Pro
Subject: RE: Age groupers and doping

Originally posted by yazmaster

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by GMAN 19030

Originally posted by gsmacleod
Originally posted by Hot Runner Does not surprise me--I'd guess it's more common than most suspect, particularly among older age groupers at the pointy end of things. A friend and I were talking about this recently--men can claim low T as a medical condition and sometimes get away with supplementation that may not be needed for medical reasons, but what do women do? We decided we just get old, and work harder for fewer results! But maybe this is what some of them do.....fortunately she got caught. As a young athlete and now as an AG competitor, I've had my suspicions from time to time, particularly when someone comes out of total obscurity, has a few amazing races, then you never see results again, but performance and talent are complex matters, and I guess it's always innocent until proven guilty. Just sad how some people get carried away-- in my mind the whole point of endurance sports is to be a healthy lifelong passion.
While they very well may get away with it, due to the fact that testing is incredibly rare for age groupers, that doesn't mean that they are competing legally. While AGers can get a retroactive therapeutic use exemption (TUE) for many things (unlike elites who need a TUE in place in order to compete legally), one thing they need a TUE in place for prior to competing is testosterone. Further, an athlete would need to have essentially no T in order to successful obtain a TUE and compete legally. While there are at least some AGers who are taking T, often prescribed by an anti-aging doc, there are few who are doing so within the rules of the sport. Shane

Bingo.  The percentage of T-usage in the male AG ranks is probably double or triple what anyone thinks it is and even higher at the pointy end of the M35+ AG ranks.  I'd be willing to bet 1/3 of the top 10% of each AG from M35-39 and above would fail a random drug test if administered.... perhaps higher.  The Low-T bull$hit is out of control.

Quick......name a single AG champion above the age of 35 in the last AG world championship.  Nobody cares. 

I have no idea why anyone in the AG ranks would use potentially dangerous (long term health) performance enhancing drugs to improve a performance nobody cares about.  That's about as silly as it gets.

I totally agree with you in that AG champions is NOT worth the gamble with health and rules to use steroids.

BUT, I can actually understand why these athletes would do it. When you're competing whether it be for a podium spot, or all time personal PR, and training hard, you're often busting your tail 15+ hours per week, for very small gains. And you're also spending thousands of dollars on little things that gain you seconds, like racing wheels, or dieting for months to lose 3 pounds to get 6sec/mile on your run. 

I could see how once someone working this hard sees that a few injections of an illegal substance dwarf all the thousands of dollars AND hundreds if not thousands of sacrificed hours training quite easily, how they would get addicted to it, health be danged. 

Health benefits are only a small reason of why most competitive athletes train as hard as they do. In fact, it's probably close to a nonfactor for most of them, whereas a few seconds here and there means everything to them in terms of their training. If I wanted to just train 'to be fit', I would require 30 minutes a day or less of easy running, and that would be it. 

I might be able to see your point if we are talking about a professional endeavor, or the Olympics, etc.  This is AG triathlon.....it's Wednesday night beer league softball for crying out loud. 

You talk as if amateurs shouldn't care about their results. Some of them don't podium but care a LOT. Heck, I care a lot and I'm nowhere near elite level, but I really consider it important to race to my personal standards. 

Along your reaosoning, your son, even though he's a national class youth triathlete, probably won't be the Kona world champion, really shouldn't care much how he does in the sport since he's not professionally racing or competing in the Olympics.

This is AG triathlon we are talkiing about, not elite triathlon, not olympic triathlon.  What I am saying is that AG triathlon is ONLY important to AG'ers......certainly not to anyone else.....and only important to USAT as a means of revenue to support development of international caliber athletes....that's what governing bodies do.  USA Cycling is not going to drug test participants in your local crit, time trials, etc.....because they don't care.  USA swimming is not going to test at master swim meets, high school swim meets, most amatuer swim meets, etc.  And USAT will never pay to test AG'ers to any level that will make a difference, if at all......why would they?  BUT....they will all test at the elite level.....because that IS what the various organizations are in place for, and it is important because of their goal of building and racing elite talent on the international level.

I understand that amatuers care about their results, as well they should.  But unless they can pull themselves up to the elite level nobody else does.....it's just a fact. And even with PED's 99% of the AG'ers can never reach elite staus anyway.  As for Kona.......that never makes our radar.  There is so much triathlon out there that I can honestly say Kona never even gets mentioned in our home.  There is no time to care about it.  We mostly live in a draft legal zone.

