Other Resources The Political Joe » I can't seem to wrap my head around Furguson Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2014-12-03 2:46 PM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: I can't seem to wrap my head around Furguson

Originally posted by chirunner134 What I do not understand is why does the video have to be part of the freedom of information at least for the everyday man? After a week, 2 weeks, maybe a month unless being used part of an investigation it gets destroyed. Its all shot digitally so why not only keep what you need until either investigation is resolved or statue of limitations runs out. If you have a complain within that period of time it can be reviewed then and determined the course of action at that point.

You can't "only keep what you need".  Every piece of that video is considered evidence in a criminal case, and possibly in a civil case as well.  How long you have to keep it can be a matter of legal debate......but what parts you have to keep are not.

2014-12-03 3:57 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
The grand jury in New York just refused to indict the NYPD cop in the Eric Garner death. (Garner was arrested for illegally selling cigarettes. When Garner, a big guy, resisted (not violently) one of the cops took him to the ground in a headlock, which some called an illegal chokehold. Garner died minutes later. The autopsy said that Garner's health problems and obesity, along with the police conduct, contributed to his death).

I have to admit that I'm a little surprised there was no indictment. Unlike in Ferguson, there was a cell phone video of the arrest that clearly showed the officer choking Garner (Garner even says at one point, "I can't breathe".) It's not a case where the cops could have reasonaby feared for his safety. When cops try to cuff him, he puts his hands in the air, prompting the officer behind him to put him in the headlock/chokehold and bring him to the ground.

I'll be interested to see what the reaction here is. Of course, Al Sharption's been all over it. Supposedly there are some plans to disrupt tonights Rockefeller tree lighing ceremony.
2014-12-03 8:51 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn The grand jury in New York just refused to indict the NYPD cop in the Eric Garner death. (Garner was arrested for illegally selling cigarettes. When Garner, a big guy, resisted (not violently) one of the cops took him to the ground in a headlock, which some called an illegal chokehold. Garner died minutes later. The autopsy said that Garner's health problems and obesity, along with the police conduct, contributed to his death). I have to admit that I'm a little surprised there was no indictment. Unlike in Ferguson, there was a cell phone video of the arrest that clearly showed the officer choking Garner (Garner even says at one point, "I can't breathe".) It's not a case where the cops could have reasonaby feared for his safety. When cops try to cuff him, he puts his hands in the air, prompting the officer behind him to put him in the headlock/chokehold and bring him to the ground. I'll be interested to see what the reaction here is. Of course, Al Sharption's been all over it. Supposedly there are some plans to disrupt tonights Rockefeller tree lighing ceremony.

I've tried to stay out of these discussions the last 3 months or so because the issue is so emotionally charged that most people only read until their emotions take over and then the yelling starts (on both sides... I've been guilty too) ....usually before they've finished reading.  That hasn't gotten us anywhere.  I'll give it a shot here.

Eric Garner's death is terrible.  If he were my son, my brother, my friend, or my father, I'd have a very hard time with the idea that his last words were "I can't breath" while 5 or 6 men were on top of him.  At some point his idea of not wanting to be arrested became a fight for his own life.  That's hard to even think about.

In a 30 year career I have been involved in hundreds of "resisting arrest" events.  Some were resolved as simply as me putting my hands on someone and guiding them in the direction I wanted them to go.  Some required a more heavy hand.  Some required mace, or a tazer, or a nightstick, and two required gunfire. Some were fights, and a few were fights where you know if you lose you might die.  Thankfully, I have never shot anyone and no one has ever died in the cases I have been involved in.  My career is not over.....it could happen tomorrow.  It's the nature of the work.

I promise you that every single one of those officers said the same thing when Garner was placed on that stretcher.  "Damn..........DAMN!!!!"  It's a nightmare for them.

