General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Did Yoga Work For You? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-11-21 2:24 PM

User image

Conroe, Texas
Subject: Did Yoga Work For You?
Last night I attended my first Yoga class at the local YMCA and I'm undecided to whether it is something I'm going to continue to do or not. I definitely need help in becoming more flexible as I start to get older and I know Yoga can do it if I apply myself properly but I'm just not sure its for me.

Let me paint the picture. 10 people in the class, 1 man and 9 women, one of them was my wife. Imagine if you will, one 6'2" broad shoulder, barrel chested dude standing dead center of a large room surrounded by small petite women. The lights are dimmed, with some sort of enchanted music lightly playing in the background as the instructor seems to be talking in some sort of foreign language as she gets us into the desired poses. The class continues for an hour and I am very pleased with how my body felt as I stretched in ways I never dreamt. At the end of the class the instructor turned off the lights completely and had us lay on our mats with eyes closed for about ten minutes before releasing us. I think I actually fell a sleep for a few minutes.

Overall I liked the class but it seemed I just never got comfortable. Certain aspects of the class I really enjoyed and others seemed a little off putting if you know what I mean.

My question is "Did Yoga work for you?" By that I mean did taking a Yoga class drastically improve your flexibility, or aid in your overall fitness level? I think if I knew there were definite advantages of taking a Yoga class I could make a go of it. But if is something that is going to require a lot of time and effort to reap the benefits I might invest my time in other areas that I feel more comfortable with. Your thoughts?

2014-11-21 3:26 PM
in reply to: sawyer1206

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Did Yoga Work For You?

It's best not to compare yourself to anyone else in yoga class - it's a very individualized practice and everyone comes on the day-of in different places (both mentally and physically). You'll get out of it what you put into it, so if you put little time and effort, you will reap little, and vice versa.

I always suggest yoga newbies seek a truly beginner course at first - one where the instructor starts from the assumption that you know nothing. They will explain the purpose of each pose and what you should be feeling, different ways to adjust, breathing techniques, common terms, equipment used, etc. Literally explaining and defining every single thing you're doing from and educational standpoint. After I completed these types of classes I had such a better understanding of what I was doing and WHY I was doing it - rather than unsuccessfully trying to mimic the expert instructor and then getting frustrated because my body didn't bend that way.

The end pose is called Shavasana, or corpse pose, you can read up on it and it's purpose here.

For me, yoga is a mind/body combination that does indeed "work" for me. 

2014-11-21 3:44 PM
in reply to: 0

My understanding is that there is as many types of yoga as there are instructors. Not all of them seem to have the same objectives. some seem to strengthen more, some seem to stretch more and I am sure there are more.

I did very little but I hated some and loved others.

I could resume my findings to this: the ones with complex postures I hate, the ones with great emphasis on stretching and little on posture I love. I find it very difficult to stretch while holding a pose. I end up working on keeping equilibrium which ends up tensing me up rather then relaxing me. Stretching being my main objective, it kind of defeats the purpose for me.

Also, to me, the spiritual aspect is as important as a rock. I am curious to hear what others answer about your question. I might also like other styles if I try. Until then, you are not alone having mitigated feelings about yoga.

p.s. I like your "mantra"!

Edited by Antoine tri 2014-11-21 3:55 PM
2014-11-21 6:22 PM
in reply to: Antoine tri

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I have attended a few different types of sessions (mainly to support my wife) and have attended a couple weekend "yogafests" (because it had a half marathon attached to it).  None of it appealed to me.  It just was not my kind of thing.  I had hoped to get some flexibility benefit but never did it long enough to ever assess whether I was getting that.  I assume there are other more time efficient ways to do that if I was serious but again just not how I like to spend my limited time.  As far as the spiritual aspect of it, I felt like it was such an integral part of the whole thing that if I didn't get into that part of it and just wanted to focus on the physical attributes I was not a part of the group.  It made me a little uncomfortable.

2014-11-21 6:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Originally posted by sawyer1206
Overall I liked the class but it seemed I just never got comfortable. Certain aspects of the class I really enjoyed and others seemed a little off putting if you know what I mean.

Know exactly what you mean. Just started attending a beginner yoga class and was trying to explain to hubby the good, the bad, the weird, and the I-don't-know-what-I-think. But overall, I think it might be helping. Now that being said, is it helping with my running, my health, or my mental? Not sure but willing to keep going. Encourage you to continue. My class has about 12 people and usually 2 men. Love for men to attend.
2014-11-21 6:50 PM

Yoga works for me.

