General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » What was I thinking! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-11-26 9:16 AM

Subject: What was I thinking!
Hi all! I am (obviously) new here. I am also a new (aspiring) athlete. Last week my 19 yr old son said he wanted to do a Triathlon...and I suggest that we do it together as a mother/son thing! I think my brain turned off for a moment. I am a 43 yr old overweight woman who can barely run, I have to rest after 25 yds of swimming, and yesterday was the first time on a bike since my boys were very little! I have been working on losing weight (have lost 12 lbs in the last 3 weeks) for my and my husband's 25th anniversary, we are doing a vow renewal. Now I have made the commitment to my youngest son to do a triathlon with him in 2016. We were going to do the 2015 one but we aren't sure we will be able to come up with the entrance fee, not to mention equipment needed by then. Our first triathlon will be the Louisville Ironman, but that won't be our first race. We plan on starting off slowly and doing some 5k's and working our way up to a sprint triathlon this year and then the big one next year. Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Right now we are using an 11 wk training plan for a sprint. I am saving up the $$ to join the Y so I can get my swimming in, that should happen in January. Right now I am using dryland training for my swim days. Look forward to being part of this community!

2014-11-26 1:52 PM
in reply to: #5070195

User image

Subject: RE: What was I thinking!
Welcome to the site! I'm also new, both to the site and triathlon. From what little I've read here so far everyone seems really nice. Keep us all updated with your progress towards the Ironman!
2014-11-26 2:04 PM
in reply to: Toffels

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: What was I thinking!

Welcome - this is a great place for support and getting answers to your questions. A good many of us have been in shoes - maybe not the same but similar to yours - starting fresh as an adult.  

A great place to start is to join a mentor group when they open up in December.  

Best of luck on your journey to IM Louisville - lots of folks on this site have done the race - and it should be even better with a cooler date in October! 

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » What was I thinking! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Hi, my name is Carrie and I think I am a race-aholic

Started by cmatczynski
Views: 1003 Posts: 3

2009-09-11 10:26 PM Chaderbox

I am a triathlete (I think)

Started by nosferatu
Views: 711 Posts: 4

2009-08-10 8:46 PM nickih

I think I am going to die...

Started by FootinMouth
Views: 730 Posts: 3

2008-03-26 1:31 PM BellinghamSpence

'Holy crap...what am I thinking?' from IL

Started by kappie72
Views: 1412 Posts: 20

2008-01-11 8:58 AM kappie72

What on earth am I thinking?

Started by Avigayil2006
Views: 913 Posts: 19

2006-07-08 3:59 PM sappho96
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : September 24, 2007
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on salt tablets, AM workout nutrition, coffee, post workout nutrition, whey powder, recovery nutrition, losing weight, Recoverite usage, the necessity of sugars and snack ideas.