General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Age groupers and doping Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2014-11-24 12:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Age groupers and doping
I was relaxing at home when I saw an article on the webpage of our local triathlon society that one of our top local female age groupers tested pos. for the steroids Clenbuterol and Phentermine. Really? Why would it be necessary for someone to do that at nearly 50 years of age to use stuff like that? I can still understand that Clenbuterol can find its way into fat burning supplements. It happens more often that you think

The killer in this deal is Phentermine, its an appetite suppressant, that as I understand it works in the brain to suppress those hunger pangs. Very expensive drug and you will not find that in any off the shelf fat burner.
I have always admired the athlete concerned, She was a great competitor, killer on the bike. Now I know why

Banned for 2 years.
My respect and respect of others. Lost

Guess there will be a S-Works with deep section Zipps on the market fairly soon.

I love to compete, its a good feeling to win. Sure as hell not worth that price though.

2014-11-24 6:25 AM
in reply to: kocourek

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Age groupers and doping
Does not surprise me--I'd guess it's more common than most suspect, particularly among older age groupers at the pointy end of things. A friend and I were talking about this recently--men can claim low T as a medical condition and sometimes get away with supplementation that may not be needed for medical reasons, but what do women do? We decided we just get old, and work harder for fewer results!

But maybe this is what some of them do.....fortunately she got caught. As a young athlete and now as an AG competitor, I've had my suspicions from time to time, particularly when someone comes out of total obscurity, has a few amazing races, then you never see results again, but performance and talent are complex matters, and I guess it's always innocent until proven guilty.

Just sad how some people get carried away-- in my mind the whole point of endurance sports is to be a healthy lifelong passion.
2014-11-24 6:55 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Does not surprise me--I'd guess it's more common than most suspect, particularly among older age groupers at the pointy end of things. A friend and I were talking about this recently--men can claim low T as a medical condition and sometimes get away with supplementation that may not be needed for medical reasons, but what do women do? We decided we just get old, and work harder for fewer results!

But maybe this is what some of them do.....fortunately she got caught. As a young athlete and now as an AG competitor, I've had my suspicions from time to time, particularly when someone comes out of total obscurity, has a few amazing races, then you never see results again, but performance and talent are complex matters, and I guess it's always innocent until proven guilty.

Just sad how some people get carried away-- in my mind the whole point of endurance sports is to be a healthy lifelong passion.

While they very well may get away with it, due to the fact that testing is incredibly rare for age groupers, that doesn't mean that they are competing legally. While AGers can get a retroactive therapeutic use exemption (TUE) for many things (unlike elites who need a TUE in place in order to compete legally), one thing they need a TUE in place for prior to competing is testosterone. Further, an athlete would need to have essentially no T in order to successful obtain a TUE and compete legally. While there are at least some AGers who are taking T, often prescribed by an anti-aging doc, there are few who are doing so within the rules of the sport.

Shane
2014-11-24 8:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by kocourek

I was relaxing at home when I saw an article on the webpage of our local triathlon society that one of our top local female age groupers tested pos. for the steroids Clenbuterol and Phentermine. Really? Why would it be necessary for someone to do that at nearly 50 years of age to use stuff like that? I can still understand that Clenbuterol can find its way into fat burning supplements. It happens more often that you think

The killer in this deal is Phentermine, its an appetite suppressant, that as I understand it works in the brain to suppress those hunger pangs. Very expensive drug and you will not find that in any off the shelf fat burner.
I have always admired the athlete concerned, She was a great competitor, killer on the bike. Now I know why

Banned for 2 years.
My respect and respect of others. Lost

Guess there will be a S-Works with deep section Zipps on the market fairly soon.

I love to compete, its a good feeling to win. Sure as hell not worth that price though.

In Germany they are talking about laws that would make it criminal to dope. For both foreigners and locals. Fail a drug test and you can go to prison. That should be interesting if it passes. I love the Germans for this kind of stuff. No mucking around.

