Other Resources My Cup of Joe » GPS tracker for Android Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2014-11-25 12:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Algonquin, IL
Subject: GPS tracker for Android
Yep, I am one of those people who DO NOT have a smart phone. My wife and I have used Tracfone for years because we really have no need for any other type of phone with a long term contract. However, Tracfone now if offering some Android devices and I might take the plunge.

Question regarding GPS tracker apps: When you are running the app out on a ride, is it using your data plan? I assume yes, which would eat into my data bucket that Tracfone uses. If I switch now, with 1400 minutes left, I get to “triple” that to 1400 talk, 1400 text and 1400 MB of data. Not sure how much data would be used up on a ride.

I am looking at this app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.greenalp.RealtimeT...

Edited by cartman1966 2014-11-25 12:50 PM

2014-11-26 8:58 AM
in reply to: cartman1966

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
Subject: RE: GPS tracker for Android

I'd say yup.  From my 60 second look-see it says it sends your location data via the internet, so you will be using data.  How much and how often is another story.  

2014-11-26 10:24 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Subject: RE: GPS tracker for Android

Originally posted by cartman1966 Yep, I am one of those people who DO NOT have a smart phone. My wife and I have used Tracfone for years because we really have no need for any other type of phone with a long term contract. However, Tracfone now if offering some Android devices and I might take the plunge. Question regarding GPS tracker apps: When you are running the app out on a ride, is it using your data plan? I assume yes, which would eat into my data bucket that Tracfone uses. If I switch now, with 1400 minutes left, I get to “triple” that to 1400 talk, 1400 text and 1400 MB of data. Not sure how much data would be used up on a ride. I am looking at this app. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.greenalp.RealtimeT...

Yes, it does use your data plan, but it is very minimal.  For example if you use Runkeeper or something like that, you install the app locally on your phone via wifi, so that's all free.  Then when you're using it, the app just runs and pulls GPS data from the internal GPS on the phone.  It may download minor map location updates and such while you're riding/running, but the overall usage is extremely small and I'd guess in most instances almost zero.

When you finish your run/bike and save your workout it will upload the information to your account, but that is also a very small amount of information that will require very little data.

On most android devices you can see how much data each application is using, so if you're concerned you can watch it pretty close.  I think it will be negligible though.

In general, streaming music/video, facebook, and email are your biggest data hogs on a smart phone.  The misc. apps doing things here and there use very little data, generally speaking. 

*edit*

One more thing.  1400MB (or 1.4G) is a ton of data to use.  I am what I consider a power user of my phone and get hundreds of emails per day, stream music/video on occasion and am constantly on social media.  I typically use between 2G-3G total per month.  If you're only using GPS apps and little else I would guess you'll be under 10MB for the entire month.

I just looked at my phone and I've been using MapMyhRun and MyFitnessPal almost daily for the past 3 months and combined they're less than 10MB of total data usage.

Edited by tuwood 2014-11-26 10:29 AM
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » GPS tracker for Android Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Android Apps

Started by wide awake
Views: 808 Posts: 18

2010-02-09 6:24 PM bradword

Android/XP Netbook

Started by Renee
Views: 552 Posts: 4

2010-01-15 9:27 AM Bripod

Questionable Applications Removed From Android Marketplace

Started by 1stTimeTri
Views: 464 Posts: 1

2010-01-12 1:05 PM 1stTimeTri

Korean Scientists Develop Female Android

Started by Spokes
Views: 468 Posts: 3

2006-05-06 2:23 AM tyrant

gps tracker

Started by tydarby
Views: 689 Posts: 4

2006-02-02 8:38 AM tydarby
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 19, 2010
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Use this redesigned feature of your training logs to keep track of your time and mileage on all of your gear including shoes, bikes, tires, clothes, etc.

date : May 8, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 0
Lots of updates in this version! Map your routes and elevation profiles of single sport workouts, bricks and races! Directly integrates into BT's training log to assign routes to workouts.