Since you asked, the latest and greatest for my kid is grand prix style triathlon racing, and swim club, and XC, and track.......he doesn't have time to care about doping in any race he does, or any sport he competes in......why would he?  His path doesn't include doping in any way except to be educated against ever doing it.  It may never come up for him, or make any difference at all.....that all depends on the level he can get himself to. If he is lucky mayeb one day he'll need to care.  AG racing is NOT that level.....no matter how much he wins.  The people who use PED's at the AG level probably understand that a lot more than you do.....they have no worries at all.

You and I porobably don't disagree much at all about how bad it is to cheat by doping.......I'm just a realist whenj it comes to enforcement.  USAT, USA swimming, USA cycling, or any other govening body, is NEVER going to pay to drug test their AG'ers to any level that would be a deterent.

2014-11-25 4:57 AM
in reply to: 0

Again, you clearly don't understand how seriously AGers in triathlon or cycling take their sport. 

Just because your son is 'elite speed' doesn't mean that he is so much more serious about the sport than some AGers, nor does it mean that speed correlates how seriously you take it.

Again, I am not in any way condoning doping, but to say that doping occurs only because you're racing so fast that your pro/elite is totally wrong.  

As well, you also have your info on AG testing in cycling incorrect. Doping checks in the AG division, despite the prohibitive cost, are being implemented at AG cycling races precisely because of a rash of AG dopers that turned up and continue to do so. Only then did it start spilling over to triathlon testing, and lo and behold, once they started testing, they started finding AGers failing the doping tests. You can believe what you want about the reality of doping, but it's unfortunately present (hopefully not widespread) and most likely will become more of an issue in future years as the cost of testing goes down and it becomes more prevalent in AG fields.

This is old news. When it makes headline news in the New York Times all they way back in 2012, you know it's not just a super rare niche event. Some of the folks who admit to doping in this article are Cat4 bike racers, which is pretty much entry level.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/28/sports/cycling/doping-in-cycling-reaches-into-amateur-ranks.html

Edited by yazmaster 2014-11-25 4:58 AM
2014-11-25 7:23 AM
in reply to: kocourek

It sort of brings into question if the USAT is beneficial to most of their members. If they only care about honest results at the elite, pro and national levels which is a small % are they meeting the needs for most of their members. I assume that a pretty good percentage of their revenue comes from AG membership fees. I assume that these fees in turn finance the the elite programs (at some level).

If AG members starting calling for more drug testing I would hope that the USAT would listen to their members wants and needs.

2014-11-25 7:47 AM
in reply to: yazmaster

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-11-25 7:49 AM
in reply to: Sidney Porter

2014-11-25 8:46 AM
in reply to: Fred D

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by Fred D

Again, you clearly don't understand how seriously AGers in triathlon or cycling take their sport. 

Just because your son is 'elite speed' doesn't mean that he is so much more serious about the sport than some AGers, nor does it mean that speed correlates how seriously you take it.

Again, I am not in any way condoning doping, but to say that doping occurs only because you're racing so fast that your pro/elite is totally wrong.  

As well, you also have your info on AG testing in cycling incorrect. Doping checks in the AG division, despite the prohibitive cost, are being implemented at AG cycling races precisely because of a rash of AG dopers that turned up and continue to do so. Only then did it start spilling over to triathlon testing, and lo and behold, once they started testing, they started finding AGers failing the doping tests. You can believe what you want about the reality of doping, but it's unfortunately present (hopefully not widespread) and most likely will become more of an issue in future years as the cost of testing goes down and it becomes more prevalent in AG fields.

This is old news. When it makes headline news in the New York Times all they way back in 2012, you know it's not just a super rare niche event. Some of the folks who admit to doping in this article are Cat4 bike racers, which is pretty much entry level.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/28/sports/cycling/doping-in-cycling-reaches-into-amateur-ranks.html

Completely agree.

I take what I do seriously. I love it. It has resulted in a very rewarding sport for me. I've met great friends thru the sport, including this site! I have a nice sponsorship deal based on some decent results as well. I like being part of that team (Zoot). It's stuff that is important to me and those close to me (by and large).

LB takes the POV that nothing matters at all unless it's world class athletics. I just don't agree with that. Maybe it's because his results aren't that great for himself, so he needs to put less emphasis on the importance of podiums, etc, either way, I respectfully disagree is all.

One thing he is right on though is that WTC and USAT are NOT going to start testing more frequently in the AG ranks:

Why?

1. Cost.
  2. You would be humiliating a lot of folks who give these entities a lot of money, which is not a great business model.
  3. In the end, there isn't a PUBLIC outcry for clean amateur sport the way there is about some high level pro/elite sports.

Again, I CARE. Just not so much that I lose any real sleep over it. I've accomplished a fair amount in my tri career, CLEAN. I'm proud of that and am looking forward to a solid 2015!