Stretching and strengthening is my focus.
I do more core focused routines, but there are styles and routines for all from kids to grandmas and yes...even for triathletes.

The ten minutes of "sleep" or savasana is the "cool down" equivalent of yoga.
That is the most boring part for me. I usually do about 15 seconds of savasana, but I practice at home.

Find a style that appeals to your goals.
Try searching yoga sequences for athletes.
It will show both strengthening and stretching poses,

Remember:
You can't "win" at yoga....but watching chicks do yoga feels like winning
Yoga is not a religion.
You don't need need dim lights and sitar music.
You don't need to learn the Sanskrit names of the poses.
It will take some time to learn, but hang in there... laugh when you wobble or fall.
Pay attention to the breath.
Alignment is key.

2014-11-21 7:54 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

My wife is case n+1 when it comes to the benefits of yoga.  10 years ago she couldn't get her hands past the middle of her shin's, today she flexible and powerful.  She credits it with helping her running.  I'd love to try it but my work schedule doesn't line up, she's shown me a few key poses/movements (whatever they are) to do.

2014-11-21 8:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Calgary
Yoga doesn't work for me. I'm freakishly inflexible and I'm okay with that. Physically I feel good in training and otherwise - I seldom feel any aches and pains. And it seems like there's a lot of research indicating that increased flexibility is actually associated with slower running speeds. I see no need to do yoga because I don't enjoy it and as far as I can tell there's nothing broken that I need yoga to fix.

My wife, on the other hand, is a yoga teacher. Yoga has had huge benefits for her and many of her clients.

Edited by donw 2014-11-21 8:11 PM
2014-11-21 8:11 PM
in reply to: Donto

Scottsdale, AZ
I vowed that I would start going to Yoga more. I used to go all the time, but things get in the way and it's usually the first thing to go when the SBR increases.

BUT, now that I'm older, I feel it's something I NEED to do more.

I feel it works not only your physical but mental aspect of thinking as well. Being able to hold poses, concentrate only on you, find your limits and then push beyond and even learn to be quiet can all benefit the triathlon style.

I go to Hot Yoga flow, so I feel it helps with the heat acclimatization of training in the desert during the summer. Regular Bikram classes are good, but I like the variety and music of the other types of Hot yoga. I've tried other non heated classes, but I don't enjoy them as much.

I've got issues with my lower back, and since I've started back again going 1/week, I can really feel the difference.

While I don't think I'll gain huge amounts of flexibility, I'd like to improve the postural muscles that help support my core/back, and several of the poses help with this.

Find a style you like, there are many. I even have some videos that I watch on youtube when I can't get to the studio.
2014-11-21 8:11 PM
in reply to: Donto

Scottsdale, AZ
I vowed that I would start going to Yoga more. I used to go all the time, but things get in the way and it's usually the first thing to go when the SBR increases.

BUT, now that I'm older, I feel it's something I NEED to do more.

I feel it works not only your physical but mental aspect of thinking as well. Being able to hold poses, concentrate only on you, find your limits and then push beyond and even learn to be quiet can all benefit the triathlon style.

I go to Hot Yoga flow, so I feel it helps with the heat acclimatization of training in the desert during the summer. Regular Bikram classes are good, but I like the variety and music of the other types of Hot yoga. I've tried other non heated classes, but I don't enjoy them as much.

I've got issues with my lower back, and since I've started back again going 1/week, I can really feel the difference.

While I don't think I'll gain huge amounts of flexibility, I'd like to improve the postural muscles that help support my core/back, and several of the poses help with this.

Find a style you like, there are many. I even have some videos that I watch on youtube when I can't get to the studio.
2014-11-21 11:04 PM
in reply to: runspingirl

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Have to say that yoga hasn't worked for me. Not blaming yoga itself, I think I just ended up in the wrong kind of class. Last year I signed up for some yoga sessions at my workplace. They were on Friday afternoons after work--that's always been a time off training or at most a light strength workout, before I do my heaviest volume of training on the weekend. I thought it would be nice to mix it up and end the work week with some stretching and relaxation. Didn't realize that the teacher was known for really intense "power yoga" type classes--lots of strength poses and upside down stuff. The latter was really painful as I have chronic sinus issues and being upside down causes a horrible feeling of pressure in my head. To be fair, the teacher let everyone go at our own speeds and didn't force us into aggressive poses, but the class was just too long (90 minutes) and hard--not what I wanted on that day of my training cycle. I ended up quitting, because I was too sore to have a good long run the following day; one strained muscle continued to bother me intermittently for almost a year.

