Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-12-01 3:18 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: Training Camps?

Hi all,

Wondering about your experience with training camps.  I've seen them and know several coaching outfits around here offer various options - warm weather, race specific, demographic specific.  Have you attended one? What were you hoping to get out of it? And did you get it? Was it worth it? Are there any really awesome ones out there? 

Why I ask? I personally, am thinking about it as a little solo get-away where I could train to my heart's content. My hubby and i each agree to a solo trip each year (he usually goes skiing) and I was thinking about a destination half-marathon in the spring but I don't really see any races I want to do.  I would like to go to a warmer place and swim/bike/run for a bit, get some feedback, socialize with other triathletes - it would be great to do so without feeling like i am in the work/family squeeze for just a few days (have a 1.5 year old child at home).  

I am not super fast but i don't think i am BOP either ... i have lots of room to improve on the swim (adult on-set swimmer) and bike. The run I can definitely improve on but it's my strong suit.  

2014-12-01 3:30 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Training Camps?

http://thecyclinghouse.com/tucson-training-camp-explained/

Pick any of these and my bet is you won't be disaapointed.  I can't couch for each camp listed, but I know people who have been to 4 of them and they come home REALLY happy with the trip.  My son has spent 10 days out there in March,  for the last two years, and loves it.  He can't wait to go back again. 

2014-12-02 1:13 AM

User image

Elite
Originally posted by juniperjen

Hi all,

Wondering about your experience with training camps.  I've seen them and know several coaching outfits around here offer various options - warm weather, race specific, demographic specific.  Have you attended one? What were you hoping to get out of it? And did you get it? Was it worth it? Are there any really awesome ones out there? 

Why I ask? I personally, am thinking about it as a little solo get-away where I could train to my heart's content. My hubby and i each agree to a solo trip each year (he usually goes skiing) and I was thinking about a destination half-marathon in the spring but I don't really see any races I want to do.  I would like to go to a warmer place and swim/bike/run for a bit, get some feedback, socialize with other triathletes - it would be great to do so without feeling like i am in the work/family squeeze for just a few days (have a 1.5 year old child at home).  

I am not super fast but i don't think i am BOP either ... i have lots of room to improve on the swim (adult on-set swimmer) and bike. The run I can definitely improve on but it's my strong suit.  

Highly recommend a trip to Thanyapura Institute in Phuket, Thailand if you can get there.
2014-12-02 12:36 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

I've done my own with one person or a group of friends in Tucson, San Diego and Maui. Some of my friends are fast, so it was a good camp for me. Also, Tucson and San Diego offered some fast group rides. So these were awesome deals and if you are willing to put your own training plan together, you can structure them around well know group rides. It was also nice to ride somewhere warm when the weather is really crappy here.

I've also done some BC women's ones for the last three years. These are local 4 day camps in late February and are held by a provincial coach. It's a totally different experience. You get to develop some camaraderie with people you will be racing with, you get tougher training in the crap weather that you may be racing in and you really get to focus on skills and development. As well, the coach followed us with spare wheels, bottles, extra clothing etc, so it made training extra easy. Both were great experiences.

I've also done quite a bit of bike touring that you could maybe count as training. LSD training.

2014-12-02 10:55 PM
in reply to: jeng

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
I've hosted a camp in Monterey CA for the last 2 years. I tie it into the same weekend as the Sea Otter Classic, which if you've never been you should try and go. I tell everyone, if they love bikes, they'll love the Sea Otter!!! 4 days of bike races, expo, food, friends and fun.

We then do the camp for a few days. What people have enjoyed the most is just being able to focus on training, eating, fun stories with new friends and exploring new roads.

Here's the link to the review, maps and pics from this years camp.

http://www.tzcoaching.com/2014/04/25/2014-california-training-camp-...

I'll likely won't do anything "official" in 2015, but a few of us do plan on just riding out there in Monterey around the same time. More then welcome to join in on the fun!
2014-12-03 7:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Have you ever thought of doing IMFL This is a camp that will get people ready for GCT 70.3. It's in April and is free. http://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/event?oeidk=a07ea0it...

GCT 70.3 is a sneak peek to IMFL.

2014-12-03 7:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I believe Lisa Bentley holds some camps down in Clermont. I am not sure if it's just for her athletes or is open to everyone

There is a place in Mtl that holds one usually early April although this year is mid March in Clermont. It's really well done.

Clermont is a really good destination for us Canucks. Easy flights to Orlando and really good training infrastructure including the National Training Center.

2014-12-03 1:24 PM

User image

Champion
MA

I did one, back in 2010.  I chose this one as it had people of all abilities, focused mostly on cycling which if you do a big week is what our bodies can handle best, and it was at a decent cost. I think I did about 25 hours that week and I skipped most all the runs due to knee injury. Lots of beautiful places to ride and see while riding. Plus the catering and food included was good.

http://solvangtriathloncamps.com/

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Camps? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Early season training camp/vacation

Started by Cavu9
Views: 2042 Posts: 10

2006-10-25 8:07 AM Rencor

Tri Training Camp in Spain

Started by RGRBILL
Views: 1142 Posts: 8

2006-04-15 6:28 PM Drewwhite

Question re: Multisports.com training camps, etc

Started by OldAg92
Views: 634 Posts: 3

2005-09-05 5:47 AM Tri Take Me Away

Arizona Ultrafit Training Camp

Started by Zucco
Views: 775 Posts: 1

2004-12-08 6:23 PM Zucco

training camps

Started by krispns
Views: 676 Posts: 6

2004-09-10 2:26 PM grvfrog
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 14, 2008
author : Birkierunner
comments : 2
Watch the highlights and tips of this years IMWI BT mini-camp put on by Birkierunner.

date : September 15, 2004
author : tboepple
comments : 0
Women / Masters / Special Needs - Lauren Maule, Diane Proud, Tom Rodgers
date : September 3, 2004
Joe Friel - Periodization

Joe Friel, Bike Technique & Training (Physiology)
Aero Positioning on the Bike – John Cobb

Details on the first Texas Triathlon Camp with Tom Rodgers, Joe Friel, John cobb, Lauren Maule and Andre Rizo.