Still, when you find yourself in a fight with a large man and he starts to gasp that he can't breath (which you will note he does....not during the time he is in a headlock/being choked...but during the time when 6 men are pushing him into the ground to gain control) you HAVE to pay attention......we know people with those body types can pretty easily be suffocated.  But for better or worse, right or wrong, worth it or not, those guys are in the middle of a fight and clear thinking can get muddy......until it's over.....then...... "damn........DAMN!!!!".  Man, they would have loved for Eric Garner to just turn around and put his hands behind his back.  Everybody goes home....and nobody dies. Easy stuff.

There is no criminal intent there.  There is a resisting arrest and a horrible accident.  It will occasionally happen as long as there are people who don't want to be arrested and people charged with doing so.  The GJ got it right........I'm sorry, but they did.

I abhor police brutality.  I'll testify against another officer in a heartbeat if they abuse anyone.  That's not what this is. 

RIP Eric Garner.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-12-03 9:07 PM
2014-12-03 10:14 PM

User image

Elite

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn The grand jury in New York just refused to indict the NYPD cop in the Eric Garner death. (Garner was arrested for illegally selling cigarettes. When Garner, a big guy, resisted (not violently) one of the cops took him to the ground in a headlock, which some called an illegal chokehold. Garner died minutes later. The autopsy said that Garner's health problems and obesity, along with the police conduct, contributed to his death). I have to admit that I'm a little surprised there was no indictment. Unlike in Ferguson, there was a cell phone video of the arrest that clearly showed the officer choking Garner (Garner even says at one point, "I can't breathe".) It's not a case where the cops could have reasonaby feared for his safety. When cops try to cuff him, he puts his hands in the air, prompting the officer behind him to put him in the headlock/chokehold and bring him to the ground. I'll be interested to see what the reaction here is. Of course, Al Sharption's been all over it. Supposedly there are some plans to disrupt tonights Rockefeller tree lighing ceremony.

I've tried to stay out of these discussions the last 3 months or so because the issue is so emotionally charged that most people only read until their emotions take over and then the yelling starts (on both sides... I've been guilty too) ....usually before they've finished reading.  That hasn't gotten us anywhere.  I'll give it a shot here.

Eric Garner's death is terrible.  If he were my son, my brother, my friend, or my father, I'd have a very hard time with the idea that his last words were "I can't breath" while 5 or 6 men were on top of him.  At some point his idea of not wanting to be arrested became a fight for his own life.  That's hard to even think about.

In a 30 year career I have been involved in hundreds of "resisting arrest" events.  Some were resolved as simply as me putting my hands on someone and guiding them in the direction I wanted them to go.  Some required a more heavy hand.  Some required mace, or a tazer, or a nightstick, and two required gunfire. Some were fights, and a few were fights where you know if you lose you might die.  Thankfully, I have never shot anyone and no one has ever died in the cases I have been involved in.  My career is not over.....it could happen tomorrow.  It's the nature of the work.

I promise you that every single one of those officers said the same thing when Garner was placed on that stretcher.  "Damn..........DAMN!!!!"  It's a nightmare for them.

Still, when you find yourself in a fight with a large man and he starts to gasp that he can't breath (which you will note he does....not during the time he is in a headlock/being choked...but during the time when 6 men are pushing him into the ground to gain control) you HAVE to pay attention......we know people with those body types can pretty easily be suffocated.  But for better or worse, right or wrong, worth it or not, those guys are in the middle of a fight and clear thinking can get muddy......until it's over.....then...... "damn........DAMN!!!!".  Man, they would have loved for Eric Garner to just turn around and put his hands behind his back.  Everybody goes home....and nobody dies. Easy stuff.

There is no criminal intent there.  There is a resisting arrest and a horrible accident.  It will occasionally happen as long as there are people who don't want to be arrested and people charged with doing so.  The GJ got it right........I'm sorry, but they did.

I abhor police brutality.  I'll testify against another officer in a heartbeat if they abuse anyone.  That's not what this is. 

RIP Eric Garner.

Thanks for your perspective LB. 

