Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Learning to play the Guitar Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2014-11-25 11:17 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Subject: Learning to play the Guitar

I decided I'm not getting any younger so I better get started on my life long goal of learning to play the guitar a couple weeks ago.
I have a cheap electric guitar I'm playing with now and going through chord progressions and scales.  I did learn most of the Ozzy Crazytrain opening last night and that was a blast.

Have any of you recently picked up playing the guitar?  Anyone have any advice for a new guy like myself?

There's so many tutorial videos and websites out there it's a little overwhelming, but I'm trying to stick to the basics and learn some solid fundamentals vs. try and rip out Van Halen Eruption right away.  (granted Ozzy was a little bit of a reach)  

2014-11-25 12:09 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa
Subject: RE: Learning to play the Guitar

I think it really depends upon what you want to play and for how long?  Learning chords is a must for every guitar player, but they get bored easily and then quit trying to learn new chords or how the chords work together.  Learn different fingerings for the different chords, before going to barre chords, because basic barre chords are easy.  If you are wanting to learn rock tunes, watch the videos and notice that many of the tunes are done using barre chords.  Learn that many of the tunes are in normal keys like the key of G major for example.

In the key of G  major the major chords are G, C and D.  With the minors normally used are A minor, B minor and E minor.  So in a simple song like Dylan's "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" it is G - D - Am  followed by G D C in the verses.  Another trait by the Beatles is using the diminished which in this case it would be F# diminished in the key of G.

If you are playing a lot of Americana or folk, learn the 1st position chords and the different ways to finger them.  I play with different musicians all the time at jams, and I have seen three or four different ways to finger the same chord, and since I play bass at the jams, I always ask the key of the songs we are playing.  But, just because a songs starts on a "G" chord, doesn't make the song in the key of "G".

In my opinion, once you have the 1st position chords figured out, you should be learning scales in different positions on the neck, so you actually learn the fret board and the where different notes are on the guitar.

2014-11-25 12:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Crossville, TN
I started playing several years ago and learned all the chords but couldn't read music. I have since learned to read music and I have learned individual notes on the guitar. I can now play any song I have the music to. I am now in the process of learning to finger pick. My best advice is grab a book or get a lesson or two and try and find other people to play with. You can learn a lot from just watching.
2014-11-25 12:43 PM
in reply to: TerryW

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

Tony, there are also multiple open mic nights around Omaha.  You could go to one of those and talk with some of the musicians around the area to find different music jams, where you can learn different types of music.  I don't attend any of the Omaha jams, because there are plenty of great musicians for me to play music with in southwest Iowa.

2014-11-25 12:55 PM
in reply to: flip18436572

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by flip18436572

I think it really depends upon what you want to play and for how long?  Learning chords is a must for every guitar player, but they get bored easily and then quit trying to learn new chords or how the chords work together.  Learn different fingerings for the different chords, before going to barre chords, because basic barre chords are easy.  If you are wanting to learn rock tunes, watch the videos and notice that many of the tunes are done using barre chords.  Learn that many of the tunes are in normal keys like the key of G major for example.

In the key of G  major the major chords are G, C and D.  With the minors normally used are A minor, B minor and E minor.  So in a simple song like Dylan's "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" it is G - D - Am  followed by G D C in the verses.  Another trait by the Beatles is using the diminished which in this case it would be F# diminished in the key of G.

If you are playing a lot of Americana or folk, learn the 1st position chords and the different ways to finger them.  I play with different musicians all the time at jams, and I have seen three or four different ways to finger the same chord, and since I play bass at the jams, I always ask the key of the songs we are playing.  But, just because a songs starts on a "G" chord, doesn't make the song in the key of "G".

In my opinion, once you have the 1st position chords figured out, you should be learning scales in different positions on the neck, so you actually learn the fret board and the where different notes are on the guitar.

I'm definitely working on learning the fret board.  This whole journey started after a discussion with the lead guitarist at our church.  He told me about how there's a mathematical method to learning notes and it was always easier for him.  
I found this tutorial about Guitar mathematics and it fascinated me.  
http://passyworldofmathematics.com/guitar-mathematics/

I do plan to get together with some people to do some jams.  I have only been at it a couple weeks, so I'm mostly practicing chords, scales, and getting general dexterity stuff going.  Once I feel a little more confident over the next few weeks I plan to do a lot more.

