General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Arizona 2015 : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2015-09-14 6:23 PM
in reply to: croyston

User image

Regular
Las Vegas
Subject: RE: Ironman Arizona 2015 : Official Thread
Hello everyone,
About the swim start. I agree that for IMAZ the mass start they have had is fine. There is a ton of room to spread out. For those who are worried about the swim they have a lot of room on the side or just what 60 seconds and then go at an easy pace.
I had no contact in 2013 and finished in 1:04. The other problem with rolling starts etc.. is when you finish the clock does not show your real time. Not that big of a deal if you have done multiple, but a big bummer if your a first timer. Your finish photo is all messed up.

I also wanted to thank everyone who posted concerning my lack of motivation several months ago. The posts really helped and I was surprised to see so many responses. So thanks!
After getting over 4 weeks of pneumonia my training has been gong well. I don't think I will PR but I should still be able to do well. I was hoping to get a sub one hour on the swim but with the time starting on the deck I doubt that will happen. I like having time to get water in the wet suit and swimming to the starting line. (I plan on bringing warm water and pouring it down my suit to get it comfortable. Hope it works)
So for motivation I started watching the almost weekly Ironman races online. I would just pick one or two people to randomly monitor during the day and then watch them cross the finish line. It was amazing how excited you can get to see a perfect stranger finish. I also met a guy who gets on the podium in almost all his Ironman races in my age group it was fun to talk with him. He has 10 kids and still gets it done. We even went on a 5k run together. I ran into him while I was on vacation.
Hope everyone is doing well with the training. For the first timers just stay consistant with your training and then on race day trust your training. Also remember to enjoy the last 100-200 meters! Slow down and soak up the cheering and have fun with it. Its never as good as your first one in my opinion.

2015-09-18 10:45 AM
in reply to: kloofyroland

User image

Originally posted by kloofyroland

I recommend a dynamic warmup routine like swinging your arms in circles, side to side, freestyle motion. Anything that will warmup your swimming muscles on land and get your heart rate up a bit but keep it short.

Thanks, Roland! That's good stuff but for me nothing helps my swim like a little warmup time actually in the water. Come what may, I will make do.
2015-09-28 10:30 AM
in reply to: mikoy

Regular
Corona
Originally posted by mikoy

Hello everyone,
About the swim start. I agree that for IMAZ the mass start they have had is fine. There is a ton of room to spread out. For those who are worried about the swim they have a lot of room on the side or just what 60 seconds and then go at an easy pace.
I had no contact in 2013 and finished in 1:04. The other problem with rolling starts etc.. is when you finish the clock does not show your real time. Not that big of a deal if you have done multiple, but a big bummer if your a first timer. Your finish photo is all messed up.

I also wanted to thank everyone who posted concerning my lack of motivation several months ago. The posts really helped and I was surprised to see so many responses. So thanks!
After getting over 4 weeks of pneumonia my training has been gong well. I don't think I will PR but I should still be able to do well. I was hoping to get a sub one hour on the swim but with the time starting on the deck I doubt that will happen. I like having time to get water in the wet suit and swimming to the starting line. (I plan on bringing warm water and pouring it down my suit to get it comfortable. Hope it works)
So for motivation I started watching the almost weekly Ironman races online. I would just pick one or two people to randomly monitor during the day and then watch them cross the finish line. It was amazing how excited you can get to see a perfect stranger finish. I also met a guy who gets on the podium in almost all his Ironman races in my age group it was fun to talk with him. He has 10 kids and still gets it done. We even went on a 5k run together. I ran into him while I was on vacation.
Hope everyone is doing well with the training. For the first timers just stay consistant with your training and then on race day trust your training. Also remember to enjoy the last 100-200 meters! Slow down and soak up the cheering and have fun with it. Its never as good as your first one in my opinion.

I never thought of that. AZ definitely has the room. My only experience with a true Mass Start is with the HITS series in Palm Springs and that was a bit of a joke.

How's training going? I can't believe it's 7 weeks away. I'm happy with my bike and run training at this point. BUT I'm panicking a bit with my swimming since I haven't had the time to get to a pool. I may have to sacrifice a run or ride to nail down as much swim fitness as I can this month to build up.
2015-09-28 2:18 PM
in reply to: tmoran07

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
I'd sacrifice a short run at this point to get another swim in. 3 swims a week here on out will definitely help one of which should be an hour to hour and a half long continuous OWS.

We all should be peaking in our volumes the next few weeks and I'm talking training 15-20 hours worth of all 3 sports in addition to that, some ST to keep the body strong and injury free.
2015-09-28 3:20 PM

User image

I'd sacrifice a short run at this point to get another swim in. 3 swims a week here on out will definitely help one of which should be an hour to hour and a half long continuous OWS.