Sort of funny, but discussing this on-line is sort of "emotionless". Meaning we don't know Eric, we don't know the Officer. All we see is a clip, and make huge sweeping judgments. Speaking of huge sweeping judgments.... what's clear from the video is that Eric was not asphyxiated or strangled to death. The officer had the choke for 15 seconds. Eric didn't even loose consciousness, because as soon as the hold was released, he began saying he can't breath. 

No different than a 100 other events in my life. In hind sight, I really wish I had not made the decision I did that got me the bad out come. I'm sure Eric would wish he had just taken the citation and not got mad. I'm the sure the Officer wishes he had just walked on that day and tried harder to calm things down. But what happened is now a historical event.

Who knows what will happen in civil court, but it wasn't criminal.

2014-12-04 7:38 AM
in reply to: powerman

User image

Regular
LB thanks for your perspective and most definitely your service to your community. You guys don't have an easy job but make my life easier every day.
2014-12-04 9:08 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Jackemy1

Another point to consider......quite a few conversations I have with people in a Police role involve some of the most intimate or embarrasing moments of their lives.....it can be extremely personal.  That will all be a matter of public record.  Be careful what you wish for.

I see a new season of COPS in the future.....

Tell me you don't believe everything you see on that show......please tell me that.

LB, everything on TV is true.  Same with the internet.

You need to get with the program.  ;-)

2014-12-04 9:13 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

RIP Eric Garner.

I had mixed thoughts on the Garner case personally, but you summed it up in the intent part.  If they were beating him with night sticks on the ground then, yeah there's intent/excessive force there and charges would have been justified.  However, Their intent wasn't to harm or kill him and it's pretty obvious they were just trying to place him into custody.

It's very unfortunate, but I agree that the GJ got it right.  It was an unfortunate accident.

2014-12-04 11:08 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

I agree there was no intent to murder, kill or otherwise maim Eric Garner. However, 5-6 guys piled on top of a guy who has his hands in a surrender position on the ground is excessive. Also the chokehold was against policy, for a good reason, it has been known to injure or kill people. I heard an officer call in on the radio yesterday that said it is drilled into their heads at the week long arrest techniques training, that you do not put people in chokeholds.

So, while I agree no murder charges or anything of that sort were appropriate. I do think there is a case for manslaughter or involuntary manslaughter. 

If someone was driving, was distracted by a kid in the back seat, and ran over a cyclist and killed them. We would all be screaming our heads off if they were not charged with anything. I am pretty sure most of us would agree with a involuntary manslaughter charge and a few years of probation in that case. In the Garner case the cop went against protocol, used excessive force and caused the death of a man. I think that warrants an involuntary charge. Or perhaps there is even a slightly lesser charge in that state, negligent homicide? 

But of course I was not on the grand jury and don't know all the facts. I imagine what this case came down to was expert testimony from the coroner, ME and other medical professionals as to what actually killed him. At his weight and age, it is possible he could have died from a heated argument with his wife, or from getting worked up over bad traffic. Or it is possible that the pressure from the 5-6 guys and chokehold really did kill him. I imagine the GJ heard days and days of testimony on this part and ultimately agreed that any amount of stress would have killed this guy and that he died due to his physical condition. 

2014-12-04 11:56 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Aarondb4

I agree there was no intent to murder, kill or otherwise maim Eric Garner. However, 5-6 guys piled on top of a guy who has his hands in a surrender position on the ground is excessive. Also the chokehold was against policy, for a good reason, it has been known to injure or kill people. I heard an officer call in on the radio yesterday that said it is drilled into their heads at the week long arrest techniques training, that you do not put people in chokeholds.

So, while I agree no murder charges or anything of that sort were appropriate. I do think there is a case for manslaughter or involuntary manslaughter. 

If someone was driving, was distracted by a kid in the back seat, and ran over a cyclist and killed them. We would all be screaming our heads off if they were not charged with anything. I am pretty sure most of us would agree with a involuntary manslaughter charge and a few years of probation in that case. In the Garner case the cop went against protocol, used excessive force and caused the death of a man. I think that warrants an involuntary charge. Or perhaps there is even a slightly lesser charge in that state, negligent homicide? 