I think LB's comments are going completely over your head.  He understands that y'all care, he just thinks that NO ONE WHO ISN'T IN THE RACE gives a rats.

Why would USAT sink a bunch of money into something that would disqualify a large percentage of participants (aka their revenue stream), violate their privacy, and not even do anything.  As lance showed us for years, I can dope to my hearts content all offseason if all you do is test me on race day. The only people you will catch are the soccer moms and dads who took ibuprofen or sudaphed the night before the race

Just put in your work, be proud of your results, and accept that cheating may and probably does happen.

2014-11-25 10:02 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

2014-11-25 10:31 AM

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by Sidney Porter It sort of brings into question if the USAT is beneficial to most of their members. If they only care about honest results at the elite, pro and national levels which is a small % are they meeting the needs for most of their members. I assume that a pretty good percentage of their revenue comes from AG membership fees. I assume that these fees in turn finance the the elite programs (at some level). If AG members starting calling for more drug testing I would hope that the USAT would listen to their members wants and needs.

Dan Empfield over at ST has been very critical of USAT of late for this very thing.  USAT pretty much only cares about the elite/olympic level athletes but funds 98% of that activity through AG memberships and then kind of lies/misrepresents where the numbers come from.  He also ran a poll on ST that basically asked would you continue to have a USAT membership if it didn't cover your race day license fee.  90% said they would no longer be a member.  USAT is a piece of $hit organization in my mind and have been less than straightforward in their methods and have huge Board and governance problems.

2014-11-25 10:34 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by Sidney Porter It sort of brings into question if the USAT is beneficial to most of their members. If they only care about honest results at the elite, pro and national levels which is a small % are they meeting the needs for most of their members. I assume that a pretty good percentage of their revenue comes from AG membership fees. I assume that these fees in turn finance the the elite programs (at some level). If AG members starting calling for more drug testing I would hope that the USAT would listen to their members wants and needs.

Dan Empfield over at ST has been very critical of USAT of late for this very thing.  USAT pretty much only cares about the elite/olympic level athletes but funds 98% of that activity through AG memberships and then kind of lies/misrepresents where the numbers come from.  He also ran a poll on ST that basically asked would you continue to have a USAT membership if it didn't cover your race day license fee.  90% said they would no longer be a member.  USAT is a piece of $hit organization in my mind and have been less than straightforward in their methods and have huge Board and governance problems.

And don't forget have produced pretty sub par results, especially on the men's side.
2014-11-25 10:37 AM
in reply to: marcag

I know I'll probably get a lot of flack for this, but I personally think the whole "Age-group" thing has led a lot of people to think that their results are way more important or even better athletically than they really are.

Yes, I understand why people enjoy competition, and healthy competition at the recreational level is fun-- which is why I like to race. Taking it to the level of feeling like you need to dope to get better results is either taking it way more seriously than the results deserve, or just an ego/insecurity thing.
2014-11-25 10:45 AM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

2014-11-25 10:57 AM

Champion
Knoxville area
I'd think that if you post on an online forum dedicated to something... that something is important to you, whether you choose to believe it or not.

People have been cheating at games as long as there have been games. If you don't think people will cheat to "win" something (real or imaginary) then you have to get your head out of the sand.

Example... Video Games. New game with lots of hidden stuff comes out, developers plan to have lots of secrets hidden for weeks/months. Gamer gets ahold of it, datamines it and everything is on the net by the end of the day.

Edited by Leegoocrap 2014-11-25 11:05 AM
2014-11-25 12:43 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

Pro

Originally posted by jennifer_runs I know I'll probably get a lot of flack for this, but I personally think the whole "Age-group" thing has led a lot of people to think that their results are way more important or even better athletically than they really are. Yes, I understand why people enjoy competition, and healthy competition at the recreational level is fun-- which is why I like to race. Taking it to the level of feeling like you need to dope to get better results is either taking it way more seriously than the results deserve, or just an ego/insecurity thing.

Exactly. Right.

2014-11-25 1:04 PM

Edited by Fred D 2014-11-25 1:06 PM
2014-11-25 1:46 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

LB, the problem with your reasoning is that AGers are not worried about beating the elites or the pros and certainly not going to the Olympics. They are only worried about winning their AGE GROUP. I know you attend a lot of races with your kids and so your focus is there, but believe me, as an almost 50 year old woman, I am racing against people my age who want it just as bad.

Obviously it was very important to this woman to be the best that she could in her sphere of competition. By simply dismissing all age groupers as stupid for even caring about their results you are really not addressing the problem of doping. I mean, people take steroids to look better at the gym or at the local night club. There doesn't need to be a world championship on the line for competition to matter.

