Other Resources The Political Joe » Are you a Liberal... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2014-11-25 10:21 AM

User image

Elite
Subject: Are you a Liberal...

.... or should I say, are you a classic liberal? Because that is what this country was founded on. That's what I am. 

I've been doing some reading, talking to a "liberal" friend of mine. That guy is out there. But anyway... Just been discussing the foundation of our country on classic liberalism. The Libertarian party is really the closest party that aligns themselves with classic liberalism. 

The GOP, and what is consider a "conservative" today, still has roots in classic liberalism. The GOP has had many shifts. Once supporting isolationism, now supports a interventionist preemptive war foreign policy. The GOP too supported the creation of SS, the EPA, and The Commerce Act.

Modern Social Liberals, still have roots in classic liberalism, but have gone off the rails on interventionist governments and Keynesian economics. They most certainly want a welfare state (the definition of, not the slang used today). Reagan successfully changed the word "liberal" into a derogatory term that we use today. 

I say that I align with the Libertarian Party. I'm registered. Yet I don't truly want the country run in such a classic liberal/libertarian fashion. What I want is to change direction from the course we are on towards a welfare state/social progressive liberal country, back to a more Libertarian governance. Understanding that we are going to have social welfare programs. 

The principles the GOP stand for I agree with. However, where they left me was the shift towards social conservatism, and an interventionist foreign policy. And while they "claim" to be "pro business".... what it seems to me is that they are pro greed. Meaning, the economic principles of lower taxes, and lower government intervention are great. But what I see from the GOP is deregulation in order to rig the game so their constituents can get rich. And no, when the game is rigged for personal gain, that does not trickle down, and that does not strengthen the economy. The S&L disaster, the Wall St dereg of risky financial instruments mess, the mortgage bubble... It's like they just want to cash in until the crash. 

I have no idea where I am going with this..... I'm lost in Libertarian land. The GOP is off the rails... not in theory, but in practice. And it seems the fix many people want is to move to the more extreme right. Only 20% of the country identify as "liberal" in the modern sense. 40% are moderates, and 38% identify as "conservative". And the recent victories for the GOP not included.... how is it the GOP is getting hammered, and most of the country isn't buying what they are selling?

Sorry for the book.

2014-11-25 11:33 AM
in reply to: powerman

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Subject: RE: Are you a Liberal...

Originally posted by powerman

.... or should I say, are you a classic liberal? Because that is what this country was founded on. That's what I am. 

I've been doing some reading, talking to a "liberal" friend of mine. That guy is out there. But anyway... Just been discussing the foundation of our country on classic liberalism. The Libertarian party is really the closest party that aligns themselves with classic liberalism. 

The GOP, and what is consider a "conservative" today, still has roots in classic liberalism. The GOP has had many shifts. Once supporting isolationism, now supports a interventionist preemptive war foreign policy. The GOP too supported the creation of SS, the EPA, and The Commerce Act.

Modern Social Liberals, still have roots in classic liberalism, but have gone off the rails on interventionist governments and Keynesian economics. They most certainly want a welfare state (the definition of, not the slang used today). Reagan successfully changed the word "liberal" into a derogatory term that we use today. 

I say that I align with the Libertarian Party. I'm registered. Yet I don't truly want the country run in such a classic liberal/libertarian fashion. What I want is to change direction from the course we are on towards a welfare state/social progressive liberal country, back to a more Libertarian governance. Understanding that we are going to have social welfare programs. 

The principles the GOP stand for I agree with. However, where they left me was the shift towards social conservatism, and an interventionist foreign policy. And while they "claim" to be "pro business".... what it seems to me is that they are pro greed. Meaning, the economic principles of lower taxes, and lower government intervention are great. But what I see from the GOP is deregulation in order to rig the game so their constituents can get rich. And no, when the game is rigged for personal gain, that does not trickle down, and that does not strengthen the economy. The S&L disaster, the Wall St dereg of risky financial instruments mess, the mortgage bubble... It's like they just want to cash in until the crash. 