But of course I was not on the grand jury and don't know all the facts. I imagine what this case came down to was expert testimony from the coroner, ME and other medical professionals as to what actually killed him. At his weight and age, it is possible he could have died from a heated argument with his wife, or from getting worked up over bad traffic. Or it is possible that the pressure from the 5-6 guys and chokehold really did kill him. I imagine the GJ heard days and days of testimony on this part and ultimately agreed that any amount of stress would have killed this guy and that he died due to his physical condition. 

My guess is that the issue of the chokehold was primary in that GJ.   First because it's against department policy, second because the coroner stated some type of neck trauma in their report (like you, I don't know all of the particulars regarding his injury), and last because Garner died.  That being said......after watching that video quite a few times, it wasn't much of a chokehold, if it was at all.  It was more of a headlock.  Back in the day we pretty routinely used chokeholds on resisting suspects and we were well trained on it's use.  If you practiced it and trained often there weren't many people, regardless of size, that you couldn't take down with it.  The idea is to get your forearm and bicep on both carotid arteries.  For illustration purposes, the persons adams apple would be in your elbow recess, so that the airway is not cutoff......it's the loss of blood that causes unconsciousness, not the loss of air.  That hold on Garner was basically used to take him down, and it surely wasn't applied until he lost consciousness.......he begins to gasp and say "I can't breath" when he is pinned on the ground by the weight of 5 or 6 men who are working to get his hands into cuffs. There is nothing on his neck at that time, the officer has moved to holding Garner's head down. I bet the GJ heard an expert or two on chokeholds.....and I bet they said it was not. (again, a guess, but I've seen a lot of chokeholds....that was more of a headlock) That's not uncommon in people of garner's stature and weight.  Like I said earlier......it's rather easy for those type of people to suffocate in that situation.  You have to be aware and be prepared to change tactics when they say, "I can't breath".....because they can't.  If I had to call a mistake somewhere that would be where it was.  Does that mistake, in the "heat of battle" rise to a criminal charge?  I don't know.  Who do you charge?  Did they hear it?  It seems they would......but you get pretty tunneled in those situations.  Could they all hear it?  How do you decide who could and who?  Again.....I'm just throwing the problems that the GJ had to deal with out there....I'm sure there are others.

I'm not really trying to defend what happened past the point where I can pretty safely say, from what I saw, that there was no intent to kill Eric Garner.  It's hard for all of us to judge these incidents because, as you said, it's hard to go back and put yourself in the place of those officers at that time under those circumstances.  As adults, we almost never get into fights.  As a Police Officer, it can be a weekly occurrence depending on the area you work. Police Officers don't always win.  The public doesn't hear about it, but we do when it happens to an Officer we work with......and all of us know of guys who had to be rescued from a catastrophic beating.  We don't want to be that guy.  So when a resisting occurs, it can tend to be much more violently responded to than the public realizes.....and maybe sometimes, much more than is necessary.  That's a really hard call......and not one that GJ's are willing to find fault with the officer(s) except in rare circumstances. 

It will be interesting to see what comes out of all of this as far as our training and techniques.....but you can be sure of one thing....somewhere right now a police officer is in a physical confrontation with a suspect....deaths are extremely rare. 

Edited by Left Brain 2014-12-04 12:15 PM
2014-12-04 12:28 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Do you find the piling on of 5-6 guys to be excessive? Seems like an argument or "resisting" with an officer tends to escalate extremely quickly these days. He went from saying "I am tired of getting harassed" to being dog piled by 6 dudes. Which leads to my other question. Do you think they had probable cause to arrest him in the first place? 