I cannot speak to how much drug testing costs but I would be very surprised if, in this day of being able to purchase drug tests over the counter at your local Walgreens, it would be prohibitively expensive. I would love to see testing like we used to do it in the horse racing business - winners get automatically tested and there is additional random testing throughout.

Patti in NJ
2014-11-25 2:19 PM
in reply to: Fred D

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Originally posted by Fred D

Completely agree.

I take what I do seriously. I love it. It has resulted in a very rewarding sport for me. I've met great friends thru the sport, including this site! I have a nice sponsorship deal based on some decent results as well. I like being part of that team (Zoot). It's stuff that is important to me and those close to me (by and large).

LB takes the POV that nothing matters at all unless it's world class athletics. I just don't agree with that. Maybe it's because his results aren't that great for himself, so he needs to put less emphasis on the importance of podiums, etc, either way, I respectfully disagree is all.

One thing he is right on though is that WTC and USAT are NOT going to start testing more frequently in the AG ranks:

Why?

1. Cost.
  2. You would be humiliating a lot of folks who give these entities a lot of money, which is not a great business model.
  3. In the end, there isn't a PUBLIC outcry for clean amateur sport the way there is about some high level pro/elite sports.

Again, I CARE. Just not so much that I lose any real sleep over it. I've accomplished a fair amount in my tri career, CLEAN. I'm proud of that and am looking forward to a solid 2015!

I think LB is not saying what you say in the first bolded but saying what you say in the second bolded text. And I agree.  Until there is a public outcry and/or membership outcry it won't change.  Why should it?  see your first two points which are essentially the same. 

LB... dangit!!!!  we have GOT to stop agreeing so much.  

2014-11-25 2:40 PM
in reply to: pugpenny

The whole thing about drug testing is that people have figured out how to get around the day of the event testing. It seem like when people are caught it is the random out of season testing. My understanding is that elite and pro's need to make themselves available within 24 hours at any point. AG people are not going to sign on for getting a phone call and needing to give a sample on a random Tuesday. What you will be left with is catching people who took cold medicine the day of the event.
2014-11-25 3:07 PM

Pro

Originally posted by pugpenny LB, the problem with your reasoning is that AGers are not worried about beating the elites or the pros and certainly not going to the Olympics. They are only worried about winning their AGE GROUP. I know you attend a lot of races with your kids and so your focus is there, but believe me, as an almost 50 year old woman, I am racing against people my age who want it just as bad. Obviously it was very important to this woman to be the best that she could in her sphere of competition. By simply dismissing all age groupers as stupid for even caring about their results you are really not addressing the problem of doping. I mean, people take steroids to look better at the gym or at the local night club. There doesn't need to be a world championship on the line for competition to matter. I cannot speak to how much drug testing costs but I would be very surprised if, in this day of being able to purchase drug tests over the counter at your local Walgreens, it would be prohibitively expensive. I would love to see testing like we used to do it in the horse racing business - winners get automatically tested and there is additional random testing throughout. Patti in NJ

Well, either your not following my reasoning or I'm not making myself clear.....so I'll try again.  Nobody cares about the 50 year old AG'er winning their AG.  And what I mean by nobody, in addition to the overwhelming majority of people who don't even know what a triathlon is, is USAT.... and the governing bodies of any other sports when it comes to AG racing.  THEY DON'T CARE.  They will not spend a single dime to try to eradicate doping in the AG ranks.  Why should they? 

You all might as well face the facts......if it were not for the development of Olympic and International athletes there would be no USAT, no USA Swimming, no USA Track and Field, no USA Cycling, blah,blah,blah.  These organizations exist for the development of Olympic and International caliber athletes......we pay the bill, that's how it works.  I didn't know it was such a secret.  If anyopne honestly believes that USAT is going to foot the bill to try and find out if a 50 year old from anytown, USA is doping to win his AG at the Joeblow triathlon you are delusional.

When did I say that AG'ers don't care about their race?  But how much DO you care?  Are you willing to pay yearly dues of $300-500 or more so that testing can be put in place?  I'm not, because I don't care to psend that money on dope testing AG'ers.   I teach my kid not to care.....I tell him to just go race, and if you get to the point where it matters then you can worry about it.   Do I care about people doping or cheating?  Sure I do, in races that matter to the governing bodies of various sports (Olympic qualifying races or series,  the Olympics, etc).....because those athletes represent the best our country has to offer, and I want the playing field to be equal on that international level against athletes from other countries.....it's a matter of National pride.. But USAT and other governing bodies already take care of testing at those levels, as they should. I understand if AG racing is so important to you that you want dopers identified and weeded out........but you're fighting windmills. Just go race and have fun.

