General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone else doing the Zero to a Mile swim thing? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-11-21 4:27 PM

User image

Groningen, Netherlands
Subject: Anyone else doing the Zero to a Mile swim thing?
I've had very haphazard swim training, combined with running injuries that always nixed my triathlon build up I just threw all my efforts into biking, and consequently never really amounted to much in swimming, nor liked it a bit. But this time I've stuck with it (so far), I am halfway through week 3, and most importantly I'm actually having FUN swimming. I'm more comfortablel, breathing seems to be going well and "longer" (400m is the longest continuous distance in week 3) distances don't phaze me so much anymore. I know there's a facebook group also but I just wanted to see if others are also doing the program and how you are getting on with things. Or people who have done it in the past, and how you have grown from it. Did your times drop alot throughout the 6 week build to a mile or did you keep the speed constant, but the distances just became longer? So far for me it seems to have been a little bit of both, today the 400 went in 7:36 scm, the 200 after that in 3:46, 100s around 1:50. Not fast but I feel that I'm more and more starting to get a "feel" for the water.

2014-11-21 8:15 PM
in reply to: Snaaijer

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: RE: Anyone else doing the Zero to a Mile swim thing?
Je bedoelt 700 yards naar een 1650!

I done most of it before when I had a lot of swim time off and wanted an easy progression to start with.

Don't fret about times right now, they'll naturally drop as you become stronger and develop better technique. Stay with the build understand teh fine details about balance & stroke (see 31:40 point of this video). When your done think about doing a test like critical swim speed or the like T-pace and learn how to apply it to training.  I know others here can contribute more on that than I can.

2014-11-22 11:00 AM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Thank you both for posting. The video is very informative and a nice review for when I head back into the water in December, after being out for 6 weeks. I didn't realize there was a zero to 1 mile plan, so I will try to adapt that to my training also.
2014-11-22 12:11 PM
in reply to: #5069119

User image

Think I will try this too! Thank you for posting!
2014-11-24 5:19 AM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Groningen, Netherlands
Donto thanks for the reply. I actually watched the whole video and I must say it was a bit confusing to me. I'm definitely a low stroke rate kind of guy which seems to go well with the TI approach, but then the Swim Smooth idea talks about a higher stroke rate, and a higher open water stroke rate than in the pool even (depending of course what your current rate is). Both explanations seem to make sense to me: the density of water is much higher than that of air, so whenever you are not propelling yourself (by pulling), you are slowing yourself down (SS), and this is compounded by the fact that you are wildly inefficient in swimming, so its more efficient to reduce the inefficiency than it is to increase the energy exerted (TI). Of course on the face of it these are not mutually exclusive, but they do approach it differently. And I must say in the brief period I have been swimming consistently I'm sure I've both increased my efficieny in propulsion as well as my aerobic swimming ability (less out of breath). Anyway, Ill be plugging away until I get to the end and then see where I stand

Here's the link to the 0 to 1650 or really 700 to 1650 (but it starts with 100m/y as the longest interval):

http://ruthkazez.com/swimming/ZeroTo1mile.html

There's also a "true" 0-700 to precede it:

http://ruthkazez.com/swimming/Zeroto1milePreamble/pre-zero.html
2014-11-25 9:46 AM

User image

New user
Northwest
I'm planning to watch the video. Distance hasn't been an issue for me but I coach lots of different levels of athlete that could use the motivation to keep adding endurance. This sounds a lot like the monthly challenges out there, plank challenge or abs challenge. It could be a great way to stay motivated during the off-season too. Thanks for posting the link.

2014-11-25 5:44 PM

User image

Franklin, TN

I think most adult onset swimmers (I'm one) want the confidence that comes from being able to complete a non-stop mile swim.  I was the same way when I started training for triathlons in 2013.  I think I knocked out a 2000 straight swim (just to see if I could) about 1.5 - 2 months after I started.  Sure, I got a bit faster during the buildup to that swim, but that was partly because my aeorbic conditioning got better and I partly because I was receiving technique instruction from a coach.

To me, swimming briskly and with good form over relatively short distances (25's to 200) will reap more benefits regarding speed and endurance than just a long continuous swim.  If you can build up to a 2,000 to 3,000 yd/meter workout broken down into 25-200 distance ranges, you will be aerobically fit enough to tackle a mile swim with no problems.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone else doing the Zero to a Mile swim thing? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Anyone doing/done the Santa Rosa Island Tri or Destin Crab Trap Tri

Started by pilotzs
Views: 1646 Posts: 5

2013-05-28 5:00 PM tacetman

Anyone doing the Nike Swim Miami?

Started by cafenervosa
Views: 900 Posts: 3

2009-03-11 6:06 PM cafenervosa

swim 2.4 miles or not to swim 2.4 miles Pages: 1 2

Started by chirunner134
Views: 2583 Posts: 38

2006-12-11 8:05 AM chirunner134

Anyone done a Tri with a pool swim?

Started by keepitup
Views: 1169 Posts: 9

2005-05-18 12:21 PM tim_edwards

Has anyone ever done this Alcatraz swim?

Started by MrCjolsen
Views: 924 Posts: 4

2005-04-08 12:54 PM ChrisM