There have been studies that show a significant number of people do dope. Strange but true.
2014-11-24 8:51 AM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

it happens.  i'm almost 100% positive a cycling friend of mine knowingly dopes, not EPO, T, or steroids, but other over the counter products that are banned and when combined give you a pretty big edge.  he once offered me ephedrine before a training ride... pass.

some people will do anything i guess. 

2014-11-24 8:53 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

I didn't realize that clenbuterol was used for fat burning. It is a bronchiodialator and used to treat asthma and other respiratory problems. If someone is doping with it, that is probably why (much like Contador's albuterol). Open up the lungs and get more air into the body.
Unfortunately, it doesn't surprise me that people would cheat at any level. I am surprised that people are being tested at local races, though.

2014-11-24 8:53 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by kocourek I was relaxing at home when I saw an article on the webpage of our local triathlon society that one of our top local female age groupers tested pos. for the steroids Clenbuterol and Phentermine. Really? Why would it be necessary for someone to do that at nearly 50 years of age to use stuff like that? I can still understand that Clenbuterol can find its way into fat burning supplements. It happens more often that you think The killer in this deal is Phentermine, its an appetite suppressant, that as I understand it works in the brain to suppress those hunger pangs. Very expensive drug and you will not find that in any off the shelf fat burner. I have always admired the athlete concerned, She was a great competitor, killer on the bike. Now I know why Banned for 2 years. My respect and respect of others. Lost Guess there will be a S-Works with deep section Zipps on the market fairly soon. I love to compete, its a good feeling to win. Sure as hell not worth that price though.
In Germany they are talking about laws that would make it criminal to dope. For both foreigners and locals. Fail a drug test and you can go to prison. That should be interesting if it passes. I love the Germans for this kind of stuff. No mucking around. There have been studies that show a significant number of people do dope. Strange but true.

that's interesting.  doping in sports is more like a rule violation than illegal activity.  it's cheating, not criminal activity; that same reasoning could be extrapolated to require community service for course cutting or wearing headphones in the local 5k. 

Edited by Clempson 2014-11-24 8:53 AM
2014-11-24 8:56 AM
in reply to: Clempson

It's a bastard when you have genuinely.. cleanly been trying to qualify for some years & you just know others are banging in the crap...
2014-11-24 9:12 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

From the press release on the Triathlon SA webite, it sounds like it is this person's third offense.  If so, why only a two year ban?  My first reaction would be to impose a lifetime ban from any WADA sport (triathlon, swimming, track & field, etc.).  

Then again, cheaters don't expect to get caught, so maybe even a lifetime ban wouldn't be enough of a deterent.  But maybe it would at least help make the playing field a bit more level for honest athletes. 

Mark

Edited by RedCorvette 2014-11-24 9:17 AM
2014-11-24 9:17 AM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by Clempson

Originally posted by kocourek I was relaxing at home when I saw an article on the webpage of our local triathlon society that one of our top local female age groupers tested pos. for the steroids Clenbuterol and Phentermine. Really? Why would it be necessary for someone to do that at nearly 50 years of age to use stuff like that? I can still understand that Clenbuterol can find its way into fat burning supplements. It happens more often that you think The killer in this deal is Phentermine, its an appetite suppressant, that as I understand it works in the brain to suppress those hunger pangs. Very expensive drug and you will not find that in any off the shelf fat burner. I have always admired the athlete concerned, She was a great competitor, killer on the bike. Now I know why Banned for 2 years. My respect and respect of others. Lost Guess there will be a S-Works with deep section Zipps on the market fairly soon. I love to compete, its a good feeling to win. Sure as hell not worth that price though.
In Germany they are talking about laws that would make it criminal to dope. For both foreigners and locals. Fail a drug test and you can go to prison. That should be interesting if it passes. I love the Germans for this kind of stuff. No mucking around. There have been studies that show a significant number of people do dope. Strange but true.

that's interesting.  doping in sports is more like a rule violation than illegal activity.  it's cheating, not criminal activity; that same reasoning could be extrapolated to require community service for course cutting or wearing headphones in the local 5k. 

