General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Someone asked about "cool downs" not long ago Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-11-23 9:48 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Subject: Someone asked about "cool downs" not long ago
I can't remember who but about a month ago, someone on here asked about cool down and if any scientific evidence pointed that it was beneficial.

I still had yet to find any scientific evidence in favor of cool down, but I don't think I ever will since it isn't researched much, if at all. I actually had to sit down and really think about why we cool down, And while I have my own beliefs (including some in how the autonomic systems plays a role) I couldn't get any ideas beyond this. Then Steve Magness wrote this and got me thinking. http://www.scienceofrunning.com/2012/09/rethinking-cool-down-and-xc...

Just thought I would pass this along and give some thoughts to whoever it was that originally asked the question.

2014-11-23 2:00 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Someone asked about "cool downs" not long ago

Thanks for posting, Ben.  I don't have time to read the whole thing now, but a quick skim gave me the impression that it's a great article.  I'll save it to read and comment later. 

2014-11-23 2:57 PM

Interesting read. I generally don't 'cool-down' from most training sessions unless I'm doing some intense intervals. But I do find 'cool-down' runs very important after short/intense races such as 5k/10k's. If I don't go for a run immediately after those types of races, my training tends to suffer for a couple days.
2014-11-23 5:23 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by TriMyBest

Thanks for posting, Ben.  I don't have time to read the whole thing now, but a quick skim gave me the impression that it's a great article.  I'll save it to read and comment later. 

It's a very interesting read, as Steve has some great insight for running. Cliff notes is that he talks about cool downs as a means for recovery versus adaptions. No conclusions are made but he thinks outside the box and lots can be taken away from this article.
2014-11-23 5:38 PM

User image

That's an interesting read. I almost never cool down. The bike being the worst for me. I tend to "cool down" in upper Z2. For running, I do walk around and drink some water to slow my sweat rate before I jump in the car. I did find I cramped up if I jumped directly into my car without walk for a few minutes though. Don't know what it is but sitting down right after a workout does not work for me. I at least need to stand, even if I'm standing still, for a few minutes.
2014-11-24 2:09 PM

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
I don't remember which thread it was, but I either asked the question or egged it on...
Cool article. He writes some pretty insightful stuff. I found it insanely annoying when he said: " Similarly, there have been some intriguing studies on stretching after strength work..." without adding any links. I am still haunted by my old boss who would've blasted me in bold red: "CITE!"
  • ..anyway...Cool, all his points seem sensible and the different modes of cool down to guide differential adaptation would be awesome studies with some potentially big discoveries.
  • As he pointed out, this area is just 'known' and so no one wants to examine it. Bummer. That is how wrong ideas become cemented and great ideas remain unknown.

2014-11-25 2:07 PM
    in reply to: dfroelich

User image

Expert
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Originally posted by dfroelich

I don't remember which thread it was, but I either asked the question or egged it on...
    Cool article. He writes some pretty insightful stuff. I found it insanely annoying when he said: " Similarly, there have been some intriguing studies on stretching after strength work..." without adding any links. I am still haunted by my old boss who would've blasted me in bold red: "CITE!"
  • ..anyway...Cool, all his points seem sensible and the different modes of cool down to guide differential adaptation would be awesome studies with some potentially big discoveries.
  • As he pointed out, this area is just 'known' and so no one wants to examine it. Bummer. That is how wrong ideas become cemented and great ideas remain unknown.

Now I remember. Yes it is a bit annoying, however, at least for myself I read Steve Magness (a lot) he is a mentor of mine so I have full trust and faith it what he says, I wouldn't check his citations anyway. Agree on the studies and what it could lead to, however, no one is interested in studies on cool downs, hence why no research is on them. its like testing on amateurs, no one cares really how the average joe does. Hopefully through time we have more examination on these "known" ideas so they do not just become cemented in our minds.
    2014-11-26 10:50 AM
    in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Expert
    Madison, Wisconsin

Get a chance to read it? I would like to hear your thoughts/commentary?
    2014-11-28 10:52 AM

User image

Pro
    Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by bcagle25

Get a chance to read it? I would like to hear your thoughts/commentary?

I like that he's thinking a little outside the box, but in a way that's still consistent with research. I feel that too many people get locked into specific training models instead of learning concepts and applying them in whatever ways achieve their objectives.  It seems like we've heard so much about recovery, and how to enhance it, in recent years, that we get distracted from the end goal - adaptations!

We could view some of what he's talking about regarding using a cool down to enhance adaptations as another "interval" in the workout that has a specific goal, even if it differs from the overall objective of the session.

It's really interesting stuff.

New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Someone asked about "cool downs" not long ago Rss Feed  
    RELATED POSTS

Is it ok to ask someone to switch lanes

Started by Sidney Porter
    Views: 2249 Posts: 25

2012-08-17 2:38 PM 2453V

"Cool Down" of "Warm Down"

Started by 2453V
    Views: 1356 Posts: 19

2012-01-24 8:54 AM axteraa

Cool or NOT cool Pages: 1 2

Started by husse23
    Views: 2433 Posts: 26

2010-10-22 4:47 PM lucerolite

Cooling down after T2: Cold Glove.

Started by rthomas
    Views: 1598 Posts: 11

2008-04-11 11:45 AM MoquiVA

For those that started not long ago - a question that could serve as motivation Pages: 1 2

Started by cobannero
    Views: 2284 Posts: 31

2005-01-12 10:27 PM Daytona Bill
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : February 23, 2009
    author : mrakes1
    comments : 0
    I usually have at least one workout per day, sometimes two or three, but I spend about all in-between time eating. I am not gaining weight, but I am not losing weight either. Should I be concerned?

date : September 3, 2005
    author : Jen Doyle
    Often athletes forget the fitness basics such as warm up and cool down. We know they are important, but we want to get into the meat of our workout without wasting time.
    date : September 1, 2004
    author : AskMrsBT
    "On a six-mile tempo run is the warm up and cool down miles"