Other Resources The Political Joe » I can't seem to wrap my head around Furguson Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2014-11-26 5:05 PM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: I can't seem to wrap my head around Furguson

Don't try to wrap your head around it.......but it does help right now to keep your melon inside a helmet around Ferguson.

2014-11-26 7:08 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Ugh, what a tragedy. And at this point it's impossible for anyone to know what really happened.
I seldom watch TV news but I saw some of the coverage when I was at the gym, and listened to a few stories on NPR. On both network news and NPR they had some random "activist leader" saying some variation of the words, "The real tragedy is, unarmed black men are shot by police officers every day in the US." In no case did the reporter/ interviewer call them out on that. Showing loops of footage of rioting is one thing, but to allow statements like that to run with no context ("that's not actually true") is an abdication of journalistic responsibility.
2014-12-01 3:03 PM
in reply to: chayes

User image

Pro

I have decided, after dealing with the Ferguson mess for the last 3 months in one form or another, that we really aren't dealing with a race issue, or a poverty issue, or a welfare issue, or a drug issue, or a police brutality issue.  No, we are dealing with an intelligence issue.  There are so many stupid people on both sides of this thing that all we can really do is stand by and watch it spiral into more violence.  The stupidity really manifests itself on social media.  If anyone thinks this world is a better place because of social media, please go stand at the back of the line. 

I think you should have to take an IQ test before you are allowed to have any type of personal communication device.  If your IQ is 120 or above you can have an iphone, android, etc.  If your IQ is 100-120 you can have a flip phone.  You can't text, tweet, instagram, facebook, yik yak, or any other means of spreading stupid crap.  You can call someone to come change your car tire when it goes flat, order a pizza, or call 9-11.....be happy.  If your IQ is less than 100, you can get a voucher for a pack of notecards and a box of crayons.  If you have something to say, write it out the best you can and throw the note card up in the air.....maybe someone will find it, but if not we'll all be ok without your suggestion, idea, or paranoid delusion.....thank you for taking the time to write it down.

/rant

2014-12-01 4:22 PM
in reply to: chayes

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by chayes

Ugh, what a tragedy. And at this point it's impossible for anyone to know what really happened.
I seldom watch TV news but I saw some of the coverage when I was at the gym, and listened to a few stories on NPR. On both network news and NPR they had some random "activist leader" saying some variation of the words, "The real tragedy is, unarmed black men are shot by police officers every day in the US." In no case did the reporter/ interviewer call them out on that. Showing loops of footage of rioting is one thing, but to allow statements like that to run with no context ("that's not actually true") is an abdication of journalistic responsibility.

The problem is, you don't need to be a "journalist" at all to get your pov out to millions of people. All you need is a sound byte and a youtube clip to go viral and you're reaching as many eyeballs as the seven o'clock news did thirty years ago. It's up to us, the viewer, to filter it for bias, hidden agendas, or outright BS, and the problem is, most people don't have the brains and/or the inclination to do that.

I can't count the number of times someone I know on facebook will re-post as if it's fact some article that is actually satire, an urban legend, or an outright hoax.
2014-12-01 4:27 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn
Originally posted by chayes Ugh, what a tragedy. And at this point it's impossible for anyone to know what really happened. I seldom watch TV news but I saw some of the coverage when I was at the gym, and listened to a few stories on NPR. On both network news and NPR they had some random "activist leader" saying some variation of the words, "The real tragedy is, unarmed black men are shot by police officers every day in the US." In no case did the reporter/ interviewer call them out on that. Showing loops of footage of rioting is one thing, but to allow statements like that to run with no context ("that's not actually true") is an abdication of journalistic responsibility.
The problem is, you don't need to be a "journalist" at all to get your pov out to millions of people. All you need is a sound byte and a youtube clip to go viral and you're reaching as many eyeballs as the seven o'clock news did thirty years ago. It's up to us, the viewer, to filter it for bias, hidden agendas, or outright BS, and the problem is, most people don't have the brains and/or the inclination to do that. I can't count the number of times someone I know on facebook will re-post as if it's fact some article that is actually satire, an urban legend, or an outright hoax.

lol, tell me about it.  I can't count how many times I have to politely message friends of mine informing them how much of an idiot they are for posting "that".  lol

2014-12-02 12:31 AM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Elite

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn I can't count the number of times someone I know on facebook will re-post as if it's fact some article that is actually satire, an urban legend, or an outright hoax.