I figure drafting in a tri should be worth at least 30 days in the county jail...

Mark

2014-11-24 9:19 AM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Pro

I think AG doping for performance enhancement is one of the strangest, goofiest, most ridiculous things I can think of.  BUT.....until USAT (and other governing bodies) actually care, and I don't know what the motivation to care might be.......it is here to stay.

I think USAT is a fantastic organization.....but I don't see any evidence that they care about AG'ers doping.  Then again,  I don't really see any reason why they would.

2014-11-24 9:31 AM

User image

Exton, PA
It's amazing to me that AG'ers dope, since most of us do this to be healthy and stay in shape. The races give us motivation to continue. Then some are doping which ultimately compromises their health WTF.

Can't fix stupid

Edited by mike761 2014-11-24 9:32 AM
2014-11-24 10:26 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by mike761 It's amazing to me that AG'ers dope, since most of us do this to be healthy and stay in shape. The races give us motivation to continue. Then some are doping which ultimately compromises their health WTF. Can't fix stupid

Agree.  At age 61 and having faced a number of health issues during my life, I can't imagine putting something in my body that might risk my health.  Especially since I could dope to the gills and still not get to the FOP on a regular basis. 

Best things that have worked for me are learning to train more consistently and aging up with correspondingly smaller fields.

Mark

2014-11-24 10:43 AM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
I am sure it goes on especially in the slightly advancing age groups, I could never understand it myself to me you are just cheating yourself because you are not really performing how you should be because of the enhancement of the drugs. People need to learn to deal with what you have and how to train to use what you do have as best as you can. I have never really understood the need to need to be a top competitor, sure I like to do well in my AG but I don't have an unending desire to podium at any cost and if I finish dead last then so be it I won't be happy about it but I am not going to start doping to try and improve, if I am performing as well or better then the last time out the then great if not , then If I gave it my best shot and wasn't holding anything back then I don't have any thing to complain about I went out did what I could and finished up as best as I could..
2014-11-24 11:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

If it passes it will be interesting to see how they enforce it and if it changes the way people behave.
They don't even need to police it. Just knowing you could go to jail/be fined if WADA tests you may be enough to have people stop.
A pro who dopes may think twice about racing in Germany.

Legal consequences of someone doping may be a deterrent and part of the solution. I know a lot of people poopoo the cleaner protocol stuff but they have some interesting concepts in there. Maybe some of them can be applied.

Edited by marcag 2014-11-24 11:13 AM
2014-11-24 11:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by gsmacleod
Originally posted by Hot Runner Does not surprise me--I'd guess it's more common than most suspect, particularly among older age groupers at the pointy end of things. A friend and I were talking about this recently--men can claim low T as a medical condition and sometimes get away with supplementation that may not be needed for medical reasons, but what do women do? We decided we just get old, and work harder for fewer results! But maybe this is what some of them do.....fortunately she got caught. As a young athlete and now as an AG competitor, I've had my suspicions from time to time, particularly when someone comes out of total obscurity, has a few amazing races, then you never see results again, but performance and talent are complex matters, and I guess it's always innocent until proven guilty. Just sad how some people get carried away-- in my mind the whole point of endurance sports is to be a healthy lifelong passion.
While they very well may get away with it, due to the fact that testing is incredibly rare for age groupers, that doesn't mean that they are competing legally. While AGers can get a retroactive therapeutic use exemption (TUE) for many things (unlike elites who need a TUE in place in order to compete legally), one thing they need a TUE in place for prior to competing is testosterone. Further, an athlete would need to have essentially no T in order to successful obtain a TUE and compete legally. While there are at least some AGers who are taking T, often prescribed by an anti-aging doc, there are few who are doing so within the rules of the sport. Shane

Bingo.  The percentage of T-usage in the male AG ranks is probably double or triple what anyone thinks it is and even higher at the pointy end of the M35+ AG ranks.  I'd be willing to bet 1/3 to 1/2 of the top 10% of each AG from M35-39 and above would fail a random drug test if administered.... perhaps higher.  The Low-T bull$hit is out of control.