2014-11-25 12:58 PM
in reply to: TerryW

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by TerryW I started playing several years ago and learned all the chords but couldn't read music. I have since learned to read music and I have learned individual notes on the guitar. I can now play any song I have the music to. I am now in the process of learning to finger pick. My best advice is grab a book or get a lesson or two and try and find other people to play with. You can learn a lot from just watching.

I know learning to read music is going to be a challenge for me.  I certainly recognize the importance though, so I'm commuted to learning.

2014-11-25 1:33 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

The quickest way to Carnegie Hall...

I am of modest ability at best, so take this with a grain of salt.  A lot of music can be boiled down to 3 chords (and a cloud of dust).  Learning the combinations of the 1/4/5 chord progressions  (G/C/D as mentioned above in the key of G) goes a long way.  As do scales, fretboard knowledge, and finger exercises. All of that is available to you in your own home, with some time and an internet connection.  After a bit of that, I think it is time to learn from others. My playing took a big step up when I started going to the local Monday night Bluegrass jam.  I am not the biggest bluegrass fan, but it got my into an environment that fostered growth and forced me to play better.  I probably waited too long to take that step.  Many guitar players are kind and helpful people, willing to help others get better.  So don't be afraid to step out of your comfort zone.  Get out and see what others are doing.

For the record, I still don't read music, which has come back to bite me on only a few occasions in the past 25 years.

2014-11-25 1:43 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
I started learning last year. The best site I've found is http://www.justinguitar.com

Beginner and intermediate lessons are free and the quality is incredible. Also, his method makes learning at your own pace very simple. Really great video lessons. I did buy the beginner song book to complement the lessons and it's really well put together.

EP

Edited by ecpasos 2014-11-25 1:49 PM
2014-11-25 1:58 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

I've been playing since High School and I've long ago stopped kidding myself that I could actually play bluegrass or anything more complicated than three cords and some basic riffs in front of a crowd.

So I like having a bunch of campfire songs in my repertoire that play at a drop of a hat and most everyone knows. I also know the basic pentatonic scales if god forbid it is my turn to solo. But they are good to know anyway as you'll understand the structure of lead guitar riffs and solos.

95% of my guitar playing is sitting in my home office and getting song tabs off 911tabs.com or watching someone on youtube to learn a new song and just have fun just playing.

2014-12-02 1:32 PM
in reply to: ecpasos

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by ecpasos

I started learning last year. The best site I've found is http://www.justinguitar.com

Beginner and intermediate lessons are free and the quality is incredible. Also, his method makes learning at your own pace very simple. Really great video lessons. I did buy the beginner song book to complement the lessons and it's really well put together.

EP

I was going to suggest that. This guy is an amazing teacher. I am mainly a drummer but I like to play a lot of instruments (not happy with just one instrument, not happy with just one sport ) and I have learnt tons about guitar playing from him. He's just started a series on ukuele, which I am religiously following.

Good luck with learning to play!
2014-12-02 3:06 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Rollergirl
Originally posted by ecpasos I started learning last year. The best site I've found is http://www.justinguitar.comBeginner and intermediate lessons are free and the quality is incredible. Also, his method makes learning at your own pace very simple. Really great video lessons. I did buy the beginner song book to complement the lessons and it's really well put together. EP
I was going to suggest that. This guy is an amazing teacher. I am mainly a drummer but I like to play a lot of instruments (not happy with just one instrument, not happy with just one sport ) and I have learnt tons about guitar playing from him. He's just started a series on ukuele, which I am religiously following. Good luck with learning to play!

I'm loving him as well.  I really appreciate the recommendation EP.

I love his style and humor, and have ordered his first song book.  I am trying to really take my time and practice each section a lot before progressing on.  I tried to play a few years back and was quickly overwhelmed trying to learn a ton of chords and could never remember any of them or get the transitions down.  With Justin's method of D, E, and A for example with timed exercises I'm flying between the chords and have several easy beginner songs down which are huge confidence boosters.  I've gotten D minor, E minor, and A minor down very well too with fast transitions (relatively speaking) with the majors.  

