Omaha, NE
Subject: RE: Learning to play the Guitar

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by tuwood

Originally posted by tuwood

Tony, you are on a slippery slope  My 1 guitar is now 5 with 2 amps. Enjoy walking through Guitar Center, it makes me drool like I do in the bike store. 

I noticed that you are starting to record and mentioned a recording setup and a microphone. I repeat the above from last year, only because I am psychic 

I don't think I mentioned the PA system, keyboard, stands, cables, speakers, etc that came along after I "learned to play guitar". 

lol, that's so true.

I was at Guitar Center a month or so back and talking to the sales guy about how I'm glad I still really suck because I couldn't tell the difference between a $500 acoustic and a $2000 acoustic.  Then I go in the back and play on a $2000 acoustic and OMG, it was 100% better than the one I have.  I'm kicking myself for even picking it up...  I will not buy one... I will not buy one... I will not buy one...

I hadn't noticed until now, but you mentioned that you went for an acoustic guitar as well.  My guitar playing started on acoustic and has primarily stayed there. Both of my current ones have pickups in them, so I can get loud if need be, however, the ability to pick it up and play it and only it, without anything else is one of the draws for me.  And yes, there is a quality/playability difference when you start to look at price ranges.  The one benefit for me in buying certain brands new is the warranty.  As a matter of fact, my Martin OMCPA4 was a "Scratch and Dent" model from Musicians Friend.  The issue with it was the action was too high.  I had it for a few months, took it in to a Martin approved luthier and Martin covered the repair.  It plays great now, and has a high, ringing tone that I love. My other is a Guild F5CE in sunburst finish that I got new in the late 90's. It plays great and has a bigger, warmer sound to it, yet still rings out pretty well if I am up high on it.  It took a while to get that warm sound, but I have found that a well made acoustic gets better with time.  It doesn't show up in the photo, but the Guild is starting to chip and wear in a couple of spots. It has been to the luthier more than once and is starting to show some character.

beautiful

I pretty much only play my Martin now.  I'll occasionally grab the electric to practice some barre chords or scales while my wife's watching TV, but only because it's "quiet" to play.

I'm having a Bible Study at my house tomorrow night and I'm going to play/sing a few worship songs at the beginning.  This will be my big debut.  
I do help with our churches sound every weekend, so I've been able to play a few songs for the worship team while we're warming up which was fun.  I am trying to expand my horizons away from G shape songs though.

Learn to use a capo. The ultimate cheat  friend.

I've been toying with the idea of a guitar playing/songwriting/bible study group at my house.  I can't wrap my head around how to get it all set up.  I'm interested to hear how yours goes.

lol, I learned that very early on.  I found a great youtube video that explained the notes in each key and how to transpose songs to different keys and it was a huge lightbulb moment.  I can transpose pretty much any song into G shapes with my capo, but I'm trying to expand my horizons a little bit.  

As for the Bible Study our church has small groups that get together weekly and my wife and I are in a couples group that has about 15 couples.  We volunteered to host for the next couple months at our house and I just mentioned that I'd do a couple worship songs at the beginning.
One thing I've learned a ton about singing and playing is to just strum with my thumb (much softer) and sing softer, it sounds so much better.  Early on I was strumming with a pick at full volume and had to virtually yell to sing.  It was a hot mess.  lol

I'll try to throw one down in garage band tonight and see how it sounds.  I haven't had a lot of luck getting the recording to sound good. (maybe it's just me)  haha

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Learning to play the Guitar Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Learning to Play Guitar

Started by jmcconne
Views: 1475 Posts: 16

2011-12-20 5:06 PM RedShark

Best method to learn guitar

Started by Kido
Views: 1871 Posts: 21

2010-05-27 3:41 PM SteveyD

Ever play "beer pong?" If still playing, DO NOT *ever* play against this guy

Started by LHablas
Views: 835 Posts: 6

2007-06-08 1:14 PM jimbo

Guitar Hero rocks!

Started by Denise2003
Views: 722 Posts: 5

2005-12-12 10:43 AM Denise2003

Favorite Guitar Riff

Started by Gatsby
Views: 1376 Posts: 21

2005-10-06 8:54 AM Gatsby
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 29, 2011
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
If swim workouts are much more trying than your bike and run workouts, try these tips

date : May 6, 2011
author : garyhallsr
Being comfortable in the water and knowing where your body parts are trump power and strength any day
date : December 2, 2010
author : Sara McLarty
This installment of the BT Swim Series will focus on open water swimming and four drills to help you better prepare for your event.

date : November 4, 2010
This installment of the BT Swim Series will focus on swimming tools and how best to use them. Includes pull buoys, kickboards, fins, paddles and snorkels.
date : October 5, 2010
This installment of the BT Swim Series will focus on the four major parts of the arm stroke in freestyle: Catch, Pull, Finish, & Recovery.

date : September 3, 2010
comments : 1
This installment of the BT Swim Series will focus on being efficient in the water. Learning how to swim smooth and efficiently is important to becoming a great swimmer.
date : August 2, 2010
comments : 19
This installment of the BT Swim Series will focus on breathing. Before you can swim fast, you must learn how to control your breathing so that easy swimming does not leave you gasping after one lap.

date : July 9, 2007
author : gsmacleod
Taking the time to have your running form analyzed can help many athletes run further, faster or both!