I have no idea where I am going with this..... I'm lost in Libertarian land. The GOP is off the rails... not in theory, but in practice. And it seems the fix many people want is to move to the more extreme right. Only 20% of the country identify as "liberal" in the modern sense. 40% are moderates, and 38% identify as "conservative". And the recent victories for the GOP not included.... how is it the GOP is getting hammered, and most of the country isn't buying what they are selling?

Sorry for the book.

I'm pretty much on board with you PM.  One area that I've grown a lot in the past 5 years or so, is not having an interventionist political ideology.  Meaning, I have strong opinions and beliefs on social issues, but I do not want to impose my views on others because I feel it's un-American.  I certainly will defend my views and try to convince others to believe what I believe, but that's completely different than me trying to pass a law to make PM go to church every Sunday.  

I love studying the history of America and the various political shifts throughout history.  I spent many years spouting whatever propaganda talking point the R's would say, because it had to be right.  Fortunately, through studying and researching I've learned the truth.

I too identify as a Libertarian politically, but I'm still registered as an R.  The only reason I'm still registered R is so I can vote in the primaries.  In Nebraska, the R's pretty much always win every general election, so the primaries are where the action is at.  If I register L, then I don't get to vote for anybody.  

2014-11-25 12:07 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Elite

I tried this out in another forum, but thought I would ask here. 

This election, I voted Libertarian. The only problem is... I don't actually agree with straight Libertarianism. Which, as pointed out, is classical liberalism. No government intervention in anything, Obviously we would never get there, but I would like a shift back toward less government intervention. I do not agree with a welfare State.

It's easy to point out the "religious right".... but there most certainly is a "religious left"... well, maybe call it atheist left Meaning there is a social agenda on the far left that is most certainly trying to be legislated as much as there is on the right. I don't care for either personally. That isn't the role of government as far as I'm concerned. No way to make everyone happy. People should be left to live their own life. It's the cultural war that is really throwing a monkey wrench in everything.

2014-11-25 2:03 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

I tried this out in another forum, but thought I would ask here. 

This election, I voted Libertarian. The only problem is... I don't actually agree with straight Libertarianism. Which, as pointed out, is classical liberalism. No government intervention in anything, Obviously we would never get there, but I would like a shift back toward less government intervention. I do not agree with a welfare State.

It's easy to point out the "religious right".... but there most certainly is a "religious left"... well, maybe call it atheist left Meaning there is a social agenda on the far left that is most certainly trying to be legislated as much as there is on the right. I don't care for either personally. That isn't the role of government as far as I'm concerned. No way to make everyone happy. People should be left to live their own life. It's the cultural war that is really throwing a monkey wrench in everything.

If you have to give it a clever title, how about "agnostic left"? I don't think anyone's trying to outlaw belief in G-d. What's wrong with trying to ensure that one particular religion doesn't hold sway over all others and doesn't impact the laws that we all have to live under?

Other than that, I agree entirely with your premise, although I suspect we have some differences of opinion as to what constitutes "government intervention".

In general, I'm worried that "Libertarian" is the new "Tea Party". That is, a progressive political movement that's originally geared towards moving us towards more fiscal responsibility and smaller, less intrusive government, but that quickly gets co-opted by the most right-wing portion of the GOP and starts to represent ideals that are way outside of what it's original mission was. Nowadays, when someone says Tea Party, you think "right wing conservative GOP", which isn't what they were meant to be originally. I think the Libertarian party is headed there.

If you told the original Tea Party founders that Michelle Bachman was regularly spoken of as member of the Tea Party, they'd probably never stop throwing up.
2014-11-25 3:16 PM
in reply to: #5069877

User image

Elite
I understand the point, and agree that one religion should not hold sway "legally". But the fact is there is a dominate religion in this country. And while there might not be a movement to get rid of belief, there absolutely is a movement to erase all acknowledgement legally. Christmas is the observation of Christ's birthday. If you don't believe in Christian, then fine. But why go out of your way to neuter the holiday for everyone else? Changing the name does not change what it is.

So it goes both ways. And each side tries to use the Federal government to impose it's will. And both sides blame the other for doing it.
2014-11-25 4:59 PM

User image

I have been thinking about this recently and like the idea of it. But what would the economy look like in practice if we go back to a laissez fair type economy? I like the idea of the social side but I don't see the economics working out to benefit much of anyone. Maybe I drank too much Keynesian cool-aid. A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals.(men in black rocks). Liberalism seems to start with the premise that people operate with knowledge, information, and overall long term self interest. How do you suppose we get there from here?

