General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Top 5 leg exercises to prevent injury Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-11-25 11:11 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Subject: Top 5 leg exercises to prevent injury
What are your top 5 leg exercises to prevent injury while running. I've had shin splints, IT band issues, now after running my 1st marathon ankle issues and pf issues. Since I can't currently run, what can I do to strengthen my legs to avoid injury in the future.

I know about walking lunges, squats, straight leg dead lifts, maybe some towel scrunches for the pf.

thoughts?

2014-11-25 6:00 PM
in reply to: KWDreamun

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Subject: RE: Top 5 leg exercises to prevent injury
Originally posted by KWDreamun

What are your top 5 leg exercises to prevent injury while running. I've had shin splints, IT band issues, now after running my 1st marathon ankle issues and pf issues. Since I can't currently run, what can I do to strengthen my legs to avoid injury in the future.

I know about walking lunges, squats, straight leg dead lifts, maybe some towel scrunches for the pf.

thoughts?

Single-leg step ups (progressively with added resistance) - helps with biking a lot too
Side Squats
Definitely standing hip abduction work (really hit the medius/minimum gluteal muscles & the TFL) - helps with IT band issues
SInce I got into Tri work - I came off my history of heavy squat work and use the leg press to keep strength up instead
My gym also has an excellent range of motion kneeling hip extension machine
And if not running, at least do some calf raises to keep their ROM going
2014-12-02 11:12 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Rather than attack your problem from the "top 5 leg exercises", I suggest you first look at your run training program (if you haven't already).  All the issues you mention are overuse injuries.  Leg exercises may, or may not, help you with avoiding those issues in the future.  The vast majority of overuse injuries come from training 'mistakes'--too much volume/intensity, not enough consistency, etc.  Of course, if you have some specific issues/imbalances, then finding the specific exercises to address those can be helpful in conjunction with a smart training program.  But your 'Top 5' may differ from others' and your best bet is to work with someone to identify those most helpful for you.

2014-12-02 11:15 AM

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
Stretching is at least as important as strength exercises.

So in addition to strengthening quads, hammys, calfs, hips etc. you should be stretching those things as well. Yoga is great for this and there are lots of "yoga for runners" classes out there.

Lots of good running exercise videos out there. I like this guy's:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDhKVtkfnsg
2015-01-28 7:19 AM
in reply to: TJHammer

Massachusetts
i believe every person is different in that ones 5 leg exercises doesn't help another.

Really sounds like over use though.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Top 5 leg exercises to prevent injury Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Crossfit to Prevent Injury

Started by justtrichris
Views: 2847 Posts: 6

2012-01-03 10:21 AM velasqu7

Preventing Muscle Loss While Training

Started by Greshe
Views: 2482 Posts: 3

2010-12-02 9:23 AM uhcoog

Good exercise for posterior knee injury prevention?

Started by UrsusAdiposimus
Views: 1965 Posts: 5

2009-01-07 12:40 PM Nipper

Exercises that prevent injury

Started by Taffle
Views: 1359 Posts: 3

2008-08-06 11:04 AM Fechter99

Preventing Knee Injury

Started by Skywashed
Views: 3336 Posts: 21

2008-11-18 2:33 PM kvesey
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 21, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
My foot is now in a tremendous amount of pain, it is swollen, and I can barely walk on it at all, it hurts so much. I am still putting the gel on, taking anti inflammatories, and icing. Help!

date : August 8, 2012
comments : 0
How do you know the difference between muscle soreness and an injury? Learn several techniques to alleviate muscle soreness after a hard workout.
date : August 24, 2009
I sometimes have severe pains on the top of my left foot. It feels like a knife is stabbing my inner foot on the outer portion of my foot. These pains happen mainly at night but not while riding.

date : February 7, 2008
The off season should be just that – a time to rest your body, to rehabilitate injury, and to plan ahead on how to improve performance and prevent injury in the season to come.
date : October 2, 2007
author : sportfactory
comments : 9
Poor swim technique, overtraining, unilateral breathing, overuse of training equipment all can cause swimmer's shoulder. Read how to avoid injury and strengthen your muscles.

date : September 17, 2007
Muscle cramps occur in 67% of triathletes. This article discusses several theories on the causes of cramps and what to do if you get one and how to prevent cramps.
date : August 7, 2007
author : sportfactory
comments : 1
Cyclists may be at risk of developing CTS due to long hours spent in one position. These eight tips can help you prevent carpal tunnel syndrome while grinding out those long hours on the bike.

date : June 21, 2006
author : Team BT
Leg Extension-Machine strength exercise instruction with picture and video.