Edited by GMAN 19030 2014-11-24 11:50 AM

2014-11-24 11:47 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

i've been told from a pretty good source that the USAT internal estimate of men doping with T is ~30% of the male participants who are 40+.  that is why there will never be any widespread testing; why remove 30% of your largest customer base?

2014-11-24 11:49 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by GMAN 19030

Originally posted by gsmacleod
Originally posted by Hot Runner Does not surprise me--I'd guess it's more common than most suspect, particularly among older age groupers at the pointy end of things. A friend and I were talking about this recently--men can claim low T as a medical condition and sometimes get away with supplementation that may not be needed for medical reasons, but what do women do? We decided we just get old, and work harder for fewer results! But maybe this is what some of them do.....fortunately she got caught. As a young athlete and now as an AG competitor, I've had my suspicions from time to time, particularly when someone comes out of total obscurity, has a few amazing races, then you never see results again, but performance and talent are complex matters, and I guess it's always innocent until proven guilty. Just sad how some people get carried away-- in my mind the whole point of endurance sports is to be a healthy lifelong passion.
While they very well may get away with it, due to the fact that testing is incredibly rare for age groupers, that doesn't mean that they are competing legally. While AGers can get a retroactive therapeutic use exemption (TUE) for many things (unlike elites who need a TUE in place in order to compete legally), one thing they need a TUE in place for prior to competing is testosterone. Further, an athlete would need to have essentially no T in order to successful obtain a TUE and compete legally. While there are at least some AGers who are taking T, often prescribed by an anti-aging doc, there are few who are doing so within the rules of the sport. Shane

Bingo.  The percentage of T-usage in the male AG ranks is probably double or triple what anyone thinks it is and even higher at the pointy end of the M35+ AG ranks.  I'd be willing to bet 1/3 of the top 10% of each AG from M35-39 and above would fail a random drug test if administered.... perhaps higher.  The Low-T bull$hit is out of control.

Quick......name a single AG champion above the age of 35 in the last AG world championship.  Nobody cares. 

I have no idea why anyone in the AG ranks would use potentially dangerous (long term health) performance enhancing drugs to improve a performance nobody cares about.  That's about as silly as it gets.

2014-11-24 11:59 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by Left Brain

Quick......name a single AG champion above the age of 35 in the last AG world championship.  Nobody cares. 

I have no idea why anyone in the AG ranks would use potentially dangerous (long term health) performance enhancing drugs to improve a performance nobody cares about.  That's about as silly as it gets.

I get that but the 60-70% of us not cheating would like a level playing field.  If I'm getting my butt kicked by someone I would like the reasons to be they're physically more talented than I am and/or worked harder than me.  I don't want it to be because they have loose ethics and morals and decide to cheat at amateur racing for whatever vain reason they're doing it.  I'm with you.  I get cheating at the professional ranks in any sport.  Don't condone it but I get it.  Money, fame, glory, and all that is a powerful incentive.  Cheating to podium the M45-49 AG at the Local Yocal Triathlon is just absurd.

2014-11-24 12:17 PM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina

i've been told from a pretty good source that the USAT internal estimate of men doping with T is ~30% of the male participants who are 40+.  that is why there will never be any widespread testing; why remove 30% of your largest customer base?

Exactly my thoughts. They (USAT) would be biting the hand that feeds them should they decide to test more AGers.

On other forums, the general consensus is that it's (dopting) way more prevalent than you'd think. It's pretty sad. I have to work my tail off to get results.