I also didn't really get into the whole spiritual aspect of it--she would talk about centering and purpose, spray various botanical scents (many of which I was allergic to!), etc. It's just me, I guess. I feel much more relaxed and spiritual when I am in motion and training on my own, especially outdoors, than in a room full of sweaty people holding some uncomfortable pose.Maybe because I've been involved in endurance sports from a young age, I really have the ability to lose myself in a workout and get into a "flow" state, even when things are pretty hard. I'm not averse to meditation--I've studied qi gong and find that relaxing--but this particular kind of yoga just wasn't doing it for me. I did learn a few poses that helped with stretching some tight areas, though and continue to do those on my own.

If thinking of starting yoga, I would suggest carefully researching the various kinds, maybe talking with the instructor, and signing up for something that sounds like it will meet your needs.

2014-11-22 2:20 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

I only went to three classes (one of my friends is a yogi) and did a little bit home... I am undecided. I definately liked it but I struggle to get in 3 work outs of each sports + gym time in there as is, so for now it's on the back burner.

I think it's overall a good thing. Increases flexibility but I found more than anything, even after those 3 classes, I felt more aware of my body somehow. *shrug*
2014-11-22 3:53 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
How about attending a beginner's class just enough times to learn the positions and then just do them at home?

Edited by Rollergirl 2014-11-22 3:54 AM
2014-11-22 7:09 AM

, Wisconsin
I've had flexibility and injury issues forever. My wife, who is a Pilates and Water Aerobics instructor at the Y has been after me for years to try Yoga. I finally started a couple of months ago. Long story short, I wish I would have started years ago!

I'm 60 and just got back into Tri earlier this year. Just got back on a road bike in May. I was only comfortable on the bike for maybe a 1/2 hour at first. My neck and back killed me. Building time on the bike and some specific bike stretch and core stuff helped a lot, but I still couldn't stay comfortable for long. Yoga seems to have totally "fixed" that for me.

I've probably gone around 15 times so far, trying to do 2 fifty minute classes a week. At the Y they often rotate instructors and some classes are better than others (for me). I've learned to not try to keep up with anyone else in the class and go pretty easy on myself when it comes to trying new poses etc. Most of the instructors have emphasized staying in a comfortable zone and not doing anything that is painful. I plan on sticking with it . . .

For me, the classes work because they provide a structure and have a comfortable timing etc. I have been doing a little on my own and hope to expand on that. I also think the balance part if going to be very important and helpful.

Last thing: Several of the instructors have emphasized that you should try at least 10-12 classes before making a judgement to continue or not. I think that makes a lot of sense.

Edited by MikeD1 2014-11-22 7:10 AM
2014-11-22 7:22 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

if your goal is improved flexibility, and you indeed felt well stretched after class, i would say it works for you.  your discomfort may be with your particular class/studio.  i LOVE yoga, but have trouble finding studios where the focus is more physical than meditative.  once i find one, i stick to it.  if you enjoyed it, scout out intro classes at other locations where it may be a little more fitness-y, which seems like where your discomfort may come from.

i strongly recommend hot yoga - you can stretch deeper and the class feels more like a workout.  it is done in a 90-degree room.  if that bothers you, look for vinyasa/flow classes, they will include more movement and less meditation.

if your problem is being the only guy...you are going to have that problem everywhere...yoga is always going to have a 9 to 1 (or worse) woman to man ratio (at least in my experience).  not all women are tiny bendy things either - i say this as a 5'10" 160 pound former bodybuilder.  so...that may be something to work on on yourself.

Edited by mehaner 2014-11-22 7:23 AM
2014-11-22 8:01 AM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Conroe, Texas
Originally posted by mehaner

if your goal is improved flexibility, and you indeed felt well stretched after class, i would say it works for you.  your discomfort may be with your particular class/studio.  i LOVE yoga, but have trouble finding studios where the focus is more physical than meditative.  once i find one, i stick to it.  if you enjoyed it, scout out intro classes at other locations where it may be a little more fitness-y, which seems like where your discomfort may come from.

i strongly recommend hot yoga - you can stretch deeper and the class feels more like a workout.  it is done in a 90-degree room.  if that bothers you, look for vinyasa/flow classes, they will include more movement and less meditation.

if your problem is being the only guy...you are going to have that problem everywhere...yoga is always going to have a 9 to 1 (or worse) woman to man ratio (at least in my experience).  not all women are tiny bendy things either - i say this as a 5'10" 160 pound former bodybuilder.  so...that may be something to work on on yourself.

