General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Newbie from Atlanta Ga!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-11-24 5:56 PM

Subject: Newbie from Atlanta Ga!!
Hello,
My name is J.R. And I am brand spanking new at this. I'm a big guy at 270 lbs!! I've been a football and baseball player all my life. Mostly contact sports. Grew up Surfing and skating too as a kid. Was never much of a runner. I did a sprint relay with some friends this past September and actually enjoyed it so I thought I would start training for a sprint tri in Florida in April. I still don't have a bike but I'm looking. One of my concerns was a bike that could handle a guy my size and weight. At 6'3 and 270 I'm more like a lineman then a cyclist LOL!! Anyway I have 2 goals with this. No.1 change my physique and lean myself out to around 220 in the next year and increase my endurance and learn how to run and bike properly. If any of you are in the Atlanta area I would love to hook up for rides or runs. I have a paddle board and a wetsuit so if interested in doing some open swims at Altoona or Lake Lanier I'm up for that too. Looking forward to interacting with folks on here and getting into the training mode.

2014-11-27 9:47 PM
in reply to: Junglejetdrvr

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Subject: RE: Newbie from Atlanta Ga!!
Hi J.R.,

Welcome to this great sport! Tri training is definitely a great way to get in shape, keep in shape, and meet great people. I'm sure you can find a bike that fits you...just go test ride a few at the local bike shop.

Here's a great story about a big guy riding cyclocross - he found a bike!
http://www.npr.org/2012/10/09/162586325/instead-of-surgery-man-peda...

Good luck and happy training!
Carol
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Newbie from Atlanta Ga!! Rss Feed