2014-12-08 5:31 PM

User image

Roswell
I started about 4 years ago. I used YouTube for most of the lessons. Search for "Marty Schwartz" . Then, practice. I kept a guitar by me chair. If I was watching TV i would play during commercials. I picked it up and played for 5-15 minutes several times a day. Scale pasterns are good to learn, chords are cool, but playing music is fun. So, pick songs you want to learn and then learn the techniques, scales, and chords that are required for that song. Once you have it, pick another song.

I also recommend playing with others as often as you can. I started playing in Church after a year or so of practice. Playing rhythm guitar is a great way to learn from others and is a hoot. Eventually you start picking up lead parts. Fun stuff.

Not sure how cheap your rig is. It helps to play a decent (not super spendy) guitar. Fender MIM stuff and Epiphone LPs are my go to guitars.
2014-12-09 8:33 AM
in reply to: Ziatriguy

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Ziatriguy I started about 4 years ago. I used YouTube for most of the lessons. Search for "Marty Schwartz" . Then, practice. I kept a guitar by me chair. If I was watching TV i would play during commercials. I picked it up and played for 5-15 minutes several times a day. Scale pasterns are good to learn, chords are cool, but playing music is fun. So, pick songs you want to learn and then learn the techniques, scales, and chords that are required for that song. Once you have it, pick another song. I also recommend playing with others as often as you can. I started playing in Church after a year or so of practice. Playing rhythm guitar is a great way to learn from others and is a hoot. Eventually you start picking up lead parts. Fun stuff. Not sure how cheap your rig is. It helps to play a decent (not super spendy) guitar. Fender MIM stuff and Epiphone LPs are my go to guitars.

That's pretty much exactly what I'm doing.  I have my guitar right next to my chair in the living room and have been playing it closer to 2 hours per evening.  So far, I've got the following chords down really well and have been working on speeding up my change times with 1 minute drills (from Justinguitar.com).
I've got A, Amin, E, Emin, D, Dmin, G, and C down and have been playing with some songs on those.
I also spend a good 5 minutes or so a night doing the pentatonic scales. 

last night I was learning the intro to Adel, Someone like you which is mostly G -> Emin -> C.  I've found that learning songs really helps me speed up my chord changes.

I'm really amazed at the amount of progress I've been able to achieve in such a short time.  I couldn't even finger the G chord originally because my fingers just didn't want to move that way and I was a little worried.  However, now I barely have to look at the fret board and it's super easy.  Still need to work on my speed, but it's been very rewarding so far.

As for my rig, it's a heaping pile of poo.  lol
It's one of those $200 Strat packs that has an entry level Strat with a little practice amp.  My daughter had it (and barely used it) for several years and it took a fair amount of abuse.  The pick up selector switch is completely broke now so I can only use the guitar acoustically which is fine for just practicing and learning, but I am thinking Santa will be bringing me something much nicer for Christmas.  lol 
I haven't narrowed down my choices yet, but figured I'd spend around $200-300 for a decent quality entry level electric.  I love both a natural "acoustic" guitar sound as well as the crunch of a good metal/rock song, so I'm fairly certain I will want one with at least one Humbucker, but I've noticed some that have a single pickup selector as well as a Humbucker.  I figure it's the best of both worlds for a clean classic sound as well as some crunch.  There's a Guitar Center near my office so I will try out several.

I did pick up a Line 6 Sonic Port for my iPad already which will suffice for my amp needs once I get a good guitar.

2014-12-09 9:18 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Tony, you are on a slippery slope  My 1 guitar is now 5 with 2 amps. Enjoy walking through Guitar Center, it makes me drool like I do in the bike store. 

