill with no idea whats at the bottom lol.
2015-04-25 10:24 AM

User image

Here's hoping that all the IMLP-ers in training have a great weekend. Started this morning with an 11-mile run. Summer is already here in South Florida, It was hot and humid ... just like running in a swamp is during the summer. Lots of water is on the menu for today and then tomorrow a medium sized brick. That post ride run is tough in the summer as we all know well.

2015-04-29 11:15 AM

User image

East Syracuse, New York
god i hate swimming...can i just wear floaties?
2015-05-04 10:25 AM

User image

82 Days. EEEEK.

Just plugging away at my workouts here in Miami. Hope everyone's training is going well. I haven't really hit any huge volume yet but I know it's coming soon, perhaps very soon.

2015-05-05 8:20 PM

User image

East Syracuse, New York
Im just getting to the point where my legs are tired all the time...like my pace running has dropped by :45/mile. Guess thats ok becuase its gonna be long sloooow run to end the day for me
2015-05-21 4:10 AM
in reply to: #5108171

User image

Long Island, NY
Miles are starting to get up there. Did quassy bike course (56) over the weekend followed by a 30min brick. Then did a 4 hour bike ride on the trainer (intervals) followed by 5 mile brick yesterday. Swimming in-between. Getting tired. Will taper before Quassy. How's everyone's else doing? Getting excited!!!
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 9

RELATED POSTS

Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread

Started by bdenehy
Views: 2990 Posts: 7

2014-06-16 1:53 PM k1200rsvt

Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59

Started by BrotherTri
Views: 120723 Posts: 1462

2013-09-24 12:00 PM JMoney

Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 145 146 147 148

Started by Jacklcm
Views: 269474 Posts: 3690

2012-10-08 3:39 PM SEADOCHA

Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 190 191 192 193

Started by Fred D
Views: 378084 Posts: 4809

2010-09-14 1:51 PM TankBoy

Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20

Started by tasr
Views: 45613 Posts: 481

2009-08-05 6:13 PM PennState
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 12, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
I have Bontrager Race Lite wheels. I was looking into renting Zipp 303's or 404's for race day for Ironman Lake Placid. What time will I save?

date : September 24, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
I am running Boston in April and Ironman Lake Placid is in July. I have been told that it is ambitious to think about doing an IM so close to a marathon due to the recovery time. Any suggestions?
date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
comments : 0
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?

date : July 30, 2006
author : mhan22
If you are calm while everyone around you is losing it, you probably don’t know what the hell is going on.
date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw: