General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Searching for some guidance Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-12-01 10:44 PM

New user

Adelaide, South Australia
Subject: Searching for some guidance
Hi folks,

My name is Malcolm and I'm hoping for some guidance from you all regarding where and how to start training for my first triathlon in over 20 years. I'm 46 this year and have spent the last 2 years finishing my Nursing degree after 8 years as a medic in the Australian Army. In 2 years I go back to the Army and I am trying to get a head start on my fitness as I've put on a bit of weight. When I was in my early twenties I was much fitter and had a go at a couple of sprint triathlons and now I want to give it another shot.

I'm moving to Melbourne, Australia next year and was hoping to try my hand at a short distance tri (Hopefully one of the Gatorade series races) to see if I'm into it or not.

I have a road bike and feel fairly confident with that having ridden on & off for the last few years. The running will be a struggle as I am really unfit at the moment however I have a couch to 5k podcast that I can run with and I have run when I had to before I started studying.

My main concern (fear) is swimming. I am not a strong swimmer and have a real fear of open water having had a bad experience a few years ago during the last tri I attempted. My lack of fitness means swimming consists of 50m laps with longish rests.

Should I just persist and focus more on spending time in the pool or follow a beginner program?
Does the fear of open water swimming ease with time?
What is the basic equipment I should get in order to do my first tri?

Thanks,
Robbo

Edited by Robbo68 2014-12-01 11:01 PM

2014-12-02 1:11 PM
in reply to: Robbo68

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Searching for some guidance
Hi and welcome!

Keep working on the swim, and definitely get some open water swims planned before the tri. With all the adrenaline flowing through your veins on race day, it's enough to make even confident swimmers have the occasional panicky feeling.

Can you join a tri training group or get some one-on-one instruction?

As for the bike and run, you've got a solid plan in place, so go for it!
2014-12-02 3:24 PM
in reply to: melanfi

New user

Adelaide, South Australia
Thanks for the advice. I haven't looked into training groups as yet but I will when we get to Melbourne in the new year. Working shift work will be something I have to work around but I'm sure I can
2014-12-16 8:23 AM

User image

, North Carolina
Welcome. Just to piggy back, get into the pool and swim. Good luck and ask questions we're here to help.

2014-12-16 9:53 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, Nebraska
Originally posted by Nick B

Welcome. Just to piggy back, get into the pool and swim. Good luck and ask questions we're here to help.

THIS^^^^^^^^^^
Time in the water = Comfort in the water.

When I was planning on doing a Tri several years back, I wasn't a good swimmer, or runner.

Running.
Couch to 5k. Start it now, and don't think about how slow of a start it is. Just do every single planned workout. Seriously. Don't think about it AT ALL. Just go out, and start walking. Before you know it, you will have the C25k program done, and will be hungry for more!

Swimming.
I struggled for quite a while, thinking that I knew what I was doing was good enough. I wasn't getting faster. It was tough to complete much more than a few 100's without being gassed. Finally, I decided to try a new technique, and it worked for me. Total Immersion. I watched every YouTube video I could on it. I think I had a swimming book for triathletes too, but I don't remember what one. I also taught myself how to flip-turn via YouTube vids. Before I knew it, I was swimming with long, slow, gliding strokes. I was also much faster. I could swim as long as I wanted. It came time for the Open water stuff, and although I was nervous about it, it was a piece of cake. (I also kicked my friends butt on every single tri swim we ever did ) When I had my highest levels of training going, there were times I just didn't want to go run, or ride. I would swim instead. It's now my favorite discipline.

I am currently starting over with all of this. I took the last 4yrs off from regular fitness, and have been at home with my two little kids (3.5yrs and 22mo). I am in week 3 of a C25k (endomondo app). Cycling will start with the Beginner Cycling Program next month (bike on trainer, it's winter here), and I will get back into the pool some then too. Actual Sprint training program won't start until April.