I wasn't aware there were different types of Yoga. I'm going to do some research of Yoga classes in my area an see if I can find one that is more focused on the stretching aspects and less on the spiritual. Glad to see I'm in good company on this issue.

2014-11-22 8:17 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by sawyer1206
Originally posted by mehaner

I wasn't aware there were different types of Yoga. I'm going to do some research of Yoga classes in my area an see if I can find one that is more focused on the stretching aspects and less on the spiritual. Glad to see I'm in good company on this issue.

FWIW, there are at least several dozen different types of yoga with hundreds of variants.  Yoga can be a good part of nearly anyone's fitness program, but discovering the best one for you is key.  Personally, I'm not a fan of the spiritual styles that are heavy on meditation and goat sacrifices such as kripalu.    The styles that are more physical that focus on strength and balance, such as vinyasa, are more appealing to me.

As a bit of an aside, don't blindly pursue more flexibility in your program.  More flexibility isn't necessarily a good thing. The right amount of flexibility and control of your movements is important for athletic performance.  Also more flexibility doesn't automatically equate to fewer injuries.

2014-11-22 10:04 AM

User image

I enjoy some yoga mixed in with my workout routine. It is great for flexibility and can also be used for plyometrics. Now for me, I like to use a yoga dvd in the comfort of my living room. So no uncomfortable moments and you can't expirement with different styles for not a lot of money.
2014-11-22 11:16 AM
in reply to: skibummer

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY
Originally posted by skibummer

Yoga works

Find a style that appeals to your goals.
Try searching yoga sequences for athletes.
It will show both strengthening and stretching poses,

Remember:
You can't "win" at yoga....but watching chicks do yoga feels like winning
Yoga is not a religion.
You don't need need dim lights and sitar music.
You don't need to learn the Sanskrit names of the poses.
It will take some time to learn, but hang in there... laugh when you wobble or fall.
Pay attention to the breath.
Alignment is key.

This . Alignment is key. Perfect for S/B/R and breathing during.
2014-11-22 11:39 AM
in reply to: louamerica

User image

Groton, New York
I have been trying to incorporate some yoga into my routine not only for flexibility, but also to strengthen some of the stabilizing muscles that I think give me a lot of issues with my legs/IT band. Many of the moves not only stretch these out, but require balance which utilizes a lot of microcorrections and strengthens these muscles. I haven't done it long enough to say whether or not it works, but I generally feel good afterwards. While I don't get into the 'spiritual' aspect of it, I do focus on the breathing and 'stilling' yourself. I do think that the controlled breathing helps to center yourself and allows you to focus and listen to your body...something I am constantly trying to do while I work out, so that I know I am pushing myself, but not pushing myself too far. I think like others have said, you get out of it what you put into it. If you do it in a class, don't bother worrying about what others think, you only focus on yourself.
2014-11-22 1:08 PM

User image

Here's a video from the Yoga International World Championship if you want something to aim towards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UdM4zKDDMg

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Did Yoga Work For You? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Wind Trainer-got work-work out?

Started by Dragonflyer
Views: 574 Posts: 5

2009-12-12 7:25 AM LonghornBuckeye

Do You Do Corrective Strength Work/Physio Work?

Started by ENP
Views: 757 Posts: 7

2009-11-04 9:38 AM vball03umd

Kinda dumb question - dental work and working out?

Started by aggiegrad96
Views: 557 Posts: 4

2009-06-11 9:45 AM aggiegrad96

Q for those who've flown with bikes/work in airport/work in package delivery

Started by Krakatoa
Views: 885 Posts: 9

2005-04-27 7:32 AM qtownmom

The work will be done soon.

Started by royj
Views: 523 Posts: 3

2004-09-21 11:31 PM glf33
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : April 19, 2009
comments : 0
This third and final yoga for triathlete sequence is perfect for following up your training day help you feel more focused, aligned, rejuvenated and recovered.
date : November 7, 2007
author : YourYoga
comments : 4
The focus for this first session will be on breathing. Breathing will be the foundation for the more complex and strenuous poses that will support your bodyweight in future yoga poses.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"