General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Switch Aero System Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-11-29 9:05 PM

User image

Subject: Switch Aero System
I stumbled across this system earlier today and found it intriguing (http://www.redshiftsports.com/switch-aero-system/). I've been wanting to add clip-on aero bars to my bike, and this seems interesting as it includes the clip-on aero bars and allows the seat to move between a typical "road bike" position, and a more aerodynamic "tri bike" position. I am worried, however, that it's just a big gimmick. Does anyone have any experience with this product? If not, opinions? It's a bit pricey and I don't want to waste my money on a sub-standard product with good marketing.

2014-11-30 8:25 AM
in reply to: Toffels

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Switch Aero System
RedShift has some solid engineering behind it, so the product work as intended. The only problem is that the intended function is a horrible compromise… A road bike is NOT designed with a forward weight distribution. You're MUCH better off keeping your road position and get aero bars that fits to you, rather than try to fit you to them. BTW, RedShift aero bars are really nice and easy to remove when you're not using them.
2014-11-30 9:18 AM
in reply to: #5070744

User image

Thanks for the quick reply! So you would suggest skipping the whole adjustable seat thing and going with just the redshift aero bars? If they're good aero bars I have no problem spending the money on them, but I've been burned by stuff before and therefore tend to do all sorts of research before dropping that much money.
2014-11-30 12:00 PM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Absolutely. Skip the seat post and get the aero bars. The biggest benefit of them is that they have a quick release system so easy to remove when you're riding in a group. If you intend to keep them on at all times, then you can get just as good (or even better) aero bars at a lower cost.
2014-12-01 4:49 PM

User image

Toffels,

I'm one of the creators of the system and just wanted to jump in and share a couple of recent independent reviews of the system.  

DC Rainmaker did a very detailed review here: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/07/redshift-aero-system-review.html

And Triathlete magazine did a review here: http://triathlon.competitor.com/2014/06/gear-tech/make-road-bike-aero_100412

The seatpost is designed to provide a better aero fit for when you want to ride on the aerobars, without compromising your normal road setup.  As amateur triathletes ourselves, we wanted to be able to compete in triathlons on our road bikes, but still have the option of going out for a group ride without having to spend a bunch of effort re-fitting the bike for different rides.  If you have any other questions about the system, feel free to reach out here or on our contact page.

Thanks for your interest,

-Stephen

Co-Founder, Redshift Sports

2014-12-04 8:33 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, USA
There is little doubt that the redshift system is high quality, it has gotten positive reviews about that. However, the other poster is correct, unfortunately the concept can make for a poor compromise on a road bike. With the redshift system, you end up moving your body quite a bit forward on your road bike, and this can make the bike handle poorly, especially during braking, descending, and cornering. In general (depending on the fit of course), a 'tri bike' converted to a drop bar 'road bike' typically does far better than does a 'road bike' converted to a 'tri bike'. If you're looking to get more comfort and better aerodynamics for triathlon on your drop bar road bike and are wondering how best to upgrade or move forward, you may find this previous BT post by me somewhat helpful to read:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Greg @ dsw

Edited by DarkSpeedWorks 2014-12-04 8:40 AM

2014-12-04 11:09 PM
in reply to: #5070744

User image

Thanks for all the info everyone! Right now I'm leaning towards avoiding the redshift seat but going with their aero bars. I like the fact that they're easy to take on and off but are apparently very stable once on.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Switch Aero System Rss Feed