I'm no expert, but I can totally relate to where you are coming from!
Cheers,

Edited by fifthcircle 2014-12-16 9:53 AM
2014-12-16 2:03 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Welcome to the sport and to BT Malcolm.  

I'll address your equipment question first as it's the easier one.  

You need a bicycle and helmet.  
You need clothing suitable for swimming then riding then running.  This can be a pair of tri-shorts, or it could be the swim suit or swim trunks you already have.  Try riding and running in your swim kit.  If it doesn't chafe or cause pain/discomfort you don't NEED to buy a pair of tri shorts.  (I rode a 10 speed for several years without owning bike shorts, but I was young then.)  
You need a pair of shoes that you can ride/run in.  

I'd recommend also getting a pair of goggles for the swim (but think about it...kids swim in the ocean all the time without goggles...), sunglasses for the ride/run (a bug in the eye at 30 km/hr hurts), and a race belt (a piece of elastic you attach your race number to rather than pin it to your shorts/shirt).  You might also bring sunscreen, a towel, stuff to clean up with, and a change of clothes.  

The race will provide a swim cap and race numbers.  

You *probably* won't need a wetsuit.  

As for getting comfortable in the water.  

It isn't just about spending time in the water.  It's about getting your mind at ease while you are in the water.  Immersing yourself for an hour while hyperventilating the whole time isn't going to accomplish anything besides wasting an hour of your life.  Take some lessons (tell the instructor about your previous experience).  While swim lessons are good, you really want an instructor more focused on water acclimation and overcoming fear rather than honing technique.  (Honestly, you're unlikely to get much from an instructor fine tuning your stroke mechanics if you're mind is anxiously racing ahead to find your fears of repeating your disastrous experience).  If you can't do lessons, spend your time slowly building confidence and comfort in the water.  This starts even before you get to the pool...If you find yourself dreading the workout and anxious about how you'll perform, you'll often get exactly that.  If you can look forward to a fun, relaxing, swim, you're more likely to experience THAT as well.  Keep your initial workouts short enough that you can maintain focus on positive aspects of the workout.  

15 minutes of positive swim time is a lot better than 60 minutes of negative swim time.  As much as you can, end on a positive note, even if that means successfully completing something you're picturing as "easy."   

2014-12-17 9:35 AM
in reply to: McFuzz

Welcome!
As a fairly new swimmer myself I'd say the number one thing that got me from 25 Yards (out of breath) to 200 Yards (feeling fine) is:
RELAX.
It may take you a while but relaxation is the key. If you're relaxed you'll breathe easy. If you're relaxed your muscles won't be tense and you won't wear out so quickly.
Remember - The air is always there. You can always turn on your back if need be and have all the air you need.
Good luck!
2014-12-17 12:33 PM
in reply to: fifthcircle

User image

, North Carolina
2x on Total Immersion.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Searching for some guidance Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

wanting to try a duathlon need some guidance

Started by alexbward
Views: 1008 Posts: 6

2008-03-06 7:10 PM trixie

Newbie in need of guidance

Started by goingthere
Views: 986 Posts: 12

2008-02-16 1:54 PM goingthere

Noob from SoCal -- in dire need of some guidance

Started by wallbangr
Views: 1068 Posts: 11

2008-01-17 4:46 PM wallbangr

New and in need of guidance

Started by kweber
Views: 824 Posts: 10

2007-04-23 10:51 AM surfnturf

Looking for guidance from Washington

Started by airlop
Views: 851 Posts: 7

2005-07-06 2:34 PM MKraus64
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 20, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
Triathlon style is no longer defined in the Nuevo replication of wool cycling jerseys and neon footwear. The style of swim/bike/run is a look and feel and way of being in the multisport world.

date : June 11, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
When people say that sport is “just a game” don’t believe them. Love is not just hanging out with someone that you like and raising a family isn’t just putting food on the table. Sport is more too.
date : September 6, 2011
author : alicefoeller
The pros and cons of training with a group or training partner