2014-12-09 9:33 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by cdban66

Tony, you are on a slippery slope  My 1 guitar is now 5 with 2 amps. Enjoy walking through Guitar Center, it makes me drool like I do in the bike store. 

lol, I know.  However, I can get a lot of guitars for what I paid for my Tri bike, so I can always tell my wife it's a "cheaper" hobby.  haha

I'm still going to look at several and have the sales dude play a few for me, but I've been eyeballing this one the last couple times I was at the store:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-Black-and-Chrome-Fat-Strat-Electric-Guitar-103212932-i1147427.gc

2014-12-09 12:49 PM

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

Tony, Tony, Tony...  Very slippery slope you are starting into.  I have probably owned 15 different electric guitars and 4 acoustic guitars, and bass guitars, and mandolin, and fiddle, and 15 harmonicas, PA gear, effects units, pedals, wireless, and it has exceeded any of the money spent on tri stuff.  But, I quit buying cheap guitars after age 23  or so.  There are sooooo many options in guitars these days, that I am glad I am only playing bass these days and have one well setup bass that I use for my electric gigs and my double bass that I use for my acoustic gigs.  I just sold my last other electric fretless bass, so I am down to one electric, but may start looking for another again. I know much better musicians that can make a $100.00 guitar sound amazing, but that is because they have really worked hard over the years playing guitar.  Make sure you are getting a full setup if you are buying from Guitar Center, because most of their stuff is taken out of the box and thrown on the wall with nothing more than a quick tune.  Most need serious intonation and neck work to get it playing as it should.

Good luck with your new purchase and hope you really get to enjoy learning and playing.

2014-12-09 1:22 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by flip18436572

Tony, Tony, Tony...  Very slippery slope you are starting into.  I have probably owned 15 different electric guitars and 4 acoustic guitars, and bass guitars, and mandolin, and fiddle, and 15 harmonicas, PA gear, effects units, pedals, wireless, and it has exceeded any of the money spent on tri stuff.  But, I quit buying cheap guitars after age 23  or so.  There are sooooo many options in guitars these days, that I am glad I am only playing bass these days and have one well setup bass that I use for my electric gigs and my double bass that I use for my acoustic gigs.  I just sold my last other electric fretless bass, so I am down to one electric, but may start looking for another again. I know much better musicians that can make a $100.00 guitar sound amazing, but that is because they have really worked hard over the years playing guitar.  Make sure you are getting a full setup if you are buying from Guitar Center, because most of their stuff is taken out of the box and thrown on the wall with nothing more than a quick tune.  Most need serious intonation and neck work to get it playing as it should.

Good luck with your new purchase and hope you really get to enjoy learning and playing.

Thanks bud.  BTW, I wasn't saying it's not an expensive hobby, I was merely expressing my strategy to get purchases past my wife.  "It's only $300 dollars honey, but you remember how much I spent on that Tri bike?  Boy, this is a really cheap hobby.. " lol

I've been having so much fun and it just keeps getting better.  I'm finally getting to the point where I'm trying to learn some songs, and it's really hard to describe the feeling of accomplishment when I can play (somewhat close) an intro or chorus to a song I've known my whole life.  

I did just spend the last hour at Guitar center with a really cool sales dude.  I explained what I was looking for and he grabbed a bunch of different guitars and played them all for me with everything from clean sounds to heavy metal.  I'm pretty sure I've narrowed it down to this one.  Come on Santa! 

The Squier I linked above just didn't feel right and the action was really high and hard for me to play.  This LTD just felt right and sounded a lot better to me.

2014-12-09 2:08 PM

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa
2014-12-09 2:39 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
2014-12-09 11:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
Sounds like you are on your way!! I'm now on Intermediate Foundation 2 from JustinGuitar.com. I've plays most of the songs from the beginner book and planning to get the music theory book that he put out.
2014-12-10 9:42 AM
in reply to: ecpasos

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by ecpasos Sounds like you are on your way!! I'm now on Intermediate Foundation 2 from JustinGuitar.com. I've plays most of the songs from the beginner book and planning to get the music theory book that he put out.

That's awesome.  I'm still hanging in beginner stage 3.  I could move on, but I'm making sure I learn all the chord transitions well and get the songs down before I hit the next one.

2014-12-12 7:48 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
IIWY I would also spend some time looking at the local used market; I just picked up an Epi Bonamassa Goldtop for less than half of what it would have been new (the one on the left):

Since I've picked up guitar again in '09 (after a three year hiatus), I've been picking up used gear for half or less of what it would have been new. I look for gear that has been gently used (the Bonamassa still had the plastic on the pickguard) and I've expanded my collection by a few guitars.