2014-11-25 8:53 PM
in reply to: #5069994

User image

Elite
I would hear far right folks talk about how if it isn't specifically stated in the constitution, then it can't be done.... Well, we were not supposed to have a standing army either.

In general, I consider the thought of going back to 1800s to be pure fantasy. That's not going to happen.

As far as the economy... I do think there does need to be government intervention. That isn't laze fare... But not even close to what we have to be. The government should provide stabilizing influences.... But what we have today is the government propping up the economy with false bubbles, and picking winners and loosers. That is pure BS.

I really don't think anyone could comprehend a 1800 American. We are too used to a strong federal government. But there is a big difference between government encouraging an environment for success, and one that thinks it can legislate success.
2014-11-26 7:40 AM
in reply to: Sillygal

User image

Originally posted by Sillygal

I have been thinking about this recently and like the idea of it. But what would the economy look like in practice if we go back to a laissez fair type economy? I like the idea of the social side but I don't see the economics working out to benefit much of anyone. Maybe I drank too much Keynesian cool-aid. A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals.(men in black rocks). Liberalism seems to start with the premise that people operate with knowledge, information, and overall long term self interest. How do you suppose we get there from here?
]

The creative power of millions of individuals making hundreds of millions of individual decisions in their own self interest under the rule of law creates the most power and prosperous economies.

In other words, free people are significantly smarter than a person.

2014-11-26 7:54 AM

User image

I would hear far right folks talk about how if it isn't specifically stated in the constitution, then it can't be done.... Well, we were not supposed to have a standing army either.

Sure we are. What the Constitution says is that the budget for the army needs to be apportioned by Congress every two years. The whole separation of powers thing.

And us right wingers aren't saying if it isn't stated in the Constitution is can't be done. What we are saying is that the US has a federalist form of government and the powers that are not specifically enumerated to the federal government are left to the 50 States.

2014-11-26 9:33 AM
in reply to: Jackemy1

User image

Originally posted by Jackemy1

The creative power of millions of individuals making hundreds of millions of individual decisions in their own self interest under the rule of law creates the most power and prosperous economies.

In other words, free people are significantly smarter than a person.

So how do you get there? How do you free people to act in their own self interest? How do you handle the violent fallout when people are free to starve? I just don't see a peaceful way to achieve this. I think you are implying we should roll back the welfare state but when people begin stealing to provide sustenance how do we handle that? Lawful citizens are only lawful because they want to be. Laws have never stopped anyone from doing what they want. They only apply punitive justice. How do we get from here (social state) to there (libertarian utopia) without ending up in the wild west?
2014-11-26 9:38 AM

User image

Elite

Originally posted by powerman I would hear far right folks talk about how if it isn't specifically stated in the constitution, then it can't be done.... Well, we were not supposed to have a standing army either.
Sure we are. What the Constitution says is that the budget for the army needs to be apportioned by Congress every two years. The whole separation of powers thing. And us right wingers aren't saying if it isn't stated in the Constitution is can't be done. What we are saying is that the US has a federalist form of government and the powers that are not specifically enumerated to the federal government are left to the 50 States.

That might be what you say, but that is not what I have heard others say. 

2014-11-26 11:16 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

I understand the point, and agree that one religion should not hold sway "legally". But the fact is there is a dominate religion in this country. And while there might not be a movement to get rid of belief, there absolutely is a movement to erase all acknowledgement legally. Christmas is the observation of Christ's birthday. If you don't believe in Christian, then fine. But why go out of your way to neuter the holiday for everyone else? Changing the name does not change what it is.

So it goes both ways. And each side tries to use the Federal government to impose it's will. And both sides blame the other for doing it.

Funny that only people who are part of that majority religion seem to hold that viewpoint.