AG triathlon is beer league softball......who cares if the Home Run leader in the Wednesday night league uses steroids?

Edited by Left Brain 2014-11-25 3:12 PM
2014-11-25 3:29 PM

Perhaps I initially misunderstood your reasoning that USAT does not care about age group athletes.... well not enough to drug test anyway. Do you - or anyone on this forum - know how much it costs to drug test at the larger events? I would be interested to know the cost.

I am also interested in why South Africa IS interested enough in AG competition to go ahead and test the woman in the original post?

2014-11-25 3:36 PM
in reply to: marcag

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by marcag

And don't forget have produced pretty sub par results, especially on the men's side.

And the very successful ones are coached by non-americans.
2014-11-25 3:40 PM
in reply to: pugpenny

Originally posted by pugpenny

Perhaps I initially misunderstood your reasoning that USAT does not care about age group athletes.... well not enough to drug test anyway. Do you - or anyone on this forum - know how much it costs to drug test at the larger events? I would be interested to know the cost.

I am also interested in why South Africa IS interested enough in AG competition to go ahead and test the woman in the original post?

For comparison a home steroid test is about $140. A normal home drug test is less than $10 (for 12 drugs) less than $4 for the (5 drugs)
http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/steroidconfirm-steroid-abuse-urine...
http://www.homehealthtesting.com/home-drug-test-way-urine-test-p-10...
http://www.homehealthtesting.com/way-urine-drug-test-strip-p-110.ht...

2014-11-25 3:46 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

Pro

Originally posted by bcagle25

Meh....most of our best gymnasts aren't coached by Americans.  In fact, you can say that about a lot of sports.  Soccer, hockey, etc.

USAT is a great organization......but it has more whiners, per capita, than any sport organization I can think of.

2014-11-25 3:59 PM

Originally posted by Sidney Porter

Originally posted by pugpenny

For comparison a home steroid test is about $140. A normal home drug test is less than $10 (for 12 drugs) less than $4 for the (5 drugs)
http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/steroidconfirm-steroid-abuse-urine...
http://www.homehealthtesting.com/home-drug-test-way-urine-test-p-10...
http://www.homehealthtesting.com/way-urine-drug-test-strip-p-110.ht...

Looks like you can get a steroid test for $80
http://www.amazon.com/At-Home-Steroid-Test-1-Count/dp/B001W6R1WG
I am taking it to my next group ride.
2014-11-25 4:05 PM

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

Meh....most of our best gymnasts aren't coached by Americans.  In fact, you can say that about a lot of sports.  Soccer, hockey, etc.

USAT is a great organization......but it has more whiners, per capita, than any sport organization I can think of.

USAT is an IMPROVING organization, not great.
2014-11-25 4:46 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

Pro

USAT is an IMPROVING organization, not great.

I don't know of any organization that can't improve.  I end up dealing with someone from there a half dozen times or more per year.......excellent people to work with!  It's dues paying members??......not so much. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Age groupers and doping Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

Another Age Grouper Doping Case - Tri This Time Pages: 1 2 3

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 6820 Posts: 54

2012-10-24 1:17 PM gsmacleod

Age groupers that should compete as novice or Elite

Started by snowriderinfl
Views: 1293 Posts: 13

2009-05-02 10:21 AM gearboy

Doping and Age Groupers Pages: 1 2

Started by scoobysdad
Views: 3142 Posts: 50

2007-07-25 12:44 PM Broompatrol

Sponsor Looking for Age Groupers

Started by berlinsd
Views: 1375 Posts: 8

2006-09-07 10:23 AM MikeTheBear

first timer or age grouper?

Started by bmacmanus
Views: 565 Posts: 3

2005-11-04 9:12 AM runnergirl29
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 18, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
BT amateurs compete in San Diego race on the world stage.

date : October 21, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
Part Three: What's Reality Got to Do with Anything Old?
date : September 16, 2011
Part Two: On Appreciation and Acceptance. At some point your body will let you down. Then you have to decide whether it is really the enemy.

date : August 19, 2011
comments : 1
Part One: On Speed, Desire and Age. There are some advantages to running slowly. Now, give me a minute here and I'll try to think of one.
date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing

date : March 10, 2011
comments : 1
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete
date : March 22, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on running muscle imbalance correction, water running, overdistance training, back-to-back Olys, maintenance plans and speed and common age-grouper mistakes.

date : May 3, 2005
author : infosteward
Can the USAT serve its 50,000+ members largely made up of weekend warriors in search of age-group hardware, while catering to the small percent of elite or pro athletes?