Edited by d00d 2014-11-24 12:20 PM
2014-11-24 12:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I get that but the 60-70% of us not cheating would like a level playing field.  If I'm getting my butt kicked by someone I would like the reasons to be they're physically more talented than I am and/or worked harder than me.  I don't want it to be because they have loose ethics and morals and decide to cheat at amateur racing for whatever vain reason they're doing it.  I'm with you.  I get cheating at the professional ranks in any sport.  Don't condone it but I get it.  Money, fame, glory, and all that is a powerful incentive.  Cheating to podium the M45-49 AG at the Local Yocal Triathlon is just absurd.

Gman, you're at the pointier end of the field, in contention for a WC spot. Do you care ? Not do you lose sleep over it, but do you care ?

2014-11-24 12:18 PM

User image

Pro

Oh, I get your point as well, and I agree.  The problem is, USAT does not care about doping in the AG ranks......they probably can't afford to care.   (again, in no way is that comment a slap at USAT....I can't figure out why they would care either and they do a great job with their races, athlete development, customer service, etc.)

2014-11-24 12:20 PM

My goal being to be as healthy as possible, I would definitively not touch that. My guess is her goals were completely different and don't correspond most of posters here. Body shaping, podium...

With that said, are triathlon open to people on medications? Do they get exemptions, get automatically disqualification, are prevented from entering? Or does it depend on which triathlon you compete in. I kind of assume they apply rules much more diligently to people with high potential then to recreational triathletes.

Edited by Antoine tri 2014-11-24 12:24 PM
2014-11-24 12:21 PM

User image

Exton, PA

If there was a desire to dope in the AG ranks than I would be the one that should feel that pressure. As I usually place 4th or 5th in sprints and Olympics(45-49). Yet I have absolutely no desire to go that route. I do wonder after most events if the 3 or 4 guys ahead of me were clean or not. I know people who have doped(they told me), I've seen people cut coarses, I just don't get it.

2014-11-24 12:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Gman, you're at the pointier end of the field, in contention for a WC spot. Do you care ? Not do you lose sleep over it, but do you care ?

I'm a roll down slot at best at this stage of the game but a 70.3 slot is not completely out of the question for me if the stars aligned.  So I do care to some degree.  In my Utopian world we would all be racing clean but I'm a pragmatist so I get the reality.  If I ended up a few spots out of contention I'd wonder about some of the guys ahead of me, especially knowing that odds are 1/3 or more of them were jacked up on T.  I wouldn't lose sleep over it but I'd be irked.

Edited by GMAN 19030 2014-11-24 12:36 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Age groupers and doping Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

Another Age Grouper Doping Case - Tri This Time Pages: 1 2 3

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 6819 Posts: 54

2012-10-24 1:17 PM gsmacleod

Age groupers that should compete as novice or Elite

Started by snowriderinfl
Views: 1292 Posts: 13

2009-05-02 10:21 AM gearboy

Doping and Age Groupers Pages: 1 2

Started by scoobysdad
Views: 3142 Posts: 50

2007-07-25 12:44 PM Broompatrol

Sponsor Looking for Age Groupers

Started by berlinsd
Views: 1375 Posts: 8

2006-09-07 10:23 AM MikeTheBear

first timer or age grouper?

Started by bmacmanus
Views: 565 Posts: 3

2005-11-04 9:12 AM runnergirl29
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 18, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
BT amateurs compete in San Diego race on the world stage.

date : October 21, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
Part Three: What's Reality Got to Do with Anything Old?
date : September 16, 2011
Part Two: On Appreciation and Acceptance. At some point your body will let you down. Then you have to decide whether it is really the enemy.

date : August 19, 2011
comments : 1
Part One: On Speed, Desire and Age. There are some advantages to running slowly. Now, give me a minute here and I'll try to think of one.
date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing

date : March 10, 2011
comments : 1
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete
date : March 22, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on running muscle imbalance correction, water running, overdistance training, back-to-back Olys, maintenance plans and speed and common age-grouper mistakes.

date : May 3, 2005
author : infosteward
Can the USAT serve its 50,000+ members largely made up of weekend warriors in search of age-group hardware, while catering to the small percent of elite or pro athletes?