General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Did I just waste 135 minutes? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-11-28 10:11 PM
in reply to: jrob

User image

Subject: RE: Did I just waste 135 minutes?
Originally posted by jrob

Thanks for all the responses.

So I did some follow up testing to re-calculate my HR rate zones.
-- I know my resting HR is usually around 45 when checked manually. So I entered that into the Garmin.
-- For my max heart rate, I followed a Chris Carmichael 'Train Right -Time Trial' DVD. I did a 30 minute warm up making sure I was at least 90 rpm and getting my HR up near the end. Then I did two 8 minute all out, max effort, tests with a 10 minute recovery ride in between the two 8 minute max efforts. I had my Garmin set to calculate my average heart rate for each of the two max efforts. For the first attempt my average was 144 bpm, and the second was 148 bpm. So I then entered 148 in my Garmin for my max HR for the bike settings and it kicked out the following zones:

Zone 1: 74-89
Zone 2: 89-104
Zone 3: 104-118
Zone 4: 118-133
Zone 5: 133-148

This seems to be much more accurate for me, as I felt I was right around zone 1.8-2.2 when I had done that 135 minute ride a week ago, based on my own RPE.

So my question is, do you think these are good new zones for me? Or is there an issue with how I figured out my max HR or how the Garmin calculated my zones? If I am basing my bike training by HR zones for the next 3-4 months I want to make sure I'm starting off with accurate zones. And would it be good to do that same time trial test once a month to recalculate zones in case my conditioning changes?
?

The lower end of Z5 should the max effort you can sustain for an hour now.

2014-11-28 11:13 PM
in reply to: Jcdyess

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
Subject: RE: Did I just waste 135 minutes?
Originally posted by Jcdyess

It is a LT test not necessarily a max hr test. I did the one posted here on BT and it is similar. You take your avg hr for the maxed out time period and it is supposed to be your LT. Garmin and BT use that number to calculate hr zonesi just did it last week.

Ok, since it was a LTHR test and not a MHR test, you would get bad zones by entering 148 into the MHR box on Garmin connect. If you set your heart rate zones on this site (details here: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=... ), it will use that LTHR number and here is what you get:
1 - Recovery 97 - 122
2 - Extensive Endurance 122 - 132
3 - Intensive Endurance 132 - 138
4 - Sub-Threshold 139 - 147
5a - SuperThreshold 148 - 151
5b - Anaerobic Endurance 152 - 156
5c - Power 157 - 162

They define Zone 4 maxing out (and Zone 5 starting) at the point that you could theoretically hold for 1 hour. That is what that 2X8 minute test is supposed to simulate. A better test once you are a bit further into your training would be the more common 20 minute field test (detailed here: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=... ). Since it is closer to one hour, it will give a better number. But since it is very, very difficult to max out for an hour (and still tough for 20 minutes), we get by with shorter tests, use that number and accept it may be a little off.
Also, it is guessing that your max HR is above 160, but that is in no way guaranteed. I wouldn't bother testing that. Just wear the HR strap every time, and take note of the MHR every workout. If you get a high score, check that the HR plot looks legit (i.e. not like the first pic here: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/04/troubleshooting-your-heart-rate.... ) and there is your latest MHR.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Did I just waste 135 minutes? Rss Feed  

of 2