I imagine the following situation. I am riding in a car as a passenger and we get pulled over. The cop asks me for ID even though I am not driving. I refuse because I know I have the right to refuse to provide ID as long as I am not driving nor suspected of a crime. This makes the cop angry so he orders people out of the vehicle, I ask for PC for ordering me out. He then tries to search the car and we refuse. So then "in the name of officer safety" he tries to cuff us and sit us on his hood while he makes up PC to search the car and waits for the canine. If this is me, I am not going to be all giddy about putting my hands behind my back, I am likely going to argue a bit and say you have no PC to search, arrest or detain me. He then throws me to the ground and 5 of his buddies dance on my head neck and chest until they decide I am done resisting.

None of this is too far outside of what all of us have seen on countless Youtube vids, all over a speeding ticket and a citizen asserting his rights and the cop getting hacked off about it. I was involved in an encounter with police where I was a passenger, the driver was pulled over for a license plate frame "obstructing the plate" (it was the standard frame every dealer puts on. The driver hands over ID and the cop gets pissed because he has nothing so then he starts demanding further info, asks for the driver's SS #. Driver says you have my license in your hand, go look it up if you want it. The cop stares him dead in the face and says "you wouldn't want to get arrested for delaying me in my duties would you?" As this is going on 3 other cop cars show up. 

I am as law abiding as they come and I have more than once had my rights trampled by a cop. 

Just seems that perhaps the pendulum has swung a bit too far in the name of officer safety. I understand it is a dangerous job and you never know what you are going to get. But it seems that a little common sense and some personality profiling training might go a long way. It almost seems necessary at this point since everything is on video these days. Aside from my two bad encounters I have not had problems with other cops, however I plan to always have video rolling when I talk to cops in the future.

One last story. I got pulled over for speeding once by two state cops on a divided highway where one direction is 60mph and the other is 50mph unbeknownst to me. One was obviously a trainee and the other was supervising. I was driving my Father's 98 BMW 740il, I was 26 years old and my 30 year old Brother in Law was in the passenger seat. The cop was cordial. However the trainee did demand ID from my passenger (the passenger obliged without question). The car is a company car so the cop had questions about why we were driving it, where we came from, where we were going, none of which I was obligated to answer but I did with a smile anyway. The cop then questions the factory window tint on the car so orders us out of the car so the trainee can do his window check crap. I again oblige with a smile. As the trainee is fiddling with the tint machine I am at the back of the car talking to the other cop. We are having a pleasant convo, he asks me about the car and how it drives (it is old but looks great and is a nice car). He has a brand new Charger so we talk about his car and how fast it is compared to the Crown Vic, etc. I am clearly not a threat. It is cold out so I put my hands in my pockets, he wigs out and orders me to take my hands out of my pockets immediately while reaching at his belt.

Big deal in the grand scheme? No. But really??? I am bending over backwards ignoring my rights so that your job can be easy and your buddy can get some training in and you are still going to freak out on me for putting my hands in my pockets in the name of "officer safety"? A little common sense would have been better in this situation. He had already run my info and found absolutely zero record, we had been in contact for 15-20 minutes at this point and he still has a freak out. 

I won't get into the two bad encounters (still makes me mad). I guess my overall point is, the pendulum seems to have swung too far toward officer safety and thus treating everyone like criminals and has thus lead to ordinary law abiding citizens have a distrust of the police and being more apt to video encounters, assert their rights, and possible get squashed to death by 5-6 guys for asserting their rights. Doesn't seem to be as much "Protect and Serve" as their once was.

Whew... that was a novel!

2014-12-04 1:11 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Pro

You may have a point about the pendulum having swung too far toward officer safety.  I don't watch many police videos on you tube so I really don't know what's out there. I have heard your sentiment expressed before.....I wonder if the fact that many of the officers we hire now are war veterans has anything to do with it?  Our country has been at war long enough now that almost all of our applicants have been in Iraq, Afghanistan, etc.  I know that one bad experience by a person can lead to the idea that the police are out of control......and I'm not saying that's not understandable.  I just don't know if the perception is true or not.  I'm open to the possibility.  As for whether they had probable cause to arrest him.....I have no idea.  I'm going to assume yes since that hasn't come up.