We all should be peaking in our volumes the next few weeks and I'm talking training 15-20 hours worth of all 3 sports in addition to that, some ST to keep the body strong and injury free.

Awesome work getting in that much training. Running into time challenges getting above 12 hours per week. It's a give and take with my family. Took my son with me to swim relay yesterday, so that was a way to spend family time and still swim 2 miles. Hoping to find a way to squeeze a few weeks at 13-14 hours. Have a couple more long runs left...18 tomorrow and 20 in a few weeks. I cannot believe it's only 7 weeks away. This is my first, so definitely starting to get nervous.
2015-09-28 4:17 PM
in reply to: StevenC

User image

Originally posted by StevenC

This is my first, so definitely starting to get nervous.

Right there with you, Steven! Me too!

2015-09-28 6:13 PM
in reply to: kalish

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by kalish

First timer here too!!!
2015-09-28 6:58 PM

User image

First timer here too!!!

Cool I just hope fall comes to the southwest at some point. This is one looooong summer. Bailed on Silverman this weekend to concentrate on this race and another 95 degree race might put me in a deep hole. My wife saw me at finish line last year and thought I should quit the sport. It wasn't pretty. Let's push thru these last few weeks and enjoy race day.
2015-09-30 8:35 AM

Regular
Corona

First timer here too!!!

Cool I just hope fall comes to the southwest at some point. This is one looooong summer. Bailed on Silverman this weekend to concentrate on this race and another 95 degree race might put me in a deep hole. My wife saw me at finish line last year and thought I should quit the sport. It wasn't pretty. Let's push thru these last few weeks and enjoy race day.

Amen to that! It looks like it's FINALLY going to start cooling down here into the 80's.

Crazy story from yesterday...for those of you from So Cal, I was riding on the SART (Santa Ana Rivertrail) and I left from Angel Stadium, cruised down to HB and planned on doing around 25-30 miles. About 4 miles into my return trip I was cruising along in the aero position and was coming up on a guy on a beach cruiser. I yelled "On your left" and that's when he TURNED LEFT. I basically t-boned the guy with my aero bars jamming him in the ribs. I flipped up and over him and landed on the other side. Needless to say neither one of us was happy. I don't know if there has ever been more f-bombs collectively dropped in an exchange of profanity that would not make my mother very happy. This guy was asking for my ID saying I was liable for any damage and all this. I'm fine and he seemed ok. Freaked me out more than anything else. Funny thing is when I got up the first thing I thought of was "Oh God I hope my bike is ok.". Maybe I should slow down...
2015-09-30 3:56 PM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by tmoran07

Amen to that! It looks like it's FINALLY going to start cooling down here into the 80's.

Crazy story from yesterday...for those of you from So Cal, I was riding on the SART (Santa Ana Rivertrail) and I left from Angel Stadium, cruised down to HB and planned on doing around 25-30 miles. About 4 miles into my return trip I was cruising along in the aero position and was coming up on a guy on a beach cruiser. I yelled "On your left" and that's when he TURNED LEFT. I basically t-boned the guy with my aero bars jamming him in the ribs. I flipped up and over him and landed on the other side. Needless to say neither one of us was happy. I don't know if there has ever been more f-bombs collectively dropped in an exchange of profanity that would not make my mother very happy. This guy was asking for my ID saying I was liable for any damage and all this. I'm fine and he seemed ok. Freaked me out more than anything else. Funny thing is when I got up the first thing I thought of was "Oh God I hope my bike is ok.". Maybe I should slow down...

Oh man, scary thing to happen this close to race day. Whenever I'm on a MUP and I see kids, beach cruisers, or anyone with no helmet, I slow way down and pass carefully if it's safe. I sure wanna go as fast as I can but then I think, the few seconds lost from slowing down will be better than getting hurt or hurting them.

Is your body still feeling okay from that crash? Did you give that guy your ID?
2015-09-30 6:42 PM

User image

Oh man, scary thing to happen this close to race day. Whenever I'm on a MUP and I see kids, beach cruisers, or anyone with no helmet, I slow way down and pass carefully if it's safe. I sure wanna go as fast as I can but then I think, the few seconds lost from slowing down will be better than getting hurt or hurting them.

Glad you and your bike are ok. That trail is great training for AZ because its flat with no lights, stops signs or cars but pedestrians, pets and slow cruising bikes can be worse. Be safe out there.

2015-09-30 7:15 PM

Regular
Corona

Glad you and your bike are ok. That trail is great training for AZ because its flat with no lights, stops signs or cars but pedestrians, pets and slow cruising bikes can be worse. Be safe out there.