There is actually a website dedicated to posting morons taking satirical articles on Facebook for real. Quite entertaining.

2014-12-02 12:33 AM

User image

Elite

Originally posted by Left Brain

I have decided, after dealing with the Ferguson mess for the last 3 months in one form or another, that we really aren't dealing with a race issue, or a poverty issue, or a welfare issue, or a drug issue, or a police brutality issue.  No, we are dealing with an intelligence issue.  There are so many stupid people on both sides of this thing that all we can really do is stand by and watch it spiral into more violence.  The stupidity really manifests itself on social media.  If anyone thinks this world is a better place because of social media, please go stand at the back of the line. 

I think you should have to take an IQ test before you are allowed to have any type of personal communication device.  If your IQ is 120 or above you can have an iphone, android, etc.  If your IQ is 100-120 you can have a flip phone.  You can't text, tweet, instagram, facebook, yik yak, or any other means of spreading stupid crap.  You can call someone to come change your car tire when it goes flat, order a pizza, or call 9-11.....be happy.  If your IQ is less than 100, you can get a voucher for a pack of notecards and a box of crayons.  If you have something to say, write it out the best you can and throw the note card up in the air.....maybe someone will find it, but if not we'll all be ok without your suggestion, idea, or paranoid delusion.....thank you for taking the time to write it down.

/rant

Yes, being a moron has gone viral.

2014-12-02 3:19 PM
in reply to: powerman

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Originally posted by powerman

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn I can't count the number of times someone I know on facebook will re-post as if it's fact some article that is actually satire, an urban legend, or an outright hoax.

There is actually a website dedicated to posting morons taking satirical articles on Facebook for real. Quite entertaining.

Please share!

2014-12-02 8:57 PM
in reply to: TriDadinAsheville

User image

Originally posted by TriDadinAsheville
Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy The Brown nonsense...just outrageous. He is on tape just robbing a store. This is beyond silly. ...about 4 minutes from a decision. It's not going to be a good night to be out in the greater St. Louis area.
And that justifies an execution? Where do we live again?

I know right,,,,, how could that GJ not indite Wilson when Brown was kneeling on the ground in front of him with his hands up, obviously surrendering when Wilson shot him multiple times until he collapsed dead??

2014-12-03 7:58 AM
in reply to: crusevegas

User image

Originally posted by crusevegas

Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy The Brown nonsense...just outrageous. He is on tape just robbing a store. This is beyond silly. ...about 4 minutes from a decision. It's not going to be a good night to be out in the greater St. Louis area.

I know right,,,,, how could that GJ not indite Wilson when Brown was kneeling on the ground in front of him with his hands up, obviously surrendering when Wilson shot him multiple times until he collapsed dead??

This silliness has me sold on the idea of cameras on cops. I am sure overall it will make the cops job easier.

2014-12-03 8:37 AM
in reply to: Jackemy1

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Jackemy1

This silliness has me sold on the idea of cameras on cops. I am sure overall it will make the cops job easier.

Yep, and it will also result in a lot more people being arrested.

2014-12-03 9:13 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois

You saying cops will not let people go with a warning and just arrest people now? If that is your point that is a good one. Also depends on how they handle it. If they only review it if they have an issue then really should not change anything.
2014-12-03 9:18 AM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by chirunner134

You saying cops will not let people go with a warning and just arrest people now? If that is your point that is a good one. Also depends on how they handle it. If they only review it if they have an issue then really should not change anything.

I'll let LB chime in as well, but my speculation is that there are a lot of crimes witnessed by police that would be difficult to prosecute, so they don't push the issue.  However, if everything is video taped then there would be a lot more potential offenses that would be more easily prosecuted.  Hence, more arrests.