The point is, Christmas is not the only holiday that falls in December, so, while it is true that December is the "Christmas season", it's also the "Hanukah season". So, rather than refer to something as a "Christmas Party" unless the intention is actually to honor the birth of Christ by drinking cheap champagne with your co-workers, why not be more democratic and call it a Holiday Party? Why should Christmas automatically be the default for everyone just because it's the holiday that more people celebrate? I"m not in favor of "neutering" things that actually celebrate Christmas, but "Christmas Party" and "Christmas Season" and the like are more appropriately called "Holiday Party", "Holiday Season", etc.

2014-11-26 11:18 AM

User image

Originally posted by powerman I would hear far right folks talk about how if it isn't specifically stated in the constitution, then it can't be done.... Well, we were not supposed to have a standing army either.
Sure we are. What the Constitution says is that the budget for the army needs to be apportioned by Congress every two years. The whole separation of powers thing. And us right wingers aren't saying if it isn't stated in the Constitution is can't be done. What we are saying is that the US has a federalist form of government and the powers that are not specifically enumerated to the federal government are left to the 50 States.

That might be what you say, but that is not what I have heard others say. 

I didn't write the Constitution so I didn't say it. Those that you heard it from are provide you wrong information. Below are the related text;

Article I Section 8

The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

• ...To raise and support Armies, but no Appropriation of Money to that Use shall be for a longer Term than two Years;.....

• Amendment X

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.
    2014-11-26 11:37 AM
    in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Pro
    Omaha, NE

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn
    Originally posted by powerman I understand the point, and agree that one religion should not hold sway "legally". But the fact is there is a dominate religion in this country. And while there might not be a movement to get rid of belief, there absolutely is a movement to erase all acknowledgement legally. Christmas is the observation of Christ's birthday. If you don't believe in Christian, then fine. But why go out of your way to neuter the holiday for everyone else? Changing the name does not change what it is. So it goes both ways. And each side tries to use the Federal government to impose it's will. And both sides blame the other for doing it.
    Funny that only people who are part of that majority religion seem to hold that viewpoint. The point is, Christmas is not the only holiday that falls in December, so, while it is true that December is the "Christmas season", it's also the "Hanukah season". So, rather than refer to something as a "Christmas Party" unless the intention is actually to honor the birth of Christ by drinking cheap champagne with your co-workers, why not be more democratic and call it a Holiday Party? Why should Christmas automatically be the default for everyone just because it's the holiday that more people celebrate? I"m not in favor of "neutering" things that actually celebrate Christmas, but "Christmas Party" and "Christmas Season" and the like are more appropriately called "Holiday Party", "Holiday Season", etc.

I think the rub is when the PC police come out and tell people what they should call things in order to be more "tolerant".  I have no problem with anyone saying happy holidays or holiday party, and I would hope they wouldn't have a problem with me having a Christmas Party or saying Merry Christmas.  If somebody tells me Happy Hanuka, I wish them a Happy Hanuka.  It's really not that big of a deal.

Personally, I think the true meaning of Christmas has been so removed from the usage of Christmas that it doesn't even have much (if any) "religion" left in it for most people.  

According to the Supreme Court in Lynch v. Donnelly Christmas doesn't advocate any particular religious message and serves a legitimate secular purpose.  They also state that the constitution "affirmatively mandates accommodation, not merely tolerance of all religions, and forbids hostility toward any."

Right or wrong, Christmas is the Federally recognized holiday that most people in America celebrate.  So, it seems silly to me to try and ban or rename Christmas tree's and encourage people to not say Merry Christmas.
    I don't come at it from a religious perspective at all, I think of it as though somebody were telling me I had to call Halloween "fall festival" or something like that. Most (but not all) of the country is celebrating Halloween, so we call it Halloween.

2014-11-26 1:56 PM
    in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Elite

Originally posted by powerman I understand the point, and agree that one religion should not hold sway "legally". But the fact is there is a dominate religion in this country. And while there might not be a movement to get rid of belief, there absolutely is a movement to erase all acknowledgement legally. Christmas is the observation of Christ's birthday. If you don't believe in Christian, then fine. But why go out of your way to neuter the holiday for everyone else? Changing the name does not change what it is. So it goes both ways. And each side tries to use the Federal government to impose it's will. And both sides blame the other for doing it.
    Funny that only people who are part of that majority religion seem to hold that viewpoint. The point is, Christmas is not the only holiday that falls in December, so, while it is true that December is the "Christmas season", it's also the "Hanukah season". So, rather than refer to something as a "Christmas Party" unless the intention is actually to honor the birth of Christ by drinking cheap champagne with your co-workers, why not be more democratic and call it a Holiday Party? Why should Christmas automatically be the default for everyone just because it's the holiday that more people celebrate? I"m not in favor of "neutering" things that actually celebrate Christmas, but "Christmas Party" and "Christmas Season" and the like are more appropriately called "Holiday Party", "Holiday Season", etc.