Body is good. I have a small scrape on my knee but that's it. I was fully expecting to have a little soreness but nada. After I was able to calm down I had the thought enter my mind how disappointed I'd be if I got injured by this with 6 1/2 weeks out from my first IM. Granted I'm looking to finish but I'd like to have a good time and limit my time with Jesus during the race.

I absolutely did not give that dude any information. He also didn't give me an opportunity to if I were going to. He was standing over me yelling at me until I stood up. I am in no means a "Big Guy" (I'm 6' @ 200lbs) but I am built more for war than for speed. Once I stood up and started barking back at him he took off. Usually the first 3-4 miles from the beach are pretty crowded and I take it easy through there so nothing like this happens. But I was past that and it was during the middle of the day so usually there isn't anyone out there.

Holy smokes...we are 6 1/2 weeks out...
2015-10-01 1:16 PM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Whew, good to hear there wasn't a brawl or anything like that.

Dude, you're right! Less than 7 weeks away! Woohoo!

I've been putting alota work in my bike fitness the past couple months and it's showing (tagged a 12% increase in my FTP during a test ride this morning).

Gonna do an IMAZ simulation starting with a swim at Malibu this Saturday morning. About an hour swim, super long bike ride, and a run after. Super excited to test my bike mettle on the flats since I've been doing so much climbing during all my long bike rides since Vineman 70.3 last July.
2015-10-01 3:58 PM

User image

I've been putting alota work in my bike fitness the past couple months and it's showing (tagged a 12% increase in my FTP during a test ride this morning).

Gonna do an IMAZ simulation starting with a swim at Malibu this Saturday morning. About an hour swim, super long bike ride, and a run after. Super excited to test my bike mettle on the flats since I've been doing so much climbing during all my long bike rides since Vineman 70.3 last July.

That's a big jump in FTP. Awesome. Be safe on PCH. I crashed a couple months ago right by the pier in Malibu. But, it's a good place to do some flat, longer rides. I have a 95 mile ride on Sat too and then short run. I will probably head from the South Bay up to Cross Creek then back down and do a bunch of loops behind LAX. If I leave before 6a, I can beat the beach traffic.

BTW, I see on your logs that you swim at Verdugo. That's my pool too. I swim during lunch with GRA team.
2015-10-01 6:06 PM

Regular
Corona

That's a big jump in FTP. Awesome. Be safe on PCH. I crashed a couple months ago right by the pier in Malibu. But, it's a good place to do some flat, longer rides. I have a 95 mile ride on Sat too and then short run. I will probably head from the South Bay up to Cross Creek then back down and do a bunch of loops behind LAX. If I leave before 6a, I can beat the beach traffic.

BTW, I see on your logs that you swim at Verdugo. That's my pool too. I swim during lunch with GRA team.

Looks like this is going to be a big weekend for most of us. I have a 80+ mile ride planned followed with a 60 minute run after. I'll be practicing race day nutrition and pacing. On Sunday I'll be running my first 20+ mile run ever. Kinda stoked about that. We will see how my fueling and recovery go.
2015-10-01 6:43 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Looks like this is going to be a big weekend for most of us. I have a 80+ mile ride planned followed with a 60 minute run after. I'll be practicing race day nutrition and pacing. On Sunday I'll be running my first 20+ mile run ever. Kinda stoked about that. We will see how my fueling and recovery go.

That's a long weekend. Good luck with the 20 miler. I did 18 on Tues, which was my longest to date. Have 20 in a couple weeks.

Edited by StevenC 2015-10-01 6:43 PM

2015-10-01 7:37 PM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA

Thanks! Cool! It's a nice pool and I wish I worked close to one so I can swim during lunch breaks and get more bike training after work. I'm usually there Thursday or Friday nights. Usually Friday nights since I can swim there at 6:30pm whereas Thursdays at 7:30pm due to their scheduling.
2015-10-04 11:47 AM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
How was your long bike ride and run Steven? My IMAZ simulation was a success! Swam well enough despite being short due to helping a swimmer freaking out. Held my RPE, HR, and power output mostly steady at race pace effort throughout the bike ride and all the Sept hill climbing really paid off during the windy segments. My run went as expected and I didn't feel like I was gonna die, hehehe!

My nutrition felt spot on too, no cramps, dizziness, no nothin! However, I did feel an odd sensation visually as we turned into the Camarillo farm area. It may have been due to the how much the sun was shining or the environment. It's very hard to describe how that felt but when I looked down and the road 10-20 feet ahead of me instead of way far ahead I felt much better. I guess it was a bit of vertigo or something? Nothing was wrong with my tummy, hmmm...
2015-10-05 11:02 AM

User image

Great work Roland. IM training plus saving lives. I like it.

Glad your nutrition is spot on. Crazy about the vertigo. Just be careful. Don't want to be cruising at 20MPH and lose it.