Here's the thing about your first comment......the suspect in that video is a BIG guy.  I would imagine they stood there for awhile trying to get him to comply as more officers showed up.  It's normally considered safer to dog pile someone than to strike them.....in this case it didn't turn out well.  But.....and here's my experience with the police.....it almost always does turn out better.  Impact strikes cause injuries....."dog piling", as you call it, not so much.

I know this.....bad things happen.  They happen more when it goes to a fight.  No matter what, at some point someone has to put their hands on Eric Garner to get him arrested.  You see a guy putting his hands up to surrender.  I saw a big man put his hands up and say don't touch me, or don't put your hands on me....I can't remember now.  Either way.....that ends with everyone on the ground.

2014-12-04 1:36 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Yeah, he did definitely wave his hands about the place and say leave me alone, I meant to point out that he backed off in a big hurry as soon as Rocky Balboa was around his Hulk Hogan neck.

Interesting point on the combat vets, I imagine that could definitely have somewhat of an affect on the kind of applicants you get and their feelings on personal safety. Kind of goes back to the whole militarization of police thing as well. I know some cops in my city PD pretty well, I have a lot of respect for them, but they talk a lot about SWAT training and all the cool training they do with military gear and such. It seems like everyone wants to be one of the cool guys in body armor, carrying an M16. Seems to me that if you train someone to act like they are in a war zone, chances are they are going to be hypersensitive and ready to go to war at any moment. On the other hand you have a case where a cop does not draw and fire soon enough on a guy who is clearly disobeying orders to stay in the vehicle and ends up killed by a psycho with a rifle. Maybe some training on reading people better, or psych profiling (not sure if that is even possible).

Not sure where the balance is, but seems a slight shift the other way might be in order at this point. Maybe the camera idea would help. But yeah, I see lawyers having a field day with that. Heck every time a cop was involved in something and had to testify you would have defense lawyers pulling up video from everything that cop did for the last 5 years. Like you said, would eliminate all discretion and lead to more arrests and charges. 

2014-12-04 1:41 PM

User image

Pro

One thing is for sure......more discussion like this would be a hell of a lot more useful than anything I've been dealing with the last few months.  It seems like people on both sides can't pull the emotion out of the equation.  There is likely quite a bit to learn from all viewpoints.....but we're a loooong way from there I fear. 

Edited by Left Brain 2014-12-04 1:42 PM
2014-12-04 2:03 PM
in reply to: #5069207

User image

Elite
Arondb4,you need to do some research on what your rights are in a Terry stop. SCOTUS has ruled all occupants are detained. SCOTUS also ruled that the feds can't require you to show ID, but States most certainly can. Most have laws requiring it. SCOTUS ruled that failure to ID alone can't be the sole cause to arrest. Two states have laws on the books making it a misdemeanor to not ID. And it's constitutional.

Like I said in my OP... look at Rodney King.... Cops beating the crap out of him and tazing him. Why not just dog pile him.... But now you can't dog pile... So they just shoot him cause they can't make physical contact? At some point, face has to be used when the guy tells you he isn't going.

I've had a few run in with police. I argued the whole time... And complied with every order given immediately. Even hammered I knew I wasn't going to win the fight. But the weirdest thing happened... When I stopped breaking the law, I stopped getting contacted by the police. Odd how that works. Back in the day, if I was contacted... The second car ALWAYS came. Now, every few years I make a donation to the department of revenue. They give me my ticket, I go on about my business.

Fact is, we need police. Just how do you expect people to sign up for that job when you tell them over the course of a career they can expect to get the snot beat out of them on a regular basis and if they lay one finger on someone inappropriately they will be charged as a criminal. Ya, cities don't have enough money to pay people to sign up for that. Quite frankly, I don't know why they sign up for it now. I know you are not hating on police. Really, I didn't take it like that. But we can't just look at a 2 minute video and conclude we know what police work is and pick it apart with could have and should have.

