Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-11-21 8:02 AM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
Subject: RE: winter running clothing
AS for Shoes I use a NB 910 trail Gore-Tex Lined trail shoe for rough trail running in the winter and Solomon Gore-Tex lined shoe when the conditions are not as rough sidewalks smooth packed trail, Almost any good trail shoe with some good marino wool socks will work great if its cold and dry, the Gore-Tex lined shoes are handy when it get wet and sloppy as they do keep the water out but they can get a bit warm.

2014-11-21 8:32 AM
in reply to: woosh

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

You ask a number of questions.  

I run year round and did so in Illinois and Utah so there were times it was cold and/or snowy or icy.  

The temperature range you give is pretty broad.  

At 30F, I'd probably wear a single layer.  Long sleeve tech-shirt, tights or nylon wind pants, knit gloves, and possibly a ball cap.  

At 10F, I'd wear multiple layers.  Running glove-mitts, a long-sleeve tee with another shell, heavier running pants or tights under wind pants, a knit hat, and a neck gaiter.  I try to wear socks that prevent bare skin showing in these temps.  

It also depends how hard I'm working and what other weather factors are significant.  Running up the mountain, you're either working very hard and risk overheating, or throttling back the effort.  Your effort running back down will be lower (and possibly into the wind).  If you are soaked from the effort running up, you'll be very (dangerously) cold coming down.  

Much of my gear is no-name stuff I picked up on clearance and at end-of-seasons.  

If I were prepping for this run, I'd probably start with a single layer (long sleeve tee & tights) and make provisions to carry a pair of nylon wind pants, shell, heavier gloves, and the knit hat.  I don't want to start out running in the heavy gloves and knit hat and saturate them.  

I'd also protect my face with vasoline, wear sunglasses, and carry lip balm.  

As for shoes, I'll often wear "trail shoes" to run in snow.  (My "trail shoes" are usually grey/black versions of road shoes with a little more tread, not highly technical trail shoes.)  

After running, get into dry clothes immediately.  Once you've showered, use some lotion all over because the cold, dry, air is hard on your skin.  

2014-11-21 10:59 AM
in reply to: McFuzz

Originally posted by McFuzz
  •  Once you've showered, use some lotion all over because the cold, dry, air is hard on your skin.  

Not too scared for you since you already do hiking and your temperatures are not terribly cold. However McFuzz's remark about cold air being dry should also affect how you run. You will not run as fast with dry cold air coming through you lungs then with humid air. Unless you want to end up coughing for a few days...

I would assume your side of the mountains is akin to desert and somewhat dry...
    2014-11-21 12:40 PM
    in reply to: Antoine tri

User image

Los Angeles, California
    wow, that was a lot of info! I think I got a pretty good idea about the whole thing (as good as I can get without actually doing it). cwx tights and new balance 910 are on the way, reasonable analogs of everything else I think I can dig up in my mountaineering pile

thanks for being awesome!
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » winter running clothing Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

what socks do you wear during winter running(Canadian winter) :) Pages: 1 2

Started by jamiemutton1
    Views: 7120 Posts: 31

2014-02-09 12:20 PM Macguyverguy

Winter Running Clothes

Started by 15step
    Views: 2814 Posts: 22

2010-09-21 12:38 PM davidschmaus

How to search online for winter weather running clothes

Started by maxmansmom
    Views: 957 Posts: 6

2008-12-17 2:12 PM maxmansmom

winter cycling clothes

Started by trish123
    Views: 622 Posts: 5

2005-03-23 12:45 PM B-One

Best winter cycling clothes?

Started by Bigpikle
    Views: 640 Posts: 6

2004-09-14 8:02 AM Bigpikle
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : December 22, 2011
    author : Nancy Clark
    comments : 0
    Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.

date : December 1, 2011
    author : alicefoeller
    Triathletes weigh in on making the most of winter training
    date : January 27, 2011
    author : Mark Sunderland
    The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!

date : February 4, 2009
    author : Coach AJ
    Coach AJ discusses the essential clothing used to keep your legs and feet warm while cycling or running in the cold weather.
    date : January 30, 2005
    author : Glenn
    Many of us do not enjoy the ‘pleasures’ of training on a stationery trainer. “Boring”, ”mind-numbing”, “a drag” are three phrases often associated with indoor trainers.

date : November 14, 2004
    author : Andrea
    I'm on the other side of the college-student desk. I'm the one with the red pen in my hand. Those of us with schedules that change from day to day actually have an advantage, I think.
    date : October 31, 2004
    author : tmwelshy
    To prevent a mental breakdown before you even get to the starting line, use the winter months to set goals, build your base, vary your workouts, cut back on training and throw in some variety.

date : September 10, 2004
    author : steve
    Well its the middle of winter and there is 5 inches of snow on the ground and I am too cheap to buy a gym membership and take spinning classes, so what do I do?