Overall Rank = 24/340
Age Group = M 50-54
Age Group Rank = 3/12
Swim
  • 16m 42s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 54s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swam hard but stayed relaxed. Could have held a tighter line, especially on the inbound leg. My wave started 3 minutes behind the 40+ women and the Athenas, so I was inevitably having to navigate through that wave before I got to the first buoy (my wife said only three women in that entire wave finished before I did).
What would you do differently?:

Sight off the last buoy, not the crowd onshore on the inbound leg. I was 8th out of the water out of 64 guys in my wave (3rd in my AG), so this was not a slow swim...course was set very long (over 1000 yards in the water).
Transition 1
  • 02m 55s
Comments:

The run from the timing mat to transition is up a steep driveway with a rough surface...really took a toll on my feet. Found myself struggling to get first leg out of wetsuit and it took me precious seconds to realize that the cuff was hung up on my timing chip...first time that's ever happened. This was the only phase of the race that was below par for me...7th of 12 in AG.

Pay closer attention to why my leg wasn't coming out of my wetsuit...
Bike
  • 43m 33s
  • 14 miles
  • 19.29 mile/hr
Comments:

Don't know why they list this as a "14 mile" bike course: Every time I've done it, it's clocked as 14.5 miles...obviously everyone with a Garmin and or a bike computer sees that fact. At 14.5 miles, I averaged right at 20 mph, which was my goal...first time I've managed that in 7 races at Bonelli Park.

I can see the difference in my cycling not only in the increase in speed both here and at Malibu, but in the fact that only a couple people passed me.

Nothing...this was at the high end of my expectations.
Transition 2
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

Great transition...hoped for anything under 1:15 and almost got under 1:00. 2nd of 12 in AG.

Nothing...unlike my T1's, my T2's are totally dialed in these days.
Run
  • 31m 2s
  • 4.5 miles
  • 06m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

I've got a small cyst on the top of my left arch that has limited my running the last two weeks. Didn't bother me, but the fourth toe of that foot started aching on the first big downhill. When we got home after the race it was purple...somehow I either sprained it or strained the tendon on the top of the toe. Didn't slow me down, but I'll have to lay off it for at least a week, I'm sure.

Like the bike, the run was at the top end of expectations. Only one person passed me the whole time.

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Got into sandals because my sprained toe was killing me once I cooled down. Got my 3rd place AG award (a pint glass with the race logo) and split.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing. I told Liz before the start that if I got in by 10:00am, I would be in contention for an AG medal...I finished at 9:57 and got 3rd. Last did this race in 2010 and finished 4th (same AG, though more finishers)...took 7 minutes off my time.

Event comments:

This is a well-organized race in its 10th year. RD primarily does Xterra events. Nice touch with pumpkin pie at the finish every year.

Last updated: 2014-11-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:42 | 880 yards | 01m 54s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/12
Overall: 37/340
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vortex
Course: 3-sided square course in reservoir. Promoted as half mile, but my Garmin had the distance in the water as over 1000 yards in 2010 and over 1100 yards today. Run out to timing mat is ~100 yards.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:55
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:43:33 | 14 miles | 19.29 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/12
Overall: 33/340
Per Garmin fenix 2: 14.56 miles/20.05 mph
Wind:
Course: Two loops of rolling terrain around perimeter of county park and airport.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:03
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:31:02 | 04.5 miles | 06m 54s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/12
Overall: 17/340
Per Garmin fenix 2: 4.59 miles - 6:46/mi.
Course: Concrete and asphalt circuit with some hills and a short out-and-back section.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-11-23 11:15 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Subject: Turkey Tri
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Turkey Tri Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Telos Turkey Tri

Started by UTTriman
Views: 1703 Posts: 9

2006-11-07 2:45 PM hangloose

Telos Turkey Tri

Started by runningfoo
Views: 1444 Posts: 6

2006-11-06 3:01 PM brappleye3

Telos Turkey Tri

Started by swynn
Views: 1303 Posts: 1

2005-11-24 10:25 PM swynn

Telos Turkey Tri

Started by runningfoo
Views: 1380 Posts: 1

2005-11-05 8:24 PM runningfoo

UVSC Turkey Tri/ Garrett Bardsley Fundraiser

Started by lifesgreat
Views: 1436 Posts: 11

2004-11-22 11:22 AM Browe79
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?

date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.
date : February 5, 2008
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
A product review of the Louis Garneau Tri Air Triathlon Shoe. After nearly two years of testing, see how this shoe performed. Currently being replaced by the Tri Air 2.

date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.
date : December 31, 2006
author : docgill
comments : 0
This life of mine is not so different from yours. It has a multitude of similarities. I suffer from uncertainty, I get nervous at the thought of registering and when getting to the starting line.

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.
date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.