There is a wiki page on Eric Garner. He has been arrested 30 times. Several resisting arrests. A robbery. Garner was no stranger to police contact. Those officers were no strangers to contacts with Eric Garner. For every crime a person is convicted of, it's the tip of the iceberg of what they have committed. Ask me how I know. Eric never died before in countless prior contacts. He was in poor health. It is what it is.

I can't begin to count the number of times the other side of the fence has been argued. Criminals released over and over only to hurt some... And then, where are the police, why aren't they doing anything to stop them. Our criminal justice system is a joke of a revolving door.... I don't know where the balance is. But I learned a long time ago... You are not going to win a fight with the police. And the ones that can... Belong in prison.
2014-12-04 2:18 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by powerman Fact is, we need police. Just how do you expect people to sign up for that job when you tell them over the course of a career they can expect to get the snot beat out of them on a regular basis and if they lay one finger on someone inappropriately they will be charged as a criminal. Ya, cities don't have enough money to pay people to sign up for that. Quite frankly, I don't know why they sign up for it now..

HA!  We run a "citizens police academy" and put the folks through some pretty realistic scenarios.  They even have airsoft pistols.  It's amazing how many times they end up shooting.  Maybe they just like shooting us with airsoft BB's. LOL   Their eyes get opened wide when we explain how far off their use of force was.  And then when they find out that the proper response was some type of hands on action they're like, "oh hell no, I'm not up for that".    

It's a great job.  There is rarely a day that goes by when I don't get an opportunity to help someone.  It has enriched my life. The rest of the work is just the business of trying to help maintain some law and order.....it's not the good stuff.  I never wanted to do anything else.  After all these years, I feel exactly the same. 

Edited by Left Brain 2014-12-04 2:20 PM
2014-12-04 7:15 PM

User image

Elite
Just show me a video of someone getting pulled over, turning on their dome light, rolling down their window, getting their information ready when the officer approaches, puts their hands on the top of the wheel so the officer knows you're doing what you're supposed to, and a polite "yes sir," or, "no sir."
THEN the cop beats them, hits them, etc.
THEN I might feel some sympathy for the victims.

These 2 situations clearly do not involve people doing what they are supposed to be doing, therefore, I've got no sympathy for them.

Do some cops pull macho power trips? Sure. In every line of work you're going to get overly zealous folks...but at the scene is not where you make your stand. Do what you are told and if you feel it's wrong fight it in court.

2014-12-05 9:25 AM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

One thing is for sure......more discussion like this would be a hell of a lot more useful than anything I've been dealing with the last few months.  It seems like people on both sides can't pull the emotion out of the equation.  There is likely quite a bit to learn from all viewpoints.....but we're a loooong way from there I fear. 

Here is some GREAT and CALM discussion between sports talking heads.  

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2014-12-04/nba-on-tnt-ferguson-segment-charles-barkley-kenny-smith-shaq-knicks-cavaliers

2014-12-05 9:50 AM
in reply to: ChineseDemocracy

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy Just show me a video of someone getting pulled over, turning on their dome light, rolling down their window, getting their information ready when the officer approaches, puts their hands on the top of the wheel so the officer knows you're doing what you're supposed to, and a polite "yes sir," or, "no sir." THEN the cop beats them, hits them, etc. THEN I might feel some sympathy for the victims. These 2 situations clearly do not involve people doing what they are supposed to be doing, therefore, I've got no sympathy for them. Do some cops pull macho power trips? Sure. In every line of work you're going to get overly zealous folks...but at the scene is not where you make your stand. Do what you are told and if you feel it's wrong fight it in court.

I always tell people that you can beat the rap, but you can't beat the ride.

Always comply with the police, even if they're 100% in the wrong.  You can deal with that later in the court system.  