I'm not in the majority.... but I don't loose any sleep over it either. 

Many once religious holidays are now secular in practice. the people will do with it what they will. No point in renaming the largest shopping holiday just so a couple are not offended. It's Christmas. 

2014-11-26 2:13 PM

User image

Elite

Originally posted by Jackemy1  I didn't write the Constitution so I didn't say it. Those that you heard it from are provide you wrong information. Below are the related text; Article I Section 8 The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States; ....To raise and support Armies, but no Appropriation of Money to that Use shall be for a longer Term than two Years;..... Amendment X The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

I have read it a couple times....

While a provision is in the Constitution for raising armies, it was also pretty clear our Founders did not believe in standing armies, or becoming the next military empire like England.

The GOP has a very long history of being isolationists, and did not believe in military intervention. They begrudgingly agreed to enter into WWII. Post WWII, they have done a 180, and the Neo Cons went as far as advocating for a Welfare Globe ushered in by U.S. intervention and nation building. I'm not advocating we disband our military, but that too is a long long way from what was started out. I certainly do not agree with being the World Police, which is exactly what we are.

The EPA is another good example. I for one happen to like clean air and water. The EPA is not designated by the Constitution, so therefore it should go to the states. But that is a Federal sort of thing to take care of. There are other examples that could work with the States, but many can't. Plenty want to abolish them for that very reason.

2014-11-26 8:58 PM

User image

Elite

"Christmas is the observation of Christ's birthday."

With all due respect, not in my house...and many other houses out there.
    Christmas to me is about the kids. Santa, gifts, love of family, helping others...fun stuff.

That said, I have no problem with manger scenes on public grounds, or Christmas trees, etc.
    But, I'm not down with signs proclaiming "Jesus is the reason for the season" on public property.
    That goes for ANY faith. Just because you have a majority doesn't make it right.

and btw, who's trying to "neuter" Christmas?
    I didn't even know Christmas had Jingle Ballz.
    Enjoy Christmas as religiously as you want...just keep it out of federal and state-funded property.
    Just my 2 cents.

2014-11-26 9:02 PM

User image

Elite

Many once religious holidays are now secular in practice. the people will do with it what they will. No point in renaming the largest shopping holiday just so a couple are not offended. It's Christmas. 

JMK, I like what you're saying.
    I'd put forth that if you live in an area that is 100% Christian, a Christmas Party is just fine.
    If you've got folks in your workplace that aren't Christian, be polite and have a Holiday Party.
    To me, it's just more polite that way.
    2014-11-26 9:40 PM
    in reply to: #5070092

User image

Elite
    Sweet baby Jesus in the manger... What you made Christmas for you is not what Christmas is. You did not pick December 25th on the calendar to go out and buy stuff for. Thanksgiving is a good secular let's all get together holiday. And it's American. Christmas has been celebrated long before America was around. It is what it is. Just because you don't believe in Christian, doesn't change that. How you choose to spend your paid day off is up to you. My paid day off has nothing to do with Christ. But I don't demand that nothing about Christ is on public property. How ridiculous.

I just read a story about a group of parents flipping out at a PTA meeting about the field trip to see the "Nutcracker". They were disturbed about the "questionable content". They were p1ssed there was a Christmas tree on stage. Nobody should have to work so hard to be offended.

You know, you could always celebrate Festivus with the rest of us.
    2014-11-26 10:17 PM

User image

Elite

Sweet baby Jesus in the manger... What you made Christmas for you is not what Christmas is. You did not pick December 25th on the calendar to go out and buy stuff for. Thanksgiving is a good secular let's all get together holiday. And it's American. Christmas has been celebrated long before America was around. It is what it is. Just because you don't believe in Christian, doesn't change that. How you choose to spend your paid day off is up to you. My paid day off has nothing to do with Christ. But I don't demand that nothing about Christ is on public property. How ridiculous.

