General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Key West Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-11-24 11:51 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: Key West Triathlon
Anyone out there doing the Key West Triathlon? It will be my first time for this one. I have run the course before however, and along the water on the South end of the island can get really hot. I'm hoping for cool weather.

2014-11-25 9:38 AM
in reply to: 3mar

New user
Key West
Subject: RE: Key West Triathlon
Yes, I am. I have done all of the TRIKW races since they started. This year just doing the Sprint though since it was my year for marathons (ran two June and November) and just got on my bike for the first time in 8 months last weekend. Always a fun TRI. This year the course goes back to the way it was year before last. The Oly bike portion will go onto the Naval Air Station instead of having to do loops. Water is still warm but we have a few cool days coming up, so it might drop a couple of degrees.
2014-11-25 11:29 AM
in reply to: topolina

User image

Katy, Texas
I did a google search and it showed a water temp at Key West of 77.2 degrees. Now, I don't know where this was taken, but hopefully this will make it wetsuit legal. I live in Key Largo and it has been steaming hot the last two days, but the forecast says it will cool down for the next week, so here's hoping. I got a hotel so i don't have to worry about driving down the morning of. Any pointers for the race?

Good luck!!
2014-11-25 4:34 PM

User image

New user
Hollywood, FL
Originally posted by 3mar

I did a google search and it showed a water temp at Key West of 77.2 degrees. Now, I don't know where this was taken, but hopefully this will make it wetsuit legal.

Here's a great resource for accurate water temperatures: http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/physocean.html?id=8724580
2014-11-25 5:43 PM
in reply to: ccjr

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by ccjr

Originally posted by 3mar

I did a google search and it showed a water temp at Key West of 77.2 degrees. Now, I don't know where this was taken, but hopefully this will make it wetsuit legal.

Here's a great resource for accurate water temperatures: http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/physocean.html?id=8724580

Thanks for the link. It looks like it was way below 78 until yesterday and now it's up to 80. It's been hot here, but I didn't think it was that hot. Well, here's hoping for a cold snap before the race...and by "cold snap" I mean a week in the 70's.
2014-11-26 6:15 AM

New user
Key West
Well I hope it is wetsuit legal, it always has been. I haven't checked the tides yet, but I can tell you that the swim portion starts and ends in pretty shallow water so a lot of people run quite a while at the beginning and end. The bike course is pretty good and assuming you are doing the OLY, when you are on the Air Station there will be some tight turns and course that winds around. I haven't looked to see if they have the updated maps up on the Site. The run is flat as can be and right along the beach.

The awards party isn't until later in the evening at Charlie Mac's but it is fun and is just a half block from Duval where the Holiday Parade will be going on. Not too many places in the country where you can race a triathlon and watch a Holiday Parade on the same day.

2014-11-30 5:03 PM

The water has definitely cooled off and is down right cold 70 degrees. I can't imagine swimming without a wetsuit. Looks like it will still be breezy for Saturday, but warm.
2014-12-01 5:50 AM
in reply to: mako6240

New user
Key West
Originally posted by mako6240

The water has definitely cooled off and is down right cold 70 degrees. I can't imagine swimming without a wetsuit. Looks like it will still be breezy for Saturday, but warm.

The water temp will definitely warm back up by Saturday since the week is going to be warm, but it will still be wetsuit legal. Should be sunny and right at our normal temps by Saturday.
2014-12-01 5:54 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by topolina

Originally posted by mako6240

The water temp will definitely warm back up by Saturday since the week is going to be warm, but it will still be wetsuit legal. Should be sunny and right at our normal temps by Saturday.

We've been getting a ton of wind up in Key Largo. It's been 15-25 mph everyday for over a week and a half. Has it been as windy down there?
2014-12-01 11:59 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
One other question for those of you who have done this race before; how accurate has the distance been in the past? I've noticed that most races are long or short in one or all disciplines. From the online maps, it appears right on a standard Oly distance, but want to verify so I know how to pace.
2014-12-01 4:56 PM

Yes, it has been blowing like that down here.

2014-12-02 6:11 AM
in reply to: mako6240

New user
Key West
Yes, it is supposed to be breezy on Saturday, so that is a bit of a negative, especially for the bike portion out on US 1. I have never noticed a glaring issue with the course being too long or short. If it was going to happen anywhere in the race, it would be on the swim, but this is the 5th year and the 4th with this particular course, so they have this down to as much of a science as they can.

The water temp inched up yesterday to 71.1, so it should be up to at least 73, I hope, by Saturday. We have a full moon on the 6th, so we should have a nice morning setting up, etc.
2014-12-04 5:24 AM

New user
Key West
Water temp is now back up to 73 and likely to go up a bit. I'm a whimp, so that is all good with me. Forecast looks like the wind might not be too bad now. Good luck and have fun!
2014-12-04 8:47 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Things certainly seem to be shaping up for a great race. The water temp is still at 73, so it looks good for wetsuits. The wind forecasts seem to agree that for winds between 10-15 mph, which I'll take any day of the week considering the last couple of weeks it's been 20+ in the upper Keys. The temp should be in the mid 70's which is about as much as I think we could hope for. The only thing that would make it better would be for it to be cloudy, but that would just be getting greedy.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Key West Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tri Key West Olympic Triathlon : Official Thread

Started by Turnin2
Views: 3051 Posts: 14

2012-01-16 9:27 AM islandflyer

Key West Triathlon 2010

Started by Turnin2
Views: 2530 Posts: 8

2010-12-19 9:38 PM scottuf

Key West Sprint Triathlon

Started by pburnett
Views: 1272 Posts: 5

2010-03-15 8:41 AM pburnett

Half Shell Half Marathon - Key West - Anyone?

Started by BikerGrrrl
Views: 1261 Posts: 5

2008-02-06 12:48 PM csh_01

Swim around Key West

Started by Lucy
Views: 798 Posts: 3

2006-02-13 4:35 PM betsybromley
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 11, 2007
author : Cinci41
comments : 1
My thinking was that with three events, I could vary my training enough so it wouldn't grow stale prior to seeing positive results and finding the additional motivation I needed to continue training.

date : April 11, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
comments : 1
Have a goal when you get into the water. If your purpose is distance, then set your pace for endurance. If your objective is speed, then incorporate drills.
date : July 31, 2005
comments : 5
Your self-image serves as the operating instructions of your subconscious computer. If you don’t change the operating system, you will be doomed to repeat your past mistakes.