Had solid efforts too. Knocked out 8.5 hours of training between the 2 days so ready for off day today with just stretching and core. 95 mile bike on Sat went well. Tried to find route with less hills and stops. Went up to Cross Creek and on the return hit San Vicente with 5 loops around Brentwood GC. Then 5 loops around Westchester Pkwy by LAX. Pretty boring route but plenty of time in aero and less stops. Managed to hold power steady the whole way. Nutrition is getting there. Been doing liquid (Infinit) to keep my stomach from acting out but that leaves me a bit hungry after 5 hours. So starting to work in 1 or 2 small bars. It's a work in progress but felt good.

This is a recovery week then 4 weeks of really pushing it.
2015-10-05 12:28 PM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks. You had an awesome weekend too! I had the same problem when I was testing Infinit as well so I went back to eating small Clif Bars every half hour or so. Seems to do the trick and I don't feel hungry.

Enjoy the recovery week man. I had my recovery week last week so here on out is peak volume with race specific training and tapering down 3 weeks out from race day.
2015-10-06 10:09 AM

Regular
Corona
Need some feedback here guys,

The tri club that my wife and I are part of put on their own Half-Iron distance race and this year it's on 10/24. What do you guys think about me doing that "race" with my wife (about 75% of my usual effort level) and following it up on Sunday (10/25) with a long easy ride to finish up peak volume and begin my taper phase? It'll give me a good indicator of what I need to adjust on the bike and run for nutrition on a course that is very similar to IMAZ for the bike. Thoughts?

2015-10-06 1:13 PM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA

The tri club that my wife and I are part of put on their own Half-Iron distance race and this year it's on 10/24. What do you guys think about me doing that "race" with my wife (about 75% of my usual effort level) and following it up on Sunday (10/25) with a long easy ride to finish up peak volume and begin my taper phase? It'll give me a good indicator of what I need to adjust on the bike and run for nutrition on a course that is very similar to IMAZ for the bike. Thoughts?

Hmmm, 3 weeks out is really close but it's a good idea to use that race to lock in your nutrition plan. I recommend dialing down the effort exerted and just "participate" at an effort slightly below your IMAZ race pace. I'm thinking an effort that will not make your long bike ride performance suffer the day after.

How long of a bike ride are you planning on doing after that race?
2015-10-06 1:43 PM

User image

Hmmm, 3 weeks out is really close but it's a good idea to use that race to lock in your nutrition plan. I recommend dialing down the effort exerted and just "participate" at an effort slightly below your IMAZ race pace. I'm thinking an effort that will not make your long bike ride performance suffer the day after.

I'm not an expert since this is my first 140.3. I agree I wouldn't push anything harder than your AZ paces but wouldn't think that type of mileage would affect you 3 weeks out. My plan has my longest bike ride on 10/23 and run on 10/27. So pretty short taper for me too.
2015-10-06 4:10 PM

Regular
Corona

I'm not an expert since this is my first 140.3. I agree I wouldn't push anything harder than your AZ paces but wouldn't think that type of mileage would affect you 3 weeks out. My plan has my longest bike ride on 10/23 and run on 10/27. So pretty short taper for me too.

Totally agree with you guys here. My plan was to go around 75% of IM pace and keep my heart rate in complete check. This would definitely be a "participation effort". Really just get the mileage in and practice nutrition.

My ride the day after would be a 5.5-6hr ride. That would put me around 110-120 miles and that is supposed to be my last big mileage workout before taper.
2015-10-08 10:29 AM

Regular
Corona
I'm headed out to AZ to visit my mom and sisters and to preview the course. Anyone else going to be in town?
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Arizona 2015 : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 6

RELATED POSTS

Ironman Arizona : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Dino019
Views: 70253 Posts: 739

2014-05-07 6:04 AM laurajo45

Ironman Arizona : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70

Started by bar92
Views: 117162 Posts: 1744

2012-11-29 5:58 PM jennitris

Ironman Arizona : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35

Started by velcromom
Views: 75616 Posts: 852

2011-11-26 4:13 PM ouradventure

Ironman Arizona : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28

Started by ShawnFromNorfolk
Views: 82264 Posts: 688

2010-12-28 6:38 PM TheNoid

Ironman Arizona : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by evillarroel
Views: 108398 Posts: 1334

2009-11-28 7:52 PM dave699
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 7, 2008
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 2
Thousands of spectators lined the shore and bridges overhead. When the announcer said, “Welcome to the best day of your life,” the possibility was still there for all of us.

date : May 22, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 4
It is my opinion that even though everyone else considered her a triathlete, she did not consider herself one. I think she still felt like she had no fitness direction and had given up on triathlon.
date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:

date : November 14, 2004
author : eclaire
comments : 0
Newbie blunders teach the mind to overcome the moment, and always have fun!