General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Newbie from KC MO Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-11-24 5:04 PM

User image

Subject: Newbie from KC MO
Hello everyone. I've completed a few 5Ks with my wife and my next goal is a triathlon. I've got a Sprint scheduled on March 1st (it's indoors) and cannot wait.

Doing a tri is something I've wanted to do for years, but I always had an excuse. Either I was too busy, or too out of shape, or didn't have a bike. This year I finally decided to do it and pulled the trigger on an entry level road bike (since I had to buy one anyways, I figured I might as well go with a cheaper road bike).

My first tri was scheduled for this past August - the Matt Mason Sprint tri at Smithville Lake. Unfortunately, it was cancelled on race day due to lightning and rain. To say I was disappointed would be a huge understatement. For a few weeks after it happened I was thinking along the lines of "Well, maybe I'm just not meant to do a tri; why bother with more training?". Eventually, though, my thoughts turned from that and I realized it was maybe a good thing it was cancelled; I'd only been training since mid-June, and now I could get months of training under my belt before my first tri.

My training this summer was very hodge podge with no real "plan", so to speak. I just went out and did what I wanted. That's why I joined here; I've got a training plan selected and will be sticking to it.

As far as the three events go, I come from a swimming background (swam competitively for 8 years), so I'm not worried about the swim portion. I'm most worried about the bike leg; I'm still getting used to clipping in and out and am still very fearful of falling (which has already happened more than once). I've got my bike on a trainer how, so hopefully practice this winter will help things go smoothly once the weather warms up enough that I feel like riding outside again.

2014-11-24 5:59 PM
in reply to: #5069717

Subject: RE: Newbie from KC MO
Greetings from Atlanta!! Good luck with your training plan. Are you following one of the training plans on here? As a competitive swimmer do you have any tips for a swimmer who has never competed. I can paddle like nobody's business on a surf board but that's it! LOL. I have whT I think is a decent breast stroke but free style I always struggle with my breathing. Any tips there? Thanks and good luck!!
2014-11-24 7:37 PM
in reply to: #5069727

User image

I am doing one of the training plans from this site. I'm planning on starting it on December 8th (after Thanksgiving and our trip to a B&B for our anniversary). I figure I'll keep doing random workouts in the interim.

As far as tips on swimming: please keep in mind I'm no coach. I've learned how to swim effectively (for me anyway), but I've got problems translating that knowledge to other people. That being said, the biggest piece of advice I can give is to master the breathing. Obviously I haven't seen you swim so I have no idea how you breathe while swimming, but most new swimmers simply look up to breath (as if you were looking at something on the ceiling above you). This is not what you want to do, as it slows down your momentum and makes it easier to suck in a mouthful of water instead of air. The best way I can describe what you need to do is to tell you to twist your upper body to one side (whichever is most comfortable for you). Essentially you're trying to twist your upper body while keeping your lower body aligned as it is. Do this as the arm on the side you're breathing on is under water, pulling towards your feet. Once your body is turned, turn your head as far as it will go to the side, then breathe.

It is also important to breathe out all the air in your lungs while your head is underwater. This precludes having to do it while your head is out of the water, which is always a good thing.

I hope that helps some! As I said, I'm no coach, but I hope I can help some.
2014-12-16 12:14 PM
in reply to: Toffels

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Welcome to BT Chris. I was there at the MM Cowboy Up Tri also as a relay team member. I was originally supposed to just swim, then the bike was added when he wasn't able to go. Then it gets rained out so I ended up running the 5K.

Good luck this season.
2014-12-17 9:26 AM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, Nebraska
Hi!
I'm just up the road in Lincoln, NE. I added you on G+, and I also blog...sorta. LOL!

I've done some tri's in the past, and am just getting back into it after a few years off starting a family. Really hoping to find enough time somewhere to get back to 70.3 training levels, but I'm not sure that will happen until the kids are in school (5+ years away).

I highly suggest scoping out a few sprint tri's to do for fun. Don't put all the training pressure on one or two races a year. Treat them like 5k fun runs, and go enjoy yourself. This really helps with the transitions too.
Practicing stuff like this:
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/N0LeZ0lBRtM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

It's a great feeling when you get to finish a tri for the first time. Then you start thinking about improving, and going longer. It's really addicting. It swallowed up two years of my life, in what felt like a blink of an eye. Have fun! :D
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Newbie from KC MO Rss Feed