2014-12-03 9:31 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by tuwood

Originally posted by chirunner134

I'll let LB chime in as well, but my speculation is that there are a lot of crimes witnessed by police that would be difficult to prosecute, so they don't push the issue.  However, if everything is video taped then there would be a lot more potential offenses that would be more easily prosecuted.  Hence, more arrests.

That's part of it, the other part is an Officer's discretion on whether or not to arrest......a point of law that is HUGE in police work.  The fact is, we let more people go than we arrest for most misdemeanor crimes.  And without going into a loooong list of the types of things that can mitigate an officer's decision to arrest.....I know I'm not going to set myself up to be second guessed on that as well as every other thing we do.  I'll just arrest everybody and not worry about it.

The fact is......if you are a Police Officer today and don't conduct yourself like everything you are doing is being recorded than you're a fool.  BUT....adding audio recording to the discussions I have with people that I deal with in a Police role is a completely different matter.  You could pretty easily talk me out of a traffic ticket or arresting you for having a joint or some other silly crime......but not if our discussion is recorded and now I have to justify why Iet you go but didn't let someone else go who's cuircumstance may be completely different.  No thanks. 

Edited by Left Brain 2014-12-03 9:42 AM
2014-12-03 9:43 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite

Originally posted by crowny2

Please share!

For your enjoyment

http://literallyunbelievable.org/

Edited by powerman 2014-12-03 9:44 AM
2014-12-03 9:45 AM

User image

Elite

Dash cams have vindicated the police many more times than it has vindicated the criminal.

2014-12-03 9:49 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Dash cams have vindicated the police many more times than it has vindicated the criminal.

*vindicated the innocent  

2014-12-03 9:51 AM

User image

Pro

Another point to consider......quite a few conversations I have with people in a Police role involve some of the most intimate or embarrasing moments of their lives.....it can be extremely personal.  That will all be a matter of public record.  Be careful what you wish for.

2014-12-03 11:32 AM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Originally posted by crowny2

Please share!

For your enjoyment

http://literallyunbelievable.org/

Good lord I can waste an entire day+ looking through there.  Absolutely awesome!

2014-12-03 12:54 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

Another point to consider......quite a few conversations I have with people in a Police role involve some of the most intimate or embarrasing moments of their lives.....it can be extremely personal.  That will all be a matter of public record.  Be careful what you wish for.

That's a GREAT point.

I've been making the point that I think I've made here as well that it takes the officer's discretion out of the equation somewhat.. In other words, if a cop breaks up a fight between a bunch of drunk kids outside a bar, today, he can just send them all home with a warning. If he's wearing a cop-cam, he's probably got to book all of them for disorderly conduct, if not A&B, resisting arrest, and all kinds of other stuff. But the point about every interaction with a cop now becoming a public record is an even better reason why it's not a great idea.
2014-12-03 2:02 PM

User image

I see a new season of COPS in the future.....

2014-12-03 2:13 PM

User image

Pro

Tell me you don't believe everything you see on that show......please tell me that.

2014-12-03 2:40 PM

User image

Tell me you don't believe everything you see on that show......please tell me that.

What..chasing criminals all over the St. Louis streets is not your typical day?

2014-12-03 2:41 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
What I do not understand is why does the video have to be part of the freedom of information at least for the everyday man? After a week, 2 weeks, maybe a month unless being used part of an investigation it gets destroyed. Its all shot digitally so why not only keep what you need until either investigation is resolved or statue of limitations runs out. If you have a complain within that period of time it can be reviewed then and determined the course of action at that point.

2014-12-03 2:43 PM

User image

Pro

What..chasing criminals all over the St. Louis streets is not your typical day?

Not these days.....I do the light work. 

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » I can't seem to wrap my head around Furguson Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

A thread that we can't let die...or can we? Pages: 1 2

Started by ChineseDemocracy
Views: 3778 Posts: 45

2014-11-03 8:12 AM tuwood

Just when you think life can't get any worse

Started by BrianRunsPhilly
Views: 1035 Posts: 3

2013-08-16 10:17 AM Pector55
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 14, 2014
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 2
Is there an ideal head position? The criteria below will give you a general idea of when you know you have found your sweet spot for head position.