2014-12-05 9:57 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by tuwood

Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy Just show me a video of someone getting pulled over, turning on their dome light, rolling down their window, getting their information ready when the officer approaches, puts their hands on the top of the wheel so the officer knows you're doing what you're supposed to, and a polite "yes sir," or, "no sir." THEN the cop beats them, hits them, etc. THEN I might feel some sympathy for the victims. These 2 situations clearly do not involve people doing what they are supposed to be doing, therefore, I've got no sympathy for them. Do some cops pull macho power trips? Sure. In every line of work you're going to get overly zealous folks...but at the scene is not where you make your stand. Do what you are told and if you feel it's wrong fight it in court.

Always comply with the police, even if they're 100% in the wrong.  You can deal with that later in the court system.  

I heard that same statement on the radio.

Though sometimes its good not too. My friend told me a story about her friend got there car stolen by a cop. If they did not comply they would still have there car. They bought a car. Cop pulled them over because of no plate (just bought it 15 mins earlier). They show the cop the title they just got ad proof they just bought the car. Cop said this car was stolen and had to take the title as evidence. Guy never saw or heard anything from the cops again with no record of the incidence.
2014-12-05 10:03 AM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by chirunner134

I heard that same statement on the radio. Though sometimes its good not too. My friend told me a story about her friend got there car stolen by a cop. If they did not comply they would still have there car. They bought a car. Cop pulled them over because of no plate (just bought it 15 mins earlier). They show the cop the title they just got ad proof they just bought the car. Cop said this car was stolen and had to take the title as evidence. Guy never saw or heard anything from the cops again with no record of the incidence.

There's always examples of bad cops, and even people impersonating cops so it's not always cut and dry, but it's extremely rare that you'd ever want to not comply with teh police.  
It's kind of like getting robbed.  Statistically, you are better off to always give up your wallet and give the punk what they want, but sometimes they are still going to just shoot you.  It is legal to defend yourself from a cop if he is breaking the law, but omg you better be right and it better be VERY obvious because the benefit of the doubt will always go to the police officer.  lol
Did I mention I have video cameras on my car and house.  I also record the audio of any law enforcement interaction.  

2014-12-05 10:16 AM

User image

Pro

I heard that same statement on the radio. Though sometimes its good not too. My friend told me a story about her friend got there car stolen by a cop. If they did not comply they would still have there car. They bought a car. Cop pulled them over because of no plate (just bought it 15 mins earlier). They show the cop the title they just got ad proof they just bought the car. Cop said this car was stolen and had to take the title as evidence. Guy never saw or heard anything from the cops again with no record of the incidence.

There's always examples of bad cops, and even people impersonating cops so it's not always cut and dry, but it's extremely rare that you'd ever want to not comply with teh police.  
It's kind of like getting robbed.  Statistically, you are better off to always give up your wallet and give the punk what they want, but sometimes they are still going to just shoot you.  It is legal to defend yourself from a cop if he is breaking the law, but omg you better be right and it better be VERY obvious because the benefit of the doubt will always go to the police officer.  lol
Did I mention I have video cameras on my car and house.  I also record the audio of any law enforcement interaction.  

I bet that's some must see TV. 

2014-12-05 10:19 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I'm building up my library.  So far I've caught two accidents with the car, and two burglary suspects with my house cameras.  

2014-12-05 10:20 AM

User image

Pro

I'm building up my library.  So far I've caught two accidents with the car, and two burglary suspects with my house cameras.  

I see a future....... "Tony's Tales"

2014-12-05 10:28 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I see a future....... "Tony's Tales"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoCOXYiYM8g

2014-12-05 10:34 AM

User image

Pro

HAHAHAHA!!!

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » I can't seem to wrap my head around Furguson Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

A thread that we can't let die...or can we? Pages: 1 2

Started by ChineseDemocracy
Views: 3781 Posts: 45

2014-11-03 8:12 AM tuwood

Just when you think life can't get any worse

Started by BrianRunsPhilly
Views: 1037 Posts: 3

2013-08-16 10:17 AM Pector55
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 14, 2014
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 2
Is there an ideal head position? The criteria below will give you a general idea of when you know you have found your sweet spot for head position.