If you play a variety of music and would like versatility (single coil and humbucker) have a look for some guitars with a coil split (sometimes called coil tap) that will allow you to use only one of the humbuckers coils to get the single coil sound. Not quite like having single coils as in a Strat or Tele but a pretty good compromise IME.

Or you could look at something like the Squier Tele Custom - humbucking neck with single coil bridge:

Shane
2014-12-22 8:15 AM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Tony, my wife and I were talking about Christmas presents the other day and she mentioned the year that she got me lessons. I think I ended up taking lessons for about 6 months. I improved a lot during that time period, because  of (I think) the accountability and the theory discussions. Once I understood the theory a bit more (chord formations, sixths, minors, sevenths, augs, dims, etc) things came into focus a bit more. Also, once we started into different types of scales such as pentatonic and mixolidian and whatnot, I began to stretch more as a player. Just another avenue for you down the road.

Slippery slope I tell you.

2015-01-26 10:56 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I was goofing around last night practicing my changes between Emin to C9 to Gmaj.  I threw on a Kapo 2 and mixed in a Dadd9 after a while and it started to sound pretty cool.  I have really been focusing on learning chords and cord changes vs. learning songs because I want to get a strong foundation before I start learning them.  However, I thought it was pretty cool how a song kind of appeared out of my practice last night So I thought I'd share.  

For your amusement (mistakes and all)

I'm absolutely amazed at my progress after just 8 weeks.  I still remember freaking out trying to make a G chord and thinking I'd never be able to get it.  Now I'm thinking I might actually be able to do this.  ;-)

2015-01-26 12:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
Originally posted by tuwood

I was goofing around last night practicing my changes between Emin to C9 to Gmaj.  I threw on a Kapo 2 and mixed in a Dadd9 after a while and it started to sound pretty cool.  I have really been focusing on learning chords and cord changes vs. learning songs because I want to get a strong foundation before I start learning them.  However, I thought it was pretty cool how a song kind of appeared out of my practice last night So I thought I'd share.  

For your amusement (mistakes and all)

I'm absolutely amazed at my progress after just 8 weeks.  I still remember freaking out trying to make a G chord and thinking I'd never be able to get it.  Now I'm thinking I might actually be able to do this.  ;-)

Excellent!!
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Learning to play the Guitar Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Learning to Play Guitar

Started by jmcconne
Views: 1477 Posts: 16

2011-12-20 5:06 PM RedShark

Best method to learn guitar

Started by Kido
Views: 1884 Posts: 21

2010-05-27 3:41 PM SteveyD

Ever play "beer pong?" If still playing, DO NOT *ever* play against this guy

Started by LHablas
Views: 836 Posts: 6

2007-06-08 1:14 PM jimbo

Guitar Hero rocks!

Started by Denise2003
Views: 725 Posts: 5

2005-12-12 10:43 AM Denise2003

Favorite Guitar Riff

Started by Gatsby
Views: 1380 Posts: 21

2005-10-06 8:54 AM Gatsby
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 29, 2011
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
If swim workouts are much more trying than your bike and run workouts, try these tips

date : May 6, 2011
author : garyhallsr
Being comfortable in the water and knowing where your body parts are trump power and strength any day
date : December 2, 2010
author : Sara McLarty
This installment of the BT Swim Series will focus on open water swimming and four drills to help you better prepare for your event.

date : November 4, 2010
This installment of the BT Swim Series will focus on swimming tools and how best to use them. Includes pull buoys, kickboards, fins, paddles and snorkels.
date : October 5, 2010
This installment of the BT Swim Series will focus on the four major parts of the arm stroke in freestyle: Catch, Pull, Finish, & Recovery.

date : September 3, 2010
comments : 1
This installment of the BT Swim Series will focus on being efficient in the water. Learning how to swim smooth and efficiently is important to becoming a great swimmer.
date : August 2, 2010
comments : 19
This installment of the BT Swim Series will focus on breathing. Before you can swim fast, you must learn how to control your breathing so that easy swimming does not leave you gasping after one lap.

date : July 9, 2007
author : gsmacleod
Taking the time to have your running form analyzed can help many athletes run further, faster or both!