I just read a story about a group of parents flipping out at a PTA meeting about the field trip to see the "Nutcracker". They were disturbed about the "questionable content". They were p1ssed there was a Christmas tree on stage. Nobody should have to work so hard to be offended.

You know, you could always celebrate Festivus with the rest of us.

I'm sure you understand the person, Jesus, wasn't born anywhere near December 25th, right?
    And I'm sure you know the holiday was co-opted from folks who worshipped the winter solstice, right?

Okay, the deal with Christ on public property...for one second, just understand, when you put that stuff out there, do NOT be upset when you have Wiccans, Muslims, Jews, Hindus, Buddhists...do I need to go on? faiths putting their stuff out there.
    It's bad enough religious organizations get HUUUUGE tax breaks. You want a REAL war on religion? Take their free lunch away.

I will agree about the tree. I've never been offended by a Christmas tree.
    Sticking Moses' tablets in a courtroom though? Absolutely ridiculous...in my opinion of course.
    2014-11-26 10:32 PM

User image

Elite

Sorry for the book.

enough of me severing Christmas' junk.

As for "liberal" or "conservative," it's kind of silly for folks to pigeonhole themselves.
    Like a large majority of the public, I have views that run the gamut.
    On crime I'm about as conservative as a Saudi executioner.
    On education, I definitely lean conservative. Our public school system is a joke. We need competition from the private sector...unfortunately, it often comes in the form of religious options that have no understanding of science, i.e. creationism in science classrooms.
    On family matters, I'm extremely conservative. When women are promiscuous, I have less respect for them...when men are promiscuous I have less respect for them, period.
    Environment, liberal. Taxes, liberal. Social programs, liberal. Supporting a woman's right to choose, liberal. Gay marriage, liberal.

While those are my personal beliefs, like the interpretation of the Constitution, they are subject to change!
    I may believe personally that drunk drivers do not deserve to live...but I can't advocate we change the law to make that happen.
    Boy, I'm getting tired.
    Good night! (those sugarplum fairies in my dreams best not be wearing religious attire! HA!)

2014-11-26 10:37 PM
    in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy

JMK, I like what you're saying. I'd put forth that if you live in an area that is 100% Christian, a Christmas Party is just fine. If you've got folks in your workplace that aren't Christian, be polite and have a Holiday Party. To me, it's just more polite that way.

How come we can't just send out some invitations that say, "You are invited to our Christmas party"?  Earlier in the month, some folks could send out invitations to those of us who celebrate Christmas and invite us to their Hanukah party.....I'll be there!  I see no problem with doubling up on the party season.....it looks to me like we could all use a little more party time and a whole lot less being offended time.  I'm not too versed on the holiday season of kwanza, muslim holidays, etc.....but hell, I'll be there!!  It'd be great if some of these celebrations happen in June so we can have a holiday season every 6 months or so. 

If we do this right we can all have some fun together for a change.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-11-26 10:44 PM
    2014-12-01 8:49 AM
    in reply to: ChineseDemocracy

User image

Pro
    Omaha, NE

"Christmas is the observation of Christ's birthday." With all due respect, not in my house...and many other houses out there. Christmas to me is about the kids. Santa, gifts, love of family, helping others...fun stuff. That said, I have no problem with manger scenes on public grounds, or Christmas trees, etc. But, I'm not down with signs proclaiming "Jesus is the reason for the season" on public property. That goes for ANY faith. Just because you have a majority doesn't make it right. and btw, who's trying to "neuter" Christmas? I didn't even know Christmas had Jingle Ballz. Enjoy Christmas as religiously as you want...just keep it out of federal and state-funded property. Just my 2 cents.

I tend to agree with you CD.  Similar to the Supreme Court opinion i cited earlier Christmas is really more about what you described in the public space than it is about Christs birth.  Sure, there are many people who want it to be all about Jesus, but the reality is that it's more of a secular holiday than a religious one.

Even as a Christian I don't feel it's appropriate to have a "Jesus is the reason for the season" type stuff on public property.  I think where it gets tricky is with traditional Christmas things, which are religious in nature,  that are getting forced out of the public space.  For example kids have always had Christmas programs at school where they're singing songs like Silent Night.  There has been a direct assault on many schools to ban various songs due to them having religious content of any kind in them.  For me personally, I think that as a society that seeks tolerance and diversity should welcome religious songs from all cultures.

2014-12-01 10:54 AM

User image

Originally posted by Jackemy1  I didn't write the Constitution so I didn't say it. Those that you heard it from are provide you wrong information. Below are the related text; Article I Section 8 The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States; ....To raise and support Armies, but no Appropriation of Money to that Use shall be for a longer Term than two Years;..... Amendment X The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

I have read it a couple times....

While a provision is in the Constitution for raising armies, it was also pretty clear our Founders did not believe in standing armies, or becoming the next military empire like England.

The GOP has a very long history of being isolationists, and did not believe in military intervention. They begrudgingly agreed to enter into WWII. Post WWII, they have done a 180, and the Neo Cons went as far as advocating for a Welfare Globe ushered in by U.S. intervention and nation building. I'm not advocating we disband our military, but that too is a long long way from what was started out. I certainly do not agree with being the World Police, which is exactly what we are.

The EPA is another good example. I for one happen to like clean air and water. The EPA is not designated by the Constitution, so therefore it should go to the states. But that is a Federal sort of thing to take care of. There are other examples that could work with the States, but many can't. Plenty want to abolish them for that very reason.

I believe every state has their own environmental oversight agency. The Federal EPA was founded as the regulatory arm to carry out laws passed by Congress. So that would certainly be within the scope of the constitutional authority of the executive branch to set up a department to carry out laws passed by the Congress.

Now there is certainly an argument that the laws passed by Congress and the regulations drawn up and enforce by the EPA are over reaching and unconstitutional. But the existence of the EPA is well within the constitution.
    2014-12-01 1:49 PM
    in reply to: tuwood

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
    Originally posted by tuwood

"Christmas is the observation of Christ's birthday." With all due respect, not in my house...and many other houses out there. Christmas to me is about the kids. Santa, gifts, love of family, helping others...fun stuff. That said, I have no problem with manger scenes on public grounds, or Christmas trees, etc. But, I'm not down with signs proclaiming "Jesus is the reason for the season" on public property. That goes for ANY faith. Just because you have a majority doesn't make it right. and btw, who's trying to "neuter" Christmas? I didn't even know Christmas had Jingle Ballz. Enjoy Christmas as religiously as you want...just keep it out of federal and state-funded property. Just my 2 cents.

I tend to agree with you CD.  Similar to the Supreme Court opinion i cited earlier Christmas is really more about what you described in the public space than it is about Christs birth.  Sure, there are many people who want it to be all about Jesus, but the reality is that it's more of a secular holiday than a religious one.

Even as a Christian I don't feel it's appropriate to have a "Jesus is the reason for the season" type stuff on public property.  I think where it gets tricky is with traditional Christmas things, which are religious in nature,  that are getting forced out of the public space.  For example kids have always had Christmas programs at school where they're singing songs like Silent Night.  There has been a direct assault on many schools to ban various songs due to them having religious content of any kind in them.  For me personally, I think that as a society that seeks tolerance and diversity should welcome religious songs from all cultures.

So there is a funny quote out there about religion in our culture:

Religion is like a "gun" (insert what you will lol). It's fine to have one. It's fine to be proud of it. But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around. And PLEASE don't try to shove it down our throats.
    New Thread
    Other Resources The Political Joe » Are you a Liberal... Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Liberals find comfort level in 'NPR of gun clubs'

Started by DanielG
    Views: 818 Posts: 1

2014-01-02 6:58 PM DanielG
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : May 5, 2008
    author : TriPainter
    comments : 1
    I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : September 24, 2007
    author : mrakes1
    comments : 0
    Discussions on salt tablets, AM workout nutrition, coffee, post workout nutrition, whey powder, recovery nutrition, losing weight, Recoverite usage